• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Just a general rule to make it easy to understand "If its not from ZUN, its not official."

Welp, we finally got a timeframe for Luna Nights. That's pretty sweet.
You missed a Yukkuri being shown on the big screen of a baseball stadium
wait what-

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
So my question is this: Will Lotus Labyrinth R be localized? I actually really liked Genso Wanderer Reloaded.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yukkuri Reimu is now the new ambassador of Coca Cola. Who can stop her?
LOL!

Characters in this artwork below: Mario, Sonic, Pacman, Megaman, Bomberman, Crash, Rayman, and Banjo.

I noticed that all the characters in the artwork below are more iconic than Reimu except for Banjo.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Yo, just dropping by to tell y'all Marisa has joined her girlfriend Reimu on my drawer ^_^
Those Figma figures are pretty good (and I got them relatively cheaper than I thought they'd be, plushies are WAY too expensive for some reason lmao)
I think I'm only gonna have these two for now even though I'd like to get the Sakuya figure someday as well...
EkHwTKkWsAAsVdH.jpg

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Yo, just dropping by to tell y'all Marisa has joined her girlfriend Reimu on my drawer ^_^
Those Figma figures are pretty good (and I got them relatively cheaper than I thought they'd be, plushies are WAY too expensive for some reason lmao)
I think I'm only gonna have these two for now even though I'd like to get the Sakuya figure someday as well...
View attachment 289050
I think Marisa might merit to be playable as well.

Last edited:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I mean, yesterday I played as Marisa in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and she literally has a KAMEHAMEHA on top of MASTER SPARK
She was legit broken, and I love her even more now (plus I've slowly been watching the fanime Memories of Phantasm on youtube and it's reallly good for being fan made holy crap, I'd love to watch it at a higher resolution though, youtube makes it kinda crusty....)
After Reimu makes it in (hopefully pretty please ^^), I'd hop on the Marisa train within seconds :D

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I mean, yesterday I played as Marisa in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody and she literally has a KAMEHAMEHA on top of MASTER SPARK
She was legit broken, and I love her even more now (plus I've slowly been watching the fanime Memories of Phantasm on youtube and it's reallly good for being fan made holy crap, I'd love to watch it at a higher resolution though, youtube makes it kinda crusty....)
After Reimu makes it in (hopefully pretty please ^^), I'd hop on the Marisa train within seconds :D
A fine addition to my collection.

Join team Marisa!

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Someone should make a Marisa support thread so people can start a movement to get her into Smash. (To be honest, she's the Touhou character I wanna see in Smash Ultimate myself since she has a fun anti-heroic personality from what I've heard of her by both research and playing the shmup spinoff Azure Reflections.)

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
LOL! What are the chances of Marisa leaving the roster if she ever makes it in? I know that Reimu already wouldn't leave.

Someone should make a Marisa support thread so people can start a movement to get her into Smash. (To be honest, she's the Touhou character I wanna see in Smash Ultimate myself since she has a fun anti-heroic personality from what I've heard of her by both research and playing the shmup spinoff Azure Reflections.)
Furthermore, similarly to Bayonetta, I know that there are a plentiful amount of Touhou characters who are obscure but popular.

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I honestly don't know if Reimu or Marisa will always stay in Smash unlike Mario or Link. Heck Snake didn't came back for the 3DS/Wii U Smash even though he has a fanbase. So I think it's kinda premature to assume Reimu will always be in Smash Bros in the future if she makes it this game's 2nd DLC pack. (Although it may be easier to bring her back since since all Sakurai would need to do is give ZUN beer. ;))

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I honestly don't know if Reimu or Marisa will always stay in Smash unlike Mario or Link. Heck Snake didn't came back for the 3DS/Wii U Smash even though he has a fanbase. So I think it's kinda premature to assume Reimu will always be in Smash Bros in the future if she makes it this game's 2nd DLC pack. (Although it may be easier to bring her back since since all Sakurai would need to do is give ZUN beer. ;))
I'm certain that Sonic, Pacman, Megaman, Ryu, Ken (Street Fighter), and Steve (Minecraft) will be playable forever.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I feel like if Reimu got in Smash now, she'd be in a decent position but not extremely so. I could see ZUN being open to Touhou content always, but Nintendo might want a more Nintendo-centric game for Smash 6.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I feel like if Reimu got in Smash now, she'd be in a decent position but not extremely so. I could see ZUN being open to Touhou content always, but Nintendo might want a more Nintendo-centric game for Smash 6.
Could you please explain what you mean by "decent position"?

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
No, that's outstandingly well. I'd place her closer to Terry; Not as big a character or as ingrained into the image of gaming, but easily accessible, so they're easy pickings for Nintendo.
Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Well since Minecraft and Touhou might be the 2 games that have been the most used as a canvas for other artforms, there has always been a lot of minecraft x touhou. I've always thought if there was a fandom that would have more artists and creators than Touhou, it would be Minecraft.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I've been thinking about the fighters we got in Fighters Pass 2 thus far, and I realized: so far, all fighters have drastically broken the usual conventions that make a Smash character. Here's what I mean:

* Min Min: Breaks the rules about Specials and Normals. Min Min is the only character in the Smash Roster to have less than the usual 4 Special Moves that make up a character, as well as the only character to have two separate sets of normals thanks to her arms. She completely shatters the mold on how movesets are made.

* Steve: Breaks the rules about Stages. I might be stretching here with this one but here's the thing: Steve is the only character in Smash whose gimmick and Specials are highly reliant on which stage you pick. He's also the only character in Smash who can actually build on the stage and change its shape, even off-stage.

If Reimu does make it into Smash Bros, and this trend continues, which I admittedly doubt, I imagine Reimu being the next character. But what convention would she break? Well, here's the thing: in the gameplay of all Touhou SHMUPs, there's really only been one method of travel that Reimu is known for: her flying. And Sakurai has been known for being as close to the source material as possible even if it means making them unconventional, with him having to rewrite all 100+ stages for Steve solidifying that sentiment. So if this trend hopefully continues, I would imagine Reimu to break the rule of whether a character is on the ground or in the air, and be the only character who's in a constant mid-air state, maybe even transplanting Steve's build limits (the pink lines we see in Mr. Sakurai Presents "Steve & Alex") and using them as a flight limit. This would not only be a unique take on a character, but it would also be a lot like her appearances in the fighting games from Hopeless Masquerade onwards.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So I've been thinking about the fighters we got in Fighters Pass 2 thus far, and I realized: so far, all fighters have drastically broken the usual conventions that make a Smash character. Here's what I mean:

* Min Min: Breaks the rules about Specials and Normals. Min Min is the only character in the Smash Roster to have less than the usual 4 Special Moves that make up a character, as well as the only character to have two separate sets of normals thanks to her arms. She completely shatters the mold on how movesets are made.

* Steve: Breaks the rules about Stages. I might be stretching here with this one but here's the thing: Steve is the only character in Smash whose gimmick and Specials are highly reliant on which stage you pick. He's also the only character in Smash who can actually build on the stage and change its shape, even off-stage.

If Reimu does make it into Smash Bros, and this trend continues, which I admittedly doubt, I imagine Reimu being the next character. But what convention would she break? Well, here's the thing: in the gameplay of all Touhou SHMUPs, there's really only been one method of travel that Reimu is known for: her flying. And Sakurai has been known for being as close to the source material as possible even if it means making them unconventional, with him having to rewrite all 100+ stages for Steve solidifying that sentiment. So if this trend hopefully continues, I would imagine Reimu to break the rule of whether a character is on the ground or in the air, and be the only character who's in a constant mid-air state, maybe even transplanting Steve's build limits (the pink lines we see in Mr. Sakurai Presents "Steve & Alex") and using them as a flight limit. This would not only be a unique take on a character, but it would also be a lot like her appearances in the fighting games from Hopeless Masquerade onwards.
As cool as that would be, I fear it might rob her of a large portion of her moveset. Maybe we could give her aerial smash attacks, and make her specials into a projectile button rather than a special button, smashes and all. Still, I'd prefer a standard flight mechanic instead. Besides, if all the characters are this complex, it might make things a bit hard on the dev team.

Lyncario

Smash Ace

Eh, I wouldn't be too on about that. Though a bit on that trend, an idea that I had for the Reimu moveset I made a while back was to give Reimu 8 specials instead of 4, to both put all the projectiles she has in the fighting games and to really give the feel of playing a character from a bullet hell, so maybe that could be it.

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
I completely missed the Western Touhou craze and stuff like this makes me feel like I really missed out on something.
jUsT lEaRn jApAneSe nOoB

More seriously though, one of the hardest languages for a native English speaker to learn or something.
I'm having a hard enough time at it, and I primarily spoke Japanese for the first six to seven years of my life lmao.
Really makes me wish my mother had forced me to continue to learn, because unless you're surrounded by others that speak the language/you actively try to keep up, you just stagnate. I can only brokenly talk to my grandparents at this point which is something I definitely want to change

GolisoPower

Smash Master
jUsT lEaRn jApAneSe nOoB

More seriously though, one of the hardest languages for a native English speaker to learn or something.
I'm having a hard enough time at it, and I primarily spoke Japanese for the first six to seven years of my life lmao.
Really makes me wish my mother had forced me to continue to learn, because unless you're surrounded by others that speak the language/you actively try to keep up, you just stagnate. I can only brokenly talk to my grandparents at this point which is something I definitely want to change
Oh, agreed. The hiragana and katakana were easy enough, but kanji? The main reason why it's so difficult IMO. There are some easier ones that are more commonly used like the classic "NANI" kanji, but there are so many others that are more complex so that it's hard to keep track of them all. And don't even get me started on how different they sound when put together with other characters.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
jUsT lEaRn jApAneSe nOoB

I'm learning, but I'm only a year or so into it. My friends are taking it and I've got a great teacher, so it seems to be doing good so far. Some of the kanji are indeed a pain, though.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Someone should make a Marisa support thread so people can start a movement to get her into Smash.
You guys can use this thread for anything Touhou related honestly. Even Marisa "what-if's" for after Reimu would potentially be in.
I think it is much more benifitial to have everything in one place rather than split up and scattered.

all fighters have drastically broken the usual conventions that make a Smash character
I feel like this is just gonna be another one of these made up Smash Speculation Patterns because People read too much into things.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Hello ! I've been lurking in this thread for some time but now, I'm finally posting something !
Just wanted to share that Reimu is one of the three characters I want the most right now (technically 2 now since one of them have been killed during the last direct...)
I've known Touhou since the early 2000s but I've been supporting Reimu for smash only recently (like 5 years ago). The main reason why it took so long for that was because I didn't want the Touhou fanbase to be really toxic due to the Smash fanbase invading it with the inclusion of Reimu (we all know how cancerous this fanbase is...). Now I guess I don't really care anymore
I don't know what's going on for her since I'm not really into speculation but I think she is very likely. If there is any Touhou representation, I honestly think that there is going to be a playable Reimu. Touhou is the most well known and successful indie series ever (if you don't count Minecraft now) so it would make sense if they represent it the way it should be.

(Also since we are advocating other characters like Marisa to be in smash, I'm now supporting Alice, Yukari, Meiling and Koishi)

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Hello ! I've been lurking in this thread for some time but now, I'm finally posting something !
Just wanted to share that Reimu is one of the three characters I want the most right now (technically 2 now since one of them have been killed during the last direct...)
I've known Touhou since the early 2000s but I've been supporting Reimu for smash only recently (like 5 years ago). The main reason why it took so long for that was because I didn't want the Touhou fanbase to be really toxic due to the Smash fanbase invading it with the inclusion of Reimu (we all know how cancerous this fanbase is...). Now I guess I don't really care anymore
I don't know what's going on for her since I'm not really into speculation but I think she is very likely. If there is any Touhou representation, I honestly think that there is going to be a playable Reimu. Touhou is the most well known and successful indie series ever (if you don't count Minecraft now) so it would make sense if they represent it the way it should be.

(Also since we are advocating other characters like Marisa to be in smash, I'm now supporting Alice, Yukari, Meiling and Koishi)
Welcome aboard!
I don't think the western Touhou fandom is that different from any other franchise. It has always had its fair share of toxic morons, Smash wouldn't change this much. Instead of focusing at the negatives we should look at the positives: a ton of new people could also develop genuine love and passion for the series. I think that alone makes it all worth.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Y'know, if Reimu ever gets into Smash, I think I might start up a general Touhou support thread while this one becomes a social thread. Would probably put Marisa, Sakuya, Youmu, Aya, Cirno, Sanae, and Reisen front-and-center due to being the other playable characters. Is there anyone else I should add to the poll in that scenario, or just have a "someone else" option.

Chocosta

Smash Apprentice
Welcome aboard!
I don't think the western Touhou fandom is that different from any other franchise. It has always had its fair share of toxic morons, Smash wouldn't change this much. Instead of focusing at the negatives we should look at the positives: a ton of new people could also develop genuine love and passion for the series. I think that alone makes it all worth.
Yes you're right, every fandom has some **** in it so I guess it can't be helped.
The series is already popular, at least in my country but idk about usa because I don't live there, probably popular on internet with all the memes.
I think that reimu is in the pass and i think she is number 9 so I'm pretty optimistic about the poor shrine maiden. And about reimu, there are rumors that a trademark was made for the hakurei shrine, this could be the time because there was also a trademark for banjo kazooie and we all know what happened ! when the hakurei shrine trademark happened ? if it's recent, then i really think she might be number 9, maybe 8 but i think this number is either waluigi or geno while reimu is 9
damn it ! i said that i'm not into speculation but that's what i'm currently doing right now ! **** !
also sorry if i made mistakes when i'm writing, english is not my native language

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to be negative but there is no way Touhou gets a second character while other big 3rd parties like Sonic still haven't got 2 characters. I must remind you that no 3rd party franchise has yet to get 2 differents characters in smash (echoes don't count), it will be a big deal when that happens. And since echoes won't work for Touhou, it would have to be a full character. That means smash 6 would have to expand the pool by a lot to realistically hope for several Touhou characters.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I don't want to be negative but there is no way Touhou gets a second character while other big 3rd parties like Sonic still haven't got 2 characters. I must remind you that no 3rd party franchise has yet to get 2 differents characters in smash (echoes don't count), it will be a big deal when that happens. And since echoes won't work for Touhou, it would have to be a full character. That means smash 6 would have to expand the pool by a lot to realistically hope for several Touhou characters.
There is no official confirmation that 3rd party franchises are disallowed from getting non-primary reps. So I think it is safe to assume that Tails (Sonic), Ghosts (Pacman), X (Mega Man), etc are still eligible.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I've been listening to some Touhou music lately, and I'm impressed with how great the songs are. I would love for Reimu to join just for the potential of great remixes alone. Plus the character herself is cute and has a lot of moveset potential due to how her games work. Please add me to the supporter list.

Top Bottom