• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Well, this was made, and apparently by very popular request as well. Might take a couple pointers from here for my moveset, though I disagree with some of the stuff drawn from the fangames.
I must say that I like this moveset, even if I agree that taking stuff from fangames is kinda eh since Reimu already has more than enough for a moveset.

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Pretty much agree with you guys. Using fangame original moves and gimmicks as a source is a No-go in my opinion.
Otherwise pretty allright. Im just happy that theres someone making a Reimu for Smash video and made some research on the backgrounds.
I dont get why they said something along the lines of the fangames are pretty much official games? I do notice how he took fangame stuff from games that had a Switch port, so maybe there was some confusion.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Pretty much agree with you guys. Using fangame original moves and gimmicks as a source is a No-go in my opinion.
Otherwise pretty allright. Im just happy that theres someone making a Reimu for Smash video and made some research on the backgrounds.
I dont get why they said something along the lines of the fangames are pretty much official games? I do notice how he took fangame stuff from games that had a Switch port, so maybe there was some confusion.
I agree, I don't think fanmade moves is a good idea despite making interesting movesets.

Not complaining, but I've been curious lately, why hasn't Touhou gotten any official console games in over 20 years since it first debuted? Since 2002, Touhou has been Windows-exclusive.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I agree, I don't think fanmade moves is a good idea despite making interesting movesets.

Not complaining, but I've been curious lately, why hasn't Touhou gotten any official console games in over 20 years since it first debuted? Since 2002, Touhou has been Windows-exclusive.
I'm not an expert, but I'd imagine that ZUN, being a one-man operation, didn't feel inclined to take on the extra work of porting his games to consoles when they were already selling well enough on PC.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah, it might be a little confusing for an outsider. I guess he thought that "On an official platform=Official," for that fangames were a huge part of Touhou (Which they are, to be fair, but Reimu would draw from official games only)

For one, Touhou was on the PC-98 from 1996 to 1998. For another, Urban Legend in Limbo (An official, ZUN-made game, mind you) was ported to the PS4, and it's sequel Antimony of Common Flowers has a PS4 port of it's own underway, with a Switch port being considered as well. It's not really exclusive anymore.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
As someone who has a passive interest in the series, what is the best way to get into it? I know Touhou is mostly PC exclusive but my PC isn't that good and it's quite old. I got a Switch, as well as a PS4 and Xbox One if there happens to be any games on them. I saw that there is a couple games on the Switch, are any of them bullet hell games? How are they?

And I have to ask: How do you pronounce Touhou? Is it tow-oo, too-how? Let me know because this is bothering me.

One thing I can say is that I have looked up a lot of the music and wow there are a lot of songs, and many of them are bangers too.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I know Touhou is mostly PC exclusive
I've mentioned that too.

And I have to ask: How do you pronounce Touhou? Is it tow-oo, too-how? Let me know because this is bothering me.
It's pronounced Toh-Hoh. Not Too-hoo

I'm not an expert, but I'd imagine that ZUN, being a one-man operation, didn't feel inclined to take on the extra work of porting his games to consoles when they were already selling well enough on PC.
What would've happened if Touhou got console games in the 2000s-early 2010s?

For one, Touhou was on the PC-98 from 1996 to 1998. For another, Urban Legend in Limbo (An official, ZUN-made game, mind you) was ported to the PS4, and it's sequel Antimony of Common Flowers has a PS4 port of it's own underway, with a Switch port being considered as well. It's not really exclusive anymore.
I think that Touhou could potentially cultivate significant console game history in the near future.

I do think once people learn more about Touhou and how surprisingly influential it was for being a silly Doujin bullet hell series, they will welcome Reimu with open arms, like how Terrys gameplay reveal had history on SNK as a whole which swayed uninformed peoples minds.
Not to mention, was Touhou the first indie videogame franchise ever? I know it predates Shantae.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
As someone who has a passive interest in the series, what is the best way to get into it? I know Touhou is mostly PC exclusive but my PC isn't that good and it's quite old. I got a Switch, as well as a PS4 and Xbox One if there happens to be any games on them. I saw that there is a couple games on the Switch, are any of them bullet hell games? How are they?

One thing I can say is that I have looked up a lot of the music and wow there are a lot of songs, and many of them are bangers too.
So far I haven't actually played a Touhou game, which is ironic since I'm the guy who keeps advocating for Reimu. So far, I mainly inject Touhou songs into my ears on a daily basis, be it official or fanmade. I've gotten to the point where I can recognize an alarming amount of Touhou songs based on the tune alone, even if I can't remember the name at first.

There's a bunch of games on Steam, including 12 official ones. One of the fighters might be easier to get into first. Azure Reflections is a game on the Switch that looks a bit easier to get into compared to the official games, but I'm only guessing based on what little knowledge I have.

Also, it's Toh-hoh. Same as the guys who make Godzilla movies.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

I only got into the Touhou games in February this year, but I can say that I suggest you start with Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, the sixth overall game and the first Windows game. It's easy enough to understand, and even though there are only two characters to play as (as opposed to the three total at least, with PoFV having 16 playable characters total), you should get a good idea of later installments with this.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I only got into the Touhou games in February this year, but I can say that I suggest you start with Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, the sixth overall game and the first Windows game. It's easy enough to understand, and even though there are only two characters to play as (as opposed to the three total at least, with PoFV having 16 playable characters total), you should get a good idea of later installments with this.
I'd like to add on that from a gameplay perspective, Hidden Star in Four Seasons and Wily Beast and Weakest Creature are among the easiest games in the series according to ZUN himself, so they're a good way to get into the games if you're worried about difficulty.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to add on that from a gameplay perspective, Hidden Star in Four Seasons and Wily Beast and Weakest Creature are among the easiest games in the series according to ZUN himself, so they're a good way to get into the games if you're worried about difficulty.
I'd like to disagree with the notion that HSiFS is one of the easiest games. It's only easy if you know how to abuse releases, which most new players won't. In terms of danmaku, it's actually very difficult from stage 4 and onwards, with Okina in particular having some of the trickiest spellcards in the series (ESPECIALLY the Spring Final). I mean, it's still a very good game and isn't "unforgiving" like UFO or LoLK, so I wouldn't fault anyone for starting there (in fact it's my favourite Touhou game lol), but it's definitely not one of the easiest for beginners. WBaWC tho? Yeah, that one's pathetically easy.

Personally in terms of starting games, I'd recommend MoF. This is for a couple reasons. The first is that it's the first game in the "modern" era of Touhou, where ZUN really started to refine the gameplay. Not to mention that the story of the previous games is really self contained and you don't really need to play them to understand what's going on. The other reason is that it's a very forgiving game, but not to the point where it throws resources at you like candy like in WBaWC, or has pathetic excuses for danmaku like in TD. Tying bombs to power is a good way to get a new player used to the fact that bombs need to be used at pivotal moments and not just willy nilly, as it will penalise them for bombspamming. At the same time, however, they get a lot more bombs that they can use than in the other games, and even a free bomb at 5.00 power that doesn't drop their power at all. This is good for getting them to actually use the bombs in the first place and not just hold onto them forever thinking that it's a good idea to save them for later (a "later" which might not even come). A lot of people complain about the bomb system in MoF and SA, but that's mainly because they're just used to the other bombs and don't like dropping power to use them. However, if a new player starts with those bombs and moves over to the more traditional bombs later, it transitions much more easily.

Plus MoF has a killer soundtrack even for a Touhou game, lol.

Last edited:

Narp

Smash Cadet
There's a bunch of games on Steam, including 12 official ones. One of the fighters might be easier to get into first. Azure Reflections is a game on the Switch that looks a bit easier to get into compared to the official games, but I'm only guessing based on what little knowledge I have.
Azure Reflections is a more forgiving game for sure. It also plays a little different from the official games, scrolling horizontally, and it has a bunch of cool customizations to make the game easier or even harder, if I remember right. It's available on most major platforms now.

gavtel

Smash Cadet

As mentioned already, EoSD is a good start for the series' lore / gameplay as a whole but you could just read up on it along with the other early Touhou games. Not to mention, it's going to be a bit hard getting a hold of those earlier games, since ZUN hasn't ported them to Steam yet (and has mentioned that he might not port EoSD due to the FPS bugs (it runs at hundreds of frames per second / fast forward mode on Windows 10) in multiple interviews (both when he started porting them to Steam and in an interview a few months ago).

Of the games I've played (haven't played 12-14 or the full game for 16 and 17), PCB was the easiest for me with Sakuya A (normal shot is spread for dealing with lots of enemies, while focused (hold Shift) aims them all at one enemy for more damage (good for taking out tougher enemies and bosses)). The games get difficult around Stage 4 but in PCB, it's a lot easier than EoSD and IN's if you don't fire at all the spinning enemies (the white spiky fuzzball enemies), as some of them spawn in bullets when defeated (if one in a line spawns them, the rest will so that's a good way to test it). EoSD's is a bullet spam no matter what you do (too many bullet spawning spellbooks) and IN has an obnoxious chase segment during the boss that's just there to screw you over. Not to mention, you can play the entirety of PCB on Easy and still get a Good Ending / Extra Stage if you don't use a continue (though in the case of the Extra Stage, it's because there's Phantasm Stage as well), unlike most other games where it forces you to play on Normal to get a Good Ending / play the whole game (EoSD doesn't let you go past Stage 5 on Easy) so it's pretty good to new players in that sense too. Unfortunately, it's among those earlier titles that haven't been ported to Steam yet (though ZUN has said it's possible for PCB and IN to get past the Steam QA team so we could see them pretty soon).

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'd like to disagree with the notion that HSiFS is one of the easiest games. It's only easy if you know how to abuse releases, which most new players won't. In terms of danmaku, it's actually very difficult from stage 4 and onwards, with Okina in particular having some of the trickiest spellcards in the series (ESPECIALLY the Spring Final). I mean, it's still a very good game and isn't "unforgiving" like UFO or LoLK, so I wouldn't fault anyone for starting there (in fact it's my favourite Touhou game lol), but it's definitely not one of the easiest for beginners. WBaWC tho? Yeah, that one's pathetically easy.

Personally in terms of starting games, I'd recommend MoF. This is for a couple reasons. The first is that it's the first game in the "modern" era of Touhou, where ZUN really started to refine the gameplay. Not to mention that the story of the previous games is really self contained and you don't really need to play them to understand what's going on. The other reason is that it's a very forgiving game, but not to the point where it throws resources at you like candy like in WBaWC, or has pathetic excuses for danmaku like in TD. Tying bombs to power is a good way to get a new player used to the fact that bombs need to be used at pivotal moments and not just willy nilly, as it will penalise them for bombspamming. At the same time, however, they get a lot more bombs that they can use than in the other games, and even a free bomb at 5.00 power that doesn't drop their power at all. This is good for getting them to actually use the bombs in the first place and not just hold onto them forever thinking that it's a good idea to save them for later (a "later" which might not even come). A lot of people complain about the bomb system in MoF and SA, but that's mainly because they're just used to the other bombs and don't like dropping power to use them. However, if a new player starts with those bombs and moves over to the more traditional bombs later, it transitions much more easily.

Plus MoF has a killer soundtrack even for a Touhou game, lol.
I'll be a bit of a contrarian and state that I wouldn't play MoF for my first game because while it absolutely is friendly to beginners & has a killer OST, MoF's "bombs" are very visually underwhelming. For me, bombs are one of my favorite parts of the series (there's nothing like hearing the BWOOOOOMMMMMMM of a Master Spark) so I always find that very disappointing. From a gameplay perspective it's absolutely very accessible, though!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, today I decided to get WBaWC off of Steam, and I downloaded the patch center to get it translated.

I'm... Not very experienced with it. Even with Easy Mode's surprising amount of continues, I was still knocked around pretty badly. At least I got to the last stage before running out of continues, but still.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Welp, today I decided to get WBaWC off of Steam, and I downloaded the patch center to get it translated.

I'm... Not very experienced with it. Even with Easy Mode's surprising amount of continues, I was still knocked around pretty badly. At least I got to the last stage before running out of continues, but still.
You may already be doing it, but make sure you're playing Otter if you're not. Otter bombs are ridiculous.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I can't decide which version of "The Ground's Color is Yellow" I like more. I like both the SWR and the AoCF version.
They both have their appeal, the AoCF version has more instruments on top and has a faster pace in general, but the SWR version has a simpler tone with less instruments to its advantage, plus, I'd say it's more of a theme you'd hear in a battle near a shrine. I personally lean more towards the SWR version but the AoCF one is great too. Generally the remixes in AoCF and other fighters are pretty good.

Top Bottom