• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Lyncario

Smash Ace
And so, the last half hour before the direct started. Hoping for Reimu (as usual), even if most characters would satisfy me enough.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Ohhhh man. This is it. In a few dozen minutes, the final fighter will be revealed and the end of Ultimate's DLC will come. It was one hell of a ride, everybody.

See you all on the other side.

Ruler of Subspace

Smash Apprentice
Smash DLC's final moments are upon us. It's been a fun ride. I have no idea what I'm going to do with my thoughts and wishes anymore for this franchise after this.

See you all later.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
AHHHH DAMMIT! WHY'D THEY HAVE TO MOVE THE ANNOUNCEMENT TO OCTOBER?!?1 WHY MUST THEY KEEP US WAITING?! DO THEY WANT US TO SUFFER????

(on the plus side, at least I get to keep this sweet (lol) pfp

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I just wanna bring up the fact that this character's going to be revealed in October and our gap is just about as big as the one between Min Min and Steve. Makes you wonder about how much effort they're putting to develop this new fighter.

Just wanted to mention that the Smash Direct is happening during 11PM JST, when most Japanese people are out from school or work. We might be getting a Japanese-centric character.
Oh? Well, if that's the case...

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Just wanted to mention that the Smash Direct is happening during 11PM JST, when most Japanese people are out from school or work. We might be getting a Japanese-centric character.
Just checked the other presentations, Kazuya and Terry had the same presentation times. I dunno how this would be any special, tbh.

Last edited:

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
Smash color.png

do you still think color theory is a thing?

Like, I just found that they use pink-ish purple for Inkling's theme color, while it should have been orange
Reimu, whose theme color is red, could still be not affected despite we have Mario, Diddy, Ryu, Joker, Kazuya all being red.

Ruler of Subspace

Smash Apprentice
View attachment 331437

do you still think color theory is a thing?

Like, I just found that they use pink-ish purple for Inkling's theme color, while it should have been orange
Reimu, whose theme color is red, could still be not affected despite we have Mario, Diddy, Ryu, Joker, Kazuya all being red.
I think Inkling's magenta is used to represent Splatoon 2. The same could happen with Reimu: Purple is, iirc, one of the most used colors in the series, therefore some shade of purple could be used as her theme color. I still believe in Color Theory due to it being correct all the way up until 10/5.
Capture+_2021-09-24-10-31-00.png

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
The way I see it, even if Reimu isn't the last character, I feel like with how Ultimate is, she's going to be a permanent character in discussion circles for years to come and will be on the table for a potential newcomer in future games. That alone is a lot better than most characters who either get dropped out of discussion or lose interest as time goes on.

MariocY

Smash Rookie
When ZUN mentioned smash bros, what exactly did he say? that part confused me.

Ruler of Subspace

Smash Apprentice
ZUN: "In addition, I would like characters from Touhou to appear in other games so Touhou can become more recognized. Naturally, I want them to appear in Smash Bros. (laughs) But that's something that I can't make happen by just thinking about it." -PushDustIn's tweet around 2 years ago

He said, IIRC, that he'd love to have Reimu in Smash, but he can't make it happen just by thinking about it.
Pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Speaking of which, how long has it been since that slide show about Reimu got updated? We should update it with whatever new information we got since then.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
ZUN: "In addition, I would like characters from Touhou to appear in other games so Touhou can become more recognized. Naturally, I want them to appear in Smash Bros. (laughs) But that's something that I can't make happen by just thinking about it." -PushDustIn's tweet around 2 years ago

Pretty much sums it up.
Should note that the Interview itself was in March of 2019 while it's published date is October 2019. Theoretically, it shouldn't impact FP2 speculation due to timing.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Should note that the Interview itself was in March of 2019 while it's published date is October 2019. Theoretically, it shouldn't impact FP2 speculation due to timing.
I mean, TBF, Steve took 5 years to negotiate, which no doubt was where the rumors about Minecraft content in base game came from. I wouldn't put it past them to have Reimu be a part of FP2, even with the timeframe of the interview.

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
It's good for us that the reveal is in a smash direct. Just like for Terry, it's better for niche characters to be revealed in smash directs rather than global ones. However, it could also very well mean a Byleth-like character (recent first party), like for the end of FP1.

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
I participated once and I'm not doing it ever again. It was basically torture to have to choose only 5 characters and 7 musics. Though I always really like looking at the results.
(FINALLY, SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS MY PAIN!)

Wait, 5 characters and 7 songs? In the poll that I took, I could choose to vote for 7 characters and 10 songs, which was still hell, but at least I didn't have to be that restrictive. This is my 2nd time participating, by the way, and I'm pretty sure it was that way last year as well.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I've been doing a little thinking and I think I may have another point in favor of Reimu.

Autumn Reitaisai 8.

Now the odds/idea of a fighter being revealed coinciding with a specific event can be tricky. On the one hand, we've had predictions that were completely off (I admittedly thought Doom Slayer would be revealed for Smash Ultimate in 2018 because the presentation that revealed K. Rool and Simon were really close to QuakeCon that year), but on the other hand, Steve was revealed really close to last year's MineCon and some cues told me that this was planned from the start (I mean, Sakurai himself made an appearance, albeit prerecorded. There's no way this was not planned between Nintendo and Mojang IMO). Though probably not likely to happen again, announcing Reimu this month because of Autumn Reitaisai would sort of mirror the Steve reveal in a way.

Now you're probably thinking: "But Goliso, the Smash presentation is a bit over two weeks from Reitaisai!" (For context, Autumn Reitaisai this year takes place October 24th.) I mean, yeah, the presentation is over two weeks off, but the release could very well be a lot closer. Spacing a presentation from a release isn't unheard of (Byleth and, to an extent, Min Min, come to mind), so having it that far wouldn't be too unlikely. Though I'm not sure if Nintendo would be willing to willingly repeat things in a new coat of paint (I'd bring up Min Min and Kazuya being fighting game characters revealed in June, but Occam's razor tells me that's just coincidence), it would make sense for the same thing to happen somewhat.

Also, if Reimu does turn out to be the Final Fighter, imagine if Sakurai plays a compilation of Touhou memes and fan videos in the presentation while saying, "For some of you, you may have taking a liking to something you never knew was from Touhou."

God, I would look forward to the collective existential crisis of the Smash community lol

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
Oh hey, the Touhou poll's up
The 17th Tougata Project Popularity Poll (toho-vote.info)
It also has really odd translations courtesy of auto-Google Translate, as expected
I'm thinking I'll only vote characters, which I just did.
  1. Hong Meiling
  2. Reimu Hakurei
  3. Ran Yakumo
  4. Doremy Sweet
  5. Patchouli Knowledge
  6. Wriggle Nightbug
  7. Reisen Udongein Inaba
I don't think you need to comment on your votes, but do keep it in Japanese if you want to comment, just in case.

EDIT: This just in! Autumn Reitaisai 8 will include this new exA-Arcadia title named Touhou Dengeikei, or Perfect Sakura Fantastica. I'm honestly shocked, since exA has had controversy in the past few years, but this is going to be an interesting development.

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
I'm honestly shocked, since exA has had controversy in the past few years, but this is going to be an interesting development.
Huh. I've never heard of this circle or this "controversy".

So uh....you mind elaborating on this? Don't just leave me hanging lol

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Huh. I've never heard of this circle or this "controversy".

So uh....you mind elaborating on this? Don't just leave me hanging lol
Dunno about the controversy, but it looks like a group dedicated to bringing games back to arcades. This game appears to be the first full Arcade Touhou game.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
exA-Arcadia is a very recent effort in Japan to revive arcade-based gaming for good. However, Shou, one of the folks related to exA, is obsessed with using NDAs to protect intellectual property and hiring people who try to dump the exA-Arcadia games.
So Shou is controversial among those who push for games to be archived and preserved.

Last edited:

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking I'll only vote characters, which I just did.
  1. Hong Meiling
  2. Reimu Hakurei
  3. Ran Yakumo
  4. Doremy Sweet
  5. Patchouli Knowledge
  6. Wriggle Nightbug
  7. Reisen Udongein Inaba
Doubt you guys care but i voted for:

1. Alice Margatroid
2. Kogasa Tatara
3. Sekibanki
4. Cirno
5. Fujiwara no Mokou
6. Clownpiece
7. Eiki Shiki, Yamaxanadu

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Not to brag or anything, but since we are still talking about this poll, I guess now would be the time to say that I'm planning on submitting something for the "support works" section and have it hopefully show up on Touhou Station!
Finally! This sad little girl can show papa ZUN my appreciation! It will make me just a little less sad...

Top Bottom