• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
*Looks at OP*
*Gasps*
I should be on the support list!
Please put me there Y&T.
I'm frankly surprised you weren't already! Then again, I guess it can be assumed that many of the Toad Brigade are also Captain Toad fans...although oddly not always vice versa!

Here's your screenshot. Two Toadettes. Mindsplosion.

View attachment 17426
To make things even more confusing about Toadsworth, his young self looks different from the other normal Toads with the same red vest but a brownish cap. Does this imply that, though plainly colored Toads are the majority, are there any other specific Toads? Who knows how many Toadsworths there may be?

Toadsworth the Younger, M&L Partners in Time, I think.

A Toad from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door.

Just great.
So not even Toadette and arguably Toadsworth are unique Toads anymore?!? Jeez! Alright, everyone get behind the Captain. Until we see two flashlight donned Captain Toad's I'm assuming he's a unique!

---------------------

- Updated the OP to include our three latest brave adventurers.

----------------------

So with Captain Toad being confirmed to have Amiibo compatibility, and crossover compatibility being a thing; (Thread for this is here)

What do you think it could mean for him? Whilst I'd be delighted with the Captain Toad figure unlocking a playable Captain Toad for Smash, I have doubts this is how it'll work...and what will the Smash trophies do for Captain Toad Treasure Tracker?

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
If the Captain Toad Amiibo is going to be used for Smash Bros as well, I would think that it wouldn't be the only way to unlock him. It would probably just work like the other Amiibos, and you need to buy Captain Toad as DLC like you would any other game.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
If the Captain Toad Amiibo is going to be used for Smash Bros as well, I would think that it wouldn't be the only way to unlock him. It would probably just work like the other Amiibos, and you need to buy Captain Toad as DLC like you would any other game.
It'd probably unlock him too. For DLC I imagine the amiibo figures will be released the day the character is released on the eshop. Just the amiibos would be the normal $15 while the character would be like $5

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Maybe captain toad (the game) will explain all of this. not that mario games ever do. but ya know, I have hope.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
With amiibos i cant but think that captain toad will indeed be playable :crazy:
I wish!!! At this point, I just want SSB4 and Captain Toad game... if Toad is playable in SSB4, even better, but I'm not holding my breath for it. Hopefully the time period between SSB4 and SSB5 will push Toad more into the spotlight... the time period between Brawl and SSB4 is only the beginning of Toad's renaissance. Toad is finally reclaiming his relevance in the Mario main games and I'm so happy that Toad finally got his own game. I'll continue to support Toad by buying his own game and requesting Nintendo to keep including Toad as a playable character in future Mario main games.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
With amiibos i cant but think that captain toad will indeed be playable :crazy:
I have high hopes for him being DLC. That crossover thing might be the key.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Captain Toad takes over the role of regular Toad in the series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Captain Toad takes over the role of regular Toad in the series.
I believe that THE Toad, Red Toad, and Captain Toad are the one and the same person. Yes, Nintendo doesn't outright confirm it to be true but there are evidence that imply this to be the case.

Whenever a singular Toad is playable in Mario sports/party games, he usually has red spots and blue vest. However, Mario baseball games featured multiple playable Toads... and not one of them is a Toad with red spots and blue vest! Instead, the default Toad is Red Toad. He and the other Toads had bad chemistry with Wario in the first baseball game... bad chemistry that stemmed from Wario's Woods.

It is pretty much implied that the five Toads who accompanied Peach in Super Mario Sunshine later became the Toad Brigade in Super Mario Galaxy. We saw the intro where there were five Toads carrying Star Bits and the Grand Star... a Toad with red spots and blue vest is there instead of the Red Toad. Why would they show a generic Toad with color-coded Toads instead of Red Toad? I believe it is to show us that Red Toad is actually THE Toad without explicitly telling us so.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
Toad has deserved a spot in Smash for a while. I was almost certain he'd get in Brawl, but sadly he didn't. Everyone was saying he is unlikely because of him being a move for Peach. Now that we have an actual unique Toad, I don't see why he wouldn't get it. At the very least he would be a Assist Trophy.

Here's hoping Captain Toad's next adventure is in Smash Bros!!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
We need more Captains, so I can get behind Captain Toad easily (since the generic Toad was deconfirmed). Playing his levels in Super Mario 3D World had fully convinced me of his moveset potential, even if I've enjoyed his character in the Galaxy games.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
I have high hopes for him being DLC. That crossover thing might be the key.

Completely agree with your tiny text.

But as for DLC. It makes too much sense to have Captain Toad as it. Smash is now a marketing tool for Nintendo. A game that is FOR SURE to be one of the Wii U's top 3 selling games for it's lifespan is an insane opportunity for Nintendo to promote titles they want to sell.

Nintendo wants to sell more copies of Captain Toad? BAM! Captain Toad DLC for Smash Bros. Now, little 8 year old boy boots up his Smash Bros and now he has Captain Toad! (Assuming characters are free of course, if not, he gets a notification of the character being available). Little boy then remembers, "Oh yeah, that Captain Toad game! He's so cool in Smash Bros, I'll get his game!"

Now this could work for any series Nintendo tries to push on Wii U. Splatoon comes to mind immediently. Nintendo would not miss this grand opportunity to sell their games.

I know because of Smash 64 when I was young I learned about Samus and F-Zero. Two games I never heard of before. Next time I went to the store. I bought Metroid! Why? Because she was so awesome in my Smash Bros game! This is such a genius opportunity for Nintendo I would be shocked if this is not what happens in the coming years for Smash.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Completely agree with your tiny text.

But as for DLC. It makes too much sense to have Captain Toad as it. Smash is now a marketing tool for Nintendo. A game that is FOR SURE to be one of the Wii U's top 3 selling games for it's lifespan is an insane opportunity for Nintendo to promote titles they want to sell.

Nintendo wants to sell more copies of Captain Toad? BAM! Captain Toad DLC for Smash Bros. Now, little 8 year old boy boots up his Smash Bros and now he has Captain Toad! (Assuming characters are free of course, if not, he gets a notification of the character being available). Little boy then remembers, "Oh yeah, that Captain Toad game! He's so cool in Smash Bros, I'll get his game!"

Now this could work for any series Nintendo tries to push on Wii U. Splatoon comes to mind immediently. Nintendo would not miss this grand opportunity to sell their games.

I know because of Smash 64 when I was young I learned about Samus and F-Zero. Two games I never heard of before. Next time I went to the store. I bought Metroid! Why? Because she was so awesome in my Smash Bros game! This is such a genius opportunity for Nintendo I would be shocked if this is not what happens in the coming years for Smash.
Honestly I have been thinking it possible, but I've always erred on the side of caution regarding this. Smash is one of Nintendo's biggest sellers and most certainly has the most advertisement potential.

With Amiibos the stage is set for great things advertisement wise. Much like you I only learnt of certain games thanks to Smash Bros. Metroid, F-Zero, MOTHER, Fire Emblem, etc...Captain Toad whilst most likely common knowledge to kids who played Galaxy/Galaxy 2/SM3DW could very much still get additional hype FROM this tie in...

I just wonder if Nintendo will go for it, or whether they'll let the opportunity slip through their hands...

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
We need more Captains...

All jokes aside, I think Captain Toad would be an amazing character (more likely for DLC) and I support this 100%

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Updated the OP with new supporters(as standard) and added in "Is Captain Toad THE Toad" section. Also removed the broken roster image, as it is now a default icon in Roster Maker 9 anyway.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Add me to the supporter list, please! o uob
Any type of Toad is fine with me, as long as a Toad gets in.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Just thought of something that completely counters "he has no moveset potential". What if they gave him hiker/miner/climber gear in his bag? I imagine some of this will be utilized in Captain Toad's game, but it'd be great for a moveset. Grappling hook tether/grab, he could use his pic axe as a move, and of course, the turnips. They'd be faster than Peach's and would be thrown instantly. It'd be a way to make it different from Peach's move.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Toad supporter here! I've been wanting Toad as a playable character since Melee!
I would LOVE to see any form of Toad playable! Captain Toad, I think, has a lot of potential! Just wanted to let y'all know that there's another Toad supporter out there. :-)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_news/140704/whf/index.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_news/140704/whf/img/oyasumi_chara.png

Someone said it means "I'd love to 'JOIN THE FIGHT' some day..." but I don't read that language and don't know how accurate that is. But still, it's cool to see C. Toad alongside MK8 and Smash Bros.
ALKJLKDGLFJADFLKDJGDSFL;KDSGJMDLGVJ;LDRAWERJSVLNFJLKMCOIREUGHJ

@Venus of the Desert Bloom
Can you please translate this? It may be really important.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
This is important! We could be getting:

domokl

Smash Lord
So captain toad is day dreaming about joning the fight…………………HYPE

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

domokl

Smash Lord
I'm a bit worried though would nintendo do that big of a hint?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It probably isn't much...

...but I am super curious to what the Amiibos do in Captain Toad's game and vice versa. Some additional info would be great!

(Keep an eye on this one just in case Toad Brigade, but don't get too hyped just in case we're not the new R.O.B. fanbase)

I'm a bit worried though would nintendo do that big of a hint?
Seems like a little too large a hint...but also seems like a weird thing to post.

What was that news piece advertising exactly?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_news/140704/whf/index.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_news/140704/whf/img/oyasumi_chara.png

Someone said it means "I'd love to 'JOIN THE FIGHT' some day..." but I don't read that language and don't know how accurate that is. But still, it's cool to see C. Toad alongside MK8 and Smash Bros.
OH MY GOD
OH MY GOD
pleasepleaseplease...

EDIT: Alright, hype out of system.
Let us get serious here. The page appears to be advertising MK8 and Smash for 3ds, likely at some sort of event. I see no indication, i.e pictures, of Captain Toad Treasure tracker of being at this event as well. Which is why it is very strange that Captain Toad is interspersed so prominently for an event he appears to have little to do with.
What could it mean? :)

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
It does match the ones in pacs trailer but we still need an offical translation

domokl

Smash Lord
OH MY GOD
OH MY GOD
pleasepleaseplease...

Let us get serious here. The page appears to be advertising MK8 and Smash for 3ds, likely at some sort of event. I see no indication, i.e pictures, of Captain Toad Treasure tracker of being at this event as well. Which is why it is very strange that Captain Toad is interspersed so prominently for an event he appears to have little to do with.
That is true. We see footage of the other games but not captains toad and he's all over the place in that page

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
At best? Captain Toad is playable in Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8 as a DLC character(at least for the latter).

At worst? Captain Toad's Amiibo compatible functionalities will be revealed at this event for those games. Either way we should get some sort of information.

How exciting! Something to talk about!

domokl

Smash Lord
At best? Captain Toad is playable in Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8 as a DLC character(at least for the latter).

At worst? Captain Toad's Amiibo compatible functionalities will be revealed at this event for those games. Either way we should get some sort of information.

How exciting! Something to talk about!
This could be the offical reveal for character dlc at this event

Top Bottom