• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
I sometimes feel like forcing too many gimmicks on Reimu would be unecessary. I dont think you need Grazing or Point Systems.
Most of the time in the official Touhou fighting games they also dont need to rely on the Danmaku games features and gimmicks either.

Edit: gonna add this here

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I sometimes feel like forcing too many gimmicks on Reimu would be unecessary. I dont think you need Grazing or Point Systems.
Most of the time in the official Touhou fighting games they also dont need to rely on the Danmaku games features and gimmicks either.

Yeah, I'm kinda stuck between cool gimmicks and a more simplistic moveset. The thing is that Smash tends to lean closer to the source material, so I'm not sure if I want to base Reimu's moveset off the mainline games, the fighters, both, or something simpler. I'm thinking a Graze-based power meter and flight should be enough, around Terry's level of complexity, but I'm not sure.

The other thing is that I want to implement Grazing in some way, but I also want that to have some sort of reward, so I have to implement the Power mechanic in order to make it do something. I was also considering a small amount of healing to make up for a shrunken hitbox and taking double damage, but that sounded irritating to play as and against.

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking for some time about how Reimu's moveset could be and how much it could bring from the Touhou Games, besides the obvious use of projectiles. So in the end I've came up with a way of using quite a lot of Touhou mechanics, namely : Graze, Power and Bombs

Graze :
Up B is a Rob-like recovery but you can angle in every direction and it makes Reimu ignore projectiles. In the end, it's quite similar to Ness down B, except you can move and projectiles aren't absorbed, they pass through.

Power :
Power allows her projectile attacks (probably neutral B and side B) to fire more projectiles. She starts a stock with max power and lose Power when taking damage. Grazing allows Reimu to gain some power back, air dodges and spot dodges also count as Grazing. This implementation of power mainly acts as a reverse rage, so it would be kind of new. It could also work directly with % value, like losing 1 power every 25%, and Graze would heal % back.
Also, Reimu should be the lightest character of the game to reflect the one hp nature of the games, so healing a bit of damage wouldn't be so broken as death would always be potentially close.

Bombs :
Down B is a bomb-like move, but mainly the defensive use of the bomb, the panic move when you are close to dying. It's a frame 0 move that interrupt in all direction and does very little damage, a bit like the talisman card in Soku, so its use is to prevent kill confirms or other imminent deaths. It should have a big recovery time, so it's heavily punishable if you don't hit with it. Just like in the games, you have a limited amount of bombs per stock (maybe 2), exactly like the Banjo move, so you should use it before dying.

I believe the mechanics of Touhou would be quite well represented with these 3 things, even shmups mechanics to some extent. They should also be pretty simple to implement, compared to some overcomplicated movesets I've seen around.

The rest would be quite standard moves, with neutral B and side B as projectiles, homing ones and non-homing ones, maybe using smash inputs to makes differents projectiles, and they benefit from power. Tilt attacks and aerials would be physical moves, smash attacks would be close-range magical moves.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I've been thinking for some time about how Reimu's moveset could be and how much it could bring from the Touhou Games, besides the obvious use of projectiles. So in the end I've came up with a way of using quite a lot of Touhou mechanics, namely : Graze, Power and Bombs

Graze :
Up B is a Rob-like recovery but you can angle in every direction and it makes Reimu ignore projectiles. In the end, it's quite similar to Ness down B, except you can move and projectiles aren't absorbed, they pass through.

Power :
Power allows her projectile attacks (probably neutral B and side B) to fire more projectiles. She starts a stock with max power and lose Power when taking damage. Grazing allows Reimu to gain some power back, air dodges and spot dodges also count as Grazing. This implementation of power mainly acts as a reverse rage, so it would be kind of new. It could also work directly with % value, like losing 1 power every 25%, and Graze would heal % back.
Also, Reimu should be the lightest character of the game to reflect the one hp nature of the games, so healing a bit of damage wouldn't be so broken as death would always be potentially close.

Bombs :
Down B is a bomb-like move, but mainly the defensive use of the bomb, the panic move when you are close to dying. It's a frame 0 move that interrupt in all direction and does very little damage, a bit like the talisman card in Soku, so its use is to prevent kill confirms or other imminent deaths. It should have a big recovery time, so it's heavily punishable if you don't hit with it. Just like in the games, you have a limited amount of bombs per stock (maybe 2), exactly like the Banjo move, so you should use it before dying.

I believe the mechanics of Touhou would be quite well represented with these 3 things, even shmups mechanics to some extent. They should also be pretty simple to implement, compared to some overcomplicated movesets I've seen around.

The rest would be quite standard moves, with neutral B and side B as projectiles, homing ones and non-homing ones, maybe using smash inputs to makes differents projectiles, and they benefit from power. Tilt attacks and aerials would be physical moves, smash attacks would be close-range magical moves.
Focusing as an Up B was something I considered, but I wanted to keep the Ascension Kick and a more free range of movement, so she'd be a fighter who would ideally spend most of the time in the air, zoning and poking from a distance. I also considered a move that would help her fill her Power Meter more easily, since Cloud and Joker have that so it doesn't take forever to fill up. I'm considering having her absorb projectiles with a barrier Down B, which would also function as a standard barrier move.

Basically, an expanded version of Peach's Float and a staggered version of Joker's meter.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

I agree! The beauty of Reimu's extensive fighting game appearances is that she doesn't in any way need a gimmick to be compelling, as her moveset potential is already so rich. They'd probably give her something, but she definitely doesn't need it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I agree! The beauty of Reimu's extensive fighting game appearances is that she doesn't in any way need a gimmick to be compelling, as her moveset potential is already so rich. They'd probably give her something, but she definitely doesn't need it.
I mean, technically nobody needs a gimmick. It's just that Some characters would have mechanics that translate better to a gimmick than others. I also feel like Reimu would draw more from the mainline games rather than the fighters, at least in terms of mechanics. The fighters would probably be used to fill out her normals, and give some pointers as to how the shooter projectiles and flight would work.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I mean, technically nobody needs a gimmick. It's just that Some characters would have mechanics that translate better to a gimmick than others. I also feel like Reimu would draw more from the mainline games rather than the fighters, at least in terms of mechanics. The fighters would probably be used to fill out her normals, and give some pointers as to how the shooter projectiles and flight would work.
I mean, to be fair, we all kinda thought Joker would take some cues from Persona 4 Arena, but then it turned out to not be the case. Not saying Reimu will be taking nothing from the official Touhou fighters, but just wanna point out that Sakurai could go a different route from the fighters and SHMUPS.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, to be fair, we all kinda thought Joker would take some cues from Persona 4 Arena, but then it turned out to not be the case. Not saying Reimu will be taking nothing from the official Touhou fighters, but just wanna point out that Sakurai could go a different route from the fighters and SHMUPS.
Yeah, and K. Rool made the belly armor a big part of his moveset despite that not coming up very much. But thanks for pointing out Joker; I was wondering if there was any third-parties with a fighting game spinoff that Smash could use as a base. Joker was his own interpretation rather than drawing elements from the Persona fighting game, mainly being based on the theme of striking back at the cruel higher-ups after being beaten down. I'd imagine Reimu would be be mainly based on the shooters or her "Floating through life" aspect rather than the fighters.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, I've always hated the idea of a "Graze Meter". Not only is it not accurate to literally any Touhou game (the absolute closest you'll get is in SA where grazing a lot of bullets at once causes an autocollect, or in GFW, where grazing will charge your freeze a little faster), but in every case where I've seen someone suggest it in their movesets, it just feels tacked on and doesn't jive well with the rest of the moveset at all. Gimmicks are fine, but only when they work well. Having a gimmick for the sake of having a gimmick really doesn't sit right with me.

Personally I think that the most that grazing should be in a game like Smash would be projectile immunity during certain actions such as dashing. Any more and it just goes to crap.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Ugh, I've always hated the idea of a "Graze Meter". Not only is it not accurate to literally any Touhou game (the absolute closest you'll get is in SA where grazing a lot of bullets at once causes an autocollect, or in GFW, where grazing will charge your freeze a little faster), but in every case where I've seen someone suggest it in their movesets, it just feels tacked on and doesn't jive well with the rest of the moveset at all. Gimmicks are fine, but only when they work well. Having a gimmick for the sake of having a gimmick really doesn't sit right with me.

Personally I think that the most that grazing should be in a game like Smash would be projectile immunity during certain actions such as dashing. Any more and it just goes to crap.
To be fair, Smash takes some liberties when adapting the movesets. I think the biggest example would be Joker's Rebellion Gauge, since there is no gauge like that in any Persona game; It's more to simulate the feeling of awakening your Persona, but you wouldn't know that by looking at some gameplay clips. There's also the fact that Cloud can't manually charge the Limit Gauge, nor does it fill up by attack enemies.
It's mostly that Grazing is a big part of Touhou gameplay, and that's something I wanted to represent. In theory, it would be a translation of how Grazing in Touhou is risky, but helps a lot in getting a high score. But you're right, it is rather awkwardly-implemented. Maybe she just has the Graze sound effects play whenever an attack whiffs?

I've also seen a concept for Reimu having an autododge because of how dodge-heavy Touhou is; I'd make it her shield, but that would severely clash with the gameplay, or maybe have it as a down special, but I already planned out her special list as Hakurei Amulet, Persuasion Needle, Ascension Kick, and Cautionary Border, and I feel like those are major parts of her moveset. Maybe give the needles as her flurry attack, move Cautionary Border to her side special, and give her an autododge as a down special?

EDIT: How's this sound? Her major gimmick is flight, which replaces her air dodge. As a result, her forward and back airs are Youkai Buster and Cautionary Border, since she's meant to be airborne most of the time. She can also destroy projectiles when dashing.
Her neutral special would be Hakurei Amulet as a chargeable homing projectile. Her side special is Persuasion Needle as a slow, setup-based projectile. Her up special is Ascension Kick as a so-so recovery move but one of her few kill moves, since she can fly. Her down special is Focus, which makes her automatically dodge projectiles while the button is held.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Well to be fair, in the Touhou fighters Reimu is supposed to be an easy to understand allrounder since she's the main character. In Smash though, she wouldn't just be representing Touhou but the genre of Shmups as a whole. It would make sense to give her a special mechanic to undermine that.
Not to mention that she'd be a paid DLC character, they'd probably at least give her something in order to make her stick out.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Well to be fair, in the Touhou fighters Reimu is supposed to be an easy to understand allrounder since she's the main character. In Smash though, she wouldn't just be representing Touhou but the genre of Shmups as a whole. It would make sense to give her a special mechanic to undermine that.
Not to mention that she'd be a paid DLC character, they'd probably at least give her something in order to make her stick out.
Even so, I feel like Reimu's appearance in the fighting games (especially AoCF) is probably just about as good as a representation you'll get for her. I implore some of you to play AoCF and to mess around with Reimu in training a little bit, and get used to how she feels. She's a very fast and mobile character (not quite to the same extent as Marisa, Futo, and Shinmyoumaru, but still quite high up there) with some good strong melee attacks, and bullets that cover a large amount of space. One especially defining feature of Reimu in the fighting games is that she always has some kind of barrier move that stays out on the field and makes life hard for the opponent (which is definitely a must-have for a Smash moveset). Other iconic Reimu attacks are the homing Hakurei Amulet, the teleporting kick Dimensional Rift, the Guile-style Ascension Kick, and of course the classic Youkai Buster.

Yes, she's an all-rounder, but she's only an all-rounder in the context of that game. Translate something like that into Smash and you'll end up with a pretty unique and fun character without even needing to resort to special character-specific gimmicks. If they were to add a special gimmick, tho, I think grazing should be the least of the priorities. The only gimmick Reimu needs is something to represent the higher level of mobility those games have, with the obvious choice being flight. Simply replace Reimu's doublejump with a freeform flight mechanic that she can use a couple times before landing, and bam, history made.

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
So are we expecting something for the indie Direct ? We still have some games waiting for switch ports at least.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I agree that they'd be likely to give her a gimmick! With that said, I think that people in roster speculation circles tend to overrate how Sakurai sees characters as "representing" a particular genre. If Reimu gets in, it will be as a Touhou character, not a shmup rep, and whatever bullet hell gimmicks she might have would simply reflect the fact that Touhou is a bullet hell series.

It's certainly possible, but IMO quite a different situation as Joker had never appeared in any fighting games, while Reimu has appeared in half a dozen. If Joker had actually appeared in a Persona fighting game, we would probably have seen some moves from that in Smash. There's a big difference between that and grabbing mechanics from a game that just happens to share the same franchise as Joker.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, let's see how I did with this one. I was mainly basing her off of the shooters, using the fighting games as guidance for her normals and how to translate her attacks from the shooters to Smash. Something of note is that I was actually trying to avoid using her gohei too much, to give a feeling of detachment, much like Reimu herself.
Gimmicks:
  • Flight-Pressing the shield button in the air will cause Reimu to hover in the air for a short amount of time, enough to travel the length of two Bowsers. Reimu can freely move and attack while flying, giving her great aerial mobiliy and versatility. However, due to the input for flight being shielding in the air, Reimu cannot air dodge.
  • Air Dash-Reimu is able to dash in the air. Unlike on the ground, the air dash is a quick burst forward rather than a continuous rush.
  • Grazing-When Reimu is dashing or dodging, she is in a Graze state. During this state, any projectiles that come in contact with her or the space around her will be destroyed. It should also be noted that the field around her will only destroy weak projectiles, while Reimu herself is needed to destroy stronger projectiles. Especially powerful projectiles like Robin's Thoron and Villager's Tree cannot be destroyed.
Ground Moves:
  • Jab: A quick slap, followed by a kick, and then a quick gohei poke. Based on her 5A combo from Hisoutensoku.
    • Flurry Attack: A spray of Persuasion Needles, followed by Reimu sending her Yin-Yang Orbs forward to hit the opponent.
  • Foward Tilt: A long-range gohei poke. Based on her far 5A from Hisoutensoku.
  • Up Tilt: An upwards gohei swing.
  • Down Tilt: Reimu spins her gohei on the ground. Based on her 2A from Hisoutensoku.
  • Dash Attack: A sliding kick. Pressing the button again causes Reimu to transition into a flip kick. Based on her sliding kick from Highly Responsive to Prayers.
    • Air Dash Attack: A flying kick. Based on her jumping 6A from Antimony of Common Flowers.
  • Forward Smash: A horizontal gohei swing. Based on her 6A from Antimony of Common Flowers.
  • Up Smash - Amulet Chain: Reimu puts her hands on the ground and creates a chain of amulets above her. Based on her 2C from Hisoutensoku.
  • Down Smash: Reimu creates a pair of borders around herself. Not very good offensively, and is mostly used for defense.
Air Moves:
  • Neutral Aerial: Reimu's Yin-Yang Orbs orbit around her.
  • Forward Aerial - Youkai Buster: Reimu sends a trio of purple talismans forward. While weak, they are fast and travel a good distance, making them a cornerstone of Reimu's moveset.
  • Back Aerial: Reimu whirls around and swings her gohei behind her. Much like in Touhou, Reimu is meant to be facing the opponent most of the time, so her back air is rather weak and slow. Based on her jumping 5A from Antimony of Common Flowers.
  • Up Aerial: Reimu waves her gohei above her head thrice. It's decent damage, good range, and duration make it ideal for juggles.
  • Down Aerial: A downwards kick that makes Reimu travel a decent distance downwards, but isn't a true stall-then-fall move. Based on her 2A from Antimony of Common Flowers.
Throws:
  • Grab: Reimu traps the opponent between a pair of borders.
  • Pummel: A gohei poke.
  • Forward Throw: Reimu strikes the opponent with her Yin-Yang Orbs.
  • Back Throw: Reimu transform her borders into gaps, dropping her opponent behind her.
  • Up Throw: Reimu throws an amulet beneath the opponent, which explodes, sending them upwards.
  • Down Throw: Reimu strikes the opponent on the head with her gohei. Based on the execution of the fortune teller in Forbidden Scrollery.
Specials:
  • Neutral Special - Hakurei Amulet: Reimu sends out an amulet that homes in on opponents. Can be charged to make it faster, stronger, and home in more accurately.
  • Side Special - Persuasion Needle: Reimu throws out a red throwing needle. Slow, and best used for setups.
  • Up Special - Ascension Kick: A rising flip kick. Due to Reimu's outstanding aerial mobility, this is only a so-so recovery move. However,m it is one of Reimu's few kill moves, making it vital to her moveset.
  • Down Special - Cautionary Border: Reimu throws out a border that travels forward. Anyone who touches it takes minor damage, and all attacks are blocked, making it great for stage control.
  • Final Smash - Fantasy Seal: Reimu creates a storm of multicolor orbs that home in on opponents, dealing damage all over the stage. Think of it like PK Starstorm meets Hyper Rocketbarrel.
    • Alternative Final Smash - Fantasy Nature: If Reimu's opponent is at 70% or higher, she will send out a burst of energy and talismans across the stage, dealing massive damage and instantly killing anyone over 100%. The Fantasy Nature theme from Hisoutensoku will start playing, and will continue to do so if she wins with this attack.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Welp, let's see how I did with this one. I was mainly basing her off of the shooters, using the fighting games as guidance for her normals and how to translate her attacks from the shooters to Smash. Something of note is that I was actually trying to avoid using her gohei too much, to give a feeling of detachment, much like Reimu herself.
Gimmicks:
  • Flight-Pressing the shield button in the air will cause Reimu to hover in the air for a short amount of time, enough to travel the length of two Bowsers. Reimu can freely move and attack while flying, giving her great aerial mobiliy and versatility. However, due to the input for flight being shielding in the air, Reimu cannot air dodge.
  • Air Dash-Reimu is able to dash in the air. Unlike on the ground, the air dash is a quick burst forward rather than a continuous rush.
  • Grazing-When Reimu is dashing or dodging, she is in a Graze state. During this state, any projectiles that come in contact with her or the space around her will be destroyed. It should also be noted that the field around her will only destroy weak projectiles, while Reimu herself is needed to destroy stronger projectiles. Especially powerful projectiles like Robin's Thoron and Villager's Tree cannot be destroyed.
Ground Moves:
  • Jab: A quick slap, followed by a kick, and then a quick gohei poke. Based on her 5A combo from Hisoutensoku.
    • Flurry Attack: A spray of Persuasion Needles, followed by Reimu sending her Yin-Yang Orbs forward to hit the opponent.
  • Foward Tilt: A long-range gohei poke. Based on her far 5A from Hisoutensoku.
  • Up Tilt: An upwards gohei swing.
  • Down Tilt: Reimu spins her gohei on the ground. Based on her 2A from Hisoutensoku.
  • Dash Attack: A sliding kick. Pressing the button again causes Reimu to transition into a flip kick. Based on her sliding kick from Highly Responsive to Prayers.
    • Air Dash Attack: A flying kick. Based on her jumping 6A from Antimony of Common Flowers.
  • Forward Smash: A horizontal gohei swing. Based on her 6A from Antimony of Common Flowers.
  • Up Smash - Amulet Chain: Reimu puts her hands on the ground and creates a chain of amulets above her. Based on her 2C from Hisoutensoku.
  • Down Smash: Reimu creates a pair of borders around herself. Not very good offensively, and is mostly used for defense.
Air Moves:
  • Neutral Aerial: Reimu's Yin-Yang Orbs orbit around her.
  • Forward Aerial - Youkai Buster: Reimu sends a trio of purple talismans forward. While weak, they are fast and travel a good distance, making them a cornerstone of Reimu's moveset.
  • Back Aerial: Reimu whirls around and swings her gohei behind her. Much like in Touhou, Reimu is meant to be facing the opponent most of the time, so her back air is rather weak and slow. Based on her jumping 5A from Antimony of Common Flowers.
  • Up Aerial: Reimu waves her gohei above her head thrice. It's decent damage, good range, and duration make it ideal for juggles.
  • Down Aerial: A downwards kick that makes Reimu travel a decent distance downwards, but isn't a true stall-then-fall move. Based on her 2A from Antimony of Common Flowers.
Throws:
  • Grab: Reimu traps the opponent between a pair of borders.
  • Pummel: A gohei poke.
  • Forward Throw: Reimu strikes the opponent with her Yin-Yang Orbs.
  • Back Throw: Reimu transform her borders into gaps, dropping her opponent behind her.
  • Up Throw: Reimu throws an amulet beneath the opponent, which explodes, sending them upwards.
  • Down Throw: Reimu strikes the opponent on the head with her gohei. Based on the execution of the fortune teller in Forbidden Scrollery.
Specials:
  • Neutral Special - Hakurei Amulet: Reimu sends out an amulet that homes in on opponents. Can be charged to make it faster, stronger, and home in more accurately.
  • Side Special - Persuasion Needle: Reimu throws out a red throwing needle. Slow, and best used for setups.
  • Up Special - Ascension Kick: A rising flip kick. Due to Reimu's outstanding aerial mobility, this is only a so-so recovery move. However,m it is one of Reimu's few kill moves, making it vital to her moveset.
  • Down Special - Cautionary Border: Reimu throws out a border that travels forward. Anyone who touches it takes minor damage, and all attacks are blocked, making it great for stage control.
  • Final Smash - Fantasy Seal: Reimu creates a storm of multicolor orbs that home in on opponents, dealing damage all over the stage. Think of it like PK Starstorm meets Hyper Rocketbarrel.
    • Alternative Final Smash - Fantasy Nature: If Reimu's opponent is at 70% or higher, she will send out a burst of energy and talismans across the stage, dealing massive damage and instantly killing anyone over 100%. The Fantasy Nature theme from Hisoutensoku will start playing, and will continue to do so if she wins with this attack.
I like it! Pretty nice to have loss of Air Dodge as a tradeoff for Flight. I'm not sure they'd do that but it sounds like a nice mechanic to add.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I like it! Pretty nice to have loss of Air Dodge as a tradeoff for Flight. I'm not sure they'd do that but it sounds like a nice mechanic to add.
Yeah, I would have made it a extra jump like with Peach and Daisy, but I felt that holding the shield button down would be more comfortable, especially with her increased aerial mobility.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
They probably wouldn't do that because that would make her hard-countered by many melee-based combos that are only avoidable by air dodging.
I mean, she at least has an air dash to help out with that, right? That and a barrier, so she'd be designed to stay away from those melee combos in the first place, but falling apart when you actually get to her. Y'know, like an actual bullet hell shooter.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I mean, she at least has an air dash to help out with that, right? That and a barrier, so she'd be designed to stay away from those melee combos in the first place, but falling apart when you actually get to her. Y'know, like an actual bullet hell shooter.
In my mind's eye, I see her as a fighting game character type known as a "pixie". In fighting games, a pixie character (Like Kid Goku in DBFZ or Charlotta in GranBlue VS or even Pichu in Smash Ultimate) is an exceptionally mobile rushdown character of a tiny stature who can avoid a good chunk of enemy attacks and are generally frail.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
In my mind's eye, I see her as a fighting game character type known as a "pixie". In fighting games, a pixie character (Like Kid Goku in DBFZ or Charlotta in GranBlue VS or even Pichu in Smash Ultimate) is an exceptionally mobile rushdown character of a tiny stature who can avoid a good chunk of enemy attacks and are generally frail.
Yeah, that would make sense. I considered giving her a small hitbox like in the Touhou games, but I decided against it on the basis that it would be annoying to get a hang of when playing as her and a pain to deal with when playing against her.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Yeah, that would make sense. I considered giving her a small hitbox like in the Touhou games, but I decided against it on the basis that it would be annoying to get a hang of when playing as her and a pain to deal with when playing against her.
A while back I had the idea of replacing her usual Shield button with a "Focus Mode", which shrunk her hitbox down to Pikmin sizes and made it easier to avoid attacks at the cost of reducing her mobility. If Reimu was hit in this state, she would take double damage and suffer from "Focus Break", which is an unconventional type of shield break much like K. Rool's belly. I'm not sure if that could work, but it was just an idea.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
A while back I had the idea of replacing her usual Shield button with a "Focus Mode", which shrunk her hitbox down to Pikmin sizes and made it easier to avoid attacks at the cost of reducing her mobility. If Reimu was hit in this state, she would take double damage and suffer from "Focus Break", which is an unconventional type of shield break much like K. Rool's belly. I'm not sure if that could work, but it was just an idea.
Yeah, I mentioned that over on a Discord channel once. The general agreement is that it would be bad for her defensive game, since it would rob her of the universal defensive option and would be useless against stuff like Ganondorf's forward smash. It would be bit too awkward to play.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I mean, she at least has an air dash to help out with that, right?
I guess it works if the air dash has the same frame data as an air dodge. But in that case, why not make the air dash with the air dodge input, since it's almost the same thing anyways. Also because I don't think they would want to change the input system of shielding in the air for doing anything else than an air dodge, just for one character. It seems like it could be hard to implement depending on how it's coded currently.

Then you could do the hover thing with the jump input, like how it's done for Peach. There is no reason to mix up inputs unnecessarily.

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
So there was no news in the indie world direct. In hindsight, it's kind of expected since there were only western (or non-japanese) games. I didn't really understand that this is what they meant by "Indie World". I wonder when Japanese indie games are supposed to be shown then.

Anyways, Touhou Station will surely bring some new info. Did anyone remember what was in the previous Touhou Station ? It was only a few months ago so I wonder if many things really happen in such a short time. It's kind of weird that Touhou has enough content to make that kind of show so frequently, while we are basically starving for any little bit of Nintendo information.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
So there was no news in the indie world direct. In hindsight, it's kind of expected since there were only western (or non-japanese) games. I didn't really understand that this is what they meant by "Indie World". I wonder when Japanese indie games are supposed to be shown then.

Anyways, Touhou Station will surely bring some new info. Did anyone remember what was in the previous Touhou Station ? It was only a few months ago so I wonder if many things really happen in such a short time. It's kind of weird that Touhou has enough content to make that kind of show so frequently, while we are basically starving for any little bit of Nintendo information.
Yeah, I think it'd be a fool's errand to expect anything Touhou in these. They seem to be more towards giving spotlight to smaller developers. Of course some fangames could fall under that but they at least have the Touhou moniker to go with them. I think that if anything Touhou-related were to be coming to Switch they'd mention it separately on their own.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I got my hopes up a little, but then I learned the direct wasn't being streamed in Japan and that was that. Ah well, at least we still got some cool stuff out of it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I should have checked that xD. It's definitely a good indicator for what to expect in these presentations.
Yeah, I guess we could hope that they want to push Touhou in the West, but that's an incredibly slim chance for such a small direct. Maybe for a general direct, but an Indie World might be a bit small for a push.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Yeah, I guess we could hope that they want to push Touhou in the West, but that's an incredibly slim chance for such a small direct. Maybe for a general direct, but an Indie World might be a bit small for a push.
Which is ironically strange, considering Touhou is an indie game franchise, right?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Which is ironically strange, considering Touhou is an indie game franchise, right?
Yeah, it's kinda weird, Touhou's an indie series, but it's also really big for an indie series. Mostly, the Indie Worlds are meant to give smaller games a chance in the spotlight, since they can't afford to squeeze into the general directs. It's not somewhere you'd try to push a big series.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I started Touhou 7. It feels easier than 6 because I managed to get to stage 4 on my second try with barely any stage knowledge. Then again, I am still playing on normal and using SakuyaA.
Yeah PCB is one of the easier games thanks to Sakuya A and the Cherry Border mechanic. Still, getting this far is quite impressive for a new player! Congraz.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
I started Touhou 7. It feels easier than 6 because I managed to get to stage 4 on my second try with barely any stage knowledge. Then again, I am still playing on normal and using SakuyaA.
Yeah for some reason ZUN likes to insist on making Sakuya OP whenever she appears. DDC is the worst offender, with Sakuya A literally slowing down the enemy firerate, making dodging way easier.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For my fanmade Touhou DLC concept, about how many cameos should I have? I'm going for the high end like Terry, but Touhou's got a lot of characters and I'm not limited by budgets or time restraints, so I'm thinking of going higher from the sake of covering everyone, around the 30-40 range. Is that too much, or should I go a little higher? Keep in mind I'll be counting groups of characters as one.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
For my fanmade Touhou DLC concept, about how many cameos should I have? I'm going for the high end like Terry, but Touhou's got a lot of characters and I'm not limited by budgets or time restraints, so I'm thinking of going higher from the sake of covering everyone, around the 30-40 range. Is that too much, or should I go a little higher? Keep in mind I'll be counting groups of characters as one.
Considering how 6 characters at most are introduced per new Touhou game...yeah, 40 sounds pretty good.

Top Bottom