• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Maybe try your internet against a game where your game needs to be synchonised. In Smash, if one player has a slow internet connection, it slows both down so that you're fighting and reacting at the same point. Mario Kart on the other hand, only really lags you. Everyone else is still driving at their own pace. If your internet is slow it makes items a bit of a pain but it doesn't affect others. So maybe try a game that is closer to Smash? Don't know if it'll reveal anything. Just a suggestion.

As for FF uair, I've been trying it a bit but it's only ever paid off once (against ZSS) which went into a fsmash to win the match. I need to use it very sparingly, or need to get better at it. It's pretty precise.
I'm not sure if I have another Wii U game that needs Synched Internet...Bayo 2 maybe? Idk.

So. People are trying to use FF Uair a bit. That's good enough for me to do some more testing on it. I'd be decent practice too. Which is great because during the summer I'm official getting into the tourney Smash 4 scene. But yea. It is pretty precise, especially on thinner characters like ZZS and Rosa (You'd still hit that friggin' Luma though). Anyone can name a character name a character and I'd do some testing. So don't hold back.

Also I found this video showing off the Monado's true power.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyCtT1i8Tok&index=9&list=PLP0p0098-cvyMbYZFBSCMzj1PFJUdJKE7

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
So.... does this mean that characters with like, a frame 4ish aerial can get out of Shulk's up smash, or is Marth's Up B intangible at the beginning?
Aerial Dolphin Slash is frame 1 invincible according to Kurogane. Rest punishes on hit as well.

At this point it's pretty clear that, while a cool effect, making the Monado do the prep into second hit thing that Shulk has for FSmash/USmash/UAir/DAir was a pretty bad idea. They either need to increase the hitstun of the first hits or speed up the second hits.

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
At this point it's pretty clear that, while a cool effect, making the Monado do the prep into second hit thing that Shulk has for FSmash/USmash/UAir/DAir was a pretty bad idea. They either need to increase the hitstun of the first hits or speed up the second hits.
YESSSS!!! So much this!

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I was looking on http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Shulk, and... is it true that Speed decreases the knockback you deal? I mean, sure, damage decrease = knockback decrease, but I didn't think it had an actual decrease on the knockback itself. I've never heard of this.

It only shows that the knockback decreases when the art is activated solely because your damage output is decreased. Same goes for shield art

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I would have thought that, but by that logic, shouldn't it say Shulk receives more knockback in Jump due to the increase in damage taken?

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
So, if there is a 1.1.6. patch, what ONE change would you like to see for Shulk? And other changes as well, but maybe put them in list format?

Mine:

1) Autocancels (reasonable ones, and most of all fair, then bair)
2) Uair and Dair's second hit to link from the first hit reliably.
3) Overall frame buffs: Nair, dtilt, and uair come to mind (and both startup and endlag, or just one of the two)
4) Dash attack's stupid blind spot. If this move didn't have this, I would use it a lot more in certain combos. Can't remember which ones...sorry
5) Name changes for the MArts. (yeah i know just wait for Smash 5)

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I think at this point I'd prefer less startup than endlag. Endlag is kinda manageable with spacing and MALLC. I'd also like usmash and fsmash to connect better because people really shouldn't be popping out of that.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
What about lingering hitboxes on Shulk's bair, uair, and dair?

Is that too much?
Up air and down air would greatly benefit from lingering hitboxes. It would also make Monado Purge pretty much inescapable; even if they would air dodge, up air would still hit them.
I also think that they should speed up the nair animation and give Shulk some actual autocancels.

Last edited:

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
Up air and down air would greatly benefit from lingering hitboxes. It would also make Monado Purge pretty much inescapable; even if they would air dodge, up air would still hit them.
I also think that they should speed up the nair animation and give Shulk some actual autocancels.
I totally agree. I think Shulk needs some major buffs to his air-game, tweaks to the uair and dair hitboxes, and only minor touches to his ground game.

Oh and please fix Vision so it hits in the air

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Monado Purge?

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Okay, thanks. As a reminder, how does a buffered deactivation on Jump change your movement? I can't picture it helping to link moves, but I seem to remember it changing your movement in some way. It's been a while since I looked into that... I should get labbing and learn that.

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
On the topic of buffs I think Shulk Fair deserves some tweaking. It is frame 14 and does 8%/6.5%. 11.2%/9.1% in Buster. Compare that to Ike's who has similar range, frame 12, and does 13% with no sourspot. Lucina fair has less range but frame 6 and does 10.5%.

My point here is that the move is SO slow for that amount of damage (although the FAF is good). I'd like it if it got better startup like frame 11 or 12 or got a damage boost to something like 10%/8%

Last edited:

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
Welp, went 0-2 at the tournament again. First game was vs a Samus, so I wnet CLoud, lost first match, counterpicked Battlefield, won against his ZSS, he went back to Samus, I switched to Shulk, he picked me to Dreamland, I got pineappled both stocks, and lost. Losers match was vs this Fox I absolutely should've won against. He didn't go offstage to edgegaurd me, so I stayed CLoud, but I couldn't adapt to his Fox (i have problem vs fox personally) and I lost. Got a lot of firend;ies with this other guy who said he'd upload some replays from his Wii U.

As for changes, I want aerials to have actual autocancel frames, and I want Vision to hit in the air. Oh and fix Air Slash plox, I use a ton of that so I hate when it doesn't connect and I lose a stock

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Is it true that there is a maintenance and possible patch coming May 10th?
I hope so. Shulk needs some more buffs man. Speaking of...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isxwK6O_278

Have fun watching that.

The alerts thing stopped telling me about this thread. Come on. Oh well. I getting into the tournament scene soon and I'm hanging out with the guys at my locals. They will see the true power of the Monado. Trust me on this.

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
I hope so. Shulk needs some more buffs man. Speaking of...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isxwK6O_278

Have fun watching that.

The alerts thing stopped telling me about this thread. Come on. Oh well. I getting into the tournament scene soon and I'm hanging out with the guys at my locals. They will see the true power of the Monado. Trust me on this.
I watched that video too! idk about Marth getting buffed, but i definitely need buffs for my Monado Boy! I mean, come on! Shulk has the 2nd (?) highest agility and 3rd (?) highest strength, so doesn't it make sense that he would have better frame data, or at least (this wouldn't be great...) be more mobile in Vanilla?

I really don't know what the devs were thinking when they made Shulk. Buster art increases damage? Shield art reduces damage? I understand that they had to make Jump and Smash for their purposes, and Speed art at least makes sense: being faster means you can dodge better (except in SSB4 mechanics)

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Honestly I think Shulk is a fairly well-functioning character with well-defined strengths and weaknesses, Fsmash/Usmash issues aside. It's clear at this point that his startup is an intended issue, so besides fixing the aforementioned moves, I'd like to maybe see some slightly improved FAFs to help his safety a little more. I also concur about his fair being strangely weak. Yeah the FAF and range are nice but it is odd to see even the buster version out-damaged by quicker attacks.

Also wish Vision had an aerial variant. Stupid thing is hard enough to trigger in the air thanks to the momentum stall and then 9 times out of 10 Shulk sails over their heads.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
So. For those of you that watched ESAM's video on the Z-Axis in smash4. You'll know that some moves and characters can go into the Z-Axis and dodge thin moves. Like Cloud's Uair vs Shiek's needles. Someone in the comments mentioned thought that one of Shulk's taunts go into the Z-Axis. I also thought this before seeing the comment. He didn't say which, but I believe the down taunt. This is something game changing, but it can have it's effects by removing the Z-Axis. Like Charizards F-tilt being a lot better without the Z-Axis. Watch the vid. It's pretty interesting. I may do some testing on this.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I don't believe it effects Shulk too much, cool as it is. I did notice, messing around with it, that Shulk moves some of his body back when he kneels for his crouch. Of course, the majority of his body is still there, but perhaps the chance projectile dodge...

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
I suppose Shulk was intended to have poor startup, but i feel like his fair needs to be fixed, FH autocancel for bair and fair, SH autocancel on Uair, Uair's and Dair's second hitbox fixed to come out sooner and connect reliably, Aerial variant for Vision, and an overall ending lag reduction on most of his moves (Ftilt, Dtilt(?), dash attack, fair, bair,) Something like 1-2 frames for his aerials, and 2-3 frames for his ground attacks.

Also i think Shield and Smash should have less of a damage dealt reduction. Shield more so than Smash.

EDIT: I still think that jab should be made frame 3 though. And jab 3 should come out sooner and have a bit less lag.

Last edited:

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
Hey guys. Just popping in to let you know that, arguably, the three best Shulks in MDVA will be at the Xanadu Arcadian this Saturday, May 14th. The Shulks are me, Pitzer, and Relaxed. Luckily, none of us are in the same pool, so we won't have Shulk v. Shulk crime or anything. So yeah, if you get the opportunity, you should check in.

Here's the link to the bracket in case anybody's interested. https://smash.gg/tournament/the-spring-arcadian/brackets/12454/25077
The stream is probably on VGBootcamp.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Good luck guys! I didn't sign up cause I had no clue what might've been going on this weekend, but good luck all the same!

On a different note, anybody fight any decent Mewtwo's lately? Played a few in friendlies today and man it's tricky to fight a character who has longer range AND a projectile against us. I wasn't playing as patiently as I could have been because...friendlies, but all the same it seemed like a really tricky matchup to work around.

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo's speed buffs definitely help in the matchup, imo

Mewtwo has longer range? Like overall, or just a tilt here and aerial there?

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
Good luck guys! I didn't sign up cause I had no clue what might've been going on this weekend, but good luck all the same!

On a different note, anybody fight any decent Mewtwo's lately? Played a few in friendlies today and man it's tricky to fight a character who has longer range AND a projectile against us. I wasn't playing as patiently as I could have been because...friendlies, but all the same it seemed like a really tricky matchup to work around.
I think the signups filled in like, a day. It was pretty wild. Thanks a bunch!

I've played a really good Mewtwo a few times. What I remember is really struggling to land and trying to figure out how to approach the shadow ball charge. I imagine that we have to treat the Shadow Ball charge like Limit Charge and just try and stay in a zone where they feel threatened enough to stop charging. Down tilt is rough because it can punish a lot of our spaced aerials. It's definitely not an easy matchup, but I think it's doable, it just requires a lot of conversions when the Mewtwo is stuck on the ledge.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Mewtwo's speed buffs definitely help in the matchup, imo

Mewtwo has longer range? Like overall, or just a tilt here and aerial there?
I suppose I misspoke a little. More specifically, Mewtwo's DTilt outranges both of Shulk's grounded spacing tools and he has enough aerial combos to make aerial approaches kind of dangerous. Add this to having one of the best projectiles in the game and things get kinda tricky.

Top Bottom