• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Unfortunately, Chrome can't translate text in an image.

I took some images that are here and ran them through optical character recognition and then took the resulting text into Google Translate.

As was probably guessed, it's just an ad for the Whobby fair written in-character from Captain Toad.
I know that it can't translate an image, it was supposed to be a joke :/

But other than that it's good that we can tell what it says.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Captain Toad wishing to join the fight...? Released by...Nintendo?

My brain is confused...accept or decline? Accept or decline...? I want the hype, but the hype may just let me down...again...

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Oh wow! This is fun news!! I'd be lying if I said my hype didn't go through the roof... But I am trying to be reasonable and not get my hopes up TOO much, but that is one heck of a tease!

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't think they have the DLC characters chosen yet, and I don't think Captain Toad will be playable outright. So, I don't think this is a hint at all.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
They could reasonably have decided on at least a couple of DLC characters. They likely had the main roster decided for months now, so while they are working on tweaking and balancing, it's reasonable to suspect that they have put some work into planning their DLC lineup.

I certainly hope Captain Toad is at least DLC, as long as he is in fact "THE Toad." I'm a fan of Toad the character, not necessarily the species. I prefer calling the species "the mushroom people," since that's what I grew up on.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I've been swamped at work so I don't really have much time to translate it. I'll be off Smashboards for a while as there's a Super Typhoon coming to Japan tomorrow/Thursday so Ill hopefully be riding out the storm. My area will take the first blow from the storm.

@--- or @Frostwraith might be able to do it.
Stay safe Venus!!!

In regards to this ad. It definently means something. I really didn't see the Captain as an on disc character, so maybe this is hinting towards something in the near future. Most likely DLC. To the one that said that they would not be thinking of DLC right now, they most certainly are. That's how most games develop there DLC is right before the title goes golden for release. Right now in Japan they are most likely rounding up the "best of the rest" to be featured for DLC. Most likely not big names, but characters who can promote the release for new titles coming out this holiday into next year (Captain Toad for Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, for example).

This is great seeing our little Captain Toad thread have something to talk about!

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Stay safe Venus!!!

In regards to this ad. It definently means something. I really didn't see the Captain as an on disc character, so maybe this is hinting towards something in the near future. Most likely DLC. To the one that said that they would not be thinking of DLC right now, they most certainly are. That's how most games develop there DLC is right before the title goes golden for release. Right now in Japan they are most likely rounding up the "best of the rest" to be featured for DLC. Most likely not big names, but characters who can promote the release for new titles coming out this holiday into next year (Captain Toad for Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, for example).

This is great seeing our little Captain Toad thread have something to talk about!
Yes, it was so awfully lonely with nothing to talk about besides, "Duur...amiiiiiibeerrss=cpt. turd is playable."

But that was actually a really intelligent discussion, I do wonder what they mean for him :/

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Man... it is not easy to be a Toad fan... Sakurai and Nintendo are always giving us more straws to grasp... only for Sakurai to pull a dirty trick on us.

1. Peach's moves may be "refreshed" by the time the games are finished
2. The "four people?" comment in the Super Mario 3D World Pic of the Day
3. Five Mario characters confirmed before it was even 2014
4. The Alfonzo thing could be applied to Toad by replacing him with Toadsworth
5. Sakurai constantly reminding us that the pics and videos we have seen so far may be changed in the final product
6. Captain Toad gets an amiibo figurine for his own game and those figurines are compatible with SSB4
7. Captain Toad could be DLC because he said he wishes to fight

I really wish that Toad is playable... and that he has Captain Toad alternate costume too. Sometimes I don't know who has it worse, Ridley or Toad.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Man... it is not easy to be a Toad fan... Sakurai and Nintendo are always giving us more straws to grasp... only for Sakurai to pull a dirty trick on us.

5. Sakurai constantly reminding us that the pics and videos we have seen so far may be changed in the final product
6. Captain Toad gets an amiibo figurine for his own game and those figurines are compatible with SSB4

I really wish that Toad is playable... and that he has Captain Toad alternate costume too. Sometimes I don't know who has it worse, Ridley or Toad.
AND THEY ARE MY TWO BIGGEST REQUESTS

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I shroom under the stars all day *****

*BLUSHING INTENSIFIES*
I just realized I'm not on the supporters list. @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad add me please!
Wha? That's kind of crazy. I'll add you right away.

------------------

Everyone try to keep a cool head.
It's exciting news, but it's quite possibly not the news we're hoping for.

Please do not rush to other threads and state 'Captain Toad confirmed' at this point.

Seeing this written out just reminded me of the crapheap year we had as Brigade members.

As for who had it worse?
Both characters have been put through the ringer for at least two games now as a NPC in Smash despite overall being fairly important individuals to their respected franchises. I'd say it's about equal.

For fanbases though...;
Whilst I feel sympathy for the Ridley fans FAR more than any other character's fanbase, the answer is obvious:

We had it worse.
At least the Ridley fanbase was big(ha) enough an influence on Smashboards to not get ripped into. I mostly saw sympathy for his fans whilst we were just chew toys as the first major group of 'deconfirmed' characters.

But yes, I'm sure both fanbases are at this point sick of their character's NPC status.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779

*BLUSHING INTENSIFIES*

Wha? That's kind of crazy. I'll add you right away.

------------------

Everyone try to keep a cool head.
It's exciting news, but it's quite possibly not the news we're hoping for.

Please do not rush to other threads and state 'Captain Toad confirmed' at this point.

Seeing this written out just reminded me of the crapheap year we had as Brigade members.

As for who had it worse?
Both characters have been put through the ringer for at least two games now as a NPC in Smash despite overall being fairly important individuals to their respected franchises. I'd say it's about equal.

For fanbases though...;
Whilst I feel sympathy for the Ridley fans FAR more than any other character's fanbase, the answer is obvious:

We had it worse.
At least the Ridley fanbase was big(ha) enough an influence on Smashboards to not get ripped into. I mostly saw sympathy for his fans whilst we were just chew toys as the first major group of 'deconfirmed' characters.

But yes, I'm sure both fanbases are at this point sick of their character's NPC status.
Ridley fans do have one thing us brigadiers don't usually face.... Haters.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ridley fans do have one thing us brigadiers don't usually face.... Haters.
Ah that is true. I forgot whilst undeniably popular on Smashboards(for the most part) other places like Miiverse seem to jump on his supporters.

I forgot to take that into account.

Although I do remember about fifteen pages of the original Toad thread being used to debate with people ripping into us, at least eight with the same guy. We get em on Smashboards and GameFAQs still.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
We had it worse.

Are you sure about that? :p I see Ridley get torn to shreds everywhere, I rarely see people complain about Toad other than the fact that he looks just like every other Toad.

Which is part of the reason I supported Captain Toad; he actually looks distinctly different from your average Toad (my guess its the same "Toad" character from past games) so it'd be a great way to differentiate him. I think if Captain Toad is in the game he'd be DLC, but either way he'd be a better addition now than before he became known as Captain Toad. ^^

Oh, :4greninja:'d.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
"Captain Toad is wishing that he could join the battle!"

I DO TOO MY FRIEND. I DO TOO

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Supporters list has been updated(currently 53 members); included a link to Rasumii's post in the OP as well as past hints towards Captain Toad's inclusion from Arcadenik.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I greatly support Captain Toad. I was considering adding him to my signature, but I don't know whether I should put him in order of Toad's first appearance or Captain Toad's first appearance.

It seems to be believed that Captain Toad basically is Toad, so should I put him near the left side then?

jigglover

Smash Lord
Automatic deconfirm. If he was playable, he would know by now. :troll:
I know that you were joking but actually I was going to bring that up as a very valid point. The word choice there strikes me as odd. "Wishing"?
wish
[wish] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
to want; desire; long for (usually followed by an infinitive or a clause): I wish to travel. I wish that itwere morning.
to desire (a person or thing) to be (as specified): to wish the problem settled.
to entertain wishes, favorably or otherwise, for: to wish someone well; to wish someone ill.
to bid, as in greeting or leave-taking: to wish someone a good morning.
to request or charge: I wish him to come.

Wish is very much something you use if you want something which is difficult, impossible or unlikely to get or achieve. It makes it seem like much more of a comedy thing to me than a true hint. This is wishing as opposed to:

verb (used with object), hoped, hop·ing.
to look forward to with desire and reasonable confidence.
to believe, desire, or trust: I hope that my work will be satisfactory.

Hoping. This would have been a much better word if it was a true hint for Captain Toad to get into Smash Bros., because it shows he actually has confidence in his chances.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I greatly support Captain Toad. I was considering adding him to my signature, but I don't know whether I should put him in order of Toad's first appearance or Captain Toad's first appearance.

It seems to be believed that Captain Toad basically is Toad, so should I put him near the left side then?
A tricky one. Personally I would, but if you want to err on the side of caution maybe start from his Mario Galaxy appearance? Arguably he first appeared in Mario Sunshine with the other Brigade members, but the first appearance of the headlamp was in Galaxy...soooo...err...

...yeah that didn't help at all did it? It may of even made it worse.

I'll add you to the support list regardless though!

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I actually see a lot of hate for Toad..."He's too annoying! He has no moveset/ too OP! Every other Toad looks like Toad! Captain can't jump!"

And you know who these people support?

WAAAAAAAAAAALUUIIIGGGII

HAI I'M DAISY

-.-

As for Captain Toad being Toad, take my advice (or not, since I suck at it hehe): Toad's alter ego is Captain Toad. You know why he gives all those Green Stars? So he can throw Mario off his trail of Power Stars! It's genius; Mario would never think of Captain holding anything back from him, but little does he know!

This is what my mind comes up with when I'm tired.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I actually see a lot of hate for Toad..."He's too annoying! He has no moveset/ too OP! Every other Toad looks like Toad! Captain can't jump!"

And you know who these people support?

WAAAAAAAAAAALUUIIIGGGII

HAI I'M DAISY

-.-
Toad is a far better Mario pick than either of those two because he actually does things in the main game. If Waluigi were to actually DO something in a main game instead of being COMPLETELY spinoff exclusive, sure, I'd be willing to take him. But Toad actually does things all the time, and for the first time ever is even getting his own game. So yes, I'd argue that Toad has far more importance than both. At LEAST Daisy appeared in one game (even though it was only just one).

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
A tricky one. Personally I would, but if you want to err on the side of caution maybe start from his Mario Galaxy appearance? Arguably he first appeared in Mario Sunshine with the other Brigade members, but the first appearance of the headlamp was in Galaxy...soooo...err...

...yeah that didn't help at all did it? It may of even made it worse.

I'll add you to the support list regardless though!
Not necessarily, I mean it kinda opened my eyes to another possibility. But I think I'll just go ahead and move it to the first Toad's appearance. Since he is a Toad and would pretty much represent all toads. Besides it lets Lip be in the center and I like that because we have the same birthdate. but that is a whole separate and related discussion
WAAAAAAAAAAALUUIIIGGGII
-.-
iactuallylovewaluigiandwanthiminsmashverybadlysocoughcough

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Sorry Ariand, I should say those people diss Toad for having no relevance to Mario whatsoever and they go and yelp that Waluigi and Daisy, who are now clearly spin-off characters, are more important than Toad. Didn't mean to diss Waluigi himself; though he's not my favorite, I'd rather him than Red Pinkish Bluish Kinda Green Somewhat Gold Mario or...Bowser Jr...

Maybe you should see Doctor Mario about that cough.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I also forgot one more thing for the list above...

8. Peach wasn't playable in Smash Invitational at E3 2014 (why? is she not ready for the demo because they are still "refreshing" her moves?)

I know that you were joking but actually I was going to bring that up as a very valid point. The word choice there strikes me as odd. "Wishing"?
wish
[wish] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
to want; desire; long for (usually followed by an infinitive or a clause): I wish to travel. I wish that itwere morning.
to desire (a person or thing) to be (as specified): to wish the problem settled.
to entertain wishes, favorably or otherwise, for: to wish someone well; to wish someone ill.

Wish is very much something you use if you want something which is difficult, impossible or unlikely to get or achieve. It makes it seem like much more of a comedy thing to me than a true hint. This is wishing as opposed to:

Hoping. This would have been a much better word if it was a true hint for Captain Toad to get into Smash Bros., because it shows he actually has confidence in his chances.
I don't blame Toad for having no confidence about getting in Smash... Sakurai made him Peach's shield for three games now... despite the fact Toad is finally becoming more important/relevant than his Smash rivals for the fifth Mario rep (Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Paper Mario, and for some reason Geno) and is finally getting the potential to be unique from Mario veterans (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, and Wario)... only for Rosalina to take the roster spot from Toad with her gravitational pull.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I want to just say, even if things still seem pretty unfavouring towards Toad (Captain or not), let's just appreciate the fact that he keeps on becoming more loved and loved as of years. I'm still amazed they showed CAPTAIN TOAD as Nintendo's big Mario-game of E3 2014. (honestly Mario Maker feels like a sideline thing). IMO, in Smash or not, Toad's resurging big time in Nintendo's hands.

I mean, compare when he was a mere "one of them all" and the usual helper dude for Mario in the games back in 2003-2010:

+

"The Toad Debacle"

Anyway, I think I finally found something that lets us see this whole "The Toad"-debacle from a new angle:

Skip to 6:41

We always tried to see or find ways to distinguish "The Toad" from other Toads. In Mario Golf: World Tour, it appears that The Toad is the one that other Toads consider their "leader"?. They celebrate for him big time when he scores Hole-In-Ones or less, and try to cheer him up when he's down after doing Bogeys. They act as Toad's supporters in his animations.(And look, there's even Red Toads in the mix!).

If looking back at the whole concept of "Toad Brigade", with the red-vested Toad being the "Leader" to them, it might be that Toads follow and consider The Toad as a representative to all of them. Since SMG1-artwork showed this being The Toad, The Toad being cheered upon and supported solely all makes sense now.

By these, I could say that whenever Toads follow a Toad as their leader, THAT ONE is "The Toad". I guess because he's, frankly, their hero and representative of his kin. Why? Could it be due SMB2? Wario's Woods? Mario Sport Spinoff Representative? Who knows. But what's clear is that he's looked up upon, and supported when he's down. They must see something great in him.

In anycase, I think this would finally cut down any confusion and tingle-tangle debates with The Toad-debacle. In short, if you wonder who's "The Toad", look for the one who's their "leader" in the games.
Whether a Captain, red-vested, or just in his iconic blue vest-polkadot shroom attire, The Toad is the one that others follow, most likely due being looked upon (probably through his iconic adventures throughout the years we also remember.

Is Captain Toad "The Toad"? From Mario Golf: World Tour showing that Toads follow and support who they see as their "Leader", credits in Super Mario 3D World (leader to other Toads) and Super Mario Galaxy showing him as the leader of Toad Brigade... yes. Most likely.

TL; DR:

Captain Toad is The Toad. Mario Golf: World Tour shows us that Toads follow a leader, as he is cheered upon and supported when he's down. Galaxys and 3D World had Captain Toad lead other Toads, which Galaxy also labels as "The Toad" (trademark blue-vest-polka-dot look in SMG1-artwork, later on red-vested in Galaxy 2-artwork). 3D World in particular though has Captain Toad be more distinguished from others, and was in E3 2013-trailer, shown as "The Toad".

Lastly, this all makes sense, as he's leading them on to helping Mario and company. In general, he's looked up upon, probably due his status and achievements in the past we know- which finally goes to us
players that also see him as the representative to them in the spinoffs and some of his playable/graphic media appearances (comics, cartoons, etc) since the 80's. Obvious, I know.

So no more looking at colours, japanese names or other weird jazz: instead, check who's leading the rest. Mario Golf: WT shows that "The Toad" is the one supported and followed by others, for he's the one leading them when Mario and friends need help in his biggest adventures (Galaxy-games most prominently, with 3D World distinguishing The Toad's Captain-look even more.

So yes. I hope this finally got cracked. Cheers!

*still waits to be added as a supporter*

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
What bothers me so much is how people are saying "Toad can't jump!" because of the backpack.

Well guess what? There's plenty of characters that have never jumped in their own series, could have heavy items in their pockets ( :4villager: ) and the like.

Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Villager
Marth
Ike
Roy

are just SOME examples

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
What bothers me so much is how people are saying "Toad can't jump!" because of the backpack.

Well guess what? There's plenty of characters that have never jumped in their own series, could have heavy items in their pockets ( :4villager: ) and the like.

Link
Zelda
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Villager
Marth
Ike
Roy

are just SOME examples
I guess it's more of that one of Captain Toad's most defining feature is that he CAN'T jump, forming completely new style of gameplay that constitutes his puzzles - I mean, we never saw these aforementioned characters jump before either anyway, so I dunno how that's a good argument. Give 'em jumping is easy because it doesn't take anything away from them. On Captain Toad, it does.

I can kinda see where they come from, but that again gives us new ways to think creatively outside of the box on how to cover or recreate that con in him.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I guess it's more of that one of Captain Toad's most defining feature is that he CAN'T jump, forming completely new style of gameplay that constitutes his puzzles. I can kinda see where they come from, but that again gives us new ways to think creatively outside of the box on how to cover or recreate that con in him.
Thing is though, all characters in Smash can jump. It's kind of a required feature.

Also @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad - I am not on the list (pretty sure I asked to be awhile back) yet APC99 is listed twice....

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Thing is though, all characters in Smash can jump. It's kind of a required feature.

Also @ YoshiandToad YoshiandToad - I am not on the list (pretty sure I asked to be awhile back) yet APC99 is listed twice....
That's true - Smash tends to overlook canon stuff in order to make the gameplay work. Who knows if Captain Toad gets the same. Hmm.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
wish
[wish] Show IPA
verb (used with object)

Sakurai could pull a Waluigi on us and be like "You don't always get what you wish for, kiddos. :troll: notoad4you."

UNRELATED NOTE: Toad in SMB2 and SM3DW is blue, his schemes don't represent "The Toad". That's not to say he couldn't change his vest and hat (:yeahboi:)

Needless to say, I think we can all agree that Captain Toad's palette swaps would be the other Toad hats and vests.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Something I realized about Nintendo having Toad saying he wishes to fight... what if Nintendo already knows that the Toad fans really wish that Toad is playable in Smash... so Nintendo had Toad voice our collective wish?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh dear. I've dropped the ball a few times now. I honestly thought I put you on already. Sorting now!
It probably might be a bit helpful if the supporter list is organized alphabetically? This way, you could better keep track of the list.

I could see Sakurai trolling the Toad fans once more by saying something like "you don't always get what you wish for!" when showing another picture of Peach using Toad as a shield. I'm tired of having false hope.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Don't forget me!
I forgot you as well...yeesh.

It's upto date now I believe. Keybladeguy; you replaced the second APC99.

Sakurai could pull a Waluigi on us and be like "You don't always get what you wish for, kiddos. :troll: notoad4you."
Would not surprise me honestly. Not one bit.

But hey! At the very least it means this;

Something I realized about Nintendo having Toad saying he wishes to fight... what if Nintendo already knows that the Toad fans really wish that Toad is playable in Smash... so Nintendo had Toad voice our collective wish?
Looks like Nintendo are at least paying attention to the Toad fanbase after so long?

It probably might be a bit helpful if the supporter list is organized alphabetically? This way, you could better keep track of the list.
Maybe I will do that. It's currently a mess.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I support.

Toad is the most glaring omission from the roster besides Mewtwo in my opinion, and Captain Toad is basically just Toad with a headlamp. He's actually been made in a self-substantial character, and if he's not on the disc, and there is character DLC, he is a prime candidate for it.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I wonder...

You know how Toads look very similar but with different colors? What if each one looks unique, but we're just looking at it from another perspective.

Let me explain. Toads could represent the "common man" in our world and these people are often said to look the same, work the samec etc. Toads look the same and often do very similar jobs. Each person, though, is unique once looked at closely enough. So could all Toads have a defining feature about themselves, but Mario just sees them all as the same mushrooms?

Just food for thought.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
I wonder...

You know how Toads look very similar but with different colors? What if each one looks unique, but we're just looking at it from another perspective.

Let me explain. Toads could represent the "common man" in our world and these people are often said to look the same, work the samec etc. Toads look the same and often do very similar jobs. Each person, though, is unique once looked at closely enough. So could all Toads have a defining feature about themselves, but Mario just sees them all as the same mushrooms?

Just food for thought.
I never thought about that before...
That's inspirational.

:yeahboi:

Top Bottom