• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

BlueEyedGrimmbat

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't think lack of popularity is that much of a problem for Reimu. Also, I'd like to see the Hakurei Shrine as Reimu's stage. With a few stage hazard cameos it would fully represent the spirit of Touhou.

Also...

I don't think I heard anyone say Spirit Board but here is a Reimu Spirit Board I Made : )

I feel like I struck a good balance between popular and relevant
Nice job! While I disagree with some of the placements (Yukari, Alice, Aya) I think this is a great representation of Touhou nevertheless.

Can you explain how you made this, by any chance? I'm looking to create a Spirit Board of my own.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Don't know if we've discussed this yet, but there's this new fangame coming up and it's basically Touhou Ball Z. I think it's pretty cool.
I've had my eye on Valkyrie of Phantasm for a while. It looks like a more refined Sky Arena. Dunno how good it'll actually end up being, though.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Don't know if we've discussed this yet, but there's this new fangame coming up and it's basically Touhou Ball Z. I think it's pretty cool.
It actually does look pretty good, this game. This was announced last year, right? And this is the only thing thus far that we know about Valkyrie of Phantasm? Right?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I personally don't think lack of popularity is that much of a problem for Reimu. Also, I'd like to see the Hakurei Shrine as Reimu's stage. With a few stage hazard cameos it would fully represent the spirit of Touhou.
I agree, Reimu is already one of the most iconic/famous indie game characters. Same goes with Freddy Fazbear.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Neat! I'm definitely there for a 3D arena fighter with a better graphical style.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I'll just say that this game looks incredible, in both gameplay and graphics (and also music, but that's a given for Touhou). I really can't wait for a release date for that game.

gavtel

Smash Cadet
The VOD's up for the Gensou Skydrift Chinese Tournament now. Only 54 participants though so I guess there's no new character picked (unless they changed their mind but I doubt it), though there was a spam of "ORIN WHEN?" in chat, at one point in the second VOD. Here's the links, if you want to watch it despite no new character picked / no screenshots of stuff being worked on (unlike the 2nd tournament stream):

Part 1: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1WZ4y1M7fF

Part 2: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV17V411z7k3

Last edited:

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
I don't think popularity is that big of an issue for her as well. Wouldn't call Reimu a household name, but I feel she is big enough to get into Smash and she still has a leg up over any other indie still in the running. Feel like Shrine is the most likely stage, but I'm not counting out the possibility of SDM being picked instead. Not a big fan of the hazard thing, perfer the non-interactive cameos the othe DLC stages got. Curious to see who would make the cut with Touhou's massive character roster.

Also, greetings everyone lol :)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hey, I ran into this hilarious piece of fanart in the hypothetical event that Reimu becomes Challenger Pack 7.
1596471798295.png

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hey, I ran into this hilarious piece of fanart in the hypothetical event that Reimu becomes Challenger Pack 7.
View attachment 281097
Would Sanae even be old enough to know what Smash is? Assuming the dates line up with the release years, the Moriya Shrine would have to have immigrated to Gensokyo before Brawl was even released. If anything, she'd probably associate it with Melee Fox or something.
Sumeriko would most definitely freak out, though.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Would Sanae even be old enough to know what Smash is? Assuming the dates line up with the release years, the Moriya Shrine would have to have immigrated to Gensokyo before Brawl was even released. If anything, she'd probably associate it with Melee Fox or something.
She could've just played 64 and Melee, I don't see why not. Even Melee had its silly things like Sonic rumors.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Considering that MoF released in 2007, it was before Brawl released. However, Brawl was first showcased at E3 2006, so the news of the first newcomers like Snake woudl likely be something she knows. Then Sumireko tells Sanae that they also added Sonic, Megaman, Ryu, Cloud, and Erdrick, which would likely cause her to faint.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Considering that MoF released in 2007, it was before Brawl released. However, Brawl was first showcased at E3 2006, so the news of the first newcomers like Snake woudl likely be something she knows. Then Sumireko tells Sanae that they also added Sonic, Megaman, Ryu, Cloud, and Erdrick, which would likely cause her to faint.
"It's been over a decade, did Isaac get in?"
"No, but we got Joker, the Inklings, and Byleth."
"What the **** is a Byleth"

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
"It's been over a decade, did Isaac get in?"
"No, but we got Joker, the Inklings, and Byleth."
"What the **** is a Byleth"
Once again, the inclusion of Ren/Joker (Persona) and Terry (King of Fighters), doesn't prevent characters along the lines of Bomberman and Crash Bandicoot from getting in the future. Same would go with Reimu.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Once again, the inclusion of Ren/Joker (Persona) and Terry (King of Fighters), doesn't prevent characters along the lines of Bomberman and Crash Bandicoot from getting in the future. Same would go with Reimu.
I never said anything about that. Sanae just wouldn't have any idea about 2010's games since she moved to Gensokyo around the bginning of the 7th console generation. She wouldn't know about Splatoon, or Minecraft, or Assassin's Creed or Shovel Knight or any game that became iconic in the last decade. If we actually showed Ultimate to people back in the Brawl days, it would mostly be people trying to figure out who the **** the little squid kids are and why they're fighting Ridley.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Knowing that Touhou needs fan translations, do all the Touhou games on Steam have those fan patches floating around? Or do I have to find them elsewhere? If the latter is true, is there any reliable sites you know of that I could use to download the translations?

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Knowing that Touhou needs fan translations, do all the Touhou games on Steam have those fan patches floating around? Or do I have to find them elsewhere? If the latter is true, is there any reliable sites you know of that I could use to download the translations?
The Moriya Shrine site is the way to go for translations patches.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Try looking for "Touhou Patch Center" there's an entire wiki site on it, and it usually works well enough for me.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I just had a little thought here:

On a scale from Mario to Min Min with Mario being the comfort zone character and Min Min being the absolute mold-breaker character, how much unique would Reimu be compared to the rest of the cast? I, personally, would imagine her being like Ryu/Ken/Terry-levels of different, being different but not really enough to require a different line of thinking, in general, to play effectively, but I wanna know what you guys think, too.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

On a scale from Mario to Min Min with Mario being the comfort zone character and Min Min being the absolute mold-breaker character, how much unique would Reimu be compared to the rest of the cast? I, personally, would imagine her being like Ryu/Ken/Terry-levels of different, being different but not really enough to require a different line of thinking, in general, to play effectively, but I wanna know what you guys think, too.
I'd say around Terry-level is right. With her grazing, Options, and flight, she'd have a lot of new stuff to add to the standard formula, but not to the point that her control scheme itself is different.

Lyncario

Smash Ace

I'd say that Terry level of breaking the mold seems right, she would have a base moveset pretty straightforward but her added mechanics would makes her unusual in a good way like Terry is, maybe even more depending on how far they would go with them.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

It depends on how wild they'd want to get with her. I'm of the opinion that you could make a great Reimu with no special gimmick mechanic whatsoever, in which case she'd be very accessible, but Sakurai could also go crazy and incorporate a whole bunch of classic Touhou mechanics like focusing and points collection as gimmicks, in which case she'd play a lot more oddly.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
25 Hour Touhou Station Broadcast on August 22nd.
The contents have been partially revealed on their website https://touhougarakuta.com/news/toho_station_25_01

From what I gathered from the website, the broadcast will include (but isnt limited to)
- The Kids Illustration Contest thats coming up in October
- Another Touhou Genso SkyDrift Tournament with support from SGN who have experience in hosting Tournaments
- Touhou Genso Mahjong with professional Mahjong player ASAPIN
- 72 hours Touhou Fan Game Jam that starts 2 Days before the Broadcast.
... and more. More Informations will be announced in the future.

Special Guests:
ZUN
Koshin Asakura (ASAPIN) (Mahjong Pro at U-NEXT Pirates)
Akina Mizuhara (Mahjong Pro at U-NEXT Pirates)
... and others. More Informations will be announced in the future.
More informations have been added. The other special guests are:
- Shirakami Fubuki (HoloLive)
- Houshou Marine (HoloLive)
- Noda Crystal (Magical Lovely)
- ChibaNyan (musician)
- Marasy (well known Touhou pianists)

- IOSYS, EastNewSound, Unlucky Morpheus, ButaOtome, Shojoriron,

The MC will be Beatmario, likely also as his new VTuber alter-ego.
and Mai Kanazawa (voice actress)

Thats actually not even all of it. You can see the recent article here.
https://touhougarakuta.com/news/toho_station_25_01/

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm starting up my own concept for a Touhou DLC pack now. Wish me luck.
(And on a side note, does anyone have a Touhou Smash symbol floating around that I could use? I don't seem to have one on hand...)

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I'm starting up my own concept for a Touhou DLC pack now. Wish me luck.
(And on a side note, does anyone have a Touhou Smash symbol floating around that I could use? I don't seem to have one on hand...)
Not sure if this works, but I've often seen people use the Yin Yang as an icon for Touhou, most likely representing Reimu's Yin Yang Orb. Here's an image I happened to have:
yin yang.gif

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Continuing on my Touhou DLC, I've added a description for the franchise. I'll be getting to the setting later, and I'll also probably give the fandom and impact it's own separate section. Beyond that, is everything covered?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Continuing on my Touhou DLC, I've added a description for the franchise. I'll be getting to the setting later, and I'll also probably give the fandom and impact it's own separate section. Beyond that, is everything covered?
Franchise description checks out to me, chief.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And that about finishes the franchise overview, I think. Anything you think I should've added, or unnecessary info that I could do without?

gavtel

Smash Cadet
Looks like they've uploaded the VOD for the Touhou Station Tournament Qualification Round for Gensou Skydrift. The winner doesn't pick a character BUT a costume to be added for a character... The finals will be part of the Touhou Station livestream on the 22nd/23rd (depending on time zone).

Here's the link to the VOD for anyone who wants to check that out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnV7shdXx3Y

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Another Hakurei Dennoukai EXTRA is running right now till August 26.
For those in the unknown, its an online event where Touhou Doujin Game developer offer full games or trials to be downloaded and played for free, or otherwise, with the options to purchase the full game through the website.
You can take a look at it here: https://hakudenkai-extra.netlify.app/

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Welp, I tried my hand at giving Reimu some gimmicks. Should I keep the Grazing the way it is, or should I make it closer to the fighting games?
  • Flight-Pressing the shield button in the air will cause Reimu to hover in the air for a short amount of time, enough to travel the length of two Bowsers. Reimu can freely move and attack while flying, giving her great aerial mobiliy and versatility. However, due to the input for flight being shielding in the air, Reimu cannot air dodge.
  • Grazing-Reimu's window for phantom hits is a good deal larger than most other fighters. When a phantom hit is triggered, she Grazes the attack. This mechanic has a couple uses.
    • Power Meter-Reimu has a Power Meter on her HUD that fills up every time she Grazes, filling up more for stronger attacks. The meter starts at 0.00 and fills up based on the hundredth mark. When the meter reaches a whole number (1.00, 2.00, etc.), Reimu's Yin-Yang Orbs grow in size slightly, and her attacks are powered up. Whenever Reimu takes damage, the Power Meter decreases based on the amount of damage she takes. It should be noted that 5.00 will not give a power-up; Instead, it acts as a buffer zone. It does, however, change Reimu's Final Smash to Fantasy Nature.
    • Projectile Destruction-During Reimu's dash and second jump, weak projectiles that hit her will be destroyed, filling up her Power Meter. In addition, turning around while dashing creates a Graze Burst, a pulse of energy that has a stronger projectile destroying effect.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I made an entire Reimu moveset it is long

Gimmick: Reimu will have a point counter next to her hud and as she does more damage more points will be added up to 100, every 10 points a new property
is added to her danmaku attacks. 10-Longer Range, 20-Faster, 30-A small yin yang orb follows Reimu and shoots a Homing shot, 40-Larger, 50-More Knockback, 60-Increased Priority, 70-Largest projectile, 80- A second Yin Yang orb spawns that adds a second homing shot, 90-Max Damage, 100-Lifesteal. She also has Peach And Daisy's Float mechanic. If Reimu has a near miss from an attack she gains points as well

Stats

Dash: Same as Dark Samus

Weight: Same as peach

Fall speed: Slightly Lighter than Mewtwo

Basic Attacks

Jab: Danmaku, She shoots a rapid fire projectile forward while the button is held

Side tilt: Danmaku

Up tilt: Danmaku

Down tilt: A slide Kick

Dash Attack: Reimu spins around on one foot

Side Smash: Reimu spins her Gohei in front of her

Up Smash: Reimu spins her Gohei upwards

Down Smash: Reimu spins her Gohei on the ground (Palutena D-tilt)

Neutral air: Danmaku

Forward Air: Reimu Smashes her gohei Downwards

Back Air: She shoots a spread of 3 shots behind her

Up Air: Reimu kicks above her head (Mid-air Ascension kick from TH 13.5)

Down Air: A Dive Kick

Specials

Neutral: Bomb, Reimu throws a Bomb token and it explodes on contact it destroys all projectiles, You have a limited number of Bombs per stock

Side: Frontal Defense Talisman, Reimu spawns a barrier that moves forwards until it hits a wall or blast zone that reflects projectiles and deals small damage and Knockback, the initial summon shoots 3 projectiles

Down: Yin Yang Orb, Spawns a Yin Yang orb that will fire Danmaku and the Danmaku it fires will copy Reimu's current point total, only 1 can be spawned

Up: Point Jump, Reimu rockets in the direction that the stick is pointed in

Final Smash: Spirit Sign:"Fantasy Seal", Reimu sends a ton of large projectiles in every direction dealing high damage and knockback

Grabs:

Basic grab: Reimu uses her arm to grab the opponent

Pummel: Reimu hits the person with her Gohei

F-throw: Reimu throws the Opponent forwards and shoots 3 shots at the Opponent

B-throw: Reimu Kicks the Opponent backwards

U-throw: Reimu Goes to the top of the Blast Zone (Like Kirby and K Rool) and slams the opponent down on the ground

D-throw: Reimu Sends the opponent downwards with her Gohei

Animations

Entrance: Reimu teleports in

Up taunt: A Fairy appears above Reimu and she interacts with it

Side Taunt: Reimu poses with her Gohei like the art from TH 15

Down Taunt: Reimu holds either a Yin Yang Orb, Bomb Token, Power Token or Point Token

Victory 1: The camera is focused on a spinning Yin Yang Orb, and it zooms out to show that Reimu is holding it

Victory 2: Reimu fires some projectiles and then throws a Bomb token

Victory 3: Reimu sits behind her donation box

Alts

1: Her most common design with a Red Dress and bow

2: A blue Dress and Bow Reimu and Reimu has Gray hair to represent Sakuya

3: A green Dress and bow and White hair to represent Youmu

4: A yellow Dress and Bow and Green hair the skirt design is the same as Koishi's to represent Koishi

5: A light blue Dress and Bow Reimu is Slightly Tanner, Reimu's hair is also slightly blue to represent Cirno

6: A white dress but the Skirt part is the design seen on Aya's dress and Reimu's bow is red

7: A black dress and white skirt and bow and Reimu's hair is purple to represent Reisen

8: Either a Full on Marisa costume or A Black and White Dress and bow and Reimu's hair becomes blonde

Stage
Hakurei Shrine: The main platform is a large pillar slightly larger than Kalos pokemon league and on the platform is the Shrine building where the
dozens of cameos will be, you can stand on the roof of the shrine and there are 2 other trees that you can stand on. Fairies will fly in the background and sometimes on stage to deliver food.
With hazards on occasionally one of the Characters will activate a spell card and many projectiles will be fire down onto the stage depending
on the Spell card.

The Cameos are, Youmu, Alice, The Prismriver Sisters, Reisen, Cirno, Sanae, Aya, Koishi, Patchouli, Nitori, Remilia
Eirin, Saki, Momiji, Suwako, Tenshi, Suika, Yuyuko, Wriggle Nightbug, Wakasagihime, Hong Meiling, Fujiwara no Mokou, Clownpiece, Sumireko, Seiga, Byakuren

The characters that could activate a spell card are: Yukari, Flandre, Sakuya, Junko, Marisa and Utsuho (They still stand in the background with the rest but sometimes they do the spellcard thing)

The Spell card effects are this:
Shikigami "Ran Yakumo": Yukari appears above the Shrine and Ran Yakumo jumps from platform to platform sending projectiles downwards, You can KO Ran to end it early but if you touch her while she is jumping you will take damage.

Taboo "Lävatein": Flandre appears in the middle of the Stage and a Large beam emits from Flandre and circles around the stage, You can KO Flandre to end it early

Illusion World "The World": Sakuya Stands on the Shrine platform and Time slows as Projectiles slowly spawn and fire at the fighters You can KO Sakuya

"Simple Danmaku for Cornering a Trapped Rat": Junko Hovers above the Shrine and sends rows of Homing Projectiles onto the fighters You can KO Junko

Love Sign "Master Spark": Marisa flies above the Stage and Shoots a large beam into the middle of the stage and Star shaped projectiles also fire randomly around the stage You can KO Marisa

Atomic Fire "Uncontainable Nuclear Reaction": Utsuho stands on the Middle Platform a Siren plays and 4 Massive Projectiles are fired from Utusho and smaller homing projectiles are also fired You can KO Utsuho

Music

Victory music: Maiden's Capriccio (Original)
(Yes all of these are entirely biased)
Remixes:
Maiden's Capriccio
Love Colored Master Sparks
Necrofantasia
BAD Apple!!
U.N. Owen Was Her?

Regular music:
Flowering Night
Doll Judgement ~ The Girl Who Played With People's Shapes
Spring Lane ~ Colorful Path
Mystic Oriental Dream ~ Ancient Temple
Stirring an Autumn Moon ~ Mooned Insect
Witching Dream
Beloved Tomboyish Girl
The Great Fairy Wars ~ Fairy Wars
Phantom Ensemble
Pierrot of the Star Spangled Banner
Pure Furies ~ Whereabouts of the Heart
Pandemonic Planet
Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion
Gensokyo Millennium ~ History Of The Moon
Lunatic Eyes ~ Invisible Full Moon
Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea

Classic Mode

Name: Shrine Maiden's Journey (Battles against characters with many projectiles)

The First: Link

The Second: Robin

The Third: Samus and Dark Samus

The Fourth: Simon and Richter

The Fifth: Mii gunner army

The Sixth: Mega Man

The Boss: Marx

Spirits
I made one already but I altered it based on suggestions from this thread

Misc

Series Logo: Yin Yang Orb, Point Token or The Kanji for Touhou Project

Upon being KO'd many Point tokens will fly from the Blast Zone