• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Today marks the day I beat Xenoblade. The ending was so beautiful.

Now I can focus more on Smash and Bravely Defualt.

D

Deleted member

I'll probably focus more on playing the main story like I did with the first Xenoblade, but it looks like I'll be completing countless side quests and exploring every nook and cranny regardless.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
I'm now realizing how much of a pain getting the 100% is going to be...

Ay dios mio.
Chuggaaconroys OCD with 100%'ing his Let's Plays might end up killing him when he inevitably ends up doing this game...............
HEY EVERYBODY THIS IS CHUGGAACONROY AND WELCOME TO EPISODE 534 OF LET''S PLAY XENOBLADE CHRONICLES X!!

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
"In this episode, we finally leave New Los Angeles after finishing up the last sidequest!"
And in the next episode we shall finally explore the first continent of the game, which is right outside of New Los Angeles!
Also about the size of the game, there was a friend of mine who was saying that MGS5 is going to be much larger, as it's using Earth as a map essentially. Having your game take place on Earth, however, I feel limits the creativity that is allowed in world designing, and Mira just seems like so much more interesting of a land than Earth.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Without spoiling any plot events, I need an answer to these questions:

Is there a "point of no return" like in Earthbound and Mother 3, where once you pass you cannot leave the area without beating the game?

Is there a post-game? For example, once you beat Paper Mario, the game is over. Starting that file simply takes you to your previous save, and you still have to beat the boss. In The Thousand Year Door, once the final boss was beaten, you could still return to the game and continue to do old and new sidequests or whatever.

I basically don't want to end up in a point of no return situation where I save afterwards and can't go back. If there's no postgame, that's obviously even worse since that file will essentially become useless due to inability to do anything beyond "beat final boss."

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Is there a "point of no return" like in Earthbound and Mother 3, where once you pass you cannot leave the area without beating the game?
Yeah there is, but it's very late in the game and you're warned about it right before. You can't save after that point either.
In addition, some areas will become blocked off from you after certain points in the game; for example, the Central Pit of the Ether Mine in Colony 6 becomes inaccessible after you finish up there. Some quests will also expire after certain plot points which is indicated by an orange clock next to the quest title.
Is there a post-game? For example, once you beat Paper Mario, the game is over. Starting that file simply takes you to your previous save, and you still have to beat the boss. In The Thousand Year Door, once the final boss was beaten, you could still return to the game and continue to do old and new sidequests or whatever.
There's New Game Plus+ which basically has you playing through the entire game again with your upgraded levels and equipment. Everything else is reset, however.
Chuggaaconroys OCD with 100%'ing his Let's Plays might end up killing him when he inevitably ends up doing this game...............
HEY EVERYBODY THIS IS CHUGGAACONROY AND WELCOME TO EPISODE 534 OF LET''S PLAY XENOBLADE CHRONICLES X!!
Isn't Xenoblade X unlinear progression? I feel like the story can go several different ways depending on what order you do stuff in, in which case a Xenoblade X LP would either take ten years or not be 100%

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion

I basically don't want to end up in a point of no return situation where I save afterwards and can't go back. If there's no postgame, that's obviously even worse since that file will essentially become useless due to inability to do anything beyond "beat final boss."
1. Well yes.... But no.... There are certain points in the game where areas and side quests are no longer available to you. But there is also a "point of no return" at the end of the game.
2. Yes there is post game stuff. Mainly New Game +, where you go through the game again with the exact team you had.

D

Deleted member

There is a point of no return, but that is at the very end of the game; the game won't let you save beyond the point of no return. However, there will be areas in the game that will become completely inaccessible after reaching certain points.

There is no post game. There is a New Game +, however.

:4greninja:'d

Last edited by a moderator:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, all three of you. If the game won't let you save, that's good. I didn't want to make the same mistake I made once of saving Earthbound in Giygas's lair. #BadLifeDecisions

I've never played a game with new game + (I'm so uneducated :upsidedown:) so that'll be a first.

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
What are some gimmicks that make final bosses in RPG's interesting to you all? Like if a boss forces your party to change, making you change your tactics. And then on the flip side, what makes final bosses intolerable, like multiple attacks per turn, that could be something like Maelstrom and then a party wide attack.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Thanks, all three of you. If the game won't let you save, that's good. I didn't want to make the same mistake I made once of saving Earthbound in Giygas's lair. #BadLifeDecisions

I've never played a game with new game + (I'm so uneducated :upsidedown:) so that'll be a first.
I feel like it's worth mentioning that there are five "Super Bosses" scattered throughout the world that are all stronger than the actual final boss. They're all at levels above the party's own level cap, making them by default the hardest enemies in the game. You can face them prior to completing the game, however they are easier to face during the New Game + where you're more likely to have met the level cap, and have the best weapons and armor. Would that count as "post game content" in your book?

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I feel like it's worth mentioning that there are five "Super Bosses" scattered throughout the world that are all stronger than the actual final boss. They're all at levels above the party's own level cap, making them by default the hardest enemies in the game. You can face them prior to completing the game, however they are easier to face during the New Game + where you're more likely to have met the level cap, and have the best weapons and armor. Would that count as "post game content" in your book?
It's not precisely what I had in mind*, but I've never tried new game + and thus have no real feelings about it. I don't think RPGs need a postgame to be fun, eg. Earthbound, M3, and PM. I like them if they're present, but I won't rage if they're not. Plus I'm 60+ hours in this game; lack of content is not one of its flaws. (tbh if I did new game +, my roommates would probably murder me for monopolizing the living room even more than I currently do :woman:)

*I heard about some level 120 guy and I'm so curious to just find him. I'm a paltry lv 58 at the moment, so no super bosses for me, but I am definitely checking that out.

Wait okay so how exactly will Xenoblade X tie into Chronicles

Don't they take place in entirely different universes? Maybe X will be a prequel because

Klaus is a character in X that began research into making a new universe so the human race could escape the aliens in X and that's how Chronicles began? Am I even getting that right?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Xenoblade X will share the same themes, but not the same universe I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
They keep saying it's a spiritual sequel, it has not been stated however that there will be no story ties to XC. So it's still very cryptic on how they'll tie together.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Wait okay so how exactly will Xenoblade X tie into Chronicles

Don't they take place in entirely different universes? Maybe X will be a prequel because

Klaus is a character in X that began research into making a new universe so the human race could escape the aliens in X and that's how Chronicles began? Am I even getting that right?
Xenoblade X will share the same themes, but not the same universe I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
It's unknown and debated. Here's are the reasons why I speculate they will be connected
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/70976390I look forward to playing the game and finding out for myself.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Be warned when you fight the last boss: have a good strategy and optimize your party or you WILL die.
Isn't that the case with most bosses already?

Also, I don't mind the sidequests from chugga. His slow progress just made me myself play through xenoblade again, just to satify my greed for plot.
Really, the episodes right after the "apo" was turned off were the most amazing ones, neary unable to stop watching. I think if you don't force 100% onto it, everyone sould be able to enjoy it.

Well then, excuse me, I need to find every mask I can get before I start the first temple in Majoras Mask... (no sarcasm intended.)

Last edited:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Lol, for sure, Xenoblade X 100% by chuggaa will at the very least be 200 episodes tops, given its taking him 100 videos of 20 - 40/50 minutes long each to beat Xenoblade 100%. He's said on his twitter it's gonna go up to probably 104 before it's full done though.

As for what i've spoiled on the ending...I won't discuss what i have to say concerning how Xenoblade and X are connected, but all i'll say for now is that i'm starting to doubt that they take place in the same timeline or universe. I have an idea of how it could work...But it's a bit far-fetched. At best, it probably is an unrelated sequel with just references to its predecessor.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Lol, for sure, Xenoblade X 100% by chuggaa will at the very least be 200 episodes tops, given its taking him 100 videos of 20 - 40/50 minutes long each to beat Xenoblade 100%. He's said on his twitter it's gonna go up to probably 104 before it's full done though.

As for what i've spoiled on the ending...I won't discuss what i have to say concerning how Xenoblade and X are connected, but all i'll say for now is that i'm starting to doubt that they take place in the same timeline or universe. I have an idea of how it could work...But it's a bit far-fetched. At best, it probably is an unrelated sequel with just references to its predecessor.
As long as it isn't tied in like chrono trigger and chrono cross...
Goddamnit, that was really dissapointing.

D

Deleted member

Be warned when you fight the last boss: have a good strategy and optimize your party or you WILL die.
To be completely honest, I thought the boss of Bionis' Heart was more annoying than the final boss.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
To be completely honest, I thought the boss of Bionis' Heart was more annoying than the final boss.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one. I kept having to switch around my party and grind and I still barely won.
Guys, spoiler taaaags. We don't need random people coming to see that
you go to the Bionis Heart in Xenoblade, lol.

D

Deleted member

I had the entirety of Xenoblade Chronicles spoiled for me through this thread. At least now I don't have to play it!
Even though Xenoblade was (sadly) spoiled for you, you should try to get a copy of the game! Whether it be the Wii version or the New 3DS version, it's still a game that you must experience. It's by far one of the best games of the last generation.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I had the entirety of Xenoblade Chronicles spoiled for me through this thread. At least now I don't have to play it!
But Reserved, it's like, the best RPG ever. Plus, the story, THE EPIC STORY! You suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure you don't wanna play it? You said Shulk tastes like strawberry ice cream, you don't want to play a game full of that ice cream? : 3

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
But Reserved, it's like, the best RPG ever. Plus, the story, THE EPIC STORY! You suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure you don't wanna play it? You said Shulk tastes like strawberry ice cream, you don't want to play a game full of that ice cream? : 3
But the story doesn't matter when I already know itttttt

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
But but but, the gameplay, it's cooooooooooool. Plus, all dem sidequests, and exploratiooooooooooon. And dat Monadoooooooooooooooooooo, u don't want any of this epicness? : P

Lozjam

Smash Champion
If you don't play Xenonlade Chronicles we will tie you down and force you to play it! It is a masterpiece of a game!
You are still missing out on sidequests, exploration, and everything else amazing about this game! Xenoblade is not like most JRPG's, it can stand on it's own and be amazing even without a story.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Since sometimes people use spoiler tags for things other than spoilers (e.g. large photos, hilarious comments), I spoiled a thing. Fortunately it didn't make much sense, but that thing is now gonna be expected. >.< I have no problem with using spoiler tags for non-spoilers, but I'm kind of pressed at opening a spoiler tag because I thought it was gonna be a picture and getting part of the ending of the game instead. EDIT: Don't Google "xenoblade glitch" because you will spoil yourself. Dang, a Kardashian can't innocently browse the web without getting hit with another massive spoiler.

In more interesting, less salty news, I experienced my first glitch today. It was... bizarre. The only remotely spoilery thing about it is the location...
Great Battle Scar outside Mechonis Fields

So in one of the locations, there's this downwards sloping hill and a bunch of tiny platforms jutting out of the hill. The hill is slippery , for some reason. I see a quest item on one of those platforms. I walk down the hill and begin to slide quickly. As soon as Shulk hits the platform, the screen goes orange and black and the game crashes, then reboots.

I was kind of terrified. I'd heard about copies of Xenoblade crapping out at an area not too far from where I am (I think...) so I was kind of soiling my pants thinking I was dealing with a game-breaking bug or having to start from scratch. My file was okay, so of course I immediately tried to slide down again. I ran opposite the hill's direction, so my momentum was slowed. I was able to get the quest item. I skip traveled to the nearest landmark and saved. Somewhere nearby, there's a similar hill with platforms jutting out. I try to get to the bottom. Shulk runs into the intersection of hill and platform and yup, black and orange. This time the screen just stayed there, the music played normally. It only crashed when I moved the control stick. Thankfully, I got to take a photo (all potentially spoilery things have been replaced with stickers)...

If you'll notice, the red direction marker at the top disappeared and the number now reads -21,474,836. I am nowhere to be seen on the map in the upper right corner.

I'm guessing that Shulk somehow slid between the platform and the hill and the momentum just tossed him into the ether (:troll:). Apparently this is a pretty glitchy area according to some guy on Reddit, but the only glitch people talked about was jumping to climb up the hill (I did not try that).

I also saw a very minor glitch today. In Makna forest, in that little pond where the Piranax chill and there are tree roots you can walk on, one of the Piranax just walked onto a tree root. It wasn't like halfway in the tree or anything; it was as if it were meant to climb the tree. I tried to take a photo but it went back into the water. I think I've filled up my glitch quota for the month in just this day.

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Since sometimes people use spoiler tags for things other than spoilers (e.g. large photos, hilarious comments), I spoiled a thing. Fortunately it didn't make much sense, but that thing is now gonna be expected. >.< I have no problem with using spoiler tags for non-spoilers, but I'm kind of pressed at opening a spoiler tag because I thought it was gonna be a picture and getting part of the ending of the game instead. EDIT: Don't Google "xenoblade glitch" because you will spoil yourself. Dang, a Kardashian can't innocently browse the web without getting hit with another massive spoiler.

In more interesting, less salty news, I experienced my first glitch today. It was... bizarre. The only remotely spoilery thing about it is the location...
Great Battle Scar outside Mechonis Fields

So in one of the locations, there's this downwards sloping hill and a bunch of tiny platforms jutting out of the hill. The hill is slippery , for some reason. I see a quest item on one of those platforms. I walk down the hill and begin to slide quickly. As soon as Shulk hits the platform, the screen goes orange and black and the game crashes, then reboots.

I was kind of terrified. I'd heard about copies of Xenoblade crapping out at an area not too far from where I am (I think...) so I was kind of soiling my pants thinking I was dealing with a game-breaking bug or having to start from scratch. My file was okay, so of course I immediately tried to slide down again. I ran opposite the hill's direction, so my momentum was slowed. I was able to get the quest item. I skip traveled to the nearest landmark and saved. Somewhere nearby, there's a similar hill with platforms jutting out. I try to get to the bottom. Shulk runs into the intersection of hill and platform and yup, black and orange. This time the screen just stayed there, the music played normally. It only crashed when I moved the control stick. Thankfully, I got to take a photo (all potentially spoilery things have been replaced with stickers)...

If you'll notice, the red direction marker at the top disappeared and the number now reads -21,474,836. I am nowhere to be seen on the map in the upper right corner.

I'm guessing that Shulk somehow slid between the platform and the hill and the momentum just tossed him into the ether (:troll:). Apparently this is a pretty glitchy area according to some guy on Reddit, but the only glitch people talked about was jumping to climb up the hill (I did not try that).

I also saw a very minor glitch today. In Makna forest, in that little pond where the Piranax chill and there are tree roots you can walk on, one of the Piranax just walked onto a tree root. It wasn't like halfway in the tree or anything; it was as if it were meant to climb the tree. I tried to take a photo but it went back into the water. I think I've filled up my glitch quota for the month in just this day.
I haven't had any glitches happen with my copy fortunately. Also I don't really think Dunban as a party member is a spoiler since (a) you play as him in the beginning of the game, (b) he has a whole load of arts in the first boss fight, (c) he mentions that he'll be joining Shulk and Reyn, (d) he's in Shulk's Final Smash, and (e) he's on the back of the box.
I can't tell who the other character is though :p

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
no

Kirby has a Monado so I can just use that
If you don't play Xenonlade Chronicles we will tie you down and force you to play it! It is a masterpiece of a game!
You are still missing out on sidequests, exploration, and everything else amazing about this game! Xenoblade is not like most JRPG's, it can stand on it's own and be amazing even without a story.
What Lozjam said. YOU WILL KNOW THE MONADO'S POWER! In it's original game i mean.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Well then, excuse me, I need to find every mask I can get before I start the first temple in Majoras Mask... (no sarcasm intended.)
:link:
I feel you on this; Without any sort of guided assistance, I feel like I managed (or was pretty darn close to managing) to collect everything possible prior to entering the first temple, with the intentional exception of the piece of heart from the dog race (I'm just going to wait until I get the Mask of Truth). I've 7 heart containers with 2 pieces of heart, and 9 masks right at Woodfall Temple's entrance. . . I can't help but feel that I am missing one or two things (I was saving fishing or later, so I don't know what goes on there with rewards), but whatever. Although I've beaten and 100 %'ed MM before, it has been years since the last time. . . Having a lot of fun again with the remake, though. ;w;

Also, Xenoblade Chronicles's final boss showed me some struggles, I have to admit. I was level 83 I believe, but I actually beat the entire game on my first playthrough without ever upgrading any of my Arts on any character, thus leaving me with a self-inflicted handicap. Ha ha. I don't know why I chose to play that way. . . I suppose I welcome these kind of challenges from time to time.

Edit: That being said, I did conquer all four of the super bosses after spending my AP.

Last edited:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
I haven't had any glitches happen with my copy fortunately. Also I don't really think Dunban as a party member is a spoiler since (a) you play as him in the beginning of the game, (b) he has a whole load of arts in the first boss fight, (c) he mentions that he'll be joining Shulk and Reyn, (d) he's in Shulk's Final Smash, and (e) he's on the back of the box.
I can't tell who the other character is though :p
I thought I might be going overboard with censoring him, but idk. You never know, man. Want to keep things pristine for the greenhorns, ya dig? After all, I went into this game knowing only that Shulk sees the future, and there's a dude called Metal Face
who's relevant until halfway through the game. Also Fiora is his (Shulk's, not Metal Face's) girlfriend.

Can you really not tell who the third one is or is this a case of sarcasm? (is there any party member as spoilerific as this one? [if there is don't tell me please i've accidentally spoiled a bunch of stuff today] ). I guess that gerbil covers it up pretty well. Unfortunately it seems the nutcracker failed to contain Dunban's flowing mane.
It's Fiora, ofc.

D

Deleted member

it can stand on it's own and be amazing even without a story.
At the very beginning of the game, when I was exploring the Colony, I decided that Shulk was a fur trader who put together a sword out of scrap materials and killed Bunnits to sell their fur for profit.

It was still a fantasic game.

Last edited by a moderator:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Can you really not tell who the third one is or is this a case of sarcasm? (is there any party member as spoilerific as this one? [if there is don't tell me please i've accidentally spoiled a bunch of stuff today] ). I guess that gerbil covers it up pretty well. Unfortunately it seems the nutcracker failed to contain Dunban's flowing mane.
It's Fiora, ofc.
It's not sarcasm, I've heard arguments for Melia and Riki being spoilers so I wasn't sure :p The gerbil really does cover it up well.
without ever upgrading any of my Arts on any character,
Whaa...? Did you not know about it? How in the world did you get through the game with Shield at 1? Did you not use skills either?

Last edited:
Top Bottom