• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

So I really really wanna main Shulk. I've played the game over 80 hours even! So I was gonna ask if you guys had any tips for me!
Going to this thread could help

tl;dr

Buster, defensive play damage/nair
Shield, turtling/nair
Speed, grab/nair
Jump, nair/nair
Smash, f-tilt/vision
Vision, lmao
nair, life
jab, love
Have still yet to be able to play Xenoblade myself but I've tried Shulk out and I'm beginning to really like the Monado Arts mechanic. Opens up a lot of situational strategies with him.

If I can manage to get good enough with the mechanic I might very well make Shulk one of my first mains.
Yooooooooooooo KoP

I hope you get to become one of us!

Edit: First KO with back slash on the back against Ike

Ugh. Pacman's a jackass :sadsheep:

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yooooooooooooo KoP

I probably will! Once I've got my online connection up and running (I honestly have an easier and more fun time training my skill in combat with real players that are decent rather than CPUs, I get bored of those really quickly) you can expect to see me back here more often. Shulk's a character that I'd really like to get better with.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Going to this thread could help

tl;dr

Buster, defensive play damage/nair
Shield, turtling/nair
Speed, grab/nair
Jump, nair/nair
Smash, f-tilt/vision
Vision, lmao
nair, life
jab, love

Yooooooooooooo KoP

Edit: First KO with back slash on the back against Ike

Ugh. Pacman's a ******* :sadsheep:
Thanks! I must have missed that as I haven't been on SmashBoards for awhile!

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
As others have been saying here, Shulk is hard to get used to. Most of the new characters have been pretty easy to use, but Shulk's not.

Unrelated: I got a home run contest of 4208 ft with Shulk :D! GSP of 983851

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So guys, I managed to get my hands on a working copy of Xenoblade this time (finally). Quite forgot that crazy-awesome camera and the wide scape of views it had. Wish me luck and no spoiling, thanx.

AFeralFurry

Smash Cadet
I don't have the game yet, but Shulk's hard to use, huh?

That's only going to make mastering him feel even better when I manage it. :p

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
I feel like in order for me to beat people with Shulk, I have to read them all the time 100 percent, but if I go even with someone then I will lose. :(

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I've played a few reaaaally good Rosalina's today and I found something interesting.. You know how when you use vision and counterattack Shulk slides forward? Well I figured out when she sends Luma out, but Luma isn't too far away from Rosalina, you can use vision on the Luma's attack and slide forward hitting both of them.

I KO'd a Rosalina by doing that.:4shulk:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Despite never playing Xenoblade Chronicles, I had set a goal to main Shulk ever since his reveal. If only for that accent.

After playing as him for a while, I'm definitely set on adding him to my mains. I still need to get used to the Monado Arts, but even without using them, I just love playing as Shulk. Everything about his moveset works for me, so I'm really feeling it.

I definitely need to play his game, so I hope we get the New 3DS and that port soon.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Despite never playing Xenoblade Chronicles, I had set a goal to main Shulk ever since his reveal. If only for that accent.

After playing as him for a while, I'm definitely set on adding him to my mains. I still need to get used to the Monado Arts, but even without using them, I just love playing as Shulk. Everything about his moveset works for me, so I'm really feeling it.

I definitely need to play his game, so I hope we get the New 3DS and that port soon.
Makes you wonder though. What will the bottom screen be used for in the port?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Man, you guys should try out Monado Jump and gimping people off-stage with f-airs. It feels so good and it's funny to see. One problem I do have is his n-air, which is a problem that Ike has. If you do one off-stage, then you're pretty much dead. :c

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Man, you guys should try out Monado Jump and gimping people off-stage with f-airs. It feels so good and it's funny to see. One problem I do have is his n-air, which is a problem that Ike has. If you do one off-stage, then you're pretty much dead. :c
Nah its not too bad. If you have jump active you'll be fine and his Air Slash goes up pretty high on it's own. I shnair off stage all the time and hardly ever self destruct.

Last edited:

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
I like Shulk just do to how complex he is, he can be good against nearly anyone. Also this guides are amazing the people that do these are figuring small details that really add up for great combo game.

Any Tips for fighting Little Mac and other sword characters? Everyone has certain weaknesses you can exploit but those match Shulk in the types of moves they use, so it turns into who can mess up less. Like Shulk's counter is slower than Little Mac's so he can counter moves faster

Jgod

Smash Cadet
Faced another Shulk online. Won all 3 sets double stocked him twice.
IMO serious lack of jump play. I'd go for the deepest gimps you've ever seen.
He'd like to start buster but From set 2 onwards I went speed. Huge Nair abuse and grabs. Basically the Shulk that gets the grab dominates the entire pace until a vision counter happens and if you whiff that counter... U-airs were basically safe against vision counter the range is way to long for vision to hit back.
I knew down smashes were easy to punish but not until I saw someone else miss them. Your opposition basically gets to run to the store buy a sandwhich run to the theater check a movie, come back and grab you. Screw that.

Dair is damn easy to miss and when I landed it he air slashed out...I failed to do it but if I had dodged those air slashes. I'd be able to grab him off air. Shield really has to be switched out of off-stage. He used jump so little he always had it up but stayed in shield allowing easy edge guards.

Little Mac? Its harder to say vs the smarter masks but I just went to edge of the stage. Got ready to grab or D-Smash. Then went for the guard.

Marth/Lucina/ike all play similar to Shulk with notable speed differences. I'm avoiding Monado smash on heavies unless I'm low %.
Tbh I think all 3 are iffy fights because to be blunt...if any of us get our counter it changes the whole damn thing because of how hard all 4 swordsman can hit. Abuse speed on Like to land the grabs when he whiffs. Buster/Jump for me on March/Lucina.

Fox is freaking hard if he knows his combo's. So far the safest thing I found was to start shield, the weight broke the combos. Smash probably does the same thing but is nowhere near as safe.

Last edited:

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I've been having a lot of fun with Shulk in For Glory so far. I might be looking to main him. Aerial Backslash is a really interesting tool that really seems to catch people by surprise. I also really like his neutral air. Still can't figure out his Dair, though. Its hitbox is way too brief.

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Hey yo in a match where I 2 stocked cpu Little Mac. I was offstage at one point and did air slash to him when he was on the ground,the first spend him higher than it should have and couldn't follow up. What would you call that a upward spike?

Edit: nvm I was wrong does seem to have more power at certain point of the move tho good to note anyway.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Woah, never realized how useful Jump and Speed are, until I saw these posts on it and gave it a try. Especially Jump. Advice for Shulk mains: use Jump. Use Jump A LOT. It's beautiful.

Last edited:

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
Woah, never realized how useful Jump and Speed are, until I saw these posts on it and gave it a try. Especially Jump. Advice for Shulk mains: use Jump. Use Jump A LOT. It's beautiful.
Actually, all of his skills are extremely useful. I personally like using Speed and Jump as defensive arts for when Buster and Smash are on cooldown, using them to space myself from my opponent while punishing their aggressions with pivotgrabs and nairs. Shield is strong at low and high percentages and is a very useful backup when/if Smash runs out of time before you've KOd the enemy, still giving you all the vertical movement you need for spamming those nairs/fairs. Buster and Smash are of course the best arts for KO, but playing it safe for when you're on a lower stock is impossible without Speed, Jump and Shield.

I also find that Back Slash is a very underused skill. It has a large opening but with the recent nerfs to airdodges players will often try to upsmash you out of the air. With good spacig you can catch them with the end of your Back Slash and quickly dodge/shield out of any incoming attacks after that. Another underrated move is Air Slash which has VERY strong knockback with Smash equipped and very little startup time, unlike Shulk's other moves.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
my god I love shulk once you get used to him

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Can't stand the scrubby Shulks online. Backslash abuse which is unpunishable because of lag, monado shield at 0%, spamming tilts and smashes with no rhyme or reason... It's painful to watch as a Shulk main.

Last edited:

Bittersweet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eskay64
3DS FC
2449-5765-1828
-crashes in unceremoniously-

Hi, all, I'm Bitte. After having been missing from the Smashboards for a while, I've returned with a new face and a new name. So yeah. I'm a Shulker. An admittedly pretty bad Shulker, but a Shulker nonetheless. Kinda trying to get better with him.

Last edited:

AFeralFurry

Smash Cadet
Just got the game earlier. Shulk was the second character I played.

Love his playstyle, though it takes a little getting used to.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I really need to master Speed, could definitely use it for decreasing the space between your opponent or rush in when both people are trying to grab each other. Also, a good combo that people should try is using Buster when your opponent is around 40%, and using a up throw then u-tilt to combo them and get in a good 30%-40%. After about 3-4 u-tilts, you could knock them away with f-tilt.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Actually, all of his skills are extremely useful. I personally like using Speed and Jump as defensive arts for when Buster and Smash are on cooldown, using them to space myself from my opponent while punishing their aggressions with pivotgrabs and nairs. Shield is strong at low and high percentages and is a very useful backup when/if Smash runs out of time before you've KOd the enemy, still giving you all the vertical movement you need for spamming those nairs/fairs. Buster and Smash are of course the best arts for KO, but playing it safe for when you're on a lower stock is impossible without Speed, Jump and Shield.

I also find that Back Slash is a very underused skill. It has a large opening but with the recent nerfs to airdodges players will often try to upsmash you out of the air. With good spacig you can catch them with the end of your Back Slash and quickly dodge/shield out of any incoming attacks after that. Another underrated move is Air Slash which has VERY strong knockback with Smash equipped and very little startup time, unlike Shulk's other moves.
Right, it's just that Buster, Smash, and Shield are the more "obvious" ones. There's a clear time to use them, and so at first I was just sticking to them. However, I tried using Jump, and since I prefer an aerial playstyle, it works really well for me, personally.

Back Slash and Air Slash are also very good moves, and I feel like they're underused, or misused, in the case of Back Slash.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Also getting used to Shulk's air game., Fair is awesome as Nair rest I need to test more.
So far his bair seems pretty similar to like Pit/Pitoo's, with longer range but more startup. I don't mind it, and I've gotten some great kills out of it, but it's not his best. His dair and uair are not my favorite. I have yet to really land the uair. Dair spike is good, but kinda tough to time, and the hitbox for the dair seems fairly small.

Jgod

Smash Cadet
Got owned by a Charizard...repeatedly.
I don't think you can counter flare blitz until its near its end.
Super armor of Rock Smash was just a complete pain. Thankfully speed sometimes let my Nairs get by it in time.
With air dodged Nerf he can blitz any god damn time and you basically have to hope counter doesn't crap out or you hit back slash in time to hop over it.

Granted it was one of those Japanese names.... So he has probably had far more time with the game but damn it was frustrating. Just when you think you can punish Charizard...nope.

Played Ness too it was back and forth. My face when I vision countered his up B kamikaze, killed him at 62% technically it was less because that's after vision damage. Would not be surprised if he dies at 10% with that counter if you have Smash on

Last edited:

Bittersweet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eskay64
3DS FC
2449-5765-1828
I really need to start remembering that, yes, Smashes, Tilts, and Aerials that are not forward exist and are useful. It's a really rookie-ish mistake to make, but it's a habit I've never managed to break.

Last edited:

Racquets

Smash Rookie
I got Xenoblade Chronicles day one (preordered--gotta support those JRPGs!) but I never got around to playing it because I was already in college full-swing and I knew the game has hundreds upon hundreds of hours worth of content (and I'm the kind of person who likes to do every single little thing in RPGs, so...). Despite that, I wanted Shulk to be playable in Smash, and when he was confirmed I was very excited! After playing for a while I can safely say I'll main him, even though I'm still not used to him just yet; I still need to get used to which Art works best for the situation at hand. But I'll get there--Shulk has amazing potential and is an all-around fun character. It's great to see so many Shulk users, and it's really nice to meet you all!

WhiteCane

Smash Apprentice
NNID
3DisBlind-Man
3DS FC
5172-2293-0234
Got owned by a Charizard...repeatedly.
I don't think you can counter flare blitz until its near its end.
Super armor of Rock Smash was just a complete pain. Thankfully speed sometimes let my Nairs get by it in time.
With air dodged Nerf he can blitz any god damn time and you basically have to hope counter doesn't crap out or you hit back slash in time to hop over it.

Granted it was one of those Japanese names.... So he has probably had far more time with the game but damn it was frustrating. Just when you think you can punish Charizard...nope.

Played Ness too it was back and forth. My face when I vision countered his up B kamikaze, killed him at 62% technically it was less because that's after vision damage. Would not be surprised if he dies at 10% with that counter if you have Smash on
Had a similar hing with Charizard when you dodge the first few time okay, but after the next 20 it gets hard to predict. Then He started using Smash attacks apparently my DI is predictable has I fell for them 90% of the time.

That said I learned the Smash Art deals with things 50% faster at high percents like a Suicidal Chariard.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well been an interesting weekend, though I'm understanding Shulk better, I'm still losing 2/3 of the time so there a long way to go in that regards.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Doesn't anyone else not like walking in Speed form? He kinda like, accelerates instead of just going at a fixed speed and it feels weird. I don't like it, but I'm certain it's probably gonna be something important to do.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Here's a video of one of my first For Glory battles with Shulk. Please forgive my over usage of the D-air, I know better now. :)

Maestro_

Court Composer
NNID
Maestro227
3DS FC
3411-1820-5923
Hello all! After many hours of play, it appears I am going to be a Shulk main. Level of feeling it: Really.

MASTERLINKX

enjoy my good friend shulk! :)
NNID
MASTERLINKX
Geez, I've only been using Shulk only for the past 4 weeks.
I use Jump and Speed more than I used too. The air momentum change really does help out.

Been doing a lot of For Glory the past couple of hours for the first time on my NA copy, after farming the crap out of Classic Mode.
Only came across 2 Shulk's and they weren't all that impressive. And there's a lot of bad Little Mac players.

If you see " MASTRLI... " on For Glory, that'd be me. Gotta love that Name Display limit.
Hope to see some of you there.

Last edited:

Jgod

Smash Cadet
A fellow Canadian. Itching to see that 4 week experience in action.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Derp its Jgod. 5 minutes after posting I remember the account info for my old account :0.
Had a similar hing with Charizard when you dodge the first few time okay, but after the next 20 it gets hard to predict. Then He started using Smash attacks apparently my DI is predictable has I fell for them 90% of the time.

That said I learned the Smash Art deals with things 50% faster at high percents like a Suicidal Chariard.
I can't tell if it was just the level of experience or if Charizard better then he is given credit for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom