• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Shulk Social : Starting to feel it!

I forfeited because I wasn't able to finish or lose on time. I snagged two wins and one loss. It was a relatively small tournament. Guaranteed top 8 or a bit outside that. I went Shulk all the way and had power vision ready. I only snagged one kill with it

Buster and shield. I luv you. Also b-air

I defeated the following in order:

Match 1 (Won 2-1, lost 1 against Villager)
Ebola :4villagerf:, Ebola :rosalina:

Match 2 (Won 2-1, lost 1 against DK)
Ebola :4dk:
**** :4sheik:

I got defeated (although the matches were close) by an ebola :4villagerf: though. Seriously though. **** customs. I also got windboxed by DK in one match (but I managed to win the next match)

I love b-air, buster b-air, grabbing, and camping in shield

If you're wondering how I won the Sheik match, I stayed shield almost all the time so the damage I received didn't mean ****. Also, the combos weren't working at early percentages. I played patiently and intentionally allowed myself to get bodied in shield. He kept f-airing and needling and bouncing fishing. Little did he know that he's staling his attacks while I'm in shield art. I made my durations in buster art brief but I made sure I hit him which I did. I spaced correctly against Sheik, b-air was godlike and b-throws and stuff. I also power vision'd Sheik so yeah.

In friendlies, my :4fox: is on point~

My :4charizard: got 2 stocked :( @Space Stranger I never learn LOL

My next match (which I forfeited) was a customs :4palutena:

So it was a decision between a party full of good food or a customs :4palutena:?

Um.... Isn't that obvious? Food is life.

BYE
Buster to win

Also, I was a bit greedy with the u-smash reads. But it worked so yeah

Anyway **** customs. **** it. I still can't believe I beat that Sheik.

Customs Villager is so cancerous, they were shocked that I wasn't curb stomped by two of them (I beat one of them, the other was close) so they thought I was really good with Shulk or something.

Power vision wasn't that helpful tbh. It got one kill for me but... eh.

OH, Customs DK is dumb. I may have adapted (and beat) customs DK but I still hate that ****. I dropped a match because air bending magic. So **** customs

ajfkasjflsakfksfnlasksaf

Anyway, I'll go to the party soon so yeah

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Ah, it feels great being back in the Shulk social, but I got a problem and I need help from other Shulk's.

Ok so i need help because there's a tournament near me. I need help because I don't think I can win. I do play a really good Shulk but you can't be too good at Smash4. I'm going to the next one to check out my opponents to see what I'm up against, and if I'm still getting help from here I'll record my findings and tell you guys. Anything and everything is highly appreciated, but there are a few things I NEED.

What I need for know are matchups- to see what I need practice.
How to and when to use the Monado arts- just a refresher.
Techs- because there techs.
How to use Shulks moves- I.e stuff like Speed art jump B-Air.
How to snap Diddy Kong's neck- its a joke.

Threads, videos, typing something here, anything is good.

I'm also posting this in Sonic, Robin, Little Mac, and Lucario boards because they are my secondarys.

Thanks in advance-Monado Master.

Ah, it feels great being back in the Shulk social, but I got a problem and I need help from other Shulk's.

Ok so i need help because there's a tournament near me. I need help because I don't think I can win. I do play a really good Shulk but you can't be too good at Smash4. I'm going to the next one to check out my opponents to see what I'm up against, and if I'm still getting help from here I'll record my findings and tell you guys. Anything and everything is highly appreciated, but there are a few things I NEED.

I'm also posting this in Sonic, Robin, Little Mac, and Lucario boards because they are my secondarys.

Well I'm using an iPhone so I'm too lazy to link. We have a match up thread. We also have an active moveset discussion. There's also that meta game thread.

You can find all these in the Shulk boards directory which is highlighted as important

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre

Well, talking about it then.
We have a MU treath for that. Can't say much more than that...

I... don't think you know MALLC? Hard to master, and since the tourney is too soon, maybe rather not trying...
Otherwise, use the monador arts like you feel. You just know that against robins you gotta apply pressure via speed ect.
I remember that while in buster, Grab => Utilt => Utilt => Up+B is an pretty good combo, or b-throw backslash. That are a few things I picked up.
By updating your 3ds to the current Patch. :yeahboi:

Anyways, a Video that helped me a lot was:
He also made an MALLC Guide.

Anyways, that's pretty much all I can give you as an advice for now, without repeating what you'd probably hear anyway.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace

I'd ask if ya wanted to play some matches via WiFi, but it's up to you. When's the tournament?
--
Question: Are you using Vanilla Shulk no customs or are Customs allowed? Details pls

Monado Art refresher:
Monado Art | Increased stats | Decreased stats Jump | Jump height, Air speed, Fall speed, Air Slash height | Damage defense Speed | Ground speed, Air speed, Traction | Damage dealt, Jump height Shield | Damage defense, Weight, Shield health & regeneration | Damage dealt, Jump height, Ground speed, Air speed Buster | Damage dealt on-hit & on-shield, Shield Push dealt | Damage defense, Knockback dealt Smash | Knockback dealt | Damage dealt on-hit & on-shield, Shield Push dealt, Weight
The Metagame Thread has 3 decent OPs kudos to Shulk boards. I'd suggest giving berserker's OP a look about Art usages.

I'll just give some Shield Art advice -- Shield Arts reduce knockback which also means the hitstun you take is also reduced, so use that to your advantage at early percents to punish a player's BnB combo they're normally comfortable with. Not to mention that Shield Art stockpiles Rage very nicely for you & you don't die ofc. When you're launched off-stage to the point you don't think you'll make it back to the stage, DEACTIVATE THE SHIELD ART DURING HITSTUN. I stress this only in case you didn't know Arts can be deactivated while being launched / taking hitstun. Deactivating Shield & cycling to Jump with 4 presses of B button is an easy moment to take charge of in order to make sure you'll recover. Never be unsafe with snapping to the ledge with Air Slash, otherwise players will punish you for it so take care of yourself by snapping to the ledge with the 2nd hit of Air Slash. Make sure to delay the 2nd hit of Air Slash in case you need the extra oomph of horizontal recovery too. Try not to get grabbed in the Shield Art because you're susceptible to them especially when players bait a Short Hop aerial out of you, so think about that & what you'd do. The hitstun reduction remark I made earlier also works greatly with Vision coming out of Frame 7 so use that wisely. Get comfortable with dashing to putting up shield because your bubble shield is a godlike defensive tool capable of shutting down unsafe approaches which then can be answered with OoS Jab combo, Air Slash, etc, but remember what I said earlier about players who bait out your approach / zoning with their opportune dash grab or the like.

Last edited:

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
I'd ask if ya wanted to play some matches via WiFi, but it's up to you. When's the tournament?
--
Question: Are you using Vanilla Shulk no customs or are Customs allowed? Details pls

Monado Art refresher:
Monado Art | Increased stats | Decreased stats Jump | Jump height, Air speed, Fall speed, Air Slash height | Damage defense Speed | Ground speed, Air speed, Traction | Damage dealt, Jump height Shield | Damage defense, Weight, Shield health & regeneration | Damage dealt, Jump height, Ground speed, Air speed Buster | Damage dealt on-hit & on-shield, Shield Push dealt | Damage defense, Knockback dealt Smash | Knockback dealt | Damage dealt on-hit & on-shield, Shield Push dealt, Weight
The Metagame Thread has 3 decent OPs kudos to Shulk boards. I'd suggest giving berserker's OP a look about Art usages.

I'll just give some Shield Art advice -- Shield Arts reduce knockback which also means the hitstun you take is also reduced, so use that to your advantage at early percents to punish a player's BnB combo they're normally comfortable with. Not to mention that Shield Art stockpiles Rage very nicely for you & you don't die ofc. When you're launched off-stage to the point you don't think you'll make it back to the stage, DEACTIVATE THE SHIELD ART DURING HITSTUN. I stress this only in case you didn't know Arts can be deactivated while being launched / taking hitstun. Deactivating Shield & cycling to Jump with 4 presses of B button is an easy moment to take charge of in order to make sure you'll recover. Never be unsafe with snapping to the ledge with Air Slash, otherwise players will punish you for it so take care of yourself by snapping to the ledge with the 2nd hit of Air Slash. Make sure to delay the 2nd hit of Air Slash in case you need the extra oomph of horizontal recovery too. Try not to get grabbed in the Shield Art because you're susceptible to them especially when players bait a Short Hop aerial out of you, so think about that & what you'd do. The hitstun reduction remark I made earlier also works greatly with Vision coming out of Frame 7 so use that wisely. Get comfortable with dashing to putting up shield because your bubble shield is a godlike defensive tool capable of shutting down unsafe approaches which then can be answered with OoS Jab combo, Air Slash, etc, but remember what I said earlier about players who bait out your approach / zoning with their opportune dash grab or the like.
I'm not sure but I think its no customs. And they hold tournaments every Saturday and I think Wednesday.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm not sure but I think its no customs. And they hold tournaments every Saturday and I think Wednesday.
Okay then, so no Decisive Shield + Advancing Air Slash jank then.:( Oh & it's tomorrow? I see. Anyway, if you want to play some matches I'm down for that. Maybe I could help you out on some techs or show some mix-ups / options that may interest you. But again, up to you MM.

If your're down for it, NNID = Masonomace

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Well, Smash bros will soon be 9 Years old even!
uh....
Smash 64 released in 1999
Melee released in 2001
Brawl released in 2008

Smash Bros as a whole is 16 years old, Melee is 14, and Brawl is 7.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
uh....
Smash 64 released in 1999
Melee released in 2001
Brawl released in 2008

Smash Bros as a whole is 16 years old, Melee is 14, and Brawl is 7.
I am very bad at counting then, I though Brawl was released in 2007...
Anyways, you know what I mean!

Last edited:

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
In a potential 20XX where everyone has mastered everything we know right NOW about the game I can see Shulk being in High Tier. Since he's probably one of the (if not the) most in depth character in the game I can see a lot of potential. He is not the best character in the game but maybe he could reach very high spots.
P.S. Also, I don't think we have to be aware of patch because no FG scrub complain about him due to infinite FG player that BS to their death lol

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
In a potential 20XX where everyone has mastered everything we know right NOW about the game I can see Shulk being in High Tier. Since he's probably one of the (if not the) most in depth character in the game I can see a lot of potential. He is not the best character in the game but maybe he could reach very high spots.
P.S. Also, I don't think we have to be aware of patch because no FG scrub complain about him due to infinite FG player that BS to their death lol
If everything is perfected, then Shulk could even be top-tier. His range could make up for the framedata with enough prediction, MALLC gives you invincibility frames, your enemy can't punish you, and you are free to go.
If we are talking about robotic perfection and calculation.
Which would be very badish, since spot-dodges and airdodges would be permanently used, and no one would hit anytime ever...

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Okay then, so no Decisive Shield + Advancing Air Slash jank then.:( Oh & it's tomorrow? I see. Anyway, if you want to play some matches I'm down for that. Maybe I could help you out on some techs or show some mix-ups / options that may interest you. But again, up to you MM.

If your're down for it, NNID = Masonomace
I'm not playing tomorrow.

And I've done quite a few 1v1 for glory matches today and I now understand what my weaknesses are. My weaknesses are getting grabbed, and pressure from fast characters. So does anyone got any help for that?

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
I'm not playing tomorrow.

And I've done quite a few 1v1 for glory matches today and I now understand what my weaknesses are. My weaknesses are getting grabbed, and pressure from fast characters. So does anyone got any help for that?
And I'd be happy to battle you tomorrow so you can show me some tech and stuff like that.

kenniky

Smash Master
NNID
kenniky
3DS FC
1349-7627-3646
Grabbing: space better. Either don't land so close to their shield or land behind them. Jumping and spot dodging are useful but not when the landing lag from nair is enough for a shield grab.

Fast characters: Shulk naturally has a hard time with these. Just... idk, retreat, don't throw out moves so much. Etc.

swordsman09

Smash Journeyman
NNID
swordsman09
Xenoblade is five years now? I think I had the game for 2 and didn't even touch it until I played him in Smash.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I had an interesting experience today...

This afternoon, I got up and saw the ZeRo video (posted somewhere else), and that gave me inspiration to go check out the local, Wisconsin Smash Bros. page to see what's going on for Smash 4. The top post on the page is some person asking, "So who is the best Smash 4 player in Wisconsin?" There were some responses here, and some people looking for games. I decide to post, saying I am pretty good, and tell how I won the small Smash MS tourny. One person agreed to face me, so I posted my NNID. Then, I noticed a comment he made above saying he lived in Cedarburg, a town which is only a 2 minute drive from where I live! We were both kind of amazed at that. He added me on FB so we could talk in conversation. As we were about to open up our rooms and face each other, I got a reply from @Jerm on Skype saying he was ready to do some matches at the time. This was not an opportunity I could miss, so I told the person from Facebook, "Oh crap, I just got a reply from one of the best Shulk players saying he's ready for matches. Jerm." I was expecting him to say something like 'I understand, good luck!' but instead he messages "Wait, you play Shulk too?" So that was pretty fantastic, I learned that there's another Shulk player, and he lives really close in proximity to me!

I faced Jerm for like an hour. I'll be honest, I was pretty nervous. I was throwing out TONS of F-smashes, which is my nervous habit. I also had many SD's. However, I held my own I think. He usually won, but not usually by very much (or if it was, that was normally because I SD'd, lol). I won twice. It was fun, and I now have a pretty clear idea of what I need to do to improve from here on. I'd like to face him again when I'm less nervous and after I've addressed some of those areas.

Afterwards, I go back on Facebook to see if the guy there still wants to do battle. He's up for it, but he needed to tell me something. It turned out that we had met before at an anime convention! He actually went onto my facebook page and saw a picture which was taken with both of us at the anime convention I went to earlier this year. This person from Facebook was the Shulk cosplayer I had a photo taken with. Lmao. What an awesome coincidence. He sent me a picture of a new Monado he crafted, and after we had gathered ourselves, we did glorious Shulk dittos. I may have kicked his butt a tad, but it was still fun for both of us. Things were a lot more even when I decided to switch to my Xenoblade miis. He loved that, since he's actually a huge Xenoblade fan himself too :p.

So yeah, within a few hours I both faced Jerm and, by such thin coincidence, re-ran into this really cool person who is probably going to be a friend from now on.

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Can't wait to see all the power vision shulks in Evo. Twitch chats + reddit forums will implode.

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
Grabbing: space better. Either don't land so close to their shield or land behind them. Jumping and spot dodging are useful but not when the landing lag from nair is enough for a shield grab.

Fast characters: Shulk naturally has a hard time with these. Just... idk, retreat, don't throw out moves so much. Etc.
I tried landing behide them but they still got me.
BTW does Zelda's B-Air do 21% damage?

Monado Master

Smash Journeyman
20% sweetspotted, 4% sourspotted. Same with her fair
Jeez that ridiculous.
And I'm having trouble finding the match ups against Shulk. So I guess I'll ask here for now.
Characters I need to know the MUs and tips to defeating are.
Diddy Kong.
Sheik.
Zelda. (These 3 losses in a row are violating my soul).
Sonic.
Captain Falcon.
Ganondorf. (Also destoring my soul).
And any other commonly played characters.

Thanks in advance MONADO MASTER.

Last edited:

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Jeez that ridiculous.
And I'm having trouble finding the match ups against Shulk. So I guess I'll ask here for now.
Characters I need to know the MUs and tips to defeating are.
Diddy Kong.
Sheik.
Zelda. (These 3 losses in a row are violating my soul).
Sonic.
Captain Falcon.
Ganondorf. (Also destoring my soul).
And any other commonly played characters.

Thanks-MM.
Here's the threads for those matchups:
http://smashboards.com/threads/diddy-kong-match-up-thread.384073/
http://smashboards.com/threads/sheik-match-up-thread-the-better-zelda.388216/
http://smashboards.com/threads/zelda-match-up-thread-the-sassier-zelda.401185/
http://smashboards.com/threads/sonic-match-up-thread-heropon-run-from-nothing.385624/
http://smashboards.com/threads/captain-falcon-match-up-thread-show-me-yo-feels.394178/
Don't think there's one for Ganon

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Just for your sake, let's wait for an official announcement

Even though I'm already sucked into the hype storm
I'd say that's pretty damn close to an official announcement. So, basically, **** it.
:disco: HYPE!!

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
HYPE, OH GOD.
Nintendo, please... just please give me Roy with a little bit different moveset than Marth... please...
Let his down b atleast some sort of ike's neutral b...
I just don't wanna have another marth >.<

Last edited:
Top Bottom