• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Like I said, there's no need to worry about her up B anymore. Hell, you can punish her for landing up B on you if you SDI out of it (which is easy thanks to the nerfs)
Yea, it is much less of a problem, but the combo still exists. She isn't nearly as much of a problem anymore.
GIMP can do pretty much anything Photoshop can do, and it's free. It does take a while to get used to the UI, but there's plenty of online tutorials for it.
Also, here's a tip. When you're done with the image, save it AND export it. Exporting will let you choose a file format, including ones that keep transparency (.png and .gif do this, I believe).
Otherwise you'll have an image in the native GIMP file format, which is super big and doesn't keep transparency.
Ok. Thanks. I'll see I can do with it.

So. In AceStarthe3rd's Latest Video. Bayonetta Undefeatable #3. There was this INSANE Shulk player. Like. He was amazing. This is one of the like 3 times Ace almost lost in his Undefeatable series. He opened up the match with a Speed Art MALLC with a B-air and then after landing with no lag, he did a pivot grab (Granted he did miss it though.)...That was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. It also made me remember how good Shulk's pivot grab with the Speed art is. It also really made me wanna do MALLC, or at least try it more. Here's the link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7PQEEJNBMc.

The match against Shulk starts at 20:26. Your welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
So. In AceStarthe3rd's Latest Video. Bayonetta Undefeatable #3. There was this INSANE Shulk player. Like. He was amazing. This is one of the like 3 times Ace almost lost in his Undefeatable series. He opened up the match with a Speed Art MALLC with a B-air and then after landing with no lag, he did a pivot grab (Granted he did miss it though.)...That was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. It also made me remember how good Shulk's pivot grab with the Speed art is. It also really made me wanna do MALLC, or at least try it more. Here's the link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7PQEEJNBMc.

The match against Shulk starts at 20:26. Your welcome.
For future reference, you can send a YouTube link that sends you to a specific time, you know...

They were good, though I wouldn't really say amazing... maybe if they had kept up with their first impression. Of course, getting camped out by Bayonetta (or anyone) is something Shulk struggles with, too.

But yeah, that first bit was nice. Honestly, every time I see MALLC, I feel like Shulk has so much potential. I mean, it's something you have to really consciously do and time... and most of the time you just want the Monado Art's effects, but, I imagine if someone were to use it consistently, Shulk would become a force to be reckoned with offensively, making any aerial of his choice safe, and possibly combo material.

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Man, Hiroyuki Sawano sure made many awesome soundtracks for Xenoblade Chronicles X, not sure if he will be the composer of the next game made by Monolift soft.

And this one it really fits for Xenoblade X imo... of course it's also made by Sawano...but it just fit too well.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I very much preferred the original Xenoblade Chronicles soundtrack over X's. ACE, Yoko, and the other composers did an incredible job of capturing the style and the scope of the original Xenoblade Chronicles. Really, I preferred the fantasy-meets-sci-fi style of the original overall.
I was pretty mixed on the inclusion of vocals in X's soundtrack. I really enjoyed some of the vocal tracks in Persona 3 and 4, but there I felt like they were balanced with good instrumental composition.
In X, the vocals take center stage for the most part, which would be ok if I liked the backing tracks, but generally X's soundtrack, particularly the battle themes, are a interesting mix of nu-metal and Japanesey-ness. Unfortunately, nu-metal's not really my jam.

And this has been Unpopular Opinion Corner.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
This might be an unpopular opinion, but I very much preferred the original Xenoblade Chronicles soundtrack over X's. ACE, Yoko, and the other composers did an incredible job of capturing the style and the scope of the original Xenoblade Chronicles. Really, I preferred the fantasy-meets-sci-fi style of the original overall.
I was pretty mixed on the inclusion of vocals in X's soundtrack. I really enjoyed some of the vocal tracks in Persona 3 and 4, but there I felt like they were balanced with good instrumental composition.
In X, the vocals take center stage for the most part, which would be ok if I liked the backing tracks, but generally X's soundtrack, particularly the battle themes, are a interesting mix of nu-metal and Japanesey-ness. Unfortunately, nu-metal's not really my jam.

This isn't really unpopular opinion. I'm pretty sure a lot of people will have the same opinion as well.
But if you just simply listen to those soundtracks by Sawano, they are just god-like awesome. It's just sad that some good music in X didn't have larger role, or just put in the wrong place.
But in my opinion, but have great and not-so-great soundtracks. Original Xenoblade is more soft+Rock. X is Rock+Orchestra+Lyrics.
I can't really choose which one is better when it comes to soundtracks of these two games.

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
For future reference, you can send a YouTube link that sends you to a specific time, you know...

They were good, though I wouldn't really say amazing... maybe if they had kept up with their first impression. Of course, getting camped out by Bayonetta (or anyone) is something Shulk struggles with, too.

But yeah, that first bit was nice. Honestly, every time I see MALLC, I feel like Shulk has so much potential. I mean, it's something you have to really consciously do and time... and most of the time you just want the Monado Art's effects, but, I imagine if someone were to use it consistently, Shulk would become a force to be reckoned with offensively, making any aerial of his choice safe, and possibly combo material.
Yea. I'm now trying my best to pull off MALLC now. And I have a lot more then I thought I would. Maybe I'm better then I actually thought. XD.

Anyway. Anyone remember back a little more then a year ago when I said I was making a Shulk guide? Well that got scrapped pretty bad. It was garbage and I thought it was too, but now that a friend of mine has recording and editing software, he said "Hey why don't you make a new Shulk guide since there hasn't been one in forever? Your pretty good with him, so I don't know anyone else to do the job." And I was like yes sure, why not? So, I'm remaking a guide little by little and this time it'll ACTUALLY be good and completed. I know some (like 2) people have made popular Shulk guides before, but those were made like over a year ago and was basically only on the Arts. This'll be on everything.
It'll be a while before it's done though.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

XC > XCX is actually the popular opinion from what I understand.
But they're both trying to create different atmospheres so it would be bad if the soundtracks sounded the same. I like the vocals, they works really well and don't make me cringe.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
XC > XCX is actually the popular opinion from what I understand.
But they're both trying to create different atmospheres so it would be bad if the soundtracks sounded the same. I like the vocals, they works really well and don't make me cringe.
Me: XC=X (Only listen to the OST)
XC>X (Listing in game)

I highly recommend you guys go and listen to other Hiroyuki Sawano's music. I will guarantee you will love some of his musics.

The recent one is Kabaneri of Iron Fortress, an anime that is from the same producer of AoT, and the OSTs... God-Tier I say...

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Back to ask for some more advice from you guys (Actually, chances are most of you probably won't recognize this username since I changed it since I last posted here. I usually go by "KingofPhantoms".) What kind of combos is Shulk capable of performing and how do some of you prefer to pull them off?

I've never been good at combos outside of my Mewtwo and possibly my Bowser. One of my main problems is that, in Brawl, I dodged and shielded very frequently, like, way more often than I needed to. It worked out for me alright, but I've carried the habit over to Smash 4, and I spend so much time dodging and rolling that I wind up missing out on plenty of opportunities to go through with combos. My playstyle is currently not quite as aggressive as it should be.

While I'm trying to break out of that habit and get used to dodging less often, I'm also trying to figure out how to set-up and chain combos for all of my characters, as my current knowledge of game data and what most characters are capable of is honestly very limited. Shulk is one of the three characters I'm seriously pursuing in bettering myself at right now, and I think not knowing his combos is a pretty big problem for me. So I've made it my top priority to learn and practice them.
_______

In some other news, I started playing the beginning of Xenoblade Chronicles a couple weeks ago, but I didn't go very far. Summer will start for me very soon, so I plan to start playing it again when that happens. I look forward to finally properly experiencing the game.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Back to ask for some more advice from you guys (Actually, chances are most of you probably won't recognize this username since I changed it since I last posted here. I usually go by "KingofPhantoms".) What kind of combos is Shulk capable of performing and how do some of you prefer to pull them off?

I've never been good at combos outside of my Mewtwo and possibly my Bowser. One of my main problems is that, in Brawl, I dodged and shielded very frequently, like, way more often than I needed to. It worked out for me alright, but I've carried the habit over to Smash 4, and I spend so much time dodging and rolling that I wind up missing out on plenty of opportunities to go through with combos. My playstyle is currently not quite as aggressive as it should be.

While I'm trying to break out of that habit and get used to dodging less often, I'm also trying to figure out how to set-up and chain combos for all of my characters, as my current knowledge of game data and what most characters are capable of is honestly very limited. Shulk is one of the three characters I'm seriously pursuing in bettering myself at right now, and I think not knowing his combos is a pretty big problem for me. So I've made it my top priority to learn and practice them.
_______

In some other news, I started playing the beginning of Xenoblade Chronicles a couple weeks ago, but I didn't go very far. Summer will start for me very soon, so I plan to start playing it again when that happens. I look forward to finally properly experiencing the game.
Shulk has a -very- poor combo-game. It relies on predicting, and covering options of your opponent, not of actually stringing attacks together.

There -are- certain combos, but they only work on certain specific %'s, in specific monado arts.
Generally, I reccomend tryining with shulk without monado, to learn his range, then go in one monado art only, to see how he changes, how his nair works in speed vs jump for excample, how useful fast falling is, and all that.

And then, when you know kinda how he works, try MALLC, and punish people for being close at your landing.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Shulk has a -very- poor combo-game. It relies on predicting, and covering options of your opponent, not of actually stringing attacks together.

There -are- certain combos, but they only work on certain specific %'s, in specific monado arts.
Generally, I reccomend tryining with shulk without monado, to learn his range, then go in one monado art only, to see how he changes, how his nair works in speed vs jump for excample, how useful fast falling is, and all that.

And then, when you know kinda how he works, try MALLC, and punish people for being close at your landing.
His moves are also predictable, only advantage he has is his Monado arts and long hitbox joints. With Monado plus Buster can also damage shield greatly.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
I beg to differ about Shulk's combo game. It is true that he has very little true combos, but some of the ones he does have are devastating, particularly in Jump art. FF nair -> fair -> is a true kill combo in Jump art at around 60%. It is also pretty easy to pull off. It's landing the extremely predictable FF nair that's the hard part.
Up tilt into fair -> fair -> Air Slash true combos in Jump art at I think 40% (not too sure about that percent) if your opponent is standing on the ground. This is also fairly tricky to pull off in a real match, however.
The problem with Shulk's "combo game" is that Shulk's attacks do not come out quickly enough to true combo to one another most of the time. However, unlike most characters, he has no trouble with being in position to link attacks thanks to his massive range and excellent mobility in Speed and Jump art. As a result, the ability to read air dodges and other escape measures greatly aids Shulk's combo game. Is the opponent jumping every time you try to up throw -> up tilt them in Buster? Jump and throw out an aerial after the up throw. Missing every edgeguard attempt? Either wait on stage to use one of Shulk's ledge traps, or bait the air dodge off stage and fair them. Or perhaps even try to hit them with the front hitbox of bair. If they're expecting to air dodge a spaced fair, you may be able to get close while they air dodge and bair them. I'll have to test that one out, but it sounds good in theory.
Another thing I've been working on is FF nair (Speed art) -> perfect pivot -> reverse nair -> reverse nair -> bair. It works best at around 30%, and it is NOT a true combo. Nair is Shulk's fastest aerial (frame 13), but the hitbox starts behind him, coming down. This downward animation at the start will catch attempts to jump out, I think, and because the string is so close to the ground, an air dodging opponent opens the door to a free punish. This one requires more testing, and it's pretty hard to pull off. But I've gotten some great results from it thus far.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Shulk's only real bread-and-butter combo is landing N-Air into Jab/D-Tilt/F-Tilt or Grab (I like to go for the Grab), and these don't always work consistently. He has a few very situational things here and there, but he's not a combo character at all, so just focus on his neutral as you start out.

As it's been mentioned, though, Shulk has a good time getting into good positions that are very close to true combos, so instead, you just have to get a good rhythm going and confuse the opponent between going for the links, or predicting/covering their dodges and evasive options.

Some examples:
D-Throw to a quick dash and F-Air. (Works best and to much later percents with Speed)
U-Throw into U-Tilt, or at high percents, (Monado boosted) Jump into U-Air.
F-Air positions into itself with Monado Jump, even true combos at some point as stated above.
D-Tilt into F-Air

Keep in mind attacks used with Buster at lower percents will keep the enemy very close to Shulk, so experiment around with that (but be careful, the lower hitstun can actually get you punished even on-hit with certain attacks).

Not much of that is really true combos... but they will hit an enemy who doesn't react quickly, and they can't be simply jumped away from in a lot of cases, which you means you can really mess around with punishing air dodges and stuff.

Really though, his N-air is pretty amazing.. In Speed, N-Air > Grab > D-Throw > F-Air is pretty reliable, though the F-Air is avoidable, it will force them to land with dodge lag... then you can regrab, F-Smash etc.. I guess in a nutshell, Shulk excels at making his own combos by forcing the enemy into disadvantageous positions, and you need good foresight (or clairvoyance) to play against how enemies react to you, but his flow and range makes it fairly easier than most other characters.

Last edited:

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
So. I'm going in to my first real tournament today. Pretty nervous to say the least. Going up against some of the best in the state. Yeesh. I don't think I'm ready for this. Wish me luck guys. I'll probably need it.
Also. I dropped Corrin for Mewtwo for my tourney characters. So I have a top, mid, and low tier as my team. (Or 2 tops and a mid in Zero's opinion, which I agree with.) Pretty interesting team if I say so myself, and I indeed say so. Hopefully I can show them the true power of the Monado!

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Welp. My first tourney was a kinda good one. Got to the Quarterfinals against the best smashers in the state. With Shulk (and Cloud) no less. But guys. Screw Ness with a 10 foot pole. There are like 4 really good (cheap as hell) Ness's at my tourney. I'm dropping Mewtwo for someone else. Not sure who though. Any ideas? This needs to be a basic Ness counter.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I've been practicing that 50-50 for a couple of months, it's REALLY useful.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Uh... Rosa?
TRIGGERED!!!

Just use Rosa or Corrin. Lol
TRIGGERED (again). And I was using Corrin as my third character, but she wasn't doing the best. so I switched her with Mewtwo, who is doing even worse.
I've been practicing that 50-50 for a couple of months, it's REALLY useful.
Most of the stocks I ended with Shulk was with Monado Purge. It's so good and I'm glad that we've figured it out.

The main thing that's killing me with the Ness's at my tourney is that the second they grab you, your going to take like 50% or if your on Smashville, possible stock loss. Then there's this ******** 0 to death "combo" where if your on the edge of the stage, they can stun you with PK Thunder, then hit you with it TOWARDS the stage, but it hits you AWAY from the stage, and because of the dumb knockback it has, it kills at 0% because fair and balanced gameplay. Honestly, Rosa isn't even a problem anymore to me for a couple of reasons. 1, I have Cloud to wreck the Luma and 2, I know I can fight off a good Rosa now with Shulk. Our #7 and I did a friendly before the tourney started, and after beating his main with Shulk, he played Rosa and I played Shulk. Granted I DID lose, but after getting this feeling of determination (haha I love Undertale) and I think having this look of murder in my eyes (as someone that watched noticed this or something) I took them from 20-ish % on there first stock, to about 90-ish on there last stock from 50-ish on my last stock to death. That also proves I do indeed have the ability to beat some of the best at that tourney with some of the best characters using Shulk. It's kinda crappy that after doing so well against everyone during friendlys that during the tourney I got my butt kicked. It reaaally makes me wanna not play the game for a while. I know I didn't today. I may tomorrow though. I still gotta repick that final character. I was thinking many another top tier, like ZZS or Sonic, because they don't take to much time to get good with and I already know the basics, so I don't need to learn EVERYTHING about that character. Idk. I wanna get results and prove that Shulk can be good, but I'm not sure that it's gonna happen.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
TRIGGERED!!!

The main thing that's killing me with the Ness's at my tourney is that the second they grab you, your going to take like 50% or if your on Smashville, possible stock loss. Then there's this ******** 0 to death "combo" where if your on the edge of the stage, they can stun you with PK Thunder, then hit you with it TOWARDS the stage, but it hits you AWAY from the stage, and because of the dumb knockback it has, it kills at 0% because fair and balanced gameplay.
I don't know what to say if you're getting hit by raw PK Thunder 2s onstage, that probably just means you're messing up your spacing royally somehow (possibly getting too grab-happy going for those Purges?).

There are a number of things you can do to avoid or mitigate fair chains after dthrow. The first is DI upwards and towards him, you might get uaired instead but it'll be easier to reset. The second is using Shield to make it harder for him to carry you, and the third is just don't go to Smashville vs. Ness ever. Take this as a learning experience.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what to say if you're getting hit by raw PK Thunder 2s onstage, that probably just means you're messing up your spacing royally somehow (possibly getting too grab-happy going for those Purges?).

There are a number of things you can do to avoid or mitigate fair chains after dthrow. The first is DI upwards and towards him, you might get uaired instead but it'll be easier to reset. The second is using Shield to make it harder for him to carry you, and the third is just don't go to Smashville vs. Ness ever. Take this as a learning experience.
Yea. I've learned to not let Ness go to Smashville. And It's not raw PK T 2 offstage...kinda. Like I'm sitting on the edge of the stage trying to edgeguard, they jump up to the edge and do PK Thunder, hits me with the trail of Thunder so it stuns me long enough to true? combo me into a PK T 2, that for some reason throws me offstage instead of the correct way because screw the Shulk player.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
Yea. I've learned to not let Ness go to Smashville. And It's not raw PK T 2 offstage...kinda. Like I'm sitting on the edge of the stage trying to edgeguard, they jump up to the edge and do PK Thunder, hits me with the trail of Thunder so it stuns me long enough to true? combo me into a PK T 2, that for some reason throws me offstage instead of the correct way because screw the Shulk player.
Nice job with your tournament. It's not really expected to do great your first time around, so that you got pretty far is good. If you keep going to tournaments, I'm sure you'll keep on improving.

It's a bit hard to tell what's going on with that PK Thunder stuff, but I think you'd just have to play it defensive if you know your opponent is going to do stuff like that, since it sounds like a risk on their part. Ness really is a pain to fight as Shulk, since he forces you into the offensive, then just shieldgrabs or something and gets free combos. And Ness is susceptible to Counters on his recovery... but Shulk's is awful at hitting anything in the air, so that's out too.

All I can say is that the Monado is pretty good at cutting projectiles... Ness players tend to be pretty confident with PK Thunders, but I've gotten into the habit of just swatting them with F-Airs and stuff. When off-stage, I also try to focus on cutting the PK Thunder from their recovery, than Ness himself. Maybe this could beat out that ledge trick you're talking about, too.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Ok. I went to another tourney today. I got 3rd overall with the Shulk/Cloud combo. I'm pretty happy. (Stupid Rosalina kicking me off of the winners brackets).

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Ok. I went to another tourney today. I got 3rd overall with the Shulk/Cloud combo. I'm pretty happy. (Stupid Rosalina kicking me off of the winners brackets).
So you use both Shulk and Cloud? These are the two characters I'm using recently.
Rosalina and especially sure can be annoying... always beware that Luma.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
That Luma is literally Hilter for me. I hate it so much.
Luma didn't do holocaust like Hitler so...
But yeah, I agree, Luma can be an unexpected attacker if you didn't pay attention. Shulk Advantage is his hitbox joint and Monado arts.
But to me, Cloud still has upper hand than Shulk when against Rosalina.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Well, it's been a while since anything has happened here. RIP Shulkboards, lol.
Well, I figured out how to add custom music to Smash 4. After screwing around with it back in my days of PM, I was delighted to find out that it's finally a thing in Smash 4. It also relatively simple. This video covers the basics:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qbv4mcnc4m0
Here lies Smashville's music. RIP.

Last edited:
Top Bottom