• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk custom moveset discussion 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonadBro

Smash Rookie
Critical sets

Preferential sets

Niche
1122 -> 2313 (1123 is already covered)

I haven't seejn any shulks use this, and iu haven't even heard any suggest it before you. 2113 already exists, and the Shulks here have agreed to not make a whole full new set for the sole purpose of having Backslash variants present.
By not including the variant I mentioned you are eliminating a whole playstyle that is very viable, again this board does not represent the whole Shulk demographic , we need to accommodate as many playstyles as we can, and by not including this variant you are eliminating me and many other Shulk players who don't use Smashboards.

This is coming from extensive tourney experience.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
Critical sets

Preferential sets

Niche

By not including the variant I mentioned you are eliminating a whole playstyle that is very viable, again this board does not represent the whole Shulk demographic , we need to accommodate as many playstyles as we can, and by not including this variant you are eliminating me and many other Shulk players who don't use Smashboards.

A backslash custom doesnt make or break a set. Its not even a playstyle as you say.

Read page 4 and onwards of this thread.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
1123 is hugely different from 1122. 1123 is a relatively standard AAS set using the most common counter option, and 1122 loses all of the huge counter strength and replaces it with a zone-breaking option. consideering how big Shulk's counter is to his game, this makes these two sets hugely different and hardly comparable.

You have yet to prove that the style used with this set is viable, or even shown me proof that Shulks actually use it. 2113 is almost identical to 2313, as Backslash is a very lackluster move that should not be used more than two or three times in a match. Saying that not including your set "eliminates a play style" is a big statement, and a relatively unfounded one.

Do you have proof of this? Vods? Videos?

MonadBro

Smash Rookie
1123 is hugely different from 1122. 1123 is a relatively standard AAS set using the most common counter option, and 1122 loses all of the huge counter strength and replaces it with a zone-breaking option. consideering how big Shulk's counter is to his game, this makes these two sets hugely different and hardly comparable.

You have yet to prove that the style used with this set is viable, or even shown me proof that Shulks actually use it. 2113 is almost identical to 2313, as Backslash is a very lackluster move that should not be used more than two or three times in a match. Saying that not including your set "eliminates a play style" is a big statement, and a relatively unfounded one.

Do you have proof of this? Vods? Videos?
I am not trying to start an arguement please do not, we are trying to compose sets that accomadate as many playstyles as we can. So far only 2-3 people have argued that it isn't a playstyle when it certainly is, I've argued why it is but you still haven't specifically addressed my points of it being a surprise mix up option that does indeed catches people off guard. I do have a VOD I will upload it to youtube right now. Let us talk in a civilized manner, please let's not fight and argue.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I am not trying to start an arguement please do not, we are trying to compose sets that accomadate as many playstyles as we can. So far only 2-3 people have argued that it isn't a playstyle when it certainly is, I've argued why it is but you still haven't specifically addressed my points of it being a surprise mix up option that does indeed catches people off guard. I do have a VOD I will upload it to youtube right now. Let us talk in a civilized manner, please let's not fight and argue.
Even if back-slash charge was an integral part of a playstyle, by including 2313 over 1122 you are now removing the zone breaking sets that people with preference for default monado arts can use for a backslash specific set that only people who use decisive can use. Decisive arts are going to be the least popular arts especially among high level play. Now take that entire group of people and make it smaller by the few who want to use back slash charge (a variation on a bad move that is not going to see much use) and it's very niche. Compared to the large amount of default art users who want a set to deal with zoners, some of Shulk's most difficult match-ups, it's really not even close to be worth considering. If we had to include any set with back-slash charge it'd use default arts as that's what most people are going to prefer now.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
Even if back-slash charge was an integral part of a playstyle, by including 2313 over 1122 you are now removing the zone breaking sets that people with preference for default monado arts can use for a backslash specific set that only people who use decisive can use. Decisive arts are going to be the least popular arts especially among high level play. Now take that entire group of people and make it smaller by the few who want to use back slash charge (a variation on a bad move that is not going to see much use) and it's very niche. Compared to the large amount of default art users who want a set to deal with zoners, some of Shulk's most difficult match-ups, it's really not even close to be worth considering. If we had to include any set with back-slash charge it'd use default arts as that's what most people are going to prefer now.
Not related to the backslash debate.....but decisivw are the best arts. Time will show you. The increase in buff and not in debuff its a huge deal, unlike hyper that also rises the debuff or regular whose bufffs are not enough for shulk to shine.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Not related to the backslash debate.....but decisivw are the best arts. Time will show you. The increase in buff and not in debuff its a huge deal, unlike hyper that also rises the debuff or regular whose bufffs are not enough for shulk to shine.
Decisive are are far from the best. They remove the most integral part of Shulk's playstyle. The lack of ability to adapt to the match is a blatant downgrade.
But, that's a discussion for later, what's important now is backslashes.

1.I'm not trying to start an arguement, i have been civilly addressing your claims and stating why they do not work with what this thread has built.
2.I don't remember you claiming it to be a mixup option, but even so it is very lackluster. It can be used as a mixup possibly once or twice in a match, for a very pitiful damage hit and almost no knock back.
3.Ask any Shulk that has posted in this thread, I can guarantee you that they will agree that it does not change Shulk's playstyle nearly as much as any other of his customs, making a whole set for it essentially a waste.
4.I am interested to see this VOD, however even with this, how many other shulks do you know that need to have this set or else they will not be able to play effectively?
5.Again, I am not arguing or fighting, I am trying to tell you why your points dont work with the system built.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
If a notable Shulk starts winning with decisive arts then I'll start to consider it a good move, but until then I think it lacks compared to the great adaptability, mind games, and momentum shifting that default and hyper arts bring. Plus it's harder to MALLC with decisive which is a great tool for Shulk.

How so? Is it the poor low edgeguarding (especially while in Monado Speed)? Is it that AAS is worse at Monado Jump recovery than the others? Otherwise, AAS is the best for decisive arts.
Personal gripes, doesn't complement my playstyle, etc.

But like I said, you guys do what you think is best for Shulk

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
We should decide what 2 sets are supposed to be the "optional" sets. This won't matter much for major tournaments that will use all 10, but for tournaments that allow upload it'd be nice to make sure the best 8 are there. Now it seems obvious to put the 2 niche sets, but I think that's a poor idea because it's more likely that a person would want to switch to a niche set for a matchup rather than another preferential set. Now personally I'd put 2133 and 1213, but I fear that wouldn't go over well with the rest of you, so I'd say 1213 and 3213 are the best candidates.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
We should decide what 2 sets are supposed to be the "optional" sets. This won't matter much for major tournaments that will use all 10, but for tournaments that allow upload it'd be nice to make sure the best 8 are there. Now it seems obvious to put the 2 niche sets, but I think that's a poor idea because it's more likely that a person would want to switch to a niche set for a matchup rather than another preferential set. Now personally I'd put 2133 and 1213, but I fear that wouldn't go over well with the rest of you, so I'd say 1213 and 3213 are the best candidates.
Sounds fine, even though I too would go with 1213&2133.
Critical sets

Preferential sets
1213 - min priority
2133-min?
3123-min?

Niche

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
For the 8 sets, I would get rid of 1213 for sure, because we have 1113. I would get rid of 2133, because we already have 2113, and there's not too much reason to use MAS over AS. However, I would also be fine with getting rid of 3213, since we already have 3113. Or maybe we could get rid of 3113 instead and use 3213 in its place.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
For the 8 sets, I would get rid of 1213 for sure, because we have 1113. I would get rid of 2133, because we already have 2113, and there's not too much reason to use MAS over AS. However, I would also be fine with getting rid of 3213, since we already have 3113. Or maybe we could get rid of 3113 instead and use 3213 in its place.
I think 2133 would be the best option, as MAS is not a good thing for shulk to have due to it giving him poor OoS options, but 3213 maybe. I don't think it should be 3113 since it's a critical and the most basic option.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Just reccomended this list to AA for the rough draft.
Critical sets

Preferential sets
1213 - min priority
2133-min?
3123-min?

Niche

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Critical sets

Preferential sets

Niche

Optional

Last edited:

MonadBro

Smash Rookie
Decisive are are far from the best. They remove the most integral part of Shulk's playstyle. The lack of ability to adapt to the match is a blatant downgrade.
But, that's a discussion for later, what's important now is backslashes.

1.I'm not trying to start an arguement, i have been civilly addressing your claims and stating why they do not work with what this thread has built.
2.I don't remember you claiming it to be a mixup option, but even so it is very lackluster. It can be used as a mixup possibly once or twice in a match, for a very pitiful damage hit and almost no knock back.
3.Ask any Shulk that has posted in this thread, I can guarantee you that they will agree that it does not change Shulk's playstyle nearly as much as any other of his customs, making a whole set for it essentially a waste.
4.I am interested to see this VOD, however even with this, how many other shulks do you know that need to have this set or else they will not be able to play effectively?
5.Again, I am not arguing or fighting, I am trying to tell you why your points dont work with the system built.
@ Splash Damage Splash Damage
@ Piford Piford
@ Berserker. Berserker.
@ Goesasu Goesasu

Here is the VOD uploaded on youtube , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQbs4Y14yVc&t=808
please start at 13:30 if the url doesn't take you there directly. Honestly, I'm so happy everyone here is having a civilized discussion but please don't disregard my suggestion without looking further into it. You can see me use my name as MonadBro but my actual game tag is Falafel. Please look into how I use it as a mix up and recovery and let me know how you feel about 2313 after it. Thanks everyone.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
@ Splash Damage Splash Damage
@ Piford Piford
@ Berserker. Berserker.
@ Goesasu Goesasu

Here is the VOD uploaded on youtube , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQbs4Y14yVc&t=808
please start at 13:30 if the url doesn't take you there directly. Honestly, I'm so happy everyone here is having a civilized discussion but please don't disregard my suggestion without looking further into it. You can see me use my name as MonadBro but my actual game tag is Falafel. Please look into how I use it as a mix up and recovery and let me know how you feel about 2313 after it. Thanks everyone.
Yes the move has uses, but it still doesn't warrant use over any other we have included. At 17:50 you showed how the move wasn't strong enough to kill, and you couldn't follow up with the edge guard because you were stuck in shield because of decisive arts.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
I have made a ^new^ discovery that truly justifies 2123.

I still believe that 2133 is the best set for decesive monado art because of decisive speed air acceleration, but now i think that 2123 is a close second and this is why. decisive shield.

After a regular art expires you have to wait 10 seconds of cooldown to use it again, well after a decisive art expires you only have to wait just 5 seconds. This means that after you get to 100% or over you can almost play in decisive shield until you die. Now recall all our discussion, AAS is the best recovery for decisive shield therefore the best candidate for this.

While MAS is better for decisive speed, AAS is better for decisive shield and you can stay in those modes all you want just waiting 5 seconds between reactivations.

This playstyle must be represented over the second niche set that its wasting set space like no other.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda

I still believe that 2133 is the best set for decesive monado art because of decisive speed air acceleration, but now i think that 2123 is a close second and this is why. decisive shield.

After a regular art expires you have to wait 10 seconds of cooldown to use it again, well after a decisive art expires you only have to wait just 5 seconds. This means that after you get to 100% or over you can almost play in decisive shield until you die. Now recall all our discussion, AAS is the best recovery for decisive shield therefore the best candidate for this.

While MAS is better for decisive speed, AAS is better for decisive shield and you can stay in those modes all you want just waiting 5 seconds between reactivations.

This playstyle must be represented over the second niche set that its wasting set space like no other.
Remember this
I wanted something concrete for Shulk's various recovery options. This should be pretty useful in general.

The lower the angle in this chart, the better the recovery.

Form of recovery| Monado Jump's fall angle | Monado Speed's angle | Vanilla's angle
Just drifting|42°|40°|49.6°
Drift with an air jump|18°|25.4°|35.9°
Drift with Air Slash | 16.7° | 16.7° |34°
Drift with Advancing Air Slash |21.8°| 16.7° | 29.9 °
Drift with Mighty Air Slash | 16.7° |18°|35°
Drift, air jump, and Air Slash | –14° | |11.3°
Drift, air jump, and Advancing Air Slash |–8.5°| | 5.7 °
Drift, air jump, and Mighty Air Slash | –14° |2.9°|15.4°

Using the platforms on the right in combination with the platforms on the left, I was able to find the absolute minimum height you could be on the right side to end up at a specified platform on the right side. Which one I went for on the left side did not matter, as all I needed was the vertical distance traveled between the constant horizontal distance. The horizontal was actually 41, but since you can grab the edge from afar, I estimated that a more realistic figure was 40. It doesn't change the values much, but is worth bringing up.

So the math behind this is find the difference between the number on the left and the number on the right. That is the total distance of the height. Divide that by 40 to get the slope. Then, take the inverse tangent of that value to get the degree of incline.

If you want to be technical, since Shulk is headed down and to the left rather than up to the right, the angle is actually 180° + whatever is in the table. Eh. Whatever.

Summary of the table:
1) Air Slash and Mighty Air Slash are tied for the lowest angles, each while in monado jump. AAS falls somewhat behind here, but not by very much.
2) Air Slash and Advancing Air Slash are tied for the lowest Monado Speed angles. Mighty Air Slash is now the worst, but not by too much.
3) Advancing Air Slash is the best up B for Vanilla, Buster, and Smash, which do not change air movements.

Notes:
Here's some geometry:

-To put this all into perspective, one square in stage builder is almost exactly equal to 1/4 of Shulk's body.

-The stage weight filled up, so I had to spread out the bottom right of the stage.

-These are the maximum recovery points regardless of stage, due to how the average fall angles will be constant.

-I especially made sure to completely max out the amount of spacing that can be placed between the moves. This always helps. It is especially necessary not to spam up B if using AAS, as it will get rid of a lot of your vertical height when you start the second slash.

-Out of all of these, AAS was the easiest to maximize. Since the air speed is not hurt at all after use. AS and MAS you must make sure to use at the exact right moment for the maximum recovery, an issue AAS does not need to worry about. The only thing AAS needs to worry about is being low enough to hit off any edge defenders.

-In each case, I rolled to the opposite edge of the soft platform and ran off the edge.

- Advancing Air Slash is definitely the best up B for Monado Shield. It is the only custom which could achieve a value using this map, so I decided not to include it. It has an angle of 40.4°, which seems bad at first, but is hugely better than the other two arts, and is decent considering that monado shield will not be sent far at all.

- If you're merely drifting for distance and do not care that Jump goes faster, then speed is for you!

- Using normal AS after drifting without a jump is the same for both Monado Speed and Monado Jump. Have you been gimped and are in monado speed? Don't switch out into Monado Jump. You will get the same height in either one. Actually, the letting go of the joystick to press B to try to get to Jump is what might kill you.

-------------------

How can this be applied to the custom moveset project?

-MAS does not have as good of recovery as we think. It is tied with AS while in monado jump, but then only proceeds to get worse and worse. Given its lesser attack range and being more susceptible to ledge guarding, what really is the use of this custom?

-AS is tied both for the best Jump recovery and the best Speed recovery. It's probably a better option to MAS.

-AAS is tied for Monado Speed. It still has a solid Monado Jump recovery, which is still much better than Speed if there is an air jump available. If purely looking at recovery, the advantage of AAS is it allows you to not have to switch out of Buster, Smash, and especially Shield as often. You are more likely to be able to stay in the art you want, and can save Monado Jump (or Monado Speed) for something else.
Where he tried to show you that Advancing Air Slash was a better recovery, but you refused to listen. Saying how MAS has the best recovery when it doesn't.

2133 and 2123 shouldn't both be using space as they are not different play styles. If 2133 is better with speed and 2123 is better with shield than your problem isn't not having both sets it's not being able to switch air slashes mid match. This is further showing the problems evident with Decisive monado arts as you can't switch to jump off stage. If you want 2123 over 2133 than by all means switch them if its better, but both sets do not deserve a spot on the list (I'm hardly convinced a second decisive set deserves a spot at all, but since people want it it should be there).

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
Remember this

Where he tried to show you that Advancing Air Slash was a better recovery, but you refused to listen. Saying how MAS has the best recovery when it doesn't.

2133 and 2123 shouldn't both be using space as they are not different play styles. If 2133 is better with speed and 2123 is better with shield than your problem isn't not having both sets it's not being able to switch air slashes mid match. This is further showing the problems evident with Decisive monado arts as you can't switch to jump off stage. If you want 2123 over 2133 than by all means switch them if its better, but both sets do not deserve a spot on the list (I'm hardly convinced a second decisive set deserves a spot at all, but since people want it it should be there).
This new finding does ring a bell with that chart. Having to wait just 5 seconds to reactive decisive shield its too good to pass up and AAS its the best for that, solving the recovery issue from another angle.

if we are only going to have two decisive sets and one is set in stone for being critical (2113) then i accept. Please replace 2133 with 2123. This will allow decisive shield shulk to live longer and just for that its better, even if its worse while in decisive speed.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
This new finding does ring a bell with that chart. Having to wait just 5 seconds to reactive decisive shield its too good to pass up and AAS its the best for that, solving the recovery issue from another angle.

if we are only going to have two decisive sets and one is set in stone for being critical (2113) then i accept. Please replace 2133 with 2123. This will allow decisive shield shulk to live longer and just for that its better, even if its worse while in decisive speed.
So This
Critical sets

Preferential sets

Niche

Optional

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
(Sup guys I'm back home today after leaving from Naka-Kon. . .which means I'm late on a lot of what I'm quoting.)
Nobody has given true reasons to include leap bs outside of hyper monado arts on battlefield, and even that its streching it. Those sets are no game changing and therefore a waste of a set.
I gave decent reasoning that BSL is fine on more than several stages that have a platform of any kind high enough for sweet-spotting it. Although my discussion about it wasn't that convincing, writing off BSL to be nothing more than a one-trick pony on BF with HBuster is not a decent finishing statement.

A sweet-spotted BSL with any Buster Art deals high shield-damage on block, & when Shulk lands just near the very end of any platform while dealing stronger shield-stun causes Shulk to physically slide backwards off of the platform, making the move "safer".

Additionally, placing a well-positioned BSL to land near the end of the moving platform on Smashville while it's moving away so that we physically slide off of the platform to be airborne makes us absolutely safe because they take too much shield-stun to act out of shield quickly enough to punish Shulk no matter how high their traction is (Examples: Lucario or [D or H]Speed Shulk).

BSC's design confuses me. The giant leap makes it kind of hard to land properly, and then it has the worst reward of the three for actually landing it, and then it ALSO (I think) has the highest end lag of the three. It'd make more sense if either A) it was the STRONGEST one or B) it had the LEAST lag of the three. Maybe if a dude was walling you with back airs? DK? One of the Mario Bros.? I dunno. I don't like it.
BSC's design is awkward but the confusion can be alleviated with some reasoning:
  1. The giant leap can land properly by either:
    a. Changing directions in the move's mid-air start-up animation by B-Reversing or WaveBouncing it
    b. Pivoting it. Example: when you're already in close range & try reading where you think the opponent's position will be, dash away & pivot it with a Speed Art (or not) & utilize the traction increase to reduce the slide distance to not over-extend Shulk
Other that that, BSC's endlag is indeed the highest of the three. And the said character using a B-air in order to zone the ledge area by walling is definitely prone to be BSC'd & would reward the factor that BSC can be for: trade taking damage for dealing damage & living.

BSC on its own is meh, but combine it with a Shield Art & Shulk can recover back to the stage with more confidence since:
a) you take reduced damage so that the damage trading is less suffering
b) the reduced damage you deal doesn't really affect BSC's already weak damage by too much

At this point we know what Speed Buster & Smash Arts do when activated using BSC, so I don't need to say it.
the super armor is actually inconsistent. I've been hit out of BSC at some points
How is it inconsistent? The Super armor ends the moment you see the fuchsia-ish color streak starting to appear from the Monado swung in the charge sequence. I'm curious of your experiences with the inconsistency along with others on this board.
5 seconds as DArts' cooldown for an Art was known of (or at least several of Shulk mains knew of), but it's not included in the OP. But yeah this is quite nice to reflect on since we had past discussions of DShield + AAS.

@ Berserker. Berserker. We should add more numerical info about the Custom Specials such as that and stuff.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

I do believe I just said that about Shield earlier today.
-Elaborating on Monado Shield + AAS, the opponent has a really hard time killing you. You can be hit very far, near off camera, and still recovery without a jump while in Monado Shield. Given decisive shield's lower knockback taken and how you only need to be off of Monado Shield for a few seconds before it comes back up, you can live to ridiculously high percents.
I don't get what you see wrong about the good air acceleration. It makes the move very safe. It is true you must be aware of this acceleration so that you don't accidentally miss the edge when falling back on it for safety.
--
I'm still not convinced either way about any of the back slash customs.

MonadBro

Smash Rookie
Why hasn't anyway addressed the VOD I uploaded that supports 2313

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Why hasn't anyway addressed the VOD I uploaded that supports 2313
I did before but I'll say it again, the point you mentioned in the video showcased how backslash charge is too weak to kill how you couldn't secure the edgegaurd because you were stuck in decisive shield.

Backslash charge has it's uses, but it's not worth giving it a set over the other sets we have, especially when put with decisive monado arts.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
So This
Critical sets

Preferential sets

Niche

Optional
So we r set, right?

BTW Why the optional bracket? they should go along the preferential set too.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
So we r set, right?

BTW Why the optional bracket? they should go along the preferential set too.
Optional is for tournaments allowing for custom set uploads (usually local tournaments). Most majors will have the optional sets there and not allow for upload (like EVO). If you are going to a tournament that doesn't have the optional ones, either bring a 3DS with your sets or contact a TO to make sure your set is uploaded.

Goesasu

Smash Journeyman
Already did since minutes or hours ago man
Sorry to bother but theres have been a change in 2133, now it should be 2123 as discussed in this page.
Since the cooldown to reactivate Darts its just 5 seconds, the optimal recovery is the one that helps more on Dshield and not Dspeed anymore. Therefore, AAS its better than MAS on decisive arts just for this.

Sorry to bother but theres have been a change in 2133, now it should be 2123 as discussed in this page.
Since the cooldown to reactivate Darts its just 5 seconds, the optimal recovery is the one that helps more on Dshield and not Dspeed anymore. Therefore, AAS its better than MAS on decisive arts just for this.
Alright, I'll update the list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom