• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

SharkLord

Smash Hero

So they just released footage of AoCF on Switch and...this is interesting. There are English subtitles in addition to the original Japanese text at the bottom of the screen. Spell Cards still aren't translated (Though I hope that gets fixed in a Day 1 patch), and the game starts off fully in Japanese, prompting non-Japanese readers/speakers to change that in the options menu, but hey, the gameplay still looks good.
Yeah, that's the original translation it's always used. If they haven't changed it by now, I think that's here to stay. Might be better off just getting the English fan patch.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
In other news, THIS has been going 'round the web and has been found on two separate Chinese websites.

1618763321118.png

This makes me wonder what kind of youkai this new silhouette is. Some have suggested a chimera while another said it could be an omukade, a giant centipede youkai, but I personally have no clue. It looks real enough to me. I don't think I've seen any covers for Touhou games being leaked before (Aside from the demo disk that had Mike on it), but this most certainly has caught my eye.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

So they just released footage of AoCF on Switch and...this is interesting. There are English subtitles in addition to the original Japanese text at the bottom of the screen. Spell Cards still aren't translated (Though I hope that gets fixed in a Day 1 patch), and the game starts off fully in Japanese, prompting non-Japanese readers/speakers to change that in the options menu, but hey, the gameplay still looks good.
I hope the online is better than the Steam version. It always lagged like hell when I was playing my friend.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
idk if this has been posted or not but anyways..
There was a problem fetching the tweet
the animation is really smooth along with the model (which maybe could be used as a visual representation in making a moveset for her). Other than that the thing that caught my eyes is that the upload on Youtube uses different song due to IOSYS strict copyright which might be one roadblock if we hypothetically get a remix from a doujin circle but don't quote me on that since I doubt that will ever happened and this the first time I've seen this happened.

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
idk if this has been posted or not but anyways..
There was a problem fetching the tweet
the animation is really smooth along with the model (which maybe could be used as a visual representation in making a moveset for her). Other than that the thing that caught my eyes is that the upload on Youtube uses different song due to IOSYS strict copyright which might be one roadblock if we hypothetically get a remix from a doujin circle but don't quote me on that since I doubt that will ever happened and this the first time I've seen this happened.
DUDE, I knew this animator before her videos had thousands of views! AHHH SHE'S FAMOUS NOW!

I had no idea IOSYS was this strict on copyright over their songs. There goes my dream of monetizing any videos I make with these songs...

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
So, over the past few weeks people discovered several unlock codes for almost all Touhou games:
And yes, those actually work, I'm not ****ting you lol
Please ZUN, never change

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
So, over the past few weeks people discovered several unlock codes for almost all Touhou games:
And yes, those actually work, I'm not ****ting you lol
Please ZUN, never change
sayilovebeer
beerislife
ilovebeer
(sigh) My lovely man~💕
I love him...

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Touhou 15.5 is now on Nintendo Switch (and PS4)

Still feels kinda unreal, doesnt it?
Apparently still using the terribad Steam "localisation". Maybe thats why they barely advertise the game overseas unlike all the other Touhou Doujin games. Its pretty sad. Im really losing faith in Tasofro for every move they do thus far...

Lyncario

Smash Ace
While it kinda sucks that AoCF on Switch and PS4 is using the bad subtitles, it's still great to have it on Switch.

And somehow I already softlocked myself in the story mode after playing it for about 15 minutes

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Touhou Lost Word Global Version releasing May 11

Quidd Dude

Smash Apprentice
Nice, might play it again since it was a fun game.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
I've actually already pre-registered for the game. It'd be my first time playing it. I'm just trying it out to see if I can add it to my future catalog of Touhou games. It's an RPG though, so hopefully I'll like it.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Speaking of Touhou mobile games

More informations can be read here via the official announcement

Edit: It seems the chinese development team (Dobala Games) is known for infringing copyrighted material and badly handling source materials. They have previously made a game using stolen Touhou assets as well as other properties. And it seems that the game may very well just be this very 2018 game redistributed with a few adjustments. So... yeah. They gave the creator license for this fangame to someone who is working with someone who notoriously does Touhou bootleg based on a stolen game.
Read the comments under the Touhou Garakuta announcement for example: https://twitter.com/Touhou_Yomoyama/status/1386547502992658433
Or summaries here: https://t.bilibili.com/517856430361073125 and https://www.zhihu.com/question/304305811/answer/544231835

Edit 2: Happy World Intellectual Property Day everyone.

Edit 3:

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace

Edit: It seems the chinese development team is known for infringing copyrighted material and badly handling source materials. They have previously made a game using stolen Touhou assets as well as other properties. And it seems that the game may very well just be this very 2018 game redistributed with a few adjustments. So... yeah. They gave the creator license for this fangame to someone who notoriously does Touhou bootleg.
Read the comments under the Touhou Garakuta announcement for example: https://twitter.com/Touhou_Yomoyama/status/1386547502992658433
Or summaries here: https://t.bilibili.com/517856430361073125 and https://www.zhihu.com/question/304305811/answer/544231835

Green bootleg Tewi is beyond cursed, what the heck. Hope this game gets cancelled.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Edit: It seems the chinese development team is known for infringing copyrighted material and badly handling source materials. They have previously made a game using stolen Touhou assets as well as other properties. And it seems that the game may very well just be this very 2018 game redistributed with a few adjustments. So... yeah. They gave the creator license for this fangame to someone who notoriously does Touhou bootleg.

Oh lord. ZUN’s got something to say about this I’m sure

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Dobala...I get that ZUN's copyright enforcement is super lax, but look: there at least needs to be at some level of respect for the franchise. Lemme just put this in your language: "凑在一起".

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Seems cool. I might try and find a way to play this if it runs good enough

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Okay, so last night, I think I've found the perfect way to embody the fly-and-shoot aspect of Touhou with a NEW potential Reimu jab:

Most characters just stand in place and do 1-3 hits of damage.
Then we have Meta Knight, who just has a held-button rapid jab.
And further still is Mega Man and Steve, who are capable of attacking while moving around.

So for Reimu? Here's how it works in my mind:

Jab and Neutral Aerial are completely replaced with a unique sort of Neutral Attack: by pressing A, she doesn't do anything at all. At least, that's on the surface. When you hold the A button, she'll float in place, unmoving. Where's the attack part, though? Simple: if you tilt the joystick while holding A, you'll fire the signature homing amulets that Reimu is known for in the direction of the joystick, dealing super weak unflinching damage per shot at as many shots per minute as Piranha Plant's Poison Cloud. You can even press Shield while holding A to activate swap them out with the Persuasion Needles, which would sacrifice the homing properties for higher damage output! A simple yet effective attack that can most certainly be doable in the confines of Smash, don't you think?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Okay, so last night, I think I've found the perfect way to embody the fly-and-shoot aspect of Touhou with a NEW potential Reimu jab:

And further still is Mega Man and Steve, who are capable of attacking while moving around.

Jab and Neutral Aerial are completely replaced with a unique sort of Neutral Attack: by pressing A, she doesn't do anything at all. At least, that's on the surface. When you hold the A button, she'll float in place, unmoving. Where's the attack part, though? Simple: if you tilt the joystick while holding A, you'll fire the signature homing amulets that Reimu is known for in the direction of the joystick, dealing super weak unflinching damage per shot at as many shots per minute as Piranha Plant's Poison Cloud. You can even press Shield while holding A to activate swap them out with the Persuasion Needles, which would sacrifice the homing properties for higher damage output! A simple yet effective attack that can most certainly be doable in the confines of Smash, don't you think?
Hmm... That could work with adapting the shooter's attacks to Smash's sidescrolling perspective. Though, I think it would be a bit more natural if we made it a bit closer to the Mega Man/Steve style mobile jabs, where Reimu fires for as long as the button's held. The control stick can then be aimed in any direction, and the bullets would be fired in the direction pointed. I also feel like it'd make sense for the needles and amulets be a down special swap system. Though, that would depend on how much the bullets are used in her moveset beyond just the jab.

Last edited:

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Hmm... That could work with adapting the shooter's attacks to Smash's sidescrolling perspective. Though, I think it would be a bit more natural if we made it a bit closer to the Mega Man/Steve style mobile jabs, where Reimu fires for as long as the button's held.
Pretty much this. There's no need to make a character's jab needlessly complicated.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice

Well, you guys are way better at coming up with ideas than I am, that's for sure! I need to broaden my knowledge of SSB...

Regarding...

Edit: It seems the chinese development team (Dobala Games) is known for infringing copyrighted material and badly handling source materials. They have previously made a game using stolen Touhou assets as well as other properties. And it seems that the game may very well just be this very 2018 game redistributed with a few adjustments. So... yeah. They gave the creator license for this fangame to someone who is working with someone who notoriously does Touhou bootleg based on a stolen game.

Edit 3:
That is a damn shame...I was kinda interested in getting this game seeing that it is a shoot-em' up, but this is just scummy...
I don't know exactly how many examples there are of this, but ZUN must really know about this, because appearently, these companies don't even go through ZUN himself, they go through his legal team. Hey, maybe if it blows up in some way, he'll notice, I hope.
I feel bad for downloading Lost Word on my phone now... I feel disgusted with myself...

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well, you guys are way better at coming up with ideas than I am, that's for sure! I need to broaden my knowledge of SSB...

Regarding...

That is a damn shame...I was kinda interested in getting this game seeing that it is a shoot-em' up, but this is just scummy...
I don't know exactly how many examples there are of this, but ZUN must really know about this, because appearently, these companies don't even go through ZUN himself, they go through his legal team. Hey, maybe if it blows up in some way, he'll notice, I hope.
I feel bad for downloading Lost Word on my phone now... I feel disgusted with myself...
Yo, don't worry, AFAIK, these are different devs. GoodSmile and NextNinja are the ones making Lost Word, not the ones behind that.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh crap, I might have some KLab fan games on my switch tho

azure reflections, genso skydrift, Luna nights... any of those by KLab? Please say no...

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Yo, don't worry, AFAIK, these are different devs. GoodSmile and NextNinja are the ones making Lost Word, not the ones behind that.
I'm aware of that. It's just that the fact that they didn't even talk directly to ZUN and could theoretically do this sort of thing if they weren't so reputable kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth. But you're probably right, I'm probably overreacting.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Please just read the posts, official articles and PSA Tweets first before overreacting.
But I will just sum it up in a bit.

• KLab has received an official license from Team Shanghai Alice to create a spin-off (fangame) based on the "Touhou Project" for worldwide distribution.
  • The game is currently being jointly developed with DOBALA GAMES.
And DoBaLa Games is the one who made the bootleg game out of stolen assets and the game announced is using pretty much it.
DoBaLa Games pretty much misused the trust of KLab because they didnt know any better, meanwhile in China, they have always been very notoriously known for being pretty shady.
Its nothing new that ZUN has a legal team that oversees and curates fangames, especially for the mobile game market.
KLab generally has a good reputation in the mobile game market being project managers involved with Love Live! And Tales of Crestoria.
Now of course, supervision is a core part of their position, but it seems the lack of research made them fall for their tricks.

Its not like all of the mobile games and console fangames are all something that ZUN is against and the Legal Team is just doing whatever as long as it brings money. I mean... theres a reason why theyre there to begin with. You cant just ask him to work on his game while also overseeing the entirety of Touhou legal matters. We only got to the point of Touhou fangames on consoles and mobile devices because ZUN approved of it, dont treat it like its something out of his control. ^^;

You can make your fangames. You can also distribute them on console and Steam storefronts, you can also ask to receive a license for developing a mobile game. All you have to do is follow ZUNs guidelines for fan creations. Simple as that.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Hey, good news! look at the article that touhou-project.news (Touhou Yomoyama) posted:

https://touhou-project.news/news/3987/

Notice anything? Yep, there is no article anymore! This was the article shown in that tweet yesterday. It seems that they took it down after Chinese and Japanese (and some English-speaking) fans have banded together and begged them to do so! There was not one positive comment I could find that people made about that game. If they can take it down, hopefully this would mean that DoBaLa games will lose their authorization, and that other instances like this won't happen in the future!

But who knows? I just may be a bit too optimistic, but a girl can dream!

EDIT: While I was reading one analysis thread on Twitter, I saw this one reply that shook me.

Touhou has gotten too big for it’s own good. ZUN treats Touhou like it’s still some small doujin series, but it’s not. It’s a huge cultural phenomenon that many people want to use to cash out on.
This gives me the same feeling of a friend telling ZUN, who's being overly clingy of his daughter and refusing to let go, "[Touhou] isn't a little girl anymore, She's just about ready to venture out into the world and take on her responsibilities. They can't stay that little forever".

He does see this franchise as his own child after all.

I'm glad that a franchise such as this can allow its fandom to flourish in a huge way, but something must be done if something like this was able to happen.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You can see some cards from the full version of Touhou 18 as well as Stage 4 in a video uploaded by Akiba-Hobby as a PV
Its pretty much the gameplay demo from the title screen a few times

So looks like we've got Ability Cards from Raiko, new girl Mike, other new girl Takane, Miko, Sakuya and Marisa.

Stage 4 looks pretty good, makes me wonder who the Stage 4 boss is gonna be. Maybe a moryo?

Rikarte

Smash Ace
So looks like we've got Ability Cards from Raiko, new girl Mike, other new girl Takane, Miko, Sakuya and Marisa.

Stage 4 looks pretty good, makes me wonder who the Stage 4 boss is gonna be. Maybe a moryo?
Mike's and Takane's cards were already available in the demo. Mike's adds more cards to shops, Takane's lowered the price of cards.

I wonder what Raiko's card is going to do. Maybe shoot out a drum that explodes?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Say if Reimu gets into Smash how would y’all like to watch me play every Windows era Touhou game on my Twitch channel (bullet hell games only)

I’ll probably pick Reimu every time cuz well. It’s to celebrate her getting into Smash :p plus she’s the most newbie friendly character with the homing shots apparently

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Say if Reimu gets into Smash how would y’all like to watch me play every Windows era Touhou game on my Twitch channel (bullet hell games only)

I’ll probably pick Reimu every time cuz well. It’s to celebrate her getting into Smash :p plus she’s the most newbie friendly character with the homing shots apparently
This I'd love to see. Just, ah, don't go insane from the difficulty lol

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
I it me, or do one of the backgrounds shown in the demo play remind me of stage 4 of Touhou 8? I wonder if that stage will be just as hectic, lol.

she’s the most newbie friendly character with the homing shots apparently
Tell me about it...She was the only character I would play as when I was first starting out with the games. I wouldn't even touch the other shottypes. I'm too much of a coward...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Y'know, Reimu's homing shots being the easiest to work with is kinda funny because in the 18 demo, Sanae's focused snakes just immediately go for the closest enemy as soon as it gets on the same row. Even more accurate than Reimu's homing amulets; Just immediately goes for them. Since I've gotten used to Focusing a lot, it's been a boon for me.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Y'know, Reimu's homing shots being the easiest to work with is kinda funny because in the 18 demo, Sanae's focused snakes just immediately go for the closest enemy as soon as it gets on the same row. Even more accurate than Reimu's homing amulets; Just immediately goes for them. Since I've gotten used to Focusing a lot, it's been a boon for me.
What I also find funny was that everyone saw Sakuya's shottype and was immediately dreading to play it because it looked bad. I, however, was dreading it for different reasons. It all started when I played Reimu/Aya's shottype in Touhou 11, and I f***ing HATED it. It was so hard for me to maneuver, especially if you are on low power. Ever since then, I convinced myself that I would hate all aiming shottypes, and when I saw how this one played, I thought I would not have fun with it at all.
(Whoops, I guess I forgot to mention this in my "review" of the game.)

Rikarte

Smash Ace

Even if she doesn't get in you should go for it anyway because the more people play Touhou the better!

Top Bottom