• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this topic has ever been brought up here, but how do you think they would approach Reimu appearance wise? I imagine there is varying approaches they could take.
I think you could totally keep the ZUN style intact in 3D, obviously cleaning it up a bit. I think I'd prefer that to a more generic realistic/anime look, but I can understand why that might be more expedient or universally appealing.

Just as some examples:

Beyond that the broad stylistic choices, some more minor design questions to consider: what color hair would default Reimu have, brown or black? Would her hair be down or in a pony tail? What color should her neck-ribbon be, blue or yellow? How big would her head-ribbon be? How long should her skirt be? Would it have a pattern, like the ones from HSiFS or WBaWC? How BEEEEG would her Gohei be? Stick length, sword length, or staff length?

There's a lot of minor variations across 20 years of design. Would Sakurai give Reimu a design close to EoSD if that's the game that he draws the most from, as some Reimu fans think or fear he might? Or will he stick close to the modern designs?

Edit: well, the Rosalina mod pic keep breaking rip. Guess you'd have to google it. It looks nice within what the 3ds can put out. So instead have another fan smash render

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think you could totally keep the ZUN style intact in 3D, obviously cleaning it up a bit. I think I'd prefer that to a more generic realistic/anime look, but I can understand why that might be more expedient or universally appealing.

Just as some examples:

Beyond that the broad stylistic choices, some more minor design questions to consider: what color hair would default Reimu have, brown or black? Would her hair be down or in a pony tail? What color should her neck-ribbon be, blue or yellow? How big would her head-ribbon be? How long should her skirt be? Would it have a pattern, like the ones from HSiFS or WBaWC? How BEEEEG would her Gohei be? Stick length, sword length, or staff length?

There's a lot of minor variations across 20 years of design. Would Sakurai give Reimu a design close to EoSD if that's the game that he draws the most from, as some Reimu fans think or fear he might? Or will he stick close to the modern designs?
I had a hard time seeing ZUN's style in 3D, so the first image helped out a bit. It's so comparatively common for Touhou characters to be represented more along the lines of a generic aesthetic in 3D works, it's kind of hard to envision something more ZUN inspired for Smash. However, I wouldn't doubt Sakurai would go for it. Sakurai tends to stick close to a characters original aesthetic, especially for third party characters with legacy. Considering past choices, I wouldn't be shocked if Reimu's design is more inspired by an older iconic game(Which I would imagine being EoSD) rather than a newer one.

In general, I think many of the questions you proposed could be reasonably guessed based on how they approached past legacy third parties.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
I don't know if this topic has ever been brought up here, but how do you think they would approach Reimu appearance wise? I imagine there is varying approaches they could take.
Personaly, I see 3 way of how it could go:
1 - She looks like she does in mainline Touhou, but in 3D
2 - Something similar to how she looks in the air fighters, since AoCF is getting a Switch port, at least supposedly
3 - She's more like how she is in one of the manga, like how Cloud has half of his alts based on Advent Children. I think it would be based on either WaHH or Lotus Eater in that case

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Personaly, I see 3 way of how it could go:
1 - She looks like she does in mainline Touhou, but in 3D
2 - Something similar to how she looks in the air fighters, since AoCF is getting a Switch port, at least supposedly
3 - She's more like how she is in one of the manga, like how Cloud has half of his alts based on Advent Children. I think it would be based on either WaHH or Lotus Eater in that case
Are you talking about designs or artstyles, or maybe proportions ? Reimu's appearance varies a lot on many aspects, so it's hard to understand what you mean.

Besides, none of these example are 3D. Sometimes, it's hard to imagine something originally in 2D "but in 3D" just like that.

For example, I usually like the 3D renders from minusT. He posted a short preview recently, Reimu is in it and I think she would be pretty cool in Smash like that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQMPg_B_NsA

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Are talking about designs or artstyles, or maybe proportions ? Reimu's appearance varies a lot on many aspects, so it's hard to understand what you mean.

Besides, none of these example are 3D. Sometimes, it's hard to imagine something originally in 2D "but in 3D" just like that.

For example, I usually like the 3D renders from minusT. He posted a short preview recently, Reimu is in it and I think she would be pretty cool in Smash like that : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQMPg_B_NsA
I think the answers is mix of all of them. All of them are important to bring up and discuss when it comes to appearance.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I don't know if it's been asked here before, but how many cameos will we get in a hypothetical Touhou stage? There's just so many Touhou characters that can be shown that in my opinion, I can see about as much cameos as King of Fighters stadium.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if it's been asked here before, but how many cameos will we get in a hypothetical Touhou stage? There's just so many Touhou characters that can be shown that in my opinion, I can see about as much cameos as King of Fighters stadium.
I'd hope for as many cameos as possible ofc, but I've got no idea who Sakurai would pick.

I think the best and most obvious set up is a party going down at the Hakurei Shrine, since that happens all the time; it's basically the plot of Lotus Eater. It's a great excuse for plenty of characters with little interaction to be in the same place. Would probably have to remove the alcohol references tho.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I don't like much that "ZUN style 3D render" that is floating around lately (that one, also mentionned above), mainly because she looks too small.
I'm not even sure it really looks like ZUN-style, and don't think ZUN style is appealing to begin with. ZUN would probably draw differently if he could.

I'd be interested to know if he's already given examples of artwork that would fit the best in his opinion. At some point, he did explain that the girls should look like teenagers or early teens, and they definitely don't look like it in his style.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Depends on location. Hakurei Shrine would be a good catch-all, but I could see cameo's linked to a specific location if they were to add some form of traveling element.

Edit: Just realized I never actually speculated on the number of possible cameos, rather just the location element. Potential for a ton of them, if they really want to go the full length. Easily could go to the level SNK had.
Personally, I don't like much that "ZUN style 3D render" that is floating around lately (that one, also mentionned above), mainly because she looks too small.
I'm not even sure it really looks like ZUN-style, and don't think ZUN style is appealing to begin with. ZUN would probably draw differently if he could.

I'd be interested to know if he's already given examples of artwork that would fit the best in his opinion. At some point, he did explain that the girls should look like teenagers or early teens, and they definitely don't look like it in his style.
From what I have been able to gather from being relatively new to this fandom, I don't think many would say that the ZUN art style is super good. However, it is the style the series has had since the start. Sure, maybe ZUN would do it differently, but he has certainly stuck to it for decades. And at the end of the day, Sakurai and his team are probably going to have the most influence over this choice. I think they could probably do a great transition of the ZUN style to 3D. They have had a good track record so far(Ken has never looked better in 3D).

There is probably some interview somewhere that delves deeper into this subject.

Last edited:

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman

I mean, it'd probably be a safer bet from Nintendo's perspective to give Reimu a more generic look, rather than risk a negative(?) fan reaction based on a ZUN style. And if ZUN were to ask Reimu not be made to look like his artstyle, I'm sure Sakurai would respect his wishes.

But imho, I think the ZUN art lends a lot of charm. Sure there are many technical errors you can point out, this execution might not get you into art school or anything. But there isn't anything that looks quite like it. And ZUN has definitely improved over the years both to tighten up his execution and make his style his own. Compare PC98 art with LoLK and beyond and the former looks way more stereotypical 90's anime in comparison.

For example, I usually like the 3D renders from minusT. He posted a short preview recently, Reimu is in it and I think she would be pretty cool in Smash like that :
btw this probably goes without saying but minusT kicks ass. Subterranean Stars is seriously up there with the best things to come out of the fandom.

Last edited:

zriL

Smash Journeyman
However, it is the style the series has had since the start. Sure, maybe ZUN would do it differently, but he has certainly stuck to it for decades
Then again, we don't know how much of his style is intended. He did stuck to it while improving a bit, but I don't think it means he wouldn't do it differently if he had the technical skills. Even he if improved, his technique is still very lackluster compared to a professionnal artist, so it doesn't really change anything. He's still probably doing just what he can.

But imho, I think the ZUN art lends a lot of charm. Sure there are many technical errors you can point out, this execution might not get you into art school or anything. But there isn't anything that looks quite like it. And ZUN has definitely improved over the years both to tighten up his execution and make his style his own. Compare PC98 art with LoLK and beyond and the former looks way more stereotypical 90's anime in comparison.
Honestly I'm not sure his style is deliberate, as opposed to just him doing his best, while following the current trends a bit. I think he even stated that there was no men in the cast because he didn't know how to draw men. Or rather I think he meant he couldn't draw men and women differently. His style is definitely unique, but actually you would get many more unique styles by looking into novice artists than professional one. It makes sense because learning techniques usually make one's style a bit formatted.

Moreover, most of the time, if a style isn't seen anywhere else, it's because no one wants to copy it, usually because it's just not appealing. Actual "good" styles are the ones that you see everywhere because everyone is copying it. There is almost no "good" unique styles that stay unique very long, because they tend to get copied, that's how it works. I can see it happen in some cases, when a style requires so much effort that no one would be willing to make the effort to copy it, even if it's good. But that definitely not ZUN's case, it's not hard to copy his style. So in the end, for ZUN's style to have been around for almost 20 years and no one has been influenced by it, it's actually the definitive proof that it's not appealing. So it would probably be a bad choice to use it.

It's funny because ZUN is probably the most notably known average artist ever. But as much as I don't like his style, I do think he has some talent for character design, which is a completely different thing.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Then again, we don't know how much of his style is intended. He did stuck to it while improving a bit, but I don't think it means he wouldn't do it differently if he had the technical skills. Even he if improved, his technique is still very lackluster compared to a professionnal artist, so it doesn't really change anything. He's still probably doing just what he can.

Honestly I'm not sure his style is deliberate, as opposed to just him doing his best, while following the current trends a bit. I think he even stated that there was no men in the cast because he didn't know how to draw men. Or rather I think he meant he couldn't draw men and women differently. His style is definitely unique, but actually you would get many more unique styles by looking into novice artists than professional one. It makes sense because learning techniques usually make one's style a bit formatted.

Moreover, most of the time, if a style isn't seen anywhere else, it's because no one wants to copy it, usually because it's just not appealing. Actual "good" styles are the ones that you see everywhere because everyone is copying it. There is almost no "good" unique styles that stay unique very long, because they tend to get copied, that's how it works. I can see it happen in some cases, when a style requires so much effort that no one would be willing to make the effort to copy it, even if it's good. But that definitely not ZUN's case, it's not hard to copy his style. So in the end, for ZUN's style to have been around for almost 20 years and no one has been influenced by it, it's actually the definitive proof that it's not appealing. So it would probably be a bad choice to use it.

It's funny because ZUN is probably the most notably known average artist ever. But as much as I don't like his style, I do think he has some talent for character design, which is a completely different thing.
I've got to say that I totaly agree with ZUN being a good character designer. Most Touhou characters follows shape and color theory extremly well, 2 of the 3 things they always tell you to follow in character design for beginer videos, the last one being that your characters should be recognisable from their silouhette, and well, Bad Apple's most known version is the shadow art that show how wel you can recognise Touhou characters from thir silouhette.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I believe that in regards to Reimu's character design in Smash, it is very likely for Nintendo to hire a freelance character designer (i.e. HIDARI, Yusuke Kozaki, Tite Kubo, HACCAN, etc.) to design Reimu. ZUN's design is distinct, but I am of the mind Nintendo will likely have someone else different do the design for Smash, as there is generally no consistent design for Touhou characters when it comes to the IP being handled by non-ZUN parties/companies.

Ironically, as Reimu's inclusion in Smash would be her most prominent appearance, especially outside of Japan, whatever design she has would likely become the most well-known, if not the de-facto, design for her outside ZUN's games. Nintendo, Sakurai, and whatever artist who draws Reimu would essentially be responsible for creating a reference that will most likely be heavily used by the Touhou doujin community (unless Nintendo decides to copyright the specific design).

(The idea of a Tetsuya Nomura-designed Reimu is as funny to imagine as it is interesting to see.)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I believe that in regards to Reimu's character design in Smash, it is very likely for Nintendo to hire a freelance character designer (i.e. HIDARI, Yusuke Kozaki, Tite Kubo, HACCAN, etc.) to design Reimu. ZUN's design is distinct, but I am of the mind Nintendo will likely have someone else different do the design for Smash, as there is generally no consistent design for Touhou characters when it comes to the IP being handled by non-ZUN parties/companies.

Ironically, as Reimu's inclusion in Smash would be her most prominent appearance, especially outside of Japan, whatever design she has would likely become the most well-known, if not the de-facto, design for her outside ZUN's games. Nintendo, Sakurai, and whatever artist who draws Reimu would essentially be responsible for creating a reference that will most likely be heavily used by the Touhou doujin community (unless Nintendo decides to copyright the specific design).

(The idea of a Tetsuya Nomura-designed Reimu is as funny to imagine as it is interesting to see.)
Does Nintendo typically bring in freelancers for Smash stuff like this? Maybe I just lack the knowledge about buissness practice, but I don't understand why that would be the case for Reimu specifically.

I totally agree that whatever design Reimu would get, it would become the design for Reimu, especially with how often Smash hits this aspect out of the park. I imagine similar, albeit smaller cases would occur for any Touhou characters that make a cameo(Which does bring up the question of not only interpreting Reimu in Smash, but how other members of the cast would follow her lead if they do appear).

(Obviously doubtful, but it would be really cool to see. Thinking of that makes me recall that one Smash 4 poster Nomura did for Clouds inclusion.)

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Does Nintendo typically bring in freelancers for Smash stuff like this? Maybe I just lack the knowledge about buissness practice, but I don't understand why that would be the case for Reimu specifically.

I totally agree that whatever design Reimu would get, it would become the design for Reimu, especially with how often Smash hits this aspect out of the park. I imagine similar, albeit smaller cases would occur for any Touhou characters that make a cameo(Which does bring up the question of not only interpreting Reimu in Smash, but how other members of the cast would follow her lead if they do appear).

(Obviously doubtful, but it would be really cool to see. Thinking of that makes me recall that one Smash 4 poster Nomura did for Clouds inclusion.)
In regards to Smash, Nintendo and Sakurai are no strangers to bringing aboard artists for the game, at least on the promotional side of things (Smash 4's character posters, Smash Ultimate's countdown campaign), and character design overhauls. :ultpit: and :ultpalutena:'s designs were original to Brawl before it ultimately became the official modern design for the two with KI:U.

For the rest of the cast, I feel that any in-game appearance/cameo of other characters would also be done by whoever is delegated with designing the character. (Say Nintendo hires HIDARI to interpret Reimu for Smash, anyone like Marisa, Cirno, etc. who makes an in-game cameo would also redesigned for Smash by HIDARI).

Touhou stands out in terms of character designs because unless you limit yourself to ZUN's games, there generally isn't a consistent design for the various characters unlike just about the entirety of series represented in Smash.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
In regards to Smash, Nintendo and Sakurai are no strangers to bringing aboard artists for the game, at least on the promotional side of things (Smash 4's character posters, Smash Ultimate's countdown campaign), and character design overhauls. :ultpit: and :ultpalutena:'s designs were original to Brawl before it ultimately became the official modern design for the two with KI:U.

For the rest of the cast, I feel that any in-game appearance/cameo of other characters would also be done by whoever is delegated with designing the character. (Say Nintendo hires HIDARI to interpret Reimu for Smash, anyone like Marisa, Cirno, etc. who makes an in-game cameo would also redesigned for Smash by HIDARI).

Touhou stands out in terms of character designs because unless you limit yourself to ZUN's games, there generally isn't a consistent design for the various characters unlike just about the entirety of series represented in Smash.
Neat, would love to know who was designed by who in the overhaul department, as that sounds rather interesting. Pretty sure Pit and Palutena keeping their designs was also majorly assisted by the directorial presence of Sakurai in both projects.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
I'd imagine Reimu's overall proportions would be more ZUN-styled or at least ressembling the spritework of the fighting games (preferably earlier since they still look fairly chibi there as opposed to actual "anime" standards), but her design would likely ressemble that of the fighting games's (either the earlier three's or the later three's, which means either short-haired black-haired Reimu with a yellow tie ribbon or long-haired brown-haired Reimu with a blue tie ribbon... or maybe mix and match the two in her palettes).

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hmmm, Reimu's smash appearance. I think we can see a mix between ZUN and the more recent fighting games I think a full ZUN style in 3d would look a bit... awkward haha

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, I was considering characters who could possibly cameo in a Touhou stage when I considered an interesting prospect: What if PC-98 exclusive Touhou characters make a cameo? I doubt it would be likely, especially when there is already so many other characters that could cameo(Including the few PC-98 characters who made it to Windows), but it feels like the sort of fanservice surprise Sakurai could pull. If that were to happen, is there any characters you guys would hope for?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So, I was considering characters who could possibly cameo in a Touhou stage when I considered an interesting prospect: What if PC-98 exclusive Touhou characters make a cameo? I doubt it would be likely, especially when there is already so many other characters that could cameo(Including the few PC-98 characters who made it to Windows), but it feels like the sort of fanservice surprise Sakurai could pull. If that were to happen, is there any characters you guys would hope for?
I mean, Sakurai did manage to reference Revelations: Persona with the Aria of the Soul remix, so I wouldn't put it past Sakurai to reference the PC-98 characters. As for the characters I want, there are ten from the top of my head:

1) Reiuji Utsuho
2) Yukari Yakumo
3) Suika Ibuki
4) Yuugi Hoshiguma
5) Sakuya Izayoi
6) Flandre Scarlet
7) Tewi Inaba
8) Yuuka Kazami
9) Cirno
10) Aya Shameimaru

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
For ten characters I think would make a cameo...

1) Marisa Kirisame. Really, this one should go without saying.
2) Sakuya Izayoi
3) Youmu Konpaku
4) Reisen Udongein Inaba
5) Sanae Kochiya
6) Cirno
7) Aya Shameimaru
8) Yukari Yakumo
9) Byakuren Hijiri
10) Toyosatomimi no Miko

This covers every major power in Gensokyo (the SDM, the Netherworld, Eientei, the Moriya Shrine, the Tengu, the Buddhists, the Taoists and Yukari [who is a major power on her own], assuming the Hakurei Shrine is represented by Reimu), plus some characters people likely to see picking up a given Touhou game (All of them are playable in at least two games). And really, Marisa getting a cameo AT LEAST goes without saying. She's the god damn deuteragonist- the second most important character in the series, only after Reimu.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
In terms of design, I doubt that they'd go with a ZUN style. In fact, ZUN would probably give them free reign over how they design her, if the varying styles seen in the mangas and fighting games are anything to go by. However, I think the most reasonable thing to expect is a design based on her spritework from the HM/AoCF era of fighters. A MinusTesque model like the one from Brambly Boundaries would probably work very well as well, so I'm kinda hoping we might get something like that.

As for Cameos, we know Sakurai is a stickler for details, so I think it's likely we'll get characters based on whatever the stage is, as opposed to just being the popular ones. HM and the mangas kinda give us an idea of what characters we could probably expect on what stage.

So for example, if the stage was the Hakurei Shrine, we'd see characters that visit the shrine often, like:
-Marisa
-Yukari
-Remilia and Sakuya
-Yuyuko and Youmu
-Sanae
-Sunny, Luna, and Star
-Kasen
-Mamizou
-Clownpiece
-Sumireko
-Suika
-Miyoi

Meanwhile we could also potentially get a travelling stage that alternates between different areas (like what Byleth got), in which case we'd almost certainly get characters that suit the areas in question.

One thing's for sure though: Marisa will be a cameo. Even if she's literally the only one, she will be there in some way.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
As for Cameos, we know Sakurai is a stickler for details, so I think it's likely we'll get characters based on whatever the stage is, as opposed to just being the popular ones. HM and the mangas kinda give us an idea of what characters we could probably expect on what stage.
I am not too certain about this, as he did put in an older Rock Howard despite its inconsistency timeline wise, specifically justifying it with the the nature of Smash as a series. I am not entirely sure if Rock Howard is a big fan favorite in the SNK community(Maximilian Dood is a big example of someone losing it over his inclusion, but that is one specific case), but it does feel like his inclusion was putting legacy and fanservice over logic.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
In terms of design, I doubt that they'd go with a ZUN style. In fact, ZUN would probably give them free reign over how they design her, if the varying styles seen in the mangas and fighting games are anything to go by. However, I think the most reasonable thing to expect is a design based on her spritework from the HM/AoCF era of fighters. A MinusTesque model like the one from Brambly Boundaries would probably work very well as well, so I'm kinda hoping we might get something like that.

So for example, if the stage was the Hakurei Shrine, we'd see characters that visit the shrine often, like:
-Marisa
-Yukari
-Remilia and Sakuya
-Yuyuko and Youmu
-Sanae
-Sunny, Luna, and Star
-Kasen
-Mamizou
-Clownpiece
-Sumireko
-Suika
-Miyoi

Meanwhile we could also potentially get a travelling stage that alternates between different areas (like what Byleth got), in which case we'd almost certainly get characters that suit the areas in question.

One thing's for sure though: Marisa will be a cameo. Even if she's literally the only one, she will be there in some way.
I expect Marisa would probably do better than even a simple cameo. She certainly rates more! I remain convinced that were Reimu to make it in, Marisa would appear either as part of her Final Smash (like Chrom) or as a taunt (like Morgana).

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, I wasn't expecting to see those get ported to Steam. I thought most of the older games lost their coding but I am happy nonetheless. Unless it's EOSD to IN of course.

Honestly more exposure to Touhou and more ways to support ZUN the better here.

zferolie

Smash Hero
God i love SA. Such great music, and i think one of the better stories and bosses of the series. Yes okuu was a bit of a bird brain, but she really was our first villain that outright wanted to destroy Gensokyo and the world really. Plus her theme, and those klaxons with her spell card were fantastic.

Here is one of my favlorite remixs of it, as well as that great animation done years ago for this game

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
I was pretty out of the loop in terms of speculations lately, and this helped me understand what's been happening, thanks

Also, a little late, but in terms of what characters I think might cameo...

1. Kirisame Marisa
2. Kochiya Sanae
3. Komano Aunn
4. Ibuki Suika
5. Ibaraki Kasen
6. Three Fairies of Light (they're three but whatevs)
7. Shameimaru Aya
8. Cirno
9. Yakumo Yukari
10. Morichaka Rinnosuke
11. Mima

Didn't include Shinmyomaru cuz she might be a little too small

In Hakurei Shrine:
1. Ibaraki Kasen
2. Yakumo Yukari

In Koumakan Entrance:
3. Meiling
4. Izayoi Sakuya

In Human Village:
5. Kamishirasawa Keine

In Garden of the Sun:
6. Kazami Yuka (Garden of the Sun)

In Youkai Mountain:
7. Kawashiro Nitori
8. Shameimaru Aya

In Myouren Temple:
9. Hijiri Byakuren

Appears randomly:
10. Kirisame Marisa

It was tougher to narrow it down to 10 when it's the touring stage, since there are limits to where the stage can visit and to visit more places I had to only pick one or two characters per location.

I actually want to make this into a fun little question; what locations do you think we should have if we were to get a stage that tours the entire Gensokyo?
I know it's most likely that we will just get Hakurei Shrine but I'm curious to what everyone thinks.
Mine's already pretty much listed up there but the number was limited, so if I were to add a little more the full list in no specific order would be:

-Hakurei Shrine
-Human Village
-Forest of Magic (Alice's House)
-Myouren Temple Entrance (with the Palanquin Ship in the sky)
-Bamboo Forest of the Lost (Eientei Entrance)
-Koumakan Entrance (Misty Lake)
-Youkai Mountain (The Great Youkai Forest)
-Moriya Shrine
-Garden of the Sun

I was pretty conservative with the places I think the stage could travel to (no skies, no going underground) and tried to keep it inside Gensokyo, so I unfortunately couldn't include places like the Underworld, Sanzu River, Hakugyokuro, etc.

But you can apply your own rules, so I wanna see what you guys can come up with!

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
For a touring stage, here are my thoughts. I'm not giving any restrictions here, but here'd be my list.

Hakurei Shrine: Sunny, Luna, Star, Kasen, Suika, Aunn, Shinmyoumaru, and, if she's not an active fighter, Reimu.
Human Village: Rinnosuke, Keine, Kosuzu, Akyuu, Miyoi.
Forest of Magic: Marisa, Alice.
Misty Lake: Sekibanki, Kagerou, Wakasagihime, Daiyousei, Cirno, Rumia
Scarlet Devil Mansion: Meiling, Koakuma, Patchouli, Sakuya, Remilia, Flandre.
Myouren Temple: Kyouko, Nazrin, Kogasa, Minamitsu, Shou, Byakuren, Nue, Mamizou.
Eientei: Tewi, Reisen, Eirin, Kaguya, Mokou, Rei'sen, Yorihime, Toyohime.
Youkai Mountain: Aya, Nitori, Momiji, Shizuha, Minoriko, Hina.
Moriya Shrine: Sanae, Kanako, Suwako.
Divine Spirit Mausoleum: Yoshika, Seiga, Tojiko, Futo, Miko.
Muenzuka: Yuuka, Medicine, Komachi, Eiki.
Palace of the Earth Spirits: Kisume, Yamame, Parsee, Yuugi, Satori, Rin, Utsuho, Koishi.
Mayohiga: Chen, Ran, Yukari.
Hakugyokurou: Lunasa, Lyrica, Merlin, Youmu, Yuyuko.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hmmm, honestly I feel just being at Hakurei Shrine is the best way to represent Touhou, as pretty much all the Yokai go to visit and bother Reimu there, plus quite a few incidents have to do with the shrine getting busted. I think any character could appear in the background of the shrine and fit, and we could get more cameos then Terry got for his stage as well. Here are some I think are likely and would like to see.

Marisa, Sanae, Aya, Tewi, Reisen, Kaguya, Erin, Moku, Cirno, Remilia, Sakuya, Flandre, Yukari, Ran, Chen, Alice, Tenshi, Ibuki, Ibaraki, god and many more.

Though if we get guests on the stage, I honestly want them to do more then just sit in the background, at least for some of them. The Yokai love to have a fun danmaku fight and I can see a lot of them jumping in to do an attack or so. Could be simular to the pokemon in stages, or like the summon Materia that you actually touch the character for them to attack. Here are a few I can see.

Marisa: Does a Master Spark Accross the stage.
Sakuya: Time stops, and summon knifes.
Yukari: Opens portals around the stages that teleports people around, and ends with an old subway train smashing through.
Tenshi: Actually jumps on the stage and fights a bit like the guy from the earthbound stage, ends with Keystones dropping on people.
Cirno: Freezes people, but has very easy to dodge danmaku
Ibuki: Grows Giant and starts stomping on people
Tewi and Reisen: Work together, one using a bunch of rabbits to build pitfalls and Reisen warping space with her Lunatic eyes.
Flandre and Remilia: Also works together for a tag team attack.
Okuu: Creates a Giant sun that rains danmaku from the sky.
Kogasa: Spooks people with her umbrella.
Yuuka: Spawns some sunflowers, and if you touch one, it gets destroyed, and she flies at you giving you a massive punch.
Shinmyoumaru: Hits people with her Hammer to shrink them.
Nue: Summons multiple UFO's that do tracktor beams to pick up people

Man there are so many more to pick too.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
People often talk about how ports of old Touhou games are unlikely because ZUN lost the source code.
Often times people dont even know where the statement is from, another half of the fandom thinks the information is just made up.

But its still true that he did indeed lose the Source Code to these.
Theres a recent japanese news article that talks about this topic again (due to a Nikenme Radio broadcast i think),
and why its unlikely we will see most of the old games on Steam.

https://automaton-media.com/articles/newsjp/20200529-125704/

Oborochi

Smash Rookie
People often talk about how ports of old Touhou games are unlikely because ZUN lost the source code.
Often times people dont even know where the statement is from, another half of the fandom thinks the information is just made up.

But its still true that he did indeed lose the Source Code to these.
Theres a recent japanese news article that talks about this topic again (due to a Nikenme Radio broadcast i think),
and why its unlikely we will see most of the old games on Steam.

https://automaton-media.com/articles/newsjp/20200529-125704/
The translation for this article is as follows (there may be a few errors, but I hope you'll be able to understand the article)

The creation of ZUN's Touhou Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil (EoSD)'s steam release seems difficult due to the lack of the source code. ZUN, the main personality for the Web talk show "Starting from the second shop radio" episode 117th’s broadcast, the above content was discussed.

Before we get to the main topic, let's review "Touhou Embodiment of the Scarlet Devil". EoSD is the sixth installment of Tohou Project, a danmaku STG for Windows that was distributed at Comic Market 62 in 2002. Set in a fantasy world shrouded in red mist, Reimu Hakurei and Marisa Kirisame ride into a Western-style building in order to resolve the incident. It features familiar character such ass the vampire Remilia Scarlett and Sakuya Izayoi. It It's one of five Touhou Project Windows titles that are not currently available on Steam, with the exception of Touhou Mountain of Faith, Touhou Subterranean Animism, and Touhou Undefined Fantastic Object, which will be released on June 6. Though it is an older title, a Google search for EoSD shows that there are many new fans looking for a way to get it, with related keywords such as Steam, smartphone, PS4, and release date being the most common searches.

One of the problems with EoSD is that other Windows versions of Touhou Project doesn't run properly on Windows 10. Specifically, it runs super fast, with frame rates reaching four digits when launched in full screen. If played as it is, only a second will pass before the player would encountered Rumia with no lives. ZUN specifically had no idea what was going on. He tried to run it in window mode instead of full screen, but it failed to shift to the title screen, and the background music kept playing (this is in the author’s situation_ This is to be expected since it's a year after Windows XP was released, let alone Windows 10. But if a downloadable version on Steam was to be sold, these issues need to be addressed. If you want to play EoSD on Windows 10, please refer to the patches and various procedures that have been created by volunteers.

In the 117th episode of "Starting from the second shop radio" broadcasted on May 28, ZUN, the main personality, and Tetsuro Ogonogi, the editor of "Starting from the second shop radio", and other members close to him appeared using the meeting application ZOOM. As the talk progressed over drinks, Beat mario said "Please do something about EoSD:, and began talks about the missing Touhou titles that are not released on Steam.

Ru, one of the members on the show, said that "Perfect Cherry Blossom" and "Imperishable Night" would run on Windows 10 and could be released as it is if Steam;s test team would allow it, however EoSD would not run on Windows 10 and therefore could not be released. When he said that it would be quicker to remake the exe for EoSD, ZUN told us that he couldn't do that either because he didn't have the source code. It seems unlikely that EoSD will be released as is on Steam.

In the conversation about how to recreating the original, ZUN jokingly commented, "If I can't recreate something, I could just remake it and make money. I don't want to do a remake now because I think there's more demand for a new game rather than a remake," he said, which indicates how there might be an EoSD release someday. There was also the fact that it was a coincidence that all three titles were released on June 6th, and there was talk of putting Touhou Phantasmagoria of Flower View (which has a competitive mode), on Steam to support multiplayer. However ZUN said it seemed technically challenging. It should be noted that although the above was broadcast, it was a conversation in which alcohol was being consumed.

Though the broadcast was on youtube, the stream eventually progressed into gameplay of professional gamer Daigo Umehara clearing the Extra Stage of "Wily Beast and Weakest Creature" on Mildom. Remarks like “The more you get used to Touhou, the more you complain.” The event also featured live commentary from the developers. Since the broadcast also touched upon design and aim were also mentioned, those who are interested in this topic might want to watch Mr. Umehara’s broadcast as well.

Credits to PurpleXCompleX PurpleXCompleX for the link, and myself for the translation.

zriL

Smash Journeyman
So what do you think we'll get on June 6th during the Indie Show ? There can't be no Touhou annoucement there since ZUN is listed as the first guest, especially when ZUN seems to be willing to push Touhou forward lately. Since it might be too soon to announce Touhou 18, I wonder what would be interesting enough to announce there. There is already a Tasofro game in the making so there can't be another one, maybe we'll get a demo for 17.5.

But I wonder if there could be something bigger to announce, it could be Reimu in Smash, but it could be entirely something else. I wish ZUN tried to make a more ambitious game with a team behind him, that would be cool.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So what do you think we'll get on June 6th during the Indie Show ? There can't be no Touhou annoucement there since ZUN is listed as the first guest, especially when ZUN seems to be willing to push Touhou forward lately. Since it might be too soon to announce Touhou 18, I wonder what would be interesting enough to announce there. There is already a Tasofro game in the making so there can't be another one, maybe we'll get a demo for 17.5.

But I wonder if there could be something bigger to announce, it could be Reimu in Smash, but it could be entirely something else. I wish ZUN tried to make a more ambitious game with a team behind him, that would be cool.
Im sure we will get some touhou announcement. It has to happen. What that will be is anyones guess.

Watch it be something crazy like reimu for smash, and then at the arms the announce someone else too.

Top Bottom