• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
IMO, if Sponsor X really were Nintendo, we wouldn't know them as Sponsor X. Better put, if Nintendo wanted to sponsor Touhou in some way, we wouldn't know about it until they wanted us to. Nintendo usually plays their cards closer to their chest than this.
But here's the thing: Nintendo probably wouldn't be the one who wanted to hide their identity when it comes to Touhou sponsorship. If either side wanted to hide their identity, it'd require an agreement between Nintendo and ZUN to do so. So maybe ZUN was like, "Hey, Furukawa-san, would it be alright if I called your company Sponsor X for a while?" and he agreed and that brings us to where we are.

Last edited:

Narp

Smash Cadet
It's been a whole year since Luna Nights was announced???
It was originally set to release by the end of last year, so the virus doesn't seem like the most likely reason back then. Now, it might have caused extra delays on top of previous unannounced delays. But that's the thing, they never announced any delays, even last year.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I have quite possibly the dumbest idea ever:
A Touhou game developed by, of all people, Platinum, with all that entails. Just imagine how that would work.

Last edited:

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
I mentioned it before but whatever Sponsor X is, its gotta be something you could guess.

I dont think its Nintendo. There is no reason for them to sponsor a huge amount of money just for Touhou Garakuta and Touhou Station.
Theres nothing to gain for them in doing that. There is no reason for them to help a different franchise grow.
Has Nintendo really ever done something like this before? Well, they did so as part of game development with 3rd Parties like PlatinumGames or Monolith Soft.

But this is a case where the subject goes mostly outside video games, which shouldnt really be of Nintendos interest, even if Reimu were to be included in Smash. Honestly the deal itself to have her included would be the only most profitable thing for Nintendo to do, and not investing into something they gain nothing from it. Especially because Touhou Garakuta and Touhou Station are platforms that are only present in Japanese.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
4chan seems to think it's DeNA. Gotta say, that kind of makes sense.
Well it's 4chan, so they either figure out a mystery in record time, or botch it horribly.

On the assumption that it's true, that would be a heck of a coincidence since DeNA helped develop most of Nintendo's mobile games.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

I think the glitch thing has struck again, guys. This video tells about Daisy running into a visual glitch that causes the skirt of her dress to disappear. Daisy has the ability to float in-game, as we all know. And even if the Daisy alt used to showcase the glitch is obviously coincidental, her appearance is oddly reminiscent of a certain youkai-busting shrine maiden that we're all advocating here...

Could Daisy be being used as a base for Reimu in Smash? We don't know yet, but things are certainly pointing, that's for damn sure.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
AFIAK, none of these glitch hints have panned out. I could be wrong, but I doubt this points to Reimu. You could just as easily suggest another popular female character with a shorter skirt.

And wasn't the Ness eye glitch supposed to point to Reimu? They can't both be true at the same time

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I think the glitch thing has struck again, guys. This video tells about Daisy running into a visual glitch that causes the skirt of her dress to disappear. Daisy has the ability to float in-game, as we all know. And even if the Daisy alt used to showcase the glitch is obviously coincidental, her appearance is oddly reminiscent of a certain youkai-busting shrine maiden that we're all advocating here...

Could Daisy be being used as a base for Reimu in Smash? We don't know yet, but things are certainly pointing, that's for damn sure.
Didn't someone say that it was just faulty SD cards or something back in the main thread? I dunno if those are mutually exclusive, but that's something to consider.
Plus, like a billion different characters have skirts. It could potentially be anyone. I do think Reimu is afirly likely, but not every little thing is necessarily going to point to her. Maybe I shouldn't have pushed that Ness eye glitch thing so much...

zferolie

Smash Hero
AFIAK, none of these glitch hints have panned out. I could be wrong, but I doubt this points to Reimu. You could just as easily suggest another popular female character with a shorter skirt.

And wasn't the Ness eye glitch supposed to point to Reimu? They can't both be true at the same time
A few of these glitches have panned out. Mii Sword fighter with Hero for example

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Didn't someone say that it was just faulty SD cards or something back in the main thread? I dunno if those are mutually exclusive, but that's something to consider.
Plus, like a billion different characters have skirts. It could potentially be anyone. I do think Reimu is afirly likely, but not every little thing is necessarily going to point to her. Maybe I shouldn't have pushed that Ness eye glitch thing so much...
Nah, you're good for pushing the Ness glitch. It's all good.

I'm just thinking it's Reimu mainly because when I look at this, I dissect the character of whom can potentially be a base for a future character and draw a similar parallel to that particular character.

Like when Bayonetta had that glitch back in 7.0, as the video mentioned. When that came out, people were wondering who it could be. Then Nintendo announced that ARMS would be the next franchise long before Min Min was revealed, and we drew quite a bit connections between Bayonetta and Min Min based on what transpired: massive arms to use for attacks, a similarity to Min Min and a trait that's central to ARMS as a whole. The glitch involves Bayonetta's textures, which Min Min also kinda has, albeit that one was a flat-out model change as opposed to just textures.

So when looking at these glitches, I have to weed out as many similarities as I can between Reimu and Daisy. The only one I have so far is that Daisy has the ability to float while Reimu has the ability to fly. I'll try to unearth any more similarities in the future.

Now you could shoot this down with Simon/Richter and their Side Smash glitch. But I don't think anyone wanted to make the connection between the Belmonts and Byleth because 1) The community's infamous hatred for Fire Emblem, and 2) People were fixated on Dante from Devil May Cry before Byleth was revealed.

Now I could be stretching farther than Min Min in this, but I'm just saying what I think of it, so...

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
It seems like Min Min's model was reused from ARMS, but her rigging is based on Captain Falcon. Apparently there's leftover data for Falcon Kick in her moveset files, and if you look closely you can see Min Min's dash attack is the same pose as FK.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It seems like Min Min's model was reused from ARMS, but her rigging is based on Captain Falcon. Apparently there's leftover data for Falcon Kick in her moveset files, and if you look closely you can see Min Min's dash attack is the same pose as FK.

That's interesting. Did Falcon have any glitches? If so, that might put a dent in the glitch theories.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
After a bit of consideration, I've decided the Daisy dress glitch is at least feasible, due to the oddity of the visual glitch. At the very least, it's more to work with than the Ness eye glitch. I've seen people suggest 2B too, based on the length of the dress. And, of course, it could lead to nothing. Still, I guess it's something to talk about.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Random question: does Touhou have any sort of official logo? What would be used for the "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Touhou Project" screen?

Narp

Smash Cadet
That's interesting. Did Falcon have any glitches? If so, that might put a dent in the glitch theories.
I imagine new characters might use several existing characters for reference when it comes to different things like character rigs, attack animations and special effects.
I have quite possibly the dumbest idea ever:
A Touhou game developed by, of all people, Platinum, with all that entails. Just imagine how that would work.
You know, I played this one flying 3D action Touhou fan game called Mechanical Scrollery. It's decent fun but it suffers from a poor camera, lock-on that doesn't always help with melee attacks, and some odd design choices like insane freeze frames on every hit. Game reminded me of EDF but with flying; the types of enemies, objectives, graphics, and technical jank included. At least the flying felt real good.

I wonder if Platinum could pull off a decent camera in a flying 3D action game.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Random question: does Touhou have any sort of official logo? What would be used for the "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Touhou Project" screen?
I'd imagine Nintendo would make their own Touhou logo. Because as far as I know, I've never found any sort of official ZUN-made Touhou logo by itself.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Good question. The logo seems to change every game; If we get Reimu in Smash, it might be the first official Touhou logo in, what now, almost 25 years?
I imagine new characters might use several existing characters for reference when it comes to different things like character rigs, attack animations and special effects.
That's fair, though with the discussions in the main thread, I've decided to speak of glitches in predictions with at least a semi-tongue in cheek manner, since half the time it doesn't go anywhere and the speculation is just me spitballing for the heck of it. Plus, even if it is true, it's not necessarily going to be what we expect, so we should probably keep our hopes tempered.
You know, I played this one flying 3D action Touhou fan game called Mechanical Scrollery. It's decent fun but it suffers from a poor camera, lock-on that doesn't always help with melee attacks, and some odd design choices like insane freeze frames on every hit. Game reminded me of EDF but with flying; the types of enemies, objectives, graphics, and technical jank included. At least the flying felt real good.

Oh yeah, that. Think I've heard of it. Still, Platinum's an action game expert, so they'd probably pull it off well.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Not that I'm aware of. My best guess is that it would be like Cloud, who had Smash Bros. x Final Fantasy 7, it would be with one of the games in particular, as they do have specific logos. As for which one... well that'd probably be whichever Reimu is most based upon, in my mind being the most recent or the most iconic. That would be either x WBaWC or x EoSD.

Mechanical Scrollery was a disappointment to me at least. I followed it closely around it's launch, and it just seemed unfinished. Which is pretty surprising as it's from the same devs as Skydrift. Say what you want about Skydrift's graphics, under the hood it runs well enough and is quite fun to play. That's not praise I can extend to MS.

Now, if Platinum were to make an aerial action Touhou game with the same kind of love as MGR and Bayonetta? Ohohohboy, that'd probably be about as hype as Reimu getting into smash!

Last edited:

Narp

Smash Cadet
Oh, do you also mean the series icon on the character select screen? I don't know, the only consistent part of any game is the Touhou kanji 東方 or the full name 東方Project. But I guess the yin and yang symbol would be a good fit for Reimu.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Oh, do you also mean the series icon on the character select screen? I don't know, the only consistent part of any game is the Touhou kanji 東方 or the full name 東方Project. But I guess the yin and yang symbol would be a good fit for Reimu.
I think they mean the splash screen in the reveal trailer. But the series icon would be a Yin-Yang orb would be the series icon no doubt.

Narp

Smash Cadet
I think they mean the splash screen in the reveal trailer. But the series icon would be a Yin-Yang orb would be the series icon no doubt.
Right. I do think it would be weird to pick any one game though. I'm thinking it would just be a generic 東方Project logo in whatever style they come up with.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Right. I do think it would be weird to pick any one game though. I'm thinking it would just be a generic 東方Project logo in whatever style they come up with.
TBF, they did specifically use Dragon Quest XI for the logo when Hero was revealed.

Narp

Smash Cadet
TBF, they did specifically use Dragon Quest XI for the logo when Hero was revealed.
Huh, yeah. That's a good point. I suppose it could go either way for Touhou.
Mechanical Scrollery was a disappointment to me at least. I followed it closely around it's launch, and it just seemed unfinished. Which is pretty surprising as it's from the same devs as Skydrift. Say what you want about Skydrift's graphics, under the hood it runs well enough and is quite fun to play. That's not praise I can extend to MS.

Now, if Platinum were to make an aerial action Touhou game with the same kind of love as MGR and Bayonetta? Ohohohboy, that'd probably be about as hype as Reimu getting into smash!
Unfinished-feeling is a good way to describe it.

Now, Skydrift, yeah, that game's real heckin' good. I only took minor issue with the few odd invisible walls on one or two courses. Are they still adding more content to it? I haven't checked in on it for, what, half a year.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Well, Nintendo and Squeenix were pushing DQXIS pretty hard, weren't they? As cool as it would be, I'm not sure if Nintendo has a specific Touhou game they want to push. Then again, maybe they do and we just don't know it yet. We'll just have to wait and see.
Alternatively, they just use the words "TOUHOU PROJECT" in the same generic font as Altair and Vault Boy.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well, Nintendo and Squeenix were pushing DQXIS pretty hard, weren't they? As cool as it would be, I'm not sure if Nintendo has a specific Touhou game they want to push. Then again, maybe they do and we just don't know it yet. We'll just have to wait and see.
Alternatively, they just use the words "TOUHOU PROJECT" in the same generic font as Altair and Vault Boy.
I'm hoping they go the extra mile and have the words "Touhou Project" appear as the "東方" kanji are swiftly being ink-brushed behind them or something.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Now, Skydrift, yeah, that game's real heckin' good. I only took minor issue with the few odd invisible walls on one or two courses. Are they still adding more content to it? I haven't checked in on it for, what, half a year.
I remember they held a tournament a while back where the winner would select the next racer to add; the guy who won asked for Alice. I've checked my Switch copy, and it said I was running the latest version but no Alice. I also did a quick google search but no dice. Best guess is that either it wasn't scheduled to release by now or it's been quietly delayed.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It occurred to me that if Reimu has a graze mechanic, Sakurai will probably take a couple minutes to explain the phantom hit mechanic that I only found out about just now.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It occurred to me that if Reimu has a graze mechanic, Sakurai will probably take a couple minutes to explain the phantom hit mechanic that I only found out about just now.

Like the ones that occur in this video from 7:50-7:52? Because what you described definitely sounds like a Sakurai thing to do.

"To explain Grazing, let's talk about Glancing Hits. Most of the time, you might not get this, but a Glancing Hit is when an attack just barely hits the opponent. Notice the flashy sparks and sharp sound that is heard when this occurs."

Last edited:

Narp

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping they go the extra mile and have the words "Touhou Project" appear as the "東方" kanji are swiftly being ink-brushed behind them or something.
Oh that would just be the coolest.
I remember they held a tournament a while back where the winner would select the next racer to add; the guy who won asked for Alice. I've checked my Switch copy, and it said I was running the latest version but no Alice. I also did a quick google search but no dice. Best guess is that either it wasn't scheduled to release by now or it's been quietly delayed.
Ah, yeah, last I heard was the Alice thing. Weird that they've been silent, like Team Ladybug. At least Gensokyo Night Festival is getting somewhat regular news updates.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
To give the glitch theory a small bit of credit, if any fighter was going to be used as a base for Reimu, it probably would be Peach or Daisy, mainly due to the floating mechanic. Not to mention that Reimu would have a much shorter dress than the other female characters in Smash, so the fact that the glitch involves Daisy's dress getting shorter is slightly suspicious.

I dunno tho. I'm still a bit iffy on glitch theory overall. The previous examples could just be some odd coincidences.

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice

Everytime I see Touhou Lostword, I always thinking: What will Reimu sound like in Smash?
or she just be silent like Villanger & Isabelle (who talk in their origin game)

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

Like the ones that occur in this video from 7:50-7:52? Because what you described definitely sounds like a Sakurai thing to do.

"To explain Grazing, let's talk about Glancing Hits. Most of the time, you might not get this, but a Glancing Hit is when an attack just barely hits the opponent. Notice the flashy sparks and sharp sound that is heard when this occurs."
Does sound kinda like Grazing from LoLK actually lol.
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm30587005

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
About the Daisy Glitch, it is interesting that it's not some part of Daisy's dress missing, it's straight cut at a specific length. Strangely enough, that length is the perfect length for Reimu's skirt (knee length), the angle of the skirt is also very spot on. And I can't find another characther that wear specifically that kind of skirt, for example Arla Nadja's skirt is quite shorter.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
Sponsor X will hold a live broadcast called "Touhou Danmaku Festival" as part of the 25th Anniversary of Touhou
https://danmaku.jp/

A special program for all those who are familiar with "Touhou" celebrating 25 years
We will deliver a variety of special live performances and the latest information on Touhou content!
EDIT: And looking back on their website. I forgot they also sponsored the Touhou booth for WePlay Game Expo 2019 as well as the recent Flowering Night 2020 broadcast.

Last edited:

VicAdward

Smash Apprentice
Sponsor X will hold a live broadcast called "Touhou Danmaku Festival" as part of the 25th Anniversary of Touhou
https://danmaku.jp/

A special program for all those who are familiar with "Touhou" celebrating 25 years
We will deliver a variety of special live performances and the latest information on Touhou content!

latest information...

It's all Coming Together

Top Bottom