• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Luna Nights is fantastic. Fangames like that are the best possible brand ambassadors for Touhou. That reminds me, I need to check out Gensokyo Night Festival.
Now that there is a greater flow of these games hitting Switch, I'd love to see some of the older releases make the jump.

Official ports of Koumajo Densetsu 1/2, Super Marisa World, and RemiDoki? That's the good stuff.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
I still think the leak has a chance since it wasn’t debunked yet but I also believe that if Reimu isn’t FP5 then it was a fake leak simply because of the timing. This music leak started in the beginning of the year meaning the Doujin circles were approached by Sora/Sakurai to make remixes or oversee some songs. Kirkhope did the same thing for B&K in April or so and the character was revealed a few months after and released 5 months later. It would seem odd if FP5 is someone else and they approached people to make music so far in advanced before even deciding that they are making more DLC characters post pass.

So for me this last FP character decides the legitimacy of the music leak. I’ll still have hope that Reimu will make it in if that’s the case, she just unfortunately won’t have any evidence backing her potential inclusion anymore.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I still think the leak has a chance since it wasn’t debunked yet but I also believe that if Reimu isn’t FP5 then it was a fake leak simply because of the timing. This music leak started in the beginning of the year meaning the Doujin circles were approached by Sora/Sakurai to make remixes or oversee some songs. Kirkhope did the same thing for B&K in April or so and the character was revealed a few months after and released 5 months later. It would seem odd if FP5 is someone else and they approached people to make music so far in advanced before even deciding that they are making more DLC characters post pass.

So for me this last FP character decides the legitimacy of the music leak. I’ll still have hope that Reimu will make it in if that’s the case, she just unfortunately won’t have any evidence backing her potential inclusion anymore.
Unless of course that one leak that states KOS-MOS is Fighter #5 with Reimu and Ryu following behind for the post-Pass ends up being true, which would make the whole contingency planning theory hilarious in hindsight. Reimu and Ryu are some of the most discussed characters in Smash speculation, and have been discussed numerous times in the past year through varying lengths even before more we were publicly informed of that there would be more DLC.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
Honestly? I still think the leak might be legit. Not only has it not been disproven yet (funnily enough, the one major attempt to disprove it ended up making the leak seem even more legit) but I think the circumstantial evidence also gives that leak a hell of a lot more legs to stand on than any other leak we've had so far. Usually it'd seem like way too much wishful thinking for someone to be able to both leak a character and their entire song list, but the Touhou doujin scene is quite different from the usual corporations Nintendo deal with, it seems a lot more plausible to me that someone who's an insider for Tasofro would be able to piece together that Nintendo were aiming to do something with Touhou, especially considering that tracklist has a couple of songs Tasofro produced themselves for the fighter games, which'd then make sense for the "insider" to know what songs and which circles are making remixes for these tracks, especially since I presume NDA would be far harder to control with doujin circles since they're not necessarily companies on their own.

The thing with the Yukari speculation in a sense makes me feel a bit more like the leak might be legit as well honestly, if it's just an employee trying to fantasize and speculate things from what he actually knows to come to the conclusion that all this work is for something Smash-related. That said, the Grinch leak proved that nothing can ever actually be certain, so I'm not necessarily expecting the leak to be real just in case, just thinking that out of the ones we've had so far it has the strongest legs to stand on. Either way, I don't think this leak necessarily is bound to by time either, what we were given was a tracklist, it'd make sense to me still if Reimu wasn't FP5 but fighter 2 or 3 of the next pass instead if they're really planning on getting so many circles to compose arrangements for her pack.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
The thing with the Yukari speculation in a sense makes me feel a bit more like the leak might be legit as well honestly, if it's just an employee trying to fantasize and speculate things from what he actually knows to come to the conclusion that all this work is for something Smash-related.
Personally, this part sounds like a gameplay snippet he saw, assuming it's real. Reimu's stage would likely feature cameos from her series. Sakurai has cleverly referenced moments like Cloud "using" Frog Song on Prince Sable, one of Hero's Taunts having Slime as well as its cameo appearance in Yggdrasil's Altar, and all the Persona 5 and SNK cameos in their own stages as well. It's far more believable that what he saw was actually Yukari as a background character floating near Reimu with Developer Mode angles. Her move-kit is varied enough for her to stand on her own. She doesn't need an Assist character whatsoever.

ABC Swoops

Smash Rookie
Personally, this part sounds like a gameplay snippet he saw, assuming it's real. Reimu's stage would likely feature cameos from her series. Sakurai has cleverly referenced moments like Cloud "using" Frog Song on Prince Sable, one of Hero's Taunts having Slime as well as its cameo appearance in Yggdrasil's Altar, and all the Persona 5 and SNK cameos in their own stages as well. It's far more believable that what he saw was actually Yukari as a background character floating near Reimu with Developer Mode angles. Her move-kit is varied enough for her to stand on her own. She doesn't need an Assist character whatsoever.
This gets me thinking of Yukari possibly appearing in one of Reimu's taunts, and I honestly think it would be hilarious if that did end up happening. Though admittedly, I do think it is more likely that she'd be a background character considering that all other DLC stages have had guest characters appear.

Narp

Smash Cadet
This gets me thinking of Yukari possibly appearing in one of Reimu's taunts, and I honestly think it would be hilarious if that did end up happening. Though admittedly, I do think it is more likely that she'd be a background character considering that all other DLC stages have had guest characters appear.
Yukari reaching out and grabbing someone from beyond a gap for Reimu's Final Smash would be heckin' rad.

Last edited:

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I still say it could be a take on a travelling stage where nothing moves on its own, but instead Yukari portals the platforms and players to different locations across Gensokyo.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Yukari is best suited as a boss on Reimu's stage imo. She's one of the most iconic Touhou bosses after all! Heck, if you just google "Bullet Hell" you're immeditely greeted with a picture of Boundary of Life and Death.

D

Deleted member

Yukari is best suited as a boss on Reimu's stage imo. She's one of the most iconic Touhou bosses after all! Heck, if you just google "Bullet Hell" you're immeditely greeted with a picture of Boundary of Life and Death.
We have yet to get a DLC Stage with stage bosses, mind you.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Hearing about the duo thing finally. Somehow missed that entire conversation. Personally I do hope it’s Reimu and Yukari if that did happen. Since Yukari is my favorite Touhou character.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I like Yukari, but frankly, I just don't think she's important enough to justify something so prominent as being part of Reimu's moveset/taunts/whatnot. The only character who could possibly justify that in my mind is Marisa, since she's just as important to the series as Reimu. Nobody else is playing on the same level.

With that said, Yukari is excellent stage hazard/stage cameo material, and I'd expect she'd be one of those on the inevitable Hakurei Shrine stage for sure.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Papagwnos brought up Reimu again in his latest video. Just saying she is still in the running and has more supporting her too woth terrys music and that line sakurai said.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
From reading the leaker's posts, seems like the rumors are heavily tied with AoCF.
Yukari's rumor says she has moves from AoCF. That track list has a lot of music from AoCF too. If the image he uploaded was indeed from the inside, then the leaker must have a connection with Tasofro.
So if it's a crossover specifically with AoCF rather than Touhou series as a whole, Reimu & Yukari tag team makes sense. Perfect Possession will be their main gimmick in that case.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
From reading the leaker's posts, seems like the rumors are heavily tied with AoCF.
Yukari's rumor says she has moves from AoCF. That track list has a lot of music from AoCF too. If the image he uploaded was indeed from the inside, then the leaker must have a connection with Tasofro.
So if it's a crossover specifically with AoCF rather than Touhou series as a whole, Reimu & Yukari tag team makes sense. Perfect Possession will be their main gimmick in that case.
Honestly I'm okay either way with whether or not Yukari is incorporated in her moveset or not. Personally I think Yukari will probably just be a stage hazard or cameo or something, but it would make quite a bit of sense to incorporate her in the character itself, especially considering AoCF is coming out on the switch; it'd be the perfect way to not only represent Touhou but to also advertise the port for the system to get Western newcomers to the series from Reimu's inclusion into being potential fans by referencing a great fighter on the system to them, which'd honestly be the easiest way to get most people into the series in general.

Also just realizing, if Yukari is part of Reimu's moveset, I wonder if that'll mean her final smash will be a mix of Fantasy Heaven and Yukari's infamous train spellcard, ahah, that'd be so beautiful to see visualized in smash.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
It certainly would make sense in that case, but I have a hard time believing that we'd get Reimu so specifically tied to AoCF when Touhou is such a massive series. It would also mean that Yukari would be just as prominent as Reimu in Smash as the face of Touhou, which feels all kinds of wrong.

Last edited:

cwbaaa

Smash Cadet
I can't help but find it suspicious that so much would be based on AoCF. Sure, it's the first official game that's going to be hitting the Switch, but it just seems incredibly weird for it to turn out that way. Does it seem like the leaker has a bias towards that game in particular?

It's starting to sound more and more like speculation and thoughts that just turned into a rumor once AoCF got announced for Switch.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
I can't help but find it suspicious that so much would be based on AoCF. Sure, it's the first official game that's going to be hitting the Switch, but it just seems incredibly weird for it to turn out that way. Does it seem like the leaker has a bias towards that game in particular?

It's starting to sound more and more like speculation and thoughts that just turned into a rumor once AoCF got announced for Switch.
I think most of those rumors are just speculations from doujin circles. In fact, the leaker said that he thinks any rumors of how Touhou will be represented are 70% fake.
In the end, the information he is relying on are simple.
1. The rumor "Blank Koubou is composing Touhou remixes for Smash".
2. The amount of tracks in the list.
3. The source who is a doujin guy but composes actual commercial game music.

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Why is it that people jump to Yukari when it comes to AoCF's possession mechanic? It is true that Reimu teamed up with Yukari in her story to solve the incident but she is also seen teaming up with other characters as well in the other story routes. The whole gimmick is that anyone can be possessed. I'd say, if we get a possessing gimmick, it would be Marisa as the deuteragonist of the series. I am biased, I know that, but a man can dream. Though I'm not sure if I even want all that focus on AoCF alone. Reimu's legacy is just to big to just focus on one game. Would be kind of a waste in my opinion. Especially with the iconic Hisoutensoku still being relevant.

As a side note: Imagine if we'd get 2 fighters in one with the possession gimmick. Switching between character like PT does. A man can dream.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
As a side note: Imagine if we'd get 2 fighters in one with the possession gimmick. Switching between character like PT does. A man can dream.
IF through perfect possession we were gifted a 2-in-1 Touhou Fighter, they would have to be Reimu and Marisa. I know Yukari makes some sense, looking at IN, SA, and AoCF, but c'moooon! Marisa has been the constant deuteragonist for almost 20 years, she deserves to share the spotlight.

Edit: whoops, only read the last bit, didn't mean to repeat everything you said lol

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah, Marisa is so much more important than anyone else that if Touhou were to get 2 characters represented in any significant way, Marisa would have to be #2. I think she's important enough that even if Reimu is a solo character, Marisa should still appear in a taunt, the FS, or even maybe just the victory screen. It's a Robin & Chrom situation, except way more so.

Guritsu

Smash Apprentice
When put like that, yeah it does seem more like speculation to me. Honestly if the leaker actually is a worker at Tasofro then weirdly enough I do think this speculation adds to some potential legitimacy on their part, if they're an employee they wouldn't be let in on everything other than the essentials of what they and their other workers have to do right?

Still even if it did happen I don't think it would be too far-fetched, Marisa is obviously the 2nd most prominent character in the series aside from Reimu, but Yukari is still a major character lore-wise as she's had several manga appearances and been referenced several times throughout the main games, I don't think it'd be an understatement to call her one of the most important characters in the series, especially with her hinted ties to the outside world story with maribel and renko. Not to mention the moveset potential even if she was relegated to just being used for one or two special attacks would be great considering her gapping abilities. God I just want to hear her themes in the game either way, Necrofantasia is such a fantastic track (a sentiment shard by Toby Fox, considering he told ZUN he played Necrofantasia for his Church summer camp on piano when he was younger.)

Last edited:

Wrathful_Scythe

Smash Journeyman
Yukari is not only important but also iconic, I am not denying that. She is still more of a support character, though. More relevant than the likes of Aunn or Futo for sure and also a playable character at one point in the past, but still a support character. She is generally sleeping acting in the shadows and acts only if the situation requires it. AoCF is an exception in this case. But this is just an exchange of opinions at this point. I want Marisa in so I'm kinda set on the notion that Marisa is more likely than Yukari.

It comes down to what Sakurai would envision. There are a lot of "if"s connected after all. Maybe we get Youmu because he thinks that the game needs another swordie.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
When put like that, yeah it does seem more like speculation to me. Honestly if the leaker actually is a worker at Tasofro then weirdly enough I do think this speculation adds to some potential legitimacy on their part, if they're an employee they wouldn't be let in on everything other than the essentials of what they and their other workers have to do right?

Still even if it did happen I don't think it would be too far-fetched, Marisa is obviously the 2nd most prominent character in the series aside from Reimu, but Yukari is still a major character lore-wise as she's had several manga appearances and been referenced several times throughout the main games, I don't think it'd be an understatement to call her one of the most important characters in the series, especially with her hinted ties to the outside world story with maribel and renko. Not to mention the moveset potential even if she was relegated to just being used for one or two special attacks would be great considering her gapping abilities. God I just want to hear her themes in the game either way, Necrofantasia is such a fantastic track (a sentiment shard by Toby Fox, considering he told ZUN he played Necrofantasia for his Church summer camp on piano when he was younger.)
Yukari's a key part of the Touhou universe, but I don't think she's even Top 10 popularity, and has only had one proper playable appearance. It would be so bizarre for her to appear in Smash over Marisa, who is the Luigi of Touhou and appears in every single place Reimu does. I think that would very much so misrepresent Touhou to Smash fans, and I say this as a big fan of Yukari, for the record.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
All this tag team stuff could line up with the Milk Bosatu leaks. Remember those?
They said the female character isn't Reimu but has a flying weapon and Japanese clothes.
None of the female background characters in the King Of Fighters stadium had any flying weapons.
Perhaps the leaker was looking at Reimu's tag team partner.
Milk Bosatu's leaks were pretty accurate at some things like an Akira Koriyama character getting in and this being the Dragon Quest hero without female alts and the Nintendo VR (though the VR was rumored earlier).

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
All this tag team stuff could line up with the Milk Bosatu leaks. Remember those?
They said the female character isn't Reimu but has a flying weapon and Japanese clothes.
None of the female background characters in the King Of Fighters stadium had any flying weapons.
Perhaps the leaker was looking at Reimu's tag team partner.
Milk Bosatu's leaks were pretty accurate at some things like an Akira Koriyama character getting in and this being the Dragon Quest hero without female alts and the Nintendo VR (though the VR was rumored earlier).
Yukari dresses in more of a Western style and doesn't use a flying weapon, though.

SKX31

Smash Master
Hey, dropping by from the Newcomer Speculation thread. Yea, I'm the guy who's been keeping tabs on the whole China release thing.

TheTuninator TheTuninator , you mentioned that Touhou was very much a big deal in China once I believe? I think I actually have some hard data on that. Gensou Skydrift's Switch trailer got shared by a pretty popular Weibo (Chinese Twitter) account covering the Switch. The trailer has 250K+ views there (Weibo, AFAIK, doesn't inflate its viewercount unlike the Chinese streaming sites) alongside 2000 retweets.

So yeah, you weren't kidding when you said that. Guess Touhou's chances actually is pretty good partly because of the Chinese factor (which might not matter to Sakurai, but to Furukawa, Nintendo's President and the main guy who gives Sakurai the list of characters to choose from, with Sakurai having the final say).

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
At Anime NYC this weekend and made it a point to get a Reimu plush for luck and the mission was a success.

Took a bit to find, but there were Patchouli plushies everywhere.

YatsumeAna

Smash Rookie
At Anime NYC this weekend and made it a point to get a Reimu plush for luck and the mission was a success.

Took a bit to find, but there were Patchouli plushies everywhere.
I did the same but with a Marisa plush and a Sakuya Fumo plush. Hope our girl Reimu makes it in!

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Hey, dropping by from the Newcomer Speculation thread. Yea, I'm the guy who's been keeping tabs on the whole China release thing.

TheTuninator TheTuninator , you mentioned that Touhou was very much a big deal in China once I believe? I think I actually have some hard data on that. Gensou Skydrift's Switch trailer got shared by a pretty popular Weibo (Chinese Twitter) account covering the Switch. The trailer has 250K+ views there (Weibo, AFAIK, doesn't inflate its viewercount unlike the Chinese streaming sites) alongside 2000 retweets.

So yeah, you weren't kidding when you said that. Guess Touhou's chances actually is pretty good partly because of the Chinese factor (which might not matter to Sakurai, but to Furukawa, Nintendo's President and the main guy who gives Sakurai the list of characters to choose from, with Sakurai having the final say).
Cool! Yeah, it definitely seems like having the Chinese playerbase in the mix can only be good for Reimu's chances.

Top Bottom