• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Please watch the video, all of you
I already knew about this, but it cool that your showing it off to the rest of us.

So, I'm going into the Smash 4 scene in probably a couple of weeks. I'm not really sure how I'll do, so I'm asking you guys for help. Later in this post are the legal stages that we use. Any and all tips and tricks that anyone has with these stages. Please say. I'll also post the top players characters and again, any and all tips and tricks will be so helpful.

I'm currently going in with these 3 characters as my main set up. :4shulk:, :4cloud:, and the last one I'm not entirely sure, but I'm looking at :4corrin: for the last slot.

I will also ask the Cloud and Corrin pages for tips and tricks with there characters.

Here are the top 10 players and there characters at my locals.
1. :4peach: :rosalina: :4bayonetta:
2. :4metaknight: :4corrin: :4cloud:
3. :rosalina: :4mario:
4. :4dedede: :4wario:
5. :4marth: :4greninja:
6. :4ness: :4sheik:
7. :4rob: :4gaw:
8. :4ness: :4falcon:
9. :4falcon: :4cloud:
10. :4bowser: :4kirby:

And here are the legal stages.
Starters:
Smashville
Town and City
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland64

Counterpicks:
Duck Hunt
Lylat Cruise
(you may now substitute Miiverse for Battlefield)
(you may now substitute any Omega for Final Destination)

Again. Any and all tips and tricks about anything will be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance. Time to go copy and paste this to the Corrin and Cloud boards.

Last edited:

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
I already knew about this, but it cool that your showing it off to the rest of us.

So, I'm going into the Smash 4 scene in probably a couple of weeks. I'm not really sure how I'll do, so I'm asking you guys for help. Later in this post are the legal stages that we use. Any and all tips and tricks that anyone has with these stages. Please say. I'll also post the top players characters and again, any and all tips and tricks will be so helpful.

I'm currently going in with these 3 characters as my main set up. :4shulk:, :4cloud:, and the last one I'm not entirely sure, but I'm looking at :4corrin: for the last slot.

I will also ask the Cloud and Corrin pages for tips and tricks with there characters.

Here are the top 10 players and there characters at my locals.
1. :4peach: :rosalina: :4bayonetta:
2. :4metaknight: :4corrin: :4cloud:
3. :rosalina: :4mario:
4. :4dedede: :4wario:
5. :4marth: :4greninja:
6. :4ness: :4sheik:
7. :4rob: :4gaw:
8. :4ness: :4falcon:
9. :4falcon: :4cloud:
10. :4bowser: :4kirby:

And here are the legal stages.
Starters:
Smashville
Town and City
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland64

Counterpicks:
Duck Hunt
Lylat Cruise
(you may now substitute Miiverse for Battlefield)
(you may now substitute any Omega for Final Destination)

Again. Any and all tips and tricks about anything will be much appreciated. Thanks in Advance. Time to go copy and paste this to the Corrin and Cloud boards.
What kind of tips are you looking for? Like, MALLCs off of platforms and stuff? Or more like, what stages to take these characters?

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Later in this post are the legal stages that we use. Any and all tips and tricks that anyone has with these stages.
Since this was the only specific thing you asked for...
  • Smashville
    • Nothing really. Uair can reach through the stage if you're underneath and in Jump, it's a bit sneaky.
    • I'll go here if Battlefield's gone, Shulk wants platforms.
  • Town and City
    • Shulk can utilt through some of the high platforms when they're actually present.
    • I prefer not to go here against characters that are good at killing off the top. There's a lower ceiling on this stage.
  • Battlefield
    • I love this stage when I'm not against someone like Sheik that's amazing at using the platforms. Shulk loves platforms when people are above him because of fair, nair, utilt and stuff like that.
  • Final Destination
    • This is okay, I guess. Make sure you don't let projectile-heavy characters like Link take you here.
  • Dreamland64
    • Same as considerations as Battlefield.
    • I'd choose Battlefield over this if your opponent is good at killing off the top, the top platform feels higher (don't quote me on that.)
    • Don't double-jump or up-B into the underside. Don't get pineappled.
  • Duck Hunt
    • For some reason I always do well on this stage...
    • If people are in the big tree above you this can be good for the same reasons as mentioned before.
    • I like to use the grass to hide in. Because Shulk's got such good range I find that I can often get sneak attacks or dashgrabs from it.
    • If the dog is annoying you (I really think people need to stop crying about it), remember to keep an eye on the ducks. If the ducks are killed or the entire goddamn stage goes orange (FLY AWAY), the dog'll pop up.
    • I find that if I've got Jump on, having platforms in the trees near the edges can be helpful in recovering.
  • Lylat Cruise
    • Why does everyone hate this stage? They fixed the underside.
    • I like going here against projectile users, they have to put more thought into their projectile trajectories.
    • Whilst Shulk can utilt through the platforms above him, the platforms are quite low so it might open the possibility of hitting through platforms to other characters.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
What kind of tips are you looking for? Like, MALLCs off of platforms and stuff? Or more like, what stages to take these characters?
Since this was the only specific thing you asked for...
  • Smashville
    • Nothing really. Uair can reach through the stage if you're underneath and in Jump, it's a bit sneaky.
    • I'll go here if Battlefield's gone, Shulk wants platforms.
  • Town and City
    • Shulk can utilt through some of the high platforms when they're actually present.
    • I prefer not to go here against characters that are good at killing off the top. There's a lower ceiling on this stage.
  • Battlefield
    • I love this stage when I'm not against someone like Sheik that's amazing at using the platforms. Shulk loves platforms when people are above him because of fair, nair, utilt and stuff like that.
  • Final Destination
    • This is okay, I guess. Make sure you don't let projectile-heavy characters like Link take you here.
  • Dreamland64
    • Same as considerations as Battlefield.
    • I'd choose Battlefield over this if your opponent is good at killing off the top, the top platform feels higher (don't quote me on that.)
    • Don't double-jump or up-B into the underside. Don't get pineappled.
  • Duck Hunt
    • For some reason I always do well on this stage...
    • If people are in the big tree above you this can be good for the same reasons as mentioned before.
    • I like to use the grass to hide in. Because Shulk's got such good range I find that I can often get sneak attacks or dashgrabs from it.
    • If the dog is annoying you (I really think people need to stop crying about it), remember to keep an eye on the ducks. If the ducks are killed or the entire goddamn stage goes orange (FLY AWAY), the dog'll pop up.
    • I find that if I've got Jump on, having platforms in the trees near the edges can be helpful in recovering.
  • Lylat Cruise
    • Why does everyone hate this stage? They fixed the underside.
    • I like going here against projectile users, they have to put more thought into their projectile trajectories.
    • Whilst Shulk can utilt through the platforms above him, the platforms are quite low so it might open the possibility of hitting through platforms to other characters.
Ok. Thanks for the stages tips AlvisCPU AlvisCPU , and dhblademaster dhblademaster I'm looking for anything you got.

-m0

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-6905-2845
Discovered this messing around with customs today. Pretty useless considering customs are dead, but thought I'd make a video about it anyway. Sorry for potato quality, I did my best.

Should this maybe go the competitive discussion thread? Do more people go there than the social. Like I haven't seen Masonmace here at all and I thought he was one the prominent contributors here.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Discovered this messing around with customs today. Pretty useless considering customs are dead, but thought I'd make a video about it anyway. Sorry for potato quality, I did my best.

Should this maybe go the competitive discussion thread? Do more people go there than the social. Like I haven't seen Masonmace here at all and I thought he was one the prominent contributors here.
I haven't been to just about any other thread on this website in a while. Mainly because they don't have any posts for a while. It's fine here. Just about anything goes here now-a-days.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
This is just conjecture, but if customs were back in, I think Shulk would jump to the lower end of high tier solely due to Hyper Monado Arts. Buster becomes incredibly useful, as does Smash (kill throws at 70%). Hyper Jump Monado Purge true combos now, and Speed makes Shulk's neutral, ridiculous, even if it is for only a few seconds. And Shield... well, you won't die. For a few seconds, anyway.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This is just conjecture, but if customs were back in, I think Shulk would jump to the lower end of high tier solely due to Hyper Monado Arts. Buster becomes incredibly useful, as does Smash (kill throws at 70%). Hyper Jump Monado Purge true combos now, and Speed makes Shulk's neutral, ridiculous, even if it is for only a few seconds. And Shield... well, you won't die. For a few seconds, anyway.
Kind of glossing over the big downsides. Hyper Speed may give Sonic-level ability to get punishes but those hits are very weak, without the frame data to back it up. Hyper Buster is only really used for shield-breaking mindgames because even though it inflicts gobs of damage, most attacks are unsafe on hit due to there being no knockback (and no hitstun), unlike the original or decisive which are good in most circumstances. Not to mention the short duration on those arts means you're going to be spending quite a bit of time on the defensive rather than the other way around.

Smash and Shield are pretty much directly upgraded though. Hyper Shield in particular is probably the best thing about Hyper Arts, you don't just become impossible to kill, you basically won't budge when hit until obscene percents.

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
I much rather play Decisive Arts instead of Hyper Arts. They last longer and are more powerful then the Normal Arts. I just don't like how long the Hyper Arts last. Shulk would go up on the tier list pretty high with customs. He just has some of the most powerful customs in the game. Power Counter which kills at like 0%, The different Arts customs which can be tough to call and predict, and Backslash Charge which can be nice as a recovery move.

I know my locals do doubles and amiibo tourneys every now and then. How is Shulk in Doubles? I know Cloud is one of the best in doubles. Not sure about Corrin though.

So. Which of the legal stages would be the best for Shulk? I know that Duck Hunt is probably the best choice out of the legal picks due to the small width of the stage. I know Corrin is the best choice for Battlefield/Dreamland due to her Counter, U-air, and Down Throw killing off the top easily. Also her Side B having the ability the slide off the edge to cancel the end lag. That leaves Lylat, FD/Omega form stages, Smashville, and Town and City.
I would ask the Corrinboards for more help, but they haven't responded yet. The Cloudboards have though. About just as much as you guys have. So I guess I'll be asking you guys and the Cloudboards guys for Corrin tips...lol. Oh well. Thanks for all the help so far guys.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Kind of glossing over the big downsides. Hyper Speed may give Sonic-level ability to get punishes but those hits are very weak, without the frame data to back it up. Hyper Buster is only really used for shield-breaking mindgames because even though it inflicts gobs of damage, most attacks are unsafe on hit due to there being no knockback (and no hitstun), unlike the original or decisive which are good in most circumstances. Not to mention the short duration on those arts means you're going to be spending quite a bit of time on the defensive rather than the other way around.

Smash and Shield are pretty much directly upgraded though. Hyper Shield in particular is probably the best thing about Hyper Arts, you don't just become impossible to kill, you basically won't budge when hit until obscene percents.
Good points. I think, however, that the short duration of the Hyper Arts lends itself to MALLC-heavy playstyle. The short duration I think also is a boon particularly for Smash Art, which you should only be using for a short time anyway. Should you become disadvantaged in Smash Art, the short duration will keep you from enduring sustained punishment.
The short duration I think is only detrimental to Speed and Shield; Speed Art benefits from long durations because it is perhaps Shulk's best art for neutral (though some would argue Buster is just as useful), and the neutral is where most of the game is going to played. The duration of Speed gives you less time to break the neutral and get a punish. However, should you get the opponent offstage, Hyper Speed's air mobility allows for some crazy edgeguards. You will probably need to read an airdodge, but if you do, you may be able to gimp the opponent at 30%.
As for Hyper Shield, your ability to tank for long periods of time will be hindered, but you can also utilize the increased camping potential of Hyper Jump and Hyper Speed.
Another utility of Hyper Jump and Hyper Speed is nair->Advancing Air Slash kill confirms. These are actually pretty easy to land from what I've tested, too.
As for the Hyper Buster hitstun issue, you can alleviate this a bit by taking on a more grounded playstyle. Hyper Buster down tilt deals 15% with the blade hitbox, and it can lead into itself. Two consecutive down tilts is practically half a stock when you have Smash down throw at the ledge. At early percents, opponents hit by down tilt won't even leave the ground, however, allowing them to shield. If they do shield, though, you can punish this with Hyper Buster back throw, which deals a whopping 20% fresh.
Nevertheless, you will sometimes get punished in Hyper Buster on-hit. However, for much of the cast, this punishment is well worth landing one 15%+ attack. Though, against characters with amazing throw-based punishes, it might not be. But still, even if you were to be down by 50%, it would only take three solid hits to even it up.
In a way, Hypee Buster Shulk is like Melee Ganondorf. It's basically Stray Hits: The Game.

Oh yeah, and as a side note, Hyper Speed's perfect pivot is just stupid. Perfect pivot up tilts for days.

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Good points. I think, however, that the short duration of the Hyper Arts lends itself to MALLC-heavy playstyle. The short duration I think also is a boon particularly for Smash Art, which you should only be using for a short time anyway. Should you become disadvantaged in Smash Art, the short duration will keep you from enduring sustained punishment.
The short duration I think is only detrimental to Speed and Shield; Speed Art benefits from long durations because it is perhaps Shulk's best art for neutral (though some would argue Buster is just as useful), and the neutral is where most of the game is going to played. The duration of Speed gives you less time to break the neutral and get a punish. However, should you get the opponent offstage, Hyper Speed's air mobility allows for some crazy edgeguards. You will probably need to read an airdodge, but if you do, you may be able to gimp the opponent at 30%.
As for Hyper Shield, your ability to tank for long periods of time will be hindered, but you can also utilize the increased camping potential of Hyper Jump and Hyper Speed.
Another utility of Hyper Jump and Hyper Speed is nair->Advancing Air Slash kill confirms. These are actually pretty easy to land from what I've tested, too.
As for the Hyper Buster hitstun issue, you can alleviate this a bit by taking on a more grounded playstyle. Hyper Buster down tilt deals 15% with the blade hitbox, and it can lead into itself. Two consecutive down tilts is practically half a stock when you have Smash down throw at the ledge. At early percents, opponents hit by down tilt won't even leave the ground, however, allowing them to shield. If they do shield, though, you can punish this with Hyper Buster back throw, which deals a whopping 20% fresh.
Nevertheless, you will sometimes get punished in Hyper Buster on-hit. However, for much of the cast, this punishment is well worth landing one 15%+ attack. Though, against characters with amazing throw-based punishes, it might not be. But still, even if you were to be down by 50%, it would only take three solid hits to even it up.
In a way, Hypee Buster Shulk is like Melee Ganondorf. It's basically Stray Hits: The Game.

Oh yeah, and as a side note, Hyper Speed's perfect pivot is just stupid. Perfect pivot up tilts for days.
Good points back at you. That's the thing though. I don't use MALLC because it's too frame perfect for me and I love using Speed and Jump. All the opponent has to do to counter the Hyper Arts is to stay away/space. With the Decisive Arts, you can't do that nearly as easily if at all. Basically the Decisive Arts fit me more, while the Hyper Arts fit MALLC users more. I'd like to use MALLC, but again. It's to freaking frame perfect. Oh well. You do you, I'll do me.

Eh. Hyper arts sounds good in theory but in practice, the duration of the arts makes it fairly difficult to use. You also have to take note that his disadvantages with hyper arts are also magnified by a lot and it's safe to assume that there's no way you can utilize shulk without committing to any mistakes, and we know that this character's moves all have a lot of commitment. The advantages of hyper arts are amazing of course. Hyper smash is ridiculous if you activate at the right time but if you screw it up, you can die early. Only hyper shield and hyper speed are the safe arts at the neutral but with hyper shield, you can't really do much except take less damage, not die, and stall for time until your other arts activate. Hyper speed is amazing for Shulk's neutral but the damage output is garbage. You can try setting up into buster art after taking control of the stage with buster art

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSYKm1l2HLE
My boy. ZeRo coming in with the hour long Shulk rekt city gameplay. I actually learned quite a bit from this video. Like more about this Monado Purge tech I've heard about. This video also makes me wanna try out different arts then Speed, Jump, and Shield. I'll also join that Discord group ZeRo was talking about. If I can find it.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
With patches being a "who knows when they'll end?" sort of thing I will take literally anything. Shave a frame off dash attack's startup. Increase everything's damage by .5 again. Make Shulk invincible while he's really feeling it. Just don't let me see "no changes" on the patch thread.

I updated the title of the thread. Sadly, it's entirely possible that we may get snubbed again but who knows. Maybe they'll throw us a bone or two this time Unlike in 1.1.4.....

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
When is the patch coming out!!!! PLEASE GIVE SHULK FRAME BUFFS!

*downloads patch, checks smashboards for patch notes:

..."hmmmmm oh cool Shulk's attacks all do 0.5 more damage! Wow thank you Sakurai!"

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
When is the patch coming out!!!! PLEASE GIVE SHULK FRAME BUFFS!

*downloads patch, checks smashboards for patch notes:

..."hmmmmm oh cool Shulk's attacks all do 0.5 more damage! Wow thank you Sakurai!"
At this rate, we're going to get to the point where Shulk's down air in Buster mode does 30 damage. Wouldn't that be fun? :p

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
At this rate, we're going to get to the point where Shulk's down air in Buster mode does 30 damage. Wouldn't that be fun? :p
and all his aerials will have 2 frames of landing lag. Same with Roy and Robin

Make this a DLC!!!! Then i would actually buy FE: Fates

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
So, the only changes in the 1.1.6 patch is Bayo getting slightly nerfed...Come on Sakurai.
Ehhh, don't fall into the trap. It's -said- to be like that, but it's only the observeable. The patch is too big to just bayo, so stage balancing and other characters are not out of the window.
Just like in earlier patches, where we couldn't see -everything- in it. But, it's propably better to be keeping the expectations low.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
The hackers datamined it. As I understand it, Nintendo puts the update on their server before it is supposed to drop, but the Wii U cannot access it at that time. The computer guys can get on their computers and dig through the files though. That's how they've figured out about patch changes recently, I believe.

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
The hackers datamined it. As I understand it, Nintendo puts the update on their server before it is supposed to drop, but the Wii U cannot access it at that time. The computer guys can get on their computers and dig through the files though. That's how they've figured out about patch changes recently, I believe.
So only Bayonetta has been changed? Or is the focus solely on her for the moment?

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
It's already confirmed that the only character that received changes was Bayonetta
But is it impossible that no other characters have been changed? What about the other patches that were different from the pre-release and post-release? Plus this patch is huge in size for the 3DS.

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
But is it impossible that no other characters have been changed? What about the other patches that were different from the pre-release and post-release? Plus this patch is huge in size for the 3DS.
I think it's really big on the 3DS because when you download a patch on the 3DS, it downloads all of the previous patches. I think there was one patch (1.1.2?) that only removed a glitch from Diddy Kong and had no other changes. So, this patch could be a similar situation to that.

But is it impossible that no other characters have been changed?
Only Bayo was changed, unfortunately (it's both good and bad for us, I guess). This was already known before the patch was released
What about the other patches that were different from the pre-release and post-release? Plus this patch is huge in size for the 3DS.
There could be other changes though that aren't related to character balancing (stages, models, etc)

Rawbinator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HypothesisTest
Seems likely that current Shulk is the final Shulk. :\

Anyways, GOML this weekend. Looking through pools, there will be a good number of Shulks there: Jerm, Artryuu, Darkwolf, and maybe more that I don't know. Though there's a lot of top players in general so it'll probably be hard to get on stream unless they're playing one of them lol

Sha-Shulk

Smash Apprentice
Why Sakurai avoids player-input on balancing (i understand he can't do EVERYTHING that people ask for; frame 1 for all Mario's attacks? Seriously? XD) i'll never understand. I would think that all SM4SH players have, collectively, more experience with the game than the dev team does.

Edit: She still has a Zero to death combo...This is bad.
Where? I'd like to know because after seeing that the SDI multipliers for both afterburner kick and witch twist were increased to 2, I doubt they'd ever happen (well, it can't happen if they don't exist anymore)

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Where? I'd like to know because after seeing that the SDI multipliers for both afterburner kick and witch twist were increased to 2, I doubt they'd ever happen (well, it can't happen if they don't exist anymore)
The combo, while not going to happen much, can still happen. The combo is this.
Dtilt -> SH Fair 1 -> Up B -> SH Fair 1 & 2 -> Up B -> Fair 1,2 &3.
This combo works on most characters I believe. Maybe a few fast fallers may escape from it, but most of the cast will die from this. Also I'm sure that if caught in the air, Bayo can still kill you with Up B -> Jump -> Up B. She will still have great combos, she will still be viable, and she will still always...ALWAYS have a 0 to death combo.

Anyway. In other news. Since I'm going into tournaments with Shulk, Cloud, and Corrin. I wanted to change my profile picture to suit this. Since all 3 of those characters use swords, I wanted to have all 3 of there swords kinda cross each other in the pic. And maybe if I wanted to get fancy, I could have something like a faded version of those 3 hovering over there respective swords or something like that, Here's the thing though. I don't have photo editing programs and I'm broke, so I need to work with what comes with the laptop. Which is Paint...Paint...this sucks.
What I need is either a better free photo editing program of sorts, or a background-less Omega Yato sword. Also for some reason whenever I fill the white bg of the Buster Sword, it ends up with with scratchy non-colored in area around the sword which means I can't do what I need to do. Basically I need a free photo editing software, or if someone has photo editing software can make it for me. I don't expect anyone here to have something like that, so I have one choice. If anyone knows anything like what I need, please tell me.

I would also like to get that photo on a T-shirt or something like that. After the first day when everyone knows my characters I could wear it for good luck or something like that.

Like I said, there's no need to worry about her up B anymore. Hell, you can punish her for landing up B on you if you SDI out of it (which is easy thanks to the nerfs)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Like I said, there's no need to worry about her up B anymore. Hell, you can punish her for landing up B on you if you SDI out of it (which is easy thanks to the nerfs)
That's a tad hyperbolic. Yes it can SDIed but you still have to be ready for it since it's still a frame 4 move that will start combos if you don't.

ExcaliburGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ExcaliburGuy
3DS FC
0817-4246-5421
Here's the thing though. I don't have photo editing programs and I'm broke, so I need to work with what comes with the laptop. Which is Paint...Paint...this sucks.
What I need is either a better free photo editing program of sorts, or a background-less Omega Yato sword. Also for some reason whenever I fill the white bg of the Buster Sword, it ends up with with scratchy non-colored in area around the sword which means I can't do what I need to do. Basically I need a free photo editing software, or if someone has photo editing software can make it for me. I don't expect anyone here to have something like that, so I have one choice. If anyone knows anything like what I need, please tell me.

I would also like to get that photo on a T-shirt or something like that. After the first day when everyone knows my characters I could wear it for good luck or something like that.
GIMP can do pretty much anything Photoshop can do, and it's free. It does take a while to get used to the UI, but there's plenty of online tutorials for it.
Also, here's a tip. When you're done with the image, save it AND export it. Exporting will let you choose a file format, including ones that keep transparency (.png and .gif do this, I believe).
Otherwise you'll have an image in the native GIMP file format, which is super big and doesn't keep transparency.

Top Bottom