• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I think I have a question...
I was under the assumption that Meyneth and Zanza had created the universe multiple times, and had wiped it out just as many times, when the beings decided to explore beyond... and that Xenoblade's iteration of the universe just happened to be the one in which Meyneth decided that enough was enough. Was this ever confirmed, either in-game or in the Monado Archives book? Or just an assumption I made?
Obviously Meyneth wasn't really on board with any of it. I think since Klaus was the one who initiated the new universe, he had more power than Meyneth (seen in their fight) and so it was really only his decision whether or not to destroy the universe. My guess is that the Xenoblade storyline takes place when Alvis decides that enough is enough. How he does this, being a computer, I don't know. Future, dude. Xenoblade is sci-fi too.

New title suggestion time! :p

Whoever has the best title suggestion will be infracted for fun will be the "user at the moment" on the OP which I'll put once I change the title. Why? Because I'm bored ;)

About the Pit/DP MU thread, I'll make it another time. After I sleep

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00

Whoever has the best title suggestion will be infracted for fun will be the "user at the moment" on the OP which I'll put once I change the title. Why? Because I'm bored ;)

What about "You thought Sheik was the true god of Smash 4, huh?" or something similar?

D

Deleted member

"Shulk is Decisively Hyper (Arts)"?

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

I need a video of a Shulk defeating a Fox and I'll give you a good one.

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
I think I have a question...
I was under the assumption that Meyneth and Zanza had created the universe multiple times, and had wiped it out just as many times, when the beings decided to explore beyond... and that Xenoblade's iteration of the universe just happened to be the one in which Meyneth decided that enough was enough. Was this ever confirmed, either in-game or in the Monado Archives book? Or just an assumption I made?
With the talk of a Xenoblade prequel, I'm not sure if my understanding of the lore is flawed or not.
You could do a prequel in a previous universe iteration... though it'd be a pretty depressing ending (just like every other prequel ever) if it ends with the universe being wiped clean. And I guess it wouldn't be a Xenoblade prequel without Xenoblade's universe :p
It's not that Meyneth and Zanza recreated the universe multiple times, i always saw it as it's moreso that Zanza just wiped out the world's population over and over again. Basically, any time the Homs started to become strong enough to possibly escape the passage of fate, Zanza would inhabit one of their bodies and unleash the Telethia and make their numbers dwindle to the point of near extinction and have them basically start all over. That's my theory on what Alvis revealed about Zanza's action.

Xenoblade's storyline really just begins with Shulk honestly. He was the only factor that really made anything different. Prior to Shulk's birth, Zanza had just kept restarting the evolution of the Homs/Life on Bionis over and over until finally he fought Meyneth and was imprisoned on Prison Island. But he already proved that he was just waiting for a new vessel to just restart the cycle and had it not been for Shulk being unique, it would've worked. He did foresee a new vessel (Shulk) to again re-enact his plans of wiping out life on Bionis to restart the cycle, but thanks to Alvis, and Shulk's incredible willpower and his unique journey that no one had ever experienced anything like before, he was able to change Zanza's manipulated destiny and free the world from his curse.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09

Colony 6: Xenoblade Prequel when?

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
Xenoblade keeps punching me in the feels. D: Seriously this game is a drug. The cutseens are so freakishly good to me.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I haven't been back in here in a damn long time.

Zensor

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sebdude198
3DS FC
1289-8462-4385
I always read, but I barely can contribute anything in here anymore... sadly.
It's only natural that the Xenoblade series would be discussed here. But you've said some interesting things about Shulk in Smash!

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
It's only natural that the Xenoblade series would be discussed here. But you've said some interesting things about Shulk in Smash!
Well, as I am currently trying to maximise roy's playstyle, and procastinating my MALLC training, I am just browsing by.

And thanks! I really appreciate feedback of any kind. You are afterall a wonderful community. It makes fun to contribute.

Although I think buster is the best art (imo) and speed is on par with buster for several reasons in terms of utility (only reason why I'm all buster > speed is because of dat damage), I think his viability will ultimately depend on the role of Shield art in Shulk's meta and possibly Smash art but IDK. I like thinking crazy
I always read, but I barely can contribute anything in here anymore... sadly.
It's fine. Don't worry

Don't force yourself to do things. Just do what you want to do :)

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Although I think buster is the best art (imo) and speed is on par with buster for several reasons in terms of utility (only reason why I'm all buster > speed is because of dat damage), I think his viability will ultimately depend on the role of Shield art in Shulk's meta and possibly Smash art but IDK. I like thinking crazy
I do fancy the art shuffeling.
Is anything know about hyper arts reducing the cooldown as well? Because if yes, it would make MALLC even more insane.

I saw a japanese player using MALLC permanently, thereby dodging every attack, winning entire games with bar no damage at all.
Those are some scary thoughts... He just randomly shuffled them, but think if you suddenly shuffle to smash, and kill someone at 70%'s, taking a stock without recieving dmg... unable for your opponent to hurt you.

Those manouvers would require skill beyond my comprehension... I have a hard time even learning MALLC.
Also, roy got amazing random combos. He reminds me just a little bit of luigi even.

Last edited:
I do fancy the art shuffeling.
Is anything know about hyper arts reducing the cooldown as well? Because if yes, it would make MALLC even more insane.

I saw a japanese player using MALLC permanently, there by dodging every attack, winning entire games with bar no damage at all.
Those are some scary thoughts... He just randomly shuffled them, but think if you suddenly shuffle to smash, and kill someone at 70%'s, taking a stock without recieving dmg... unable for your opponent to hurt you.

Those manouvers would require skill beyond my comprehension... I have a hard time even learning MALLC.
Also, roy got amazing random combos. He reminds me just a little bit of luigi even.
Hyper arts doesn't reduces the cooldown

That sounds CRAZY though. Whoa, that's some serious ass skill that player has

MALLC becomes easier over time tbh. You'll soon get the timing the more you do it. Trust me. It becomes really easy to do. You can do it with your eyes closed if you master it

Last edited:

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
I love how everyone was like "OMG Jump is the best thing in the world Buster is meh" like a month ago and now we consider it the best art. I agree, however. The shield push in Buster make Shulk's attacks safer and that's a lot with Shulk terrible framedata. Also, Buster should ALWAYS be the go-to art in an advantage position that's not edgeguarding. Jump and Smash exist for that, Speed for neutral and Shield/Smash for disadvantage. This is also why I think HArts have more potential than DArts for most MU

Neon00

Smash Rookie
I love how everyone was like "OMG Jump is the best thing in the world Buster is meh" like a month ago and now we consider it the best art. I agree, however. The shield push in Buster make Shulk's attacks safer and that's a lot with Shulk terrible framedata. Also, Buster should ALWAYS be the go-to art in an advantage position that's not edgeguarding. Jump and Smash exist for that, Speed for neutral and Shield/Smash for disadvantage. This is also why I think HArts have more potential than DArts for most MU
I personally never thought Jump was that good outside of an aggressive edgeguard. From battles I've been in and times I've messed around with Shulk, I've found Speed to be rather useful for closing gaps and dealing with faster opponents like Sonic. That Buster combined with a solid Smash at kill percents can be brutal though, especially when played with a good Shield at higher percents on Shulk. I've found you can pretty much kill anything with those 3, maybe even replacing Shield with Speed if you're good enough at predicting and dodging.

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
I'm surprised about how people never use shulk's customs in custom tourneys. Is power vision and hyper arts already banned already? I know Evo hasn't banned anything yet except for gw + sheik doubles recently.

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
HArts and DArts are pretty different from normal arts, so that is normally inexperience since no one has really figured out how to use them well (I don't say at full potential because we're far even from MArts full potential). Don't really know about PVision though, since it's a complete upgrade from Vision with no drawbacks in a serious competitive play (no one will spam PVision) and it's simply a counter, it's like the easiest thing to do in the game

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Because Oil Panic + Sheik is cancer? Idk.
Could very well be. Needles don't take that long to release, but I have to wonder just how much damage that would be. Needles aren't exactly a high-power fuel...

I must say, Smash Art edgeguarding against Sheik is wicked fun. One swat and it's pretty much over, even at very low %'s. Certainly helps that Smash helps keep you out of certain combos...

I played a bunch of games with @Nah over on the Robin Social Thread and got some good Shulk practice in against Robin, Falco, and Lucina. Somehow, I learned more in those battles than in all 120 battles I've played on FG. I tried a little bit of Buster edgeguarding, and I have changed my opinion: it is GOOD. Now if only I would learn to do retreating aerials... Which is something I practiced against the CPU with today to that end. Any tips on how to get better at teching? I see that, while I do it sometimes, I ultimately miss about 70% of my techs... which is pretty bad. -_-

Since joining this forum and reading all these debates on the Monado's power, I have at least grown from only using Speed, Buster, and Shield into using all five Arts in their places. From what I've seen, most of the players I knew beforehand wrote off Jump and almost never used it. Now, I find the vertical speed to be a major selling point, plus the deep edgeguarding capability. It clicked when I was in Jump and managed to jump fast enough to get out of the way of Falco's FSmash.

Last edited:

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Could very well be. Needles don't take that long to release, but I have to wonder just how much damage that would be. Needles aren't exactly a high-power fuel...

I must say, Smash Art edgeguarding against Sheik is wicked fun. One swat and it's pretty much over, even at very low %'s. Certainly helps that Smash helps keep you out of certain combos...

I played a bunch of games with @Nah over on the Robin Social Thread and got some good Shulk practice in against Robin, Falco, and Lucina. Somehow, I learned more in those battles than in all 120 battles I've played on FG. I tried a little bit of Buster edgeguarding, and I have changed my opinion: it is GOOD. Now if only I would learn to do retreating aerials... Which is something I practiced against the CPU with today to that end. Any tips on how to get better at teching? I see that, while I do it sometimes, I ultimately miss about 70% of my techs... which is pretty bad. -_-

Since joining this forum and reading all these debates on the Monado's power, I have at least grown from only using Speed, Buster, and Shield into using all five Arts in their places. From what I've seen, most of the players I knew beforehand wrote off Jump and almost never used it. Now, I find the vertical speed to be a major selling point, plus the deep edgeguarding capability. It clicked when I was in Jump and managed to jump fast enough to get out of the way of Falco's FSmash.
:4gaw:absorbs the blast from :4sheik:'s UpB, not the needles. I don't think the needles can be absorbed at all.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
:4gaw:absorbs the blast from :4sheik:'s UpB, not the needles. I don't think the needles can be absorbed at all.
O.O
OK, that sounds very deadly now, somehow.

So I picked up an eShop card today for my 3DS for the first time in months.

*Overloaded with choices*

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
I keep wondering how many times backslash has actually been used in singles. In doubles I find is more easy but its still a pain to land not to mention you get punished for it if you miss.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
O.O
OK, that sounds very deadly now, somehow.

So I picked up an eShop card today for my 3DS for the first time in months.

*Overloaded with choices*
Sorry if I ask too many questions, but I could help you a bit with them: How much? What Smash 4 DLC do you have right now? Will you buy Fire Emblem If/Fates?

Also, how good is Advancing Air Slash?

Last edited:

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
I keep wondering how many times backslash has actually been used in singles. In doubles I find is more easy but its still a pain to land not to mention you get punished for it if you miss.
I use it sometimes

but I suck so

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Sorry if I ask too many questions, but I could help you a bit with them: How much? What Smash 4 DLC do you have right now? Will you buy Fire Emblem If/Fates?

$20
No DLC, since I've mostly been playing only my mains as of late.
I will, but I might wait for the bundle with all three paths.

Haven't had much experience with customs, so I can't say too much about AAS. I personally don't like it, feels harder to space and really only seems to work for me against characters with large horizontal smash distance.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Almost got a triple with up smash during a FFA today.

Don't know if I'll ever that close again, but it cracked me up.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
$20
No DLC, since I've mostly been playing only my mains as of late.
I will, but I might wait for the bundle with all three paths.

Haven't had much experience with customs, so I can't say too much about AAS. I personally don't like it, feels harder to space and really only seems to work for me against characters with large horizontal smash distance.
If you want SSB4 DLC then get them in this order (From most to least relevant): DreamLand 64, Roy, Ryu, Lucas and Mewtwo. And I guess I'll have to wait for more opinions.

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
  • Up-throw to BS. Usually, the opponent will air dodge, possible from Shulk's Up-tilt. It can be a KO method at higher %. This is still my favorite method. :chuckle:
  • Back-throw to BS near the ledge. Usually, the opponent will jump back with their back still facing you. You can even get early KOs like this!
However, at a higher-level play, it is extremely risky to use, so I do not use it.
Theory: I could see this getting KOs a bit earlier, but I'm not a fan of dipping down. Then again...I have ZERO experience using custom Shulk against human players. :urg: I just rely on the contributors on the custom thread.

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
On the topic of Backslash, something interesting...

I don't know if it has to do with the experience of those I fought, but I found a rather interesting niche for BS use: stalling a couple extra frames in the air to dodge and punish certain attacks while attempting to land. On several occasions, I had foes who saw me falling toward the center of the stage, and tried to FSmash/USmash/someTilt/projectile (especially Aura Sphere) as I got to the right height above the floor. At that moment, I saw I was in range to hit with a falling Back Slash, and upon using it, something interesting happened. My fall was slowed by the animation, then made really fast, thus stalling long enough for the attack/projectile to whiff me, and immediately hitting them with the attack as I landed. Certainly very risky, but I wouldn't write it off as having no use...

Top Bottom