• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shun's House of Pancakes -Closed. What you see is what you get

What Should I Do Next?

• Total voters

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I've been eyeing his thread up for a while. You know when he'll take requests again?
Well ya see, about that.

As of now, he's not taking requests officially, however, he also stated that if it's something simple, like a basic recolor of the Brawl models, don't be afraid to ask him about it. When you do, he'll get to it when he get's to it.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Well ya see, about that.

As of now, he's not taking requests officially, however, he also stated that if it's something simple, like a basic recolor of the Brawl models, don't be afraid to ask him about it. When you do, he'll get to it when he get's to it.
Oh, alright. Most of the stuff I'm hoping for are custom models, so I guess I'll be waiting. haha

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Looks like Mewtwo2000 is about to release a bunch of Rim characters. The cool part? Marth and Ike are among them, as well as the Zelda crew. After he releases them, I'll update the characters he's done with proper Rim Lit versions.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Looks like Mewtwo2000 is about to release a bunch of Rim characters. The cool part? Marth and Ike are among them, as well as the Zelda crew. After he releases them, I'll update the characters he's done with proper Rim Lit versions.
Good news for those that use it (I don't have the setup to really enjoy it, so I don't use rim)! I'm guessing you based your rim light versions on his older ones, but if you hadn't, take this as a confirmation that they're out there.

NameChange

Banned via Warnings
Shun, if you don't have a Lord class texture for Ike when you do him, I'm gonna cry.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Words do not convey how fantastic your version of Lord Ike is. All I've got is the recolor, I can't wait for this.
Wish I could take credit, but this lovely WIP model is the work of a good friend of mind, Vert092. He and I typically work together on Fire Emblem hacks and currently have Hero Ike, Vanguard Ike, Awakening Roy, and an Awakening Marth update in the works currently.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Wish I could take credit, but this lovely WIP model is the work of a good friend of mind, Vert092. He and I typically work together on Fire Emblem hacks and currently have Hero Ike, Vanguard Ike, Awakening Roy, and an Awakening Marth update in the works currently.
Sounds like you have a lot on the table hidden behind the curtains. In any case, the WIP looks amazing, and knowing that it's part of your Vibrant Ike set makes me look forward to it even more. Any plans for an Awakening Ike in the future, since there's an awakening version of the other two already? (It'd be nice to see Ike in 3D and see whether or not he's got a blade arm)

Taiko

Smash Ace
Any plans for an Awakening Ike in the future, since there's an awakening version of the other two already? (It'd be nice to see Ike in 3D and see whether or not he's got a blade arm)
Awakening Ike with a blade arm wouldn't work too well, so if it were to be done I'm guessing it'd be a mirror of his left arm in place of the blade.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Awakening Ike with a blade arm wouldn't work too well, so if it were to be done I'm guessing it'd be a mirror of his left arm in place of the blade.
Does he actually have this blade arm though, or is the picture of him in that pose just an illusion of perspective?

Taiko

Smash Ace
Does he actually have this blade arm though, or is the picture of him in that pose just an illusion of perspective?
It definitely is a blade arm, the elbow part of his armor isn't there. Plus the rest of the sword isn't there, it's just the blade.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
It definitely is a blade arm, the elbow part of his armor isn't there. Plus the rest of the sword isn't there, it's just the blade.
Just to make sure, I looked up the Ike DLC for Fire Emblem Awakening to see if he really had a blade for an arm. It is just an illusion of perspective with the official art, as the Ike in-game holds a sword with his hand normally.

Taiko

Smash Ace
Just to make sure, I looked up the Ike DLC for Fire Emblem Awakening to see if he really had a blade for an arm. It is just an illusion of perspective with the official art, as the Ike in-game holds a sword with his hand normally.
That's because they use generic class models. You can also see he has that arm guard/shield thing ingame, but he doesn't in the artwork. I don't think any of the DLC units have unique class models.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Since it's kind of relevant, allow me to clarify on the FE DLC interpretations. For the most part, most of them aren't really redesigns so much as them just putting the characters in the attire of another class. That's not to say that a few characters didn't get some cool redesigns as a result though.

Edit: I think the designers for Roy and Ike failed in what they were supposed to do because the game had to use generic models. What they were tasked with, was updating the characters art to fit these models. Some of them did great (Leaf, example) then others mislead players greatly (Roy and Ike). I can back up my claims because there's some Lyn concept art floating around where her garb is a lot more unique when compared to FE13 Swordmasters

Roy takes the FE13 Mercenary look, and then makes it look like it was his class from the get go. Roy is tricked out with a lot of personal elements that most of the other characters didn't get, which makes his standout more as a redesign when compared with the others. The fact that he has a cape and a headband

Ike is a personalized FE13 Hero that doesn't have the shields, nor the collar. The rest of his design mirrors that of other FE13 Hero's.

Progress Update:
Marth - Red, Green, and Blue at Revision 1
Ike - Red v2, Green v1, Blue v1

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
That's because they use generic class models. You can also see he has that arm guard/shield thing ingame, but he doesn't in the artwork. I don't think any of the DLC units have unique class models.
Well that's a damn shame, you'd think that they'd give the previous heroes more unique looks.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I love model alternates, and the Fire Emblem characters are definitely some of the most fitting for them. The only other character I can really think of them as necessary upon would probably be Samus.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
So I finally uploaded those Vibrant Falcon cBliss Recolors I made. Here are some things and junk:

[collapse=Captain Falcon cBliss Recolors]

[/collapse]

But wait there's more!

[collapse=Donkey Kong cBliss Recolors]

[/collapse]

And last but most certainly not least:

[collapse=Link cBliss Recolors]

[/collapse]

I accidentally made two of my new favorite Link colors... For the Purple one I literally accidentally hit the wrong button in Photoshop and that color came out. Instantly... well you don't wanna know what I did... But things happened when my eyes realized what I was seeing... :p And the Turquoise / Aqua Blue... whatever color blue that is... At first it was a random color I chose as well, and then I tried it in-game and it looked so much better.

Here are download links and such for each of these. You can add these to the OP for potential cBliss users if you want Shun.

Falcon: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=33736
Donkey: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=33741
Link: http://forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=33743

Zelda and Sheik would've been done... except I horribly destroyed one of Sheik's textures (because amateur). So I'm gonna redo that one and then upload them both.

Edit: Oh! Each download comes with CSP's for Shun's textures as well as mine. But if anyone would like to make some better ones... saaaayyy... a very gentlemanly person... I would be very much in the utmost of gratitudes...

210stuna

Smash Lord
Sweet Geezus

The Project: M Complete Extension Pack is in good hands.
Along with Shun's Vibrant works of art, it will be like mechanical goats taking over the lawn mower business!

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Sweet Geezus

The Project: M Complete Extension Pack is in good hands.
Along with Shun's Vibrant works of art, it will be like mechanical goats taking over the lawn mower business!
This metaphor makes me more proud than I have felt in a while.

Although I'm not really creating the content, I will say this: we will not fail you! This kind of stuff, and Shun's ninja skills, make it impossible.

Taiko

Smash Ace

[/collapse]

[/collapse]

[/collapse]
cBliss recolours are definitely tough, after maybe 1-2, you realize that there are only so many colours you can use.
Some observations I've made:

Falcon: I'm not sure, but I think 3 contrasting colours is the best way to go with Falcon. For most of them, you've only used two colours. A third, smaller colour for each of them would help make it more visually interesting, and stay true to Falcon's original costume I think. And I'm not sure I like the red/blue Falcon, since they're two opposite teams.

DK: These are quite good, though I notice a lot of red. The teal/blueish DK logos look odd to me though, the Brawl costumes never actually use anything other than yellow, so I'd use that as a reference. The yellow tie in Brawl does use a green logo though, but I think black might work too?

Link: These are probably the best out of the 3, the purple one is my personal favourite. I'm not really sure what could be changed, they look good to me!

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Taiko is definitely right about cBliss alts. It get's increasingly more difficult to find unique color combinations the more you make, which is why right now, I'm settling for just the normal vBrawl costumes. It'll give me a good idea of what ideas will actually work.

Amaze, I'll add links to your stuff in the OP at a later date when I get some time to buckle down and focus.

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
cBliss recolours are definitely tough, after maybe 1-2, you realize that there are only so many colours you can use.
Some observations I've made:

Falcon: I'm not sure, but I think 3 contrasting colours is the best way to go with Falcon. For most of them, you've only used two colours. A third, smaller colour for each of them would help make it more visually interesting, and stay true to Falcon's original costume I think. And I'm not sure I like the red/blue Falcon, since they're two opposite teams.

DK: These are quite good, though I notice a lot of red. The teal/blueish DK logos look odd to me though, the Brawl costumes never actually use anything other than yellow, so I'd use that as a reference. The yellow tie in Brawl does use a green logo though, but I think black might work too?

Link: These are probably the best out of the 3, the purple one is my personal favourite. I'm not really sure what could be changed, they look good to me!
I definitely do agree about that. Pikachu was ridiculous to make alts for. I ended up just making recolors of the articles and cheeky electrical pouches, some to represent certain other Pokemon... with a little thingy on his tale. Tried making different colors but none of them really looked right to me.

Falcon was the first one I did. The red/blue one is actually orange/blue... albeit a superrr burnt orange/blue... And I'm not sure why I made it orange/blue as opposed to something else... orange and... idk yellow? I definitely see what you mean though about the 3 colors. I may make some changes to them later. I may even completely redo them. Since I made those I've gotten better with using Photoshop, as well as having a better idea of texture editing (thanks to Shun's verbose post about his very intricate process).

Donkey as well. I never even paid attention to the 'DK' logos until you mentioned it and now I am dissatisfied... :glare: lol! I might just revisit him as well. I'll probably completely get rid of the orange-ish one... not sure what color'd replace him though. Any ideas?

The Link alts I made right after reading Shun's post. And by this time I had a decent idea of what a decent texture would look like. Also if you like the purple Link, then you might like the purple Falco that I've made! I've pretty much already decided that every character needs a purple color. So that's gonna happen. Thankfully I don't have to do one for Wolf. Cause the spacies are pretty hard to make recolors for.

Also I'm mainly making these as placeholders for people who wanna use cBliss who don't have decent recolors for all their things. The cBliss fillers, while cool as heyl, are lacking that certain... life lol

Taiko is definitely right about cBliss alts. It get's increasingly more difficult to find unique color combinations the more you make, which is why right now, I'm settling for just the normal vBrawl costumes. It'll give me a good idea of what ideas will actually work.

Amaze, I'll add links to your stuff in the OP at a later date when I get some time to buckle down and focus.
Aww yeah! I will try to make them even a fraction of a fraction of the quality of your textures haha. Thanks!

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Shun, are you in that "Preview Posting" mood? I'm in the hype for the next batch and want to make sure I don't die from vibrancy deprivation.

Taiko

Smash Ace
For Pikachu cBliss colours, I was thinking of just having different hats and such. I remember seeing the cowboy hat from Melee as a model import, I think reoclouring the green to brown and changing Pikachu's colour slightly dustier might work?
I have started a small list with possible cBliss stuff, but Pikachu is going to be one of the harder ones for sure. 6 slots to fill?!

As for colour combos, here's a page on colour theory that might come in handy when picking colours:
http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-theory-basics.html
(Yay, I don't need to write up a huge post about this!)

You'll start to see it in costumes as well. Some good examples that Shun has done for each, and a colour wheel for reference:

Monochromatic: Shiek. Uses the primary colour for all the team colours, with a bit of yellow splashed into each to mix it up.
Analogous: Pikachu is a good example, I think. Specifically the red Raichu one. Orange, yellow, and red working together.
Complimentary: Shiek and Zelda, specifically their blues. If anyone remembers Project Maritime, that entire project was basically a perfect example of this. (Though personally, I dislike the red and green combo.)
Split Complimentary: Actually, default Metaknight works for this I think. Blue and purple, with some yellow mixed in (from the sword).
Triadic: I wanted to write about this one specifically, since it's most relevant. Captain Falcon's blue is a really good example of this, it's got red, yellow, and blue all going on. The contrast between them works really well, which is why it's my favourite Falcon costume.
Tetradic: Red Wolf somewhat does this, it tends to look chaotic though. I'd avoid this one unless you've got a really good reason to.

Of course, you don't need to follow these rules exactly, but you'll notice a lot of characters follow this. (Chrom comes to mind with blue/yellow, since he's my picture right now)

Hope that helps for deciding on colour schemes! cBliss though, it's going to be hard.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Nice post Taiko. It's a cool thing to look into, as I did some color theory studying a few years back and it all stuck with me (mostly because I use it a lot). Definitely stay away from Hard Mode (4 color textures) because it's dang near impossible to balance without looking chaotic.

Shun, are you in that "Preview Posting" mood? I'm in the hype for the next batch and want to make sure I don't die from vibrancy deprivation.
I'll take a shot and post it tomorrow for you guys. The question: Marth or Ike?

Amazerommu

Smash Lord
Nice post Taiko. It's a cool thing to look into, as I did some color theory studying a few years back and it all stuck with me (mostly because I use it a lot). Definitely stay away from Hard Mode (4 color textures) because it's dang near impossible to balance without looking chaotic.

I'll take a shot and post it tomorrow for you guys. The question: Marth or Ike?
I vote for Marth heheh.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I'll admit, I didn't think anyone would take that comment seriously. Why? Well, here's why:

Edit: I guess I'll talk a bit about the textures here, because these guys are my favorites (characters that is).

For Marth, this is an alternate default based on his newer appearances (FE11 & 12) to fit better with the other blue team colors for Project M. You'll find a vibrant version of his vBrawl alt in the pack too.

For Ike, someone once said "do an Ike costume based on DLC Roy" and I was going to. Then I studied DLC Roy's design and noted how the colors used brought attention to his red hair...

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Progress Report:

Prince Marth:
Initial costume batch complete, but because this is an FE character he gets cBliss Alts as well. Rather than just make various color combinations, what I'm going to do is just make costumes based on references to various things. I'm going to leave Ike to sit for a bit and finish Marth.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I'm going to miss the Wolf Vibrancy subtitle. Oh, the things us Wolf players can't let you do.
I can't wait to see these model edits by the way, I love that Ike model preview.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
So I finally uploaded those Vibrant Falcon cBliss Recolors I made. Here are some things and junk:

[/collapse]

But wait there's more!

[/collapse]

And last but most certainly not least:

[/collapse]

Yo, some of these are tight, tight, tight. Some of these are cringy.

Purple Falcon is great.
Red Falcon is REALLY close to great, his boots just need to be more interesting. Flat gray just looks sub-professional.
Black/Green Falcon looks real cheesy from what I can tell.
Yellow Falcon is really neat, something is off but you've got a good thing going here. The blue on the boots is neat but I'm not sure it's working. Maybe I'm crazy though.

Teal and Orange DK's are really ****ing sweet. Only thing I'd recommend is to review the Teal DK's DK on his tie, perhaps a third color would be preferable, perhaps not.
Gold DK is hilarious, reminds me of Super Sonic. I think I'm diggin' it but perhaps his fur should be brightened up a little bit. The yellow DK on his tie looks totally passable but I'm interested if white text would look good or not.
Purple DK is way too deep, desaturate or brighten up a bit or something.

Lavender Link is real tight but it's too similar to the stock Blue Ring texture IMO.
Pink Link is no good IMO. It feels so untrue to the adult Link character and it really bothers me because I'm currently on a big Zelda theorycrafting kick, lol. Pink/Green is a cool combo but I am just not digging it on Link at all.
Red Link seems run-of-the-mill, I'd like to see the shield though.
Teal Link. WHOOOOO BOY. Man of the hour right here! LOOKIDAT LOOK! The worn leggings, black boots and crisp-ass gold sheath clash SO well with that tunic.

On the topic of color wheels and schemes: I think my fellow texturizers will really dig this. Bookmark it, boys.
http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Shun, that Ike... a vibrant version of the concept art you shared with me a few months back, I see? B-b-b-baller.

Top Bottom