• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
I've been following him since 2018 with his WIP videos of Brambly Boundaries. He's responsible for getting me back into Touhou after 3 years when the full video was released in April 2019. He's like the second coming of ZUN (except Korean)!
Ah, sh*! I'm sorry, I meant to edit my message, but I ended up replying to myself like a dumba*! Damn, I wish I could delete this...😭

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
You mean something like this?

That's why there's also this more traditional Reimu over Palutena mod being worked on as well.

Personally, I'd prefer if Reimu and Marisa were their own characters, just because I think it would align with their series appearances more of having their own separate styles. Also for reasons SharkLord mention, where it might be too complicated. But I do get where GolisoPower is coming from though. Already getting just Reimu in would be a miracle, so it's tempting to try and squeeze as much references out of that one appearance as possible. Because, for Marisa fans, it's a rarity on top of a rarity for Marisa to get in when Reimu's already so hard to put in as is.

But for people who like Marisa, I think a lot of them might not like having Marisa tied to one specific character, especially since it's never happened in the series. For Pyra/Mythra, it makes sense because in-game that's what they do. But for Marisa, with all her appearances as her own protagonist the player can choose from, there's so much moveset potential going for her that tying her to Reimu might be limiting. Even though Marisa getting in as her independent own character is unlikely times unlikely, I think Marisa fans would prefer to still leave that door open. It is a nice idea though and I do like the creativity of it. Which is why I think it's better suited as a mod rather than an official appearance.
Marisa is my favorite 2hu, which is why I'd love to have her as a tag character with Reimu; there is simply no chance of her getting in otherwise! I wouldn't even call it more unlikely, just flat-out impossible. The only third party series we have ever seen double-dip so far (not counting echoes, since Marisa can't be one) is Final Fantasy, and that was for Sephiroth. I love Marisa, but I'm not gonna pretend for a second that she's anywhere near that level; if even series like Sonic, Mega Man, and Metal Gear Solid are still on one rep, there's no way we ever get two Touhou reps! Plus, it would be trivial to separate her from Reimu in the future if they ever wanted to, just like was done with Zelda & Sheik after Brawl.

So, this dropped earlier today
And once again, MinusT shows us that he's the asian guy who is just better than everyone else for 3d animation.
Ahhhhh, this is so hype! I can't wait to see Master Spark.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
"Antinomy of Common Flowers confirmed to be coming westward."

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

And I've heard it uses fan translation

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman

"The game will cost $34.99 on the eShop"
whew lad. That seems a little high doesn't it? iirc the steam version is only $20. Was the porting process really so arduous? I guess so, since it too 3 years. Or maybe this is just accounting for the cuts from Phoenix and Nintendo. Then again, Steam gets a cut themselves. How much did AoCF go for on the comiket/reisaitai floor?

Really my main concern is such a high price point might turn away all but the most die hard fans. I mean, I like AoCF as a fighting game, but if I weren't a touhou fan do like it enough to drop $35 on it? probably not. Hopefully it still does well, but almost zero advertising plus the price point? This'll probably end up pretty niche.

Slightly unrelated, I noticed it's going on sale for the PS4 but not PS5. I'm sure they started development well before dev kits for the PS5 were a thing, but still. Maybe it's not a concern since the PS5 isn't selling well in Japan. Do the systems share a games store?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
whew lad. That seems a little high doesn't it? iirc the steam version is only $20. Was the porting process really so arduous? I guess so, since it too 3 years. Or maybe this is just accounting for the cuts from Phoenix and Nintendo. Then again, Steam gets a cut themselves. How much did AoCF go for on the comiket/reisaitai floor?

Really my main concern is such a high price point might turn away all but the most die hard fans. I mean, I like AoCF as a fighting game, but if I weren't a touhou fan do like it enough to drop $35 on it? probably not. Hopefully it still does well, but almost zero advertising plus the price point? This'll probably end up pretty niche.

Slightly unrelated, I noticed it's going on sale for the PS4 but not PS5. I'm sure they started development well before dev kits for the PS5 were a thing, but still. Maybe it's not a concern since the PS5 isn't selling well in Japan. Do the systems share a games store?
I'm thinking maybe the $35 price tag is gonna be because of bonus content a la Reisen in ULiL. I mean, it's been almost 2 years since we got an announcement for the game on Switch, that feels like more than enough time to add a couple new things like, I dunno, Parsee or Seija or something.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Insert Jeff Goldblum "Well, there it is" and excited Jonah Hill gifs here

Slightly unrelated, I noticed it's going on sale for the PS4 but not PS5. I'm sure they started development well before dev kits for the PS5 were a thing, but still. Maybe it's not a concern since the PS5 isn't selling well in Japan. Do the systems share a games store
They do share a store. Anything you get on PS4 is playable on PS5

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking maybe the $35 price tag is gonna be because of bonus content a la Reisen in ULiL. I mean, it's been almost 2 years since we got an announcement for the game on Switch, that feels like more than enough time to add a couple new things like, I dunno, Parsee or Seija or something.
afaik there's been no mention of extra content. At most, there will be a balance update. Plus, if they were adding new content, don't you think they'd advertise it as a feature? It's what they did with Reisen when ULiL was released for PS4.

Lyncario

Smash Ace

34.99$ on the american e-shop, but 29.99€ on the european e-shop. As usual, Europe keeps winning.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I came across somebody saying it'd be fun to see ZUN make a guest co-host in a potential Mr. Sakurai Presents "Reimu Hakurei". While I find this extremely unlikely given pandemic stuff going 'round, at least an in-person appearance sitting next to Sakurai himself, it'd be enjoyable to have the appearance of the beer-chugging danmaku mastermind himself on the presentation.

Honestly, I feel like they could possibly foreshadow it with it being called "Mr. Sakurai Presents "Reimu Hakurei" with A Special Guest", too.

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
So I came across somebody saying it'd be fun to see ZUN make a guest co-host in a potential Mr. Sakurai Presents "Reimu Hakurei". While I find this extremely unlikely given pandemic stuff going 'round, at least an in-person appearance sitting next to Sakurai himself, it'd be enjoyable to have the appearance of the beer-chugging danmaku mastermind himself on the presentation.

Honestly, I feel like they could possibly foreshadow it with it being called "Mr. Sakurai Presents "Reimu Hakurei" with A Special Guest", too.

Yeah, but because Super Smash Bros. is only "for good boys and girls", they would not allow him to be within a 50ft radius of the vicinity with a beer in his hand, and that is just blasphemy!

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Glad that game iis coming offically in english, and same day at that.

So minusT.... not releated to minus8 right?
I get their names mixed up all the time! It doesn't help that minusT also does...those works...
(I SWEAR, I DON'T ACTIVELY SEEK THOSE OUT! I think saw them on danbooru at some point in time...?)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So, you know how there was that Dark Pit arrow glitch?

Well...

At 1:18, you can see that same glitch occur. And this glitch was apparently from 3 years ago. We still have the headbox glitch with Lucas, but that's one thing shot down.
I mean, it's one of those weird character-specific glitches. Not gonna lead us anywhere until we get someone to tie it back to somehow anyways :drshrug:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, you know how there was that Dark Pit arrow glitch?

Well...

At 1:18, you can see that same glitch occur. And this glitch was apparently from 3 years ago. We still have the headbox glitch with Lucas, but that's one thing shot down.
I thought the headbox glitch was with EVERYONE? Even Jiggs can do it

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I always thought that having a Deka Fumo Reimu sitting next to Sakurai would be hilarious

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
OMG. I've only been on this website for about a month, and I can't believe I didn't know that the layout would change. Where I live, it isn't even April fools yet. I legitimately thought we were being hacked! I feel so stupid....

Wish I can change my name to Cooler's smug grin or something like that. Just for this one occasion. It feels weird having the picture be different while keeping the name Doremy.

Last edited:

Doremy's smug grin

Smash Apprentice
Dang, with the theme this year, makes me wish I made this mod this year instead of last year lol

Though, I did make one this year as well XD
Maybe because so many people thought that Goku would actually have a chance in 2019, and we got DBF as the theme this year, we could get a Grinch theme for next year's April fool's! lol

Now that April fool's is over, I gotta say, It feels so good to be back in my own SKIN AND FLESH!

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Recently, some people are speculating that a bonus fighter (Challenger Pack 12) will release after Fighter's Pass 2. What's everyone's thoughts on it?

Personally, I think it would be pretty funny if this was a last minute addition for Reimu XD

Sakurai: And that concludes Fighter Pass 2. I hope everyone- oh, what's this?
someone walks into the room
ZUN: Sorry to have kept you waiting everyone!
As cool as that would be, Sakurai's gone on record multiple times stating that the last two slots of FP2 will be the end. Until further notice, I'm of the mindset that CP11 is the last fighter of SSBU.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Recently, some people are speculating that a bonus fighter (Challenger Pack 12) will release after Fighter's Pass 2. What's everyone's thoughts on it?

Personally, I think it would be pretty funny if this was a last minute addition for Reimu XD

Sakurai: And that concludes Fighter Pass 2. I hope everyone- oh, what's this?
someone walks into the room
ZUN: Sorry to have kept you waiting everyone!
Look, I don't care whether this is bonus DLC or the announcement of a Fighters Pass 3. At this point, if there's any number of new fighters after the Pass, that be great as far as reaching out to other crowds is concerned.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Look, I don't care whether this is bonus DLC or the announcement of a Fighters Pass 3. At this point, if there's any number of new fighters after the Pass, that be great as far as reaching out to other crowds is concerned.
Orrrrrrrrrrrrr

with the rumors of a potential Super Switch/Switch Plus reveal...

Pass 2 still remains the end of vanilla Ultimate.

yeah, I think you know exactly where I’m going with this... Ultimate Encore for Super Switch

I kinda still think the 91-before-crashing is some kind of hardware thing, and an Encore version could allow for more single player content, modes and the like in addition to the main attraction of characters

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd love more DLC and think it's possible we'll get more, I'm just going to hold off on whether it's actually going to happen until I have a reason to believe it may happen. The new "slot" doesn't give me enough to believe.
Yeah, it's still very much an unknown variable. Remember when we were confused about the slots and Sephiroth before it turned out to be the challenge and earlier release? For all we know, it could just be a DLC boss fight pack.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway if Reimu did get into smash would be based directly off AoCF/the 2hu fighters or would they incorporate some of the bullet hell stuff as well?

maybe even take some slight inspiration from the fan games like Azure Reflections?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Anyway if Reimu did get into smash would be based directly off AoCF/the 2hu fighters or would they incorporate some of the bullet hell stuff as well?

maybe even take some slight inspiration from the fan games like Azure Reflections?
Probably the shooters more than the fighters. Some movements would probably be drawn from the fighting games, but it seems like all the characters in Smash with fighting game spinoffs are more of an original incarnation than a straight adaptation of the fighters. Seeing as the shooters are the true mainline games and are used for the numbering, I think they'd be used as the main basis for her moveset.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

Taking stuff from the fangames is an interesting topic to delve through, and I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to do that to better represent Touhou not just as a game but as a fan phenomenon, although I think he would just take stuff from the mainline games.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If we get any fangame content, I feel like it'd be more of an implied wink wink nudge nudge sorta thing, like with the possible Xeno nods in Pyra and Mythra's alts. Fangames might get a bit complicated in terms of rights and who owns what (Granted, it's not like we have much to base it off of), but it also wouldn't surprise me if we notice a couple similar animations here and there.

Top Bottom