• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I still don't like this render, and that pose doesn't make any sense to me. But I must say he does a good job a recreating ZUN's style, I just think ZUN style is not something one should want to recreate xD

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I think that render looks pretty good actually. I agree with zriL though that the pose is weird. The personality I'm getting from that pose is carefree and innocent and I dun think that describes Reimu lol

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I remember hating ZUN's artstyle when I first started getting into Touhou, but it really grew on me over the years, kinda to the point where it feels a little strange seeing the characters in a more "traditional" anime style.
I think that render looks pretty good actually. I agree with zriL though that the pose is weird. The personality I'm getting from that pose is carefree and innocent and I dun think that describes Reimu lol
I have to disagree. ZUN draws Reimu with those kinds of poses/expressions in the games, so it's pretty faithful imo. Plus I've always found it funny that Reimu looks all cheerful and innocent at first glance, but in reality she's cantankerous and no-nonsense.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Neat render! I think it's a great rendition of the ZUN style, and I love the alts (but I doubt we'd get custom hats!) Still, I think I'd definitely prefer a sprite more like the one from the modern era of fighters.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I remember hating ZUN's artstyle when I first started getting into Touhou, but it really grew on me over the years, kinda to the point where it feels a little strange seeing the characters in a more "traditional" anime style.

I have to disagree. ZUN draws Reimu with those kinds of poses/expressions in the games, so it's pretty faithful imo. Plus I've always found it funny that Reimu looks all cheerful and innocent at first glance, but in reality she's cantankerous and no-nonsense.
One of Touhou's defining traits is how loose everyone's depictions are. We've never really had a story told from Reimu's perspective, so interpretations vary.
Imagine if her idle animations and/or taunts changed throughout the match randomly to reflect her different portrayals? Unlikely, but it'd be interesting.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I went to look at Reimu ZUN art from every past game and I didn't find any pose that looked like that. The closest one would probably be TH1 or TH3 but it's old ZUN style and the pose is still quite different, you won't find that weird leg pose anywhere.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I like ZUN's artstyle, both old and new, but I still think it's not a good choice for her potential Smash appearance. Making her look like a cutesy little girl would probably do her general reception more harm than good too. Would prefer her model just being a 3D version of her AoCF sprite. Alts on that render are very nice though, cool idea with the hats!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Is this worth noting? Because this sounds pretty important to note.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I mean, yeah, it's pretty important for Touhou as it's what will celebrate it's 25th anniversary. I don't think that Reimu would be anounced playable in Smash at this event tho.

By the way, did you guys watch the Marisa vs Vegeta video Hyun's Dojo uploaded today? It's pretty good, If I say so.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, yeah, it's pretty important for Touhou as it's what will celebrate it's 25th anniversary. I don't think that Reimu would be anounced playable in Smash at this event tho.

By the way, did you guys watch the Marisa vs Vegeta video Hyun's Dojo uploaded today? It's pretty good, If I say so.
Of course. I was thinking more "important for Touhou in general" more than anything.
In other news, the prince of all Saiyans and one of the most powerful characters in the Dragon Ball universe gets annihilated by a little girl with a broomstick. Because of course.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Here's hoping we get some big announcements! ZUN sounded pretty serious about branching Touhou out further in order to keep it relevant, so I wonder what else he might have up his sleeve. I would love love love an anime.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Here's hoping we get some big announcements! ZUN sounded pretty serious about branching Touhou out further in order to keep it relevant, so I wonder what else he might have up his sleeve. I would love love love an anime.
I just want some official games on the Switch. Also, I'd actually kinda interested in where 17.5's plot goes. It involves oil in some way, right? That's a bit of an odd problem for Touhou. Who's the final boss of that gonna be?

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
I was talking about Touhou Danmaku Festival here.
The biggest thing here is that this live event is hosted by Sponsor X.
We know it features live performances and the latest information on Touhou content.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I just want some official games on the Switch. Also, I'd actually kinda interested in where 17.5's plot goes. It involves oil in some way, right? That's a bit of an odd problem for Touhou. Who's the final boss of that gonna be?
It's already been confirmed by ZUN that the Gouyoku Alliance will play a key role in the new game and considering that the spin offs very rarely introduce more than one new character I think it's safe to assume that their leader, Toutetsu, will take the role of the final boss.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's already been confirmed by ZUN that the Gouyoku Alliance will play a key role in the new game and considering that the spin offs very rarely introduce more than one new character I think it's safe to assume that their leader, Toutetsu, will take the role of the final boss.
I've heard that being mentioned before, but I can't seem to find that specific line in the interview. Hmm...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
(Is this doublepost? I think it's been long enough, right?)
Anyways, I've put together the rough draft of Reimu's moveset, or at least the beginning of it.

REIMU Crosses The Border!
Reimu Hakurei is the main protagonist of the Touhou Project, a long-running and prolific series of bullet hell games. A shrine maiden tasked with running the ancestral Hakurei Shrine, Reimu's role is incredibly important. It is her duty to keep the balance of Gensokyo, a region sealed off from the rest of the world that houses youkai and various other folkloric beings.

Reimu's job is to exterminate troublesome youkai, which are supposed to hunt humans due to their very nature. However, the spell card system turns these battles of life and death into fun, regular activities that emphasize flashiness. Most of the time, the youkai that Reimu "exterminates" end up crashing at her shrine for some tea. This has the unfortunate side effect of making her shrine not get any donations, leaving her poor.

Reimu's equipment consists of her purification rod, or gohei, a large amount of talismans, and her ancestral Yin-Yang Orbs. As the protagonist of a bullet hell series, Reimu is a highly mobile fighter, aided by her various gimmicks. She is built to dodge attacks and attack from a distance, but suffers when being pressured up close.

Gimmicks:

• Flight-By holding the jump input, Reimu is able to fly for a short amount of time. She can use her aerials and specials in this state. This functions much like Peach and Daisy's float, except Reimu can move in all directions.
  • Focusing-Reimu does not have a normal shield input. Instead, her hitbox is shrunken considerably, indicated by a small white circle. Any attack that misses her hitbox will graze, detailed below, but any attack that hits will deal double damage. She lacks a proper dodge as well; Instead, she can move in all eight directions, albiet slowly.
  • Grazing-Any attack that whiffs Reimu's hitbox will be grazed, going into her graze meter listed above her HUD. The graze points gained are increased while Reimu is focusing or dashing, and Reimu loses graze points when taking damage. The graze meter can go up to 5.00, and resets to zero if Reimu is KO'd.
    • Options-Whenever the graze meter reaches a whole number (1.00, 2.00, and so on), Reimu gains an Option in the form of a Yin-Yang Orb floating behind her. Pressing the attack button a second time has the Options fire a projectile after Reimu's attack, and her projectiles are powered up. It should be noted that reaching 5.00 will not give Reimu an option; Instead, it acts as a buffer zone, so her damage output isn't decreased after taking a single hit.
Specials:

• Neutral Special - Hakurei Amulet: Reimu throws an ofuda talisman, which homes in on opponents. Holding the button increases size and power of the amulet. Reimu's Options will also shoot smaller amulets alongside her.
  • Side Special - Persuasion Needles: Reimu throws a Persuasion Needle. The needles are slow and travel in a straight line, and are mostly good for setups. Up to five needles can be on the screen at once. The Options will shoot smaller, faster needles alongside Reimu.
  • Up Special - Ascension Kick: A flip kick, taking Reimu a short distance upwards. Due to her flight, it isn't very good as a recovery move. Her Options will follow her foot as she kicks, dealing extra damage.
  • Down Special - Cautionary Border: Reimu throws talismans in front of her, forming into a barrier. Due to her lack of a proper shield, this is integral to her defensive game. Projectiles hit will be reflected, and opponents will take a small amount of damage if they touch the barrier. The barrier's size and duration increase with Reimu's graze meter.
  • FINAL SMASH - Fantasy Seal: Reimu floats in the air and lets loose a barrage of multicolor homing orbs, with a large rainbow orb at the end. While the orbs aren't very powerful on their own, they are numerous and large, making them hard to dodge and turning the match into utter chaos during the duration of the attack
    • ALTERNATIVE FINAL SMASH - Fantasy Nature: If Reimu's graze meter is at 5.00 when she uses her Final Smash, she instead instigates Fantasy Nature, sending out a blast of talismans and energy across the entire stage. The attack is wide-reaching and almost garenteed to KO anyone it hits, but it drains Reimu's graze meter and is hard to attain due to the difficulty in filling up both meters. During the attack, the Fantasy Nature theme from Touhou Hisoutensoku starts playing, and continues to do so throughout her victory animation is she ends the match with it.

gavtel

Smash Cadet
I've heard that being mentioned before, but I can't seem to find that specific line in the interview. Hmm...
Although he implies it at the end of the interview, there's also the title of the game giving it away: "Gouyoku Ibun". So even if he didn't tell us that in the interview, I'm sure some of us could have worked it out from that anyway.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Although he implies it at the end of the interview, there's also the title of the game giving it away: "Gouyoku Ibun". So even if he didn't tell us that in the interview, I'm sure some of us could have worked it out from that anyway.
Ah, there it is. I was looking for the names "Toutetsu" or "Gouyoku Alliance," so I didn't notice when they were mentioned without being names. I did notice that the title dropped a bit of a hint there; That's pretty clear.
On that note, I've noticed that twice now we've had a story arc span for multiple games; There's the Moriya Shrine arc from MoF to TD, with each game leading into each other, but there's been another that started with ULiL. The Occult Ball storyline led into LoLK and AoCF, and AoCF led into VD. I'm thinking we might be getting a Gouyoku Alliance story arc, or at least one that originates from them.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I've decided to write a Palutena's Guidance for Reimu. I know it's impossible for DLC characters, but I thought it'd be a bit funny.

:ultpit:: Lady Palutena, do you know who this lady is?

:ultpalutena: : Oh. That must be Reimu Hakurei.

:ultpit: : Ray-moo...who now?

???: Ah. I see the shrine maiden's battle has commenced.

:ultpit:: Huh?! Who's that!?

Viridi: Oh no, not her.

Yukari Yakumo: Why hello, Palutena. It has been so very long...

:ultpalutena:: So it has. Hello there, Yukari. Pit, This is Yukari Yakumo, a youkai sage from Gensokyo.

Viridi: Ugh, I was afraid she was gonna appear the moment Reimu was picked for this battle. Stupid gap hag-WAAAGH!!! Was...was that a friggin' train!?

Yukari: Ah, apologies. The buzzing of this insect was very much annoying me, so I decided to try and be rid of it.

Viridi: Grrr, you...

Yukari: Anyways, Pit my dear, I see you are fighting Reimu Hakurei.

:ultpit:: Yup! Hey, uh, can you tell me about her, please?

Yukari: Well, I don't see why not. Reimu is a shrine maiden situated in Gensokyo, a wonderland of my creation. She is tasked with maintaining the barrier around it, resolving incidents that occur, and youkai extermination. And I suppose angels are youkai...

:ultpit:: Uh, she...she's not gonna exterminate me, right?

Yukari: If it's battle tips you want, then you need not tremble in fear for it. While she holds immense power with the Yin-Yang Orbs she possesses, she doesn't exactly have a means of fending you off should you get close.

:ultpit:: So avoid whatever she throws at you, you're saying. Okay. I can do that!

Viridi: Alright, you've had your share, now please, GO!

Yukari: Oh, very well. But let it be known I won't be gone for long, Viridi...

Viridi: Honestly, she ticks me off and I don't know why.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I've decided to write a Palutena's Guidance for Reimu. I know it's impossible for DLC characters, but I thought it'd be a bit funny.

:ultpalutena:: So it has. Hello there, Yukari. Pit, This is Yukari Yakumo, a youkai sage from Gensokyo.

Viridi: Ugh, I was afraid she was gonna appear the moment Reimu was picked for this battle. Stupid gap hag-WAAAGH!!! Was...was that a friggin' train!?

Yukari: Ah, apologies. The buzzing of this insect was very much annoying me, so I decided to try and be rid of it.

Yukari: Well, I don't see why not. Reimu is a shrine maiden situated in Gensokyo, a wonderland of my creation. She is tasked with maintaining the barrier around it, resolving incidents that occur, and youkai extermination. And I suppose angels are youkai...

Yukari: If it's battle tips you want, then you need not tremble in fear for it. While she holds immense power with the Yin-Yang Orbs she possesses, she doesn't exactly have a means of fending you off should you get close.

:ultpit:: So avoid whatever she throws at you, you're saying. Okay. I can do that!

This is so great, though I must say that I would be sad if a Palutena's Guidance for Reimu did not include a reference to Hecatia in some way, since she would pretty much link Kid Icarus and Touhou togethers, being a greek godess. I can almost see Palutena and Viridi being scared for their life of Hecatia being there, while Hecatia is just trying to be cool and having a good time with her family.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Viridi gets screwed around with and that satisfies me. Also, this would actually be the first time Touhou characters get an official voice actor. On that note, do you think Reimu would be completely silent, or would she have some voice grunts?
This is so great, though I must say that I would be sad if a Palutena's Guidance for Reimu did not include a reference to Hecatia in some way, since she would pretty much link Kid Icarus and Touhou togethers, being a greek godess. I can almost see Palutena and Viridi being scared for their life of Hecatia being there, while Hecatia is just trying to be cool and having a good time with her family.
Bonus points if we have Clownpiece to traumatize Touhou players or junko reciting the entire snapcube moon speech

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Viridi gets screwed around with and that satisfies me. Also, this would actually be the first time Touhou characters get an official voice actor. On that note, do you think Reimu would be completely silent, or would she have some voice grunts?
Honestly, if we're giving Reimu a voice actress, there are two options that I think would fit.

Mai Nakahara, who voiced Reimu in Summer Day's Dream.
Mona Fujiyama, who voiced Reimu in a majority of the Touhou M-1 Grand Prix's.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

IMO you'd have to have a bit of attitude from Palutena about how Reimu is always beating up goddesses.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I have never played any touhou game before where would you suggest me to start if I do try it out?
Embodiment of Scarlet Devil is the recommendation I've seen commonly. There a website called Touhou Project Lovers where you can download it with no problems.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I have never played any touhou game before where would you suggest me to start if I do try it out?
If you're nervous about trying one of the bullet hells, familiarizing yourself with the characters by playing one of the fighting games isn't a bad place to start. Hisoutensoku and Antinomy of Common Flowers have the most active communities, but Scarlet Weather Rhapsody probably has the best story.

But if you've got shoot 'em up experience or don't mind diving in head first, I'd recommend the most recent mainline game, Wily Beast and Weakest Creature. The game is pretty beginner friendly, and while there are plenty of reoccurring characters elsewhere in official Touhou media, the mainline games tend to have pretty self contained stories so you can jump on most anywhere.

Alternatively, you could try the first Windows game, the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. It's a little clunky by modern standards, but there are fan patches that help. This was Touhou's first real breakout success, so it's not a bad idea to see where things started.

If ever you want to see what you're in for, you should look up gameplay videos on YouTube. And remember, there's no shame in playing on Easy mode.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I personally would recommend Imperishable Night (TH8) or Hidden Star in Four Seasons (TH16). Imperishable Night is both very accessible and the most atmospheric, while HSiFS is on Steam, significantly more polished, and also very accessible thanks to straightforward gameplay and the strength of its unique seasons mechanic.

If you're nervous about trying one of the bullet hells, familiarizing yourself with the characters by playing one of the fighting games isn't a bad place to start. Hisoutensoku and Antinomy of Common Flowers have the most active communities, but Scarlet Weather Rhapsody probably has the best story.

But if you've got shoot 'em up experience or don't mind diving in head first, I'd recommend the most recent mainline game, Wily Beast and Weakest Creature. The game is pretty beginner friendly, and while there are plenty of reoccurring characters elsewhere in official Touhou media, the mainline games tend to have pretty self contained stories so you can jump on most anywhere.

Alternatively, you could try the first Windows game, the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. It's a little clunky by modern standards, but there are fan patches that help. This was Touhou's first real breakout success, so it's not a bad idea to see where things started.

If ever you want to see what you're in for, you should look up gameplay videos on YouTube. And remember, there's no shame in playing on Easy mode.
Wily Beast and Weakest Creature is good too! My one reservation with the game is that, for me, the huge amount of health on normal enemies relative to the other games makes level play a lot less fun, since the time to kill is so much longer.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
I think TH6 is the best start even though it is the oldest. The newer ones aren't that different anyways and the most popular musics comes from the old ones so I would recommend these. I don't think difficulty matters, they are all hard anyways, I don't think a new player would find any Touhou game easy, even the more accessible ones.
The only one that is really different about difficulty is TH15 because it has a checkpoint game mode, so if you don't like restarting over and prefer the die and retry style of gameplay, TH15 is the best one. I really liked that feature, I was disappointed it was not kept in the later games.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace

Palutena's Guidance but all the characters have ZUN style portraits.
...I think I should commission someone to actually draw this

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Palutena's Guidance but all the characters have ZUN style portraits.
...I think I should commission someone to actually draw this
On that note, would the Spirits use new ZUN art or old ZUN art? The new version would look better, but if we used old ZUN art then Sakuya's EoSD artwork is going to ascend to top-tier ****post material and I want to see that happen.

zferolie

Smash Hero
On that note, would the Spirits use new ZUN art or old ZUN art? The new version would look better, but if we used old ZUN art then Sakuya's EoSD artwork is going to ascend to top-tier ****post material and I want to see that happen.
I would love old zun art as spirits just to confuse the **** out of people

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
Finally, Original Patchouli makes her appareance.

Jokes aside, depending on the direction they go with I could see them going with the art from the fighters (be it the Tasofro ones or the ones with art from Moe Harukawa) or just ZUN art. I'd personally be fine with either. I like the charm of ZUN's art, but the sprites and look from the fighting games is also great.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I imagine it's also a bit dependent on who gets in as a spirit. Certain characters who ain't playable in the fighting game spin-offs may get their original ZUN art while ones who are playable or debuted in the games may get their other art.

Either way, it'd be fun to have a nice mix of both just to see peoples reactions.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Man, all the Origami King talk you see across the internet right now makes me even sadder that Paper Tenko has been discontinued. Wish another developer would pick up the game were the old one left off because I absolutely loved the idea. Alas, some things are just too good to be true.
Hoping that maybe one day we'll have a complete Paper Touhou game. =w=

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
All of the Fighting Games were made by Tasofro. The artists are either alphes (IaMP-Soku) or Moe Harukawa (HM-AoCF).
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the correction, I wasn't sure about the artists.

Man, all the Origami King talk you see across the internet right now makes me even sadder that Paper Tenko has been discontinued. Wish another developer would pick up the game were the old one left off because I absolutely loved the idea. Alas, some things are just too good to be true.
I didn't even know that was a thing, but now I'm sad it was discontinued.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
You just gave me flashback of how cute and amazing the trailer for that game was. And you also made me learn that it was cancelled. It's always a shame for cool fangames to get discontinuited. Rip to Paper Tenko.

Last edited:
Top Bottom