• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
Well I guess I'll share. The past two Mondays I went to my first tournaments. They're pretty small (10 and 16 entrants) and went 0-2 then 2-2 going mostly Shulk with a little Pit. The 2-2 was good enough for 5th place lol. Ah well, still feels pretty good to hold my own with my previous experience being FG

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Man, can't believe XC 3D can be broken sometimes.
I was in Eryth Sea battling with some monsters with pretty much progress, but when I was doing chain attack, after Shulk gives his move that made the eneny daze, the game just stop. The game did not freeze, it just Shulk in battle position and the enemy in daze and no BGM, after a while of waiting I decide to restart the game… with my progress being lost.

Now I have to play XC 3D with worrying if the game will turn broken or not, yikes…

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Not sure if this is a problem with playing Shulk or my own ability at this game, so if anyone has advice then hey, I'm open:

I've been playing against a lot of people that are better than me lately, however I feel like I'm learning better when people *aren't* playing fast characters. With Shulk I'm able to identify my opponent's and my own habits, so I'm able to do what I can to change them. If I'm going up against Sheik / Fox / Diddy / etc., then I'm so vastly outsped that I can't do any of that. I don't learn, Shulk can't keep up and I just get steamrolled.

I dunno. It's difficult. Thoughts? How do I get past this kind of hurdle with Shulk?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
(When I returned to this thread before you post)

Anyone here? Hello? Anyone?

Not sure if this is a problem with playing Shulk or my own ability at this game, so if anyone has advice then hey, I'm open:

I've been playing against a lot of people that are better than me lately, however I feel like I'm learning better when people *aren't* playing fast characters. With Shulk I'm able to identify my opponent's and my own habits, so I'm able to do what I can to change them. If I'm going up against Sheik / Fox / Diddy / etc., then I'm so vastly outsped that I can't do any of that. I don't learn, Shulk can't keep up and I just get steamrolled.

I dunno. It's difficult. Thoughts? How do I get past this kind of hurdle with Shulk?
I haven't use Shulk that much after Cloud's release. But to me that's normal, Shulk's not a good at dealing with fast characters. Using speed arts maybe handle them for a while, but when they do their combo, your mostly screwed. Shulk's move have long hitbox disjoint but too predictable. However, with the nerfs Diddy, Sheik, and ZSS have. As long as you know when to avoid and attack, you may have the chance to beat them, but just like how you feel: difficult.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421

Well, I don't really have any advice to give about learning habits against faster characters (except maybe playing against them more), but I can give you some tips on some of those matchups.
With Sheik, playing safe is a necessity. You also have to realize that Sheik has the potential to pull ahead with a 40~% lead early on with her fair combos and grab followups. This is okay. Sheik has a notoriously tough time killing until very high percents. Her kill options boil down to her smash attacks (watch out for tipper up smash when you are on a platform above her) and Bouncing Fish off-stage. Consequently, Smash Art is key against Sheik. Throwing out smash attacks in the art is a bit risky, but a simple fair off stage will often end a stock early. Down throw is a very good kill option, too.
I haven't played against enough good Sonics to know exactly what the best game plan is, but I do know that up tilt can sometimes punish Homing Attack. If you perfect pivot up tilt, you might be able to punish it every time, but I haven't tested this out yet. Speed and Jump arts are essential for keeping up with Sonic. Picking Battlefield can also greatly assist you, as it is rather compact and there are platforms. Buster art finds more use on this stage, I find.
Fox is definitely Shulk's worst matchup, but it's definitely not impossible. I've found that succeeding against Fox starts with avoiding his up tilt. His up tilt->up tilt x 1000 strings destroy Shulk early in the stock, and Fox can carry this momentum into further damage. I repeat, AVOID THE UP TILT. Play safe, but don't try to camp too much either. Fox has a projectile, and you don't. Also, don't pick Battlefield or Dreamland against a Fox. You will get stuck on a platform, trying to escape Fox's endless barrage of up airs. Also, I find that Fox is very susceptible to Shulk's advantage state. This might be because my playstyle is very momentum based, but I have been able to make nearly full stock comebacks against skilled Foxes before. Just don't overextend. You'll get up smashed, and that's just unhealthy.
As for Diddy Kong, uh, well, I've got nothing. Sorry, haven't played against enough good Diddy Kongs. I DO know that a lot of Shulk's consider his second worst or even worst matchup in the game. The advice I'll give you is: don't get hit.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
The advice I'll give you is: don't get hit.
Ah! So that's where I'm going wrong...

In my local scene I'll probably have trouble pulling in some Sheik and Fox friendlies, it's just because they all have their little friend group and they're always playing against each other. Might be easier to get a Diddy match, our Diddy guy is a bit more loner :p (I sure hope none of them see this and identify me, hey!) Sonic is probably the matchup I'm okay with, to be honest. Most likely because my Doubles partner is Sonic and I've played against him a lot as well. We go pretty evenly despite it being in Sonic's favour.

I'm not really sure what moves are "safe" for Shulk without MALLC. Everything seems to be punishable in some way against these guys.

My current matchup knowledge is:
:4sheik:
  • Use arts to mess with combo %s
  • Don't go FD. Don't go Battlefield/DL?
  • ???
:4diddy:
  • Try to bait out the banana. For the love of god don't get hit by it.
  • Don't underestimate how quickly fair comes out.
  • DI forwards off Diddy's dthrow, because you bounce behind him (and therefore forward = away).
  • ???
:4fox:
  • Don't get uaired or usmashed
  • Running off-stage fair drags you down with him, apparently.
  • ???
:4sonic:
  • Don't try to punish or clash with an approaching spin dash. Let him do his thing. Just shield it and punish after he stops moving so quickly.
  • If you're low off-stage he can spring gimp. Try never to get in this position (use that Jump Art), but if you find yourself here then remember that Air Slash can stop the spring. Make sure the sword hits it and don't get bopped on the head.
  • If you're high above the stage and Sonic springs up to you and misses his aerial, then you might be able to get a sneaky Air Slash / uair for a quick kill.
  • Mix up your getups off his dthrow or he'll learn and punish it.
  • Speed is very helpful, and Buster gets some good use if there's platforms.
:4zss:
  • Speed helps to punish Paralyser if you're in a good position and shield it.
  • Avoid the Paralyser and grab like the plague.
  • Shulk is one of few characters that has the range to challenge her aerials. Make sure you're well-spaced, because as with every other ****ing character in this game, her aerials are quicker than Shulk's.
  • It's been a while so I don't remember much else, I lose pretty consistently.
  • ???

Last edited:

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
Random: On FG over the weekend I was facing a G&W. He ran to the corner and spammed neutral B, so I thought I'd try to Vision through. He just happened to stop and ran over and Hammered. He got a 9. Oh, and I was in Buster. So I think he was at 40 something % and he died with 90 something % from Buster Vision. Unfortunately I didn't save it cause I forgot (I just always spam A at the end -_-)

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
I'm not really sure what moves are "safe" for Shulk without MALLC. Everything seems to be punishable in some way against these guys.
Playing a safe neutral game goes a long way against these characters. Jumping in and nairing every time isn't going to cut it with any character in any game. You have to predict what your opponent is going to do and punish accordingly. You also have to stay within that happy zone where you can hit them, but they can't hit you. Spacing, basically. This is harder to do against some characters, most notably Cloud and Ike. Say for example that Zero Suit is spacing back air in neutral. If you predict that she is going to use back air (by noticing that she is jumping at you backwards), you can space yourself accordingly and fair her away, making sure to not get hit yourself. Predicting AND spacing can go hand in hand. And one more thing: you have to mix it up. As I've previously stated, if you jump in and nair every time, you will get rekt. A good way to mix up an approach is to try a tomahawk (jump at an opponent like you're going to throw out an aerial, then land and grab them). Or maybe short hop at them and immediately double backwards just to see how they react. Another important thing to remember is that you don't have to approach every single time. Similarly, you don't have to throw out an aerial every time you jump. Just short hopping up and down can allow you to see what your opponent will do next, and therefore plan your next move accordingly, all while keeping yourself mobile, unpredictable, and ready to attack. These are the same principles behind dash dancing in Melee, only to a lesser extent.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
With what you said about that "happy zone", I think that's what I'm struggling with - I'm well-aware that they need to be there but I just can't keep these guys out of my face. I can't get them into that space. Tomahawking is something I'm getting better with and I know I have some bad and predictable habits (sometimes ledge getups, I'm too much of a nairplane), but... that's the thing, I feel I learn more about my habits against slower guys when I can actually go "Oh, they completely caught me there. I should try not to do that next time." Against these characters I'm just under a constant barrage of attacks and I can't quite move my thought process beyond spacing and trying not to get hit.

Perhaps it's a bit of... not exactly matchup experience, but maybe learning about what tools those characters actually have at their disposal. If I get an understanding of how they play then maybe I'll be more cautious in certain situations? There are bad matchups like Mario and Sonic that I have no issue with, and I attribute a lot of that to "I know how people play this character."

You know, it's probably a lot of small factors like that

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
EVO 2016 is almost here on July 15th! Besides myself, there are also at least 3 other Shulk mains in this grand tournament!

TrueSapphire – 12 PM PST (C514)
Tremendo Dude – 12 PM PST (C526)
FAD | Nicko – 6 PM PST (F522)
Soronie – 6 PM PST (F524)

And here is the stream dedicated to SSB4 this Friday: https://www.twitch.tv/srkevo2/

Player locator: http://evo2016.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/players.html
EVO 2016 Bracket (all games): http://evo2016.s3.amazonaws.com/brackets/index.html

Brackets are updated on paper, then later updated on the site.

Last edited:

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
So I am on the final boss of Xenoblade X and I need some help.
So I can get to the 2nd phase of the Vita and get the part where I have to destroy the shields but after my team usually dies after that. Any tips on that and on the further bosses?

Team:
Me: Lvl. 51
Elma: Lvl. 51
Lin Lvl. 50
Boze: Lvl. 50

I have a lvl. 50 Skell and the rest has lvl. 30 Skells.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
So I am on the final boss of Xenoblade X and I need some help.
So I can get to the 2nd phase of the Vita and get the part where I have to destroy the shields but after my team usually dies after that. Any tips on that and on the further bosses?

Team:
Me: Lvl. 51
Elma: Lvl. 51
Lin Lvl. 50
Boze: Lvl. 50

I have a lvl. 50 Skell and the rest has lvl. 30 Skells.
Well let me see.

The first step you can probably take is get level 50 Skells for the rest of the team. Stack evasion on the light skells, if possible. Gravity Buster or its G2 Variant is great for the Verus/Amsudias. Have weapons according to their Overdrive and natural stats, such as the Verus specializes in Melee Attack, Formula specializes in tons of evasions and criticals, Mastema in Ranged and so on.

Then what's your class? It has been some time since I played the game, so my knowledge might be a bit rusty. An easy way to counter most bosses is to stack lots of resistance to the element they use the most.

I am not sure of Vita's attacks but I think it has Electrical and Gravity attacks. Most robots are weak to electrical weaponry, although you'd probably be better off checking the master Xenoblade X spreedsheet that is floating the net for such values.

This right here has almost all the info you'll need for the game.

Also you might want to buff up your ground game, since the final boss deactivates your skells. That is good offensive skills and weapons, the ones you have. An easy way to beat him might be just the Ghostwalker way with Dual Guns, or element stacking. Infinite Overdrive is great, try to get weapon with Arts: TP Gain and make an Extend Overdrive XX augment (does wonders to keep that overdrive going before postgame).

Also if you use TP arts to deal damage, Candid and Credible Gear has some potential in it, good way to boost damage before you can make the Potential Up XX augments. Not sure if it was level 50 or 55 gear...

You could alternately control Elma, and give everyone Ghost Factory. She also has the skill Hellhound (or some other skill I forgot) which gives her TP with some ranged arts. Executioner is a great damaging skill with Potential armor. This method is probably the easiest I suppose.

Lin can tank a bit I suppose, and Bose deals damage being a simple Partisan Eagle.
There are tons of ways to handle this, but hopefully I gave some insight into this, and didn't confuse you even more further xD

Good luck! And enjoy the postgame!

Last edited:

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
So the new official tier list is out, and Shulk is still in G tier. 44th overall. Can't say I'm surprised, given Shulk's low representation and results.
I still stand by my opinion that, when played to his full potential, Shulk is a solid mid tier, possibly in D tier with Peach, Rob, and Luigi. His matchup spread, from what I've experienced, is not to bad. He doesn't outright win lots of matchups, but he does go even with a surprising amount of characters, largely thanks to his adaptive play style with Monado Arts. He does particularly well against Rosa, Cloud, ZSS, and Mario, in my experience. He only really struggles against Diddy, Sheik, Fox (although I am pretty good at this matchup), and perhaps Bayonetta (I am really bad at this matchup).
On a results-based tier list, Shulk in G tier isn't too out of place. But I still think Shulk has some really nice stuff, such as great survivablily and some of the best edgeguarding in the game. He also really rewards being able to punish airdodges. In my opinion, his main problems are:
A: his frame data
and
B: he has to work a lot harder to do rather basic tasks (eg: his 50-50 kill confirm sometimes requires buffered deactivation). He can still do a lot of these things; it just requires more effort.

Audos

Smash Apprentice
So the new official tier list is out, and Shulk is still in G tier. 44th overall. Can't say I'm surprised, given Shulk's low representation and results.
I still stand by my opinion that, when played to his full potential, Shulk is a solid mid tier, possibly in D tier with Peach, Rob, and Luigi. His matchup spread, from what I've experienced, is not to bad. He doesn't outright win lots of matchups, but he does go even with a surprising amount of characters, largely thanks to his adaptive play style with Monado Arts. He does particularly well against Rosa, Cloud, ZSS, and Mario, in my experience. He only really struggles against Diddy, Sheik, Fox (although I am pretty good at this matchup), and perhaps Bayonetta (I am really bad at this matchup).
On a results-based tier list, Shulk in G tier isn't too out of place. But I still think Shulk has some really nice stuff, such as great survivablily and some of the best edgeguarding in the game. He also really rewards being able to punish airdodges. In my opinion, his main problems are:
A: his frame data
and
B: he has to work a lot harder to do rather basic tasks (eg: his 50-50 kill confirm sometimes requires buffered deactivation). He can still do a lot of these things; it just requires more effort.

The sheer amount of tiers in the average smash 4 tier list is amazing to me. The game is so balanced, at least in such a way that the meta is still volatile. Even the low tiers have pretty good opportunity for an upset over some of the best in the game.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
The sheer amount of tiers in the average smash 4 tier list is amazing to me. The game is so balanced, at least in such a way that the meta is still volatile. Even the low tiers have pretty good opportunity for an upset over some of the best in the game.
I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to write like this.

Also, when zelda can win tourneys, samus beat an toptier luigi back then, despite her super glitchy hitboxes... and ganon beats the crap out of some pros... I'd say yeah. It's pretty versatile, and you can even catch people offguard, cause they don't know how you will play with them.

Audos

Smash Apprentice
I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to write like this.

Also, when zelda can win tourneys, samus beat an toptier luigi back then, despite her super glitchy hitboxes... and ganon beats the crap out of some pros... I'd say yeah. It's pretty versatile, and you can even catch people offguard, cause they don't know how you will play with them.
It's a struggle. I actually just type randomly for different comments now, but hey, maybe I'll always type like this.

Also nairo did win a tourney
with Zelda before, didn't he? Might be wrong on that one but it was early in the game's life if I recall. I mean I think that top players will always play the numbers game and overwhelming amount of time, but a ganon for example always has the potential to net an upset with the correct reads. In melee and brawl it felt like even if you landed a bunch of reads the top tiers still made it near impossible to win. I don't think that's the case here in smash 4, I just think that they don't have tourney winning potential. In the end characters having the potential to upset is all I'd be able to ask for, we can't all be smash 64.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm totally feeling it!!!
This new Xenoblade has a new look this time, reminds me of Tales recent look. How do you guys think about Xenoblade Chronicles 2 being more anime-like? By looking at the trailer not sure if this is a new universe or a sequel, I haven't finish the original Xenoblade game. If anyone did is this a direct sequel for Xenobalde Chronicles?

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
So. . . Xenoblade Chronicles 2 here. If I went with my feeling, this is some kind of direct sequel to the original Xenoblade Chronicles, even if in the distant future of that game, BUT. . . Here is what I find interesting:

In Norse mythology, there is a significant tree by the name of "Yggdrasil"; In Xenoblade Chronicles X, there is a boss that goes by the name of "Yggalith", and it just so happens that the Ark Ship in Xenoblade Chronicles X as well, goes by the name of "White Whale", all of which (barring ("Yggalith") are presented right here in this screen capture (and let us not miss the obvious similarities to the Monado in the blade that (I'm assuming) the main character appears to be wielding here). Now it may honestly not mean anything at all. . . But what if it does? If Monolith Soft is attempting to connect the previous two Xenoblade titles together in some sort of fashion, then I would take it this game is going to take place after Xenoblade Chronicles, and before Xenoblade Chronicles X (as it doesn't seem like it's really going in the direction of XCX's cliffhanger ending, nor in style with its [XCX's] more Sci-Fi > Fantasy feel. . . XC2 really feels like it's going to be more akin to XC, which from where I stand, personally, is preferred).

upload_2017-1-14_15-28-3.png

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Speaking of Monado...
There was a problem fetching the tweet
This is mind blown... the other girl not sure...

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I like the fact that another Xenoblade is coming out, just that mixed feelings on how they'll continue with the very conclusive ending the original Xenoblade had. Although they might be trying to link Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles X with this game...

And is that an actual white whale? xD

I don't know what to say about the fact that the Monado V.2 might be that girl :|

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I don't know what to say about the fact that the Monado V.2 might be that girl :|
The glowing mark on her chest and the "monado" closely resembles the lifeholds back in XCX too right?

And Zohar in Xenosaga series

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yes. More the Zohar than the Lifehold segments but yes, that design definitely bears resemblance to both.

The excessive anime design of the characters seems like an odd direction for the series considering the past 2 games, and how the world does not look quite as stylized.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Get ready Shulkboards I think this forum is going to get more active soon as I'm probably going to reboot the JMU discussion thread. Information will be LOGGED in Shulk101 and each new thread ADVERTISED in the announcements of the Shulk Discord Server.

Discord is TERRIBLE for matchup discussion to be honest. That's why I just want to move it here.

Plan is a new thread every 3 days so we can get through the whole cast in 6 months, and then maybe go through it all again within the year.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
While the newest "Monado" might be a grill I also noticed that the sword's blades resemble Telethia feathers.
m1.PNG
t1.PNG

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
While the newest "Monado" might be a grill I also noticed that the sword's blades resemble Telethia feathers.
View attachment 124976 View attachment 124977
Again,mind blown, but I'm not sure how is that gonna work. The second girl who said doesn't want to live in fear anymore, is she also the "Monado"? Why did the girls we saw in the trailer all have similar armors? Except the "girl" riding the large animal.
Nevertheless, it what the boy said "I'm going to Elysium for you." might be a hint.
Check out these Xenoblade Concept art!

Monado girl debunked?
Until you notice the weapon is the one we saw in the last part of the trailer, so she is the Monado... chance is high...

I think Xenoblade 2 is going to have an awesome character development.
I already saw the boy crying back in the trailer, if his attitude is a bit of a cry baby then I swear of god...

The boy... and the girl...who is likely a Monado.

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
sorry for double post
My E3 "Cooldown" is almost over...
But here's my first trailer overlook (Names I still use the name according to the script):
British voice actors yeah!!!!
So CGI anime style are more of a standard in some of recent JRPG games if you look at Tales of Berseria, Persona 5, and next year's Code Vein. I actually prefer this kind of style.
At first I was like: No no no no plz don't turn into blade Homura(Pyra)!!! So yeah Homura is blade is sort of right but also wrong. She still fights beside Rex.
And we have the first seen of the battle, not sure if it's just temporary lock up fight like the previous game, we do see Xenoblade 2 has a new battle arts design. At first I was disappointed to see them change. Looking it more thoroughly I actually like this system for now. It looks more simple compare to XC and XCX.
We have a"Military uniform girl" (I suppose it is a girl, and those who watch Re:Creators will get the pun)) somehow damages Homura's Zohar core a bit and Rex's left arm (I also guess his left arm is amputee or just unable to use.
I guess Hikari might play a role similar to Alvis, that she is sort of a bystander at first but later play an important role in the story.
We also see two more male antagonists one looks meh and other one looks rad.
We get to see most (If not all) crews. We do have a Nopon, Nia (The catgirl on the right), Homura/Pyra, unknown girl and Rex.
The logo... love it love it love it.
Yes, I know people will be questioning one thing: Why is Rex the only male protagonist so far?
I also hope that anyone can share me more Xenoblade Chronicles 2 info after this.

1FC0

Smash Lord
so today I fsmashed a little mac and he countered the first hit but still got hit by the second part even though he countered the first part and then the counter took his last stock and it was cool

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
It's pretty fun when this happens, but this probably was a story more worth sharing in a social thread than making its own thread :p

Still, glad to see you had fun playing Shulk!

Top Bottom