• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Out of curiosity do you think Reimu is among the most likely characters for DLC or top 10, top 20 at minimum?
I operate under the assumption that no character is likely unless there is reliable information that says otherwise (Hero and SImon being good examples). Often times, I operate based on categories. Like, if X series gets another rep it will be X character or if X company gets a rep it will be X character. For Reimu, I say she's the most likely indie (Alongside Shantae before she got Spirited). Whether you think an indie is likely or not, is up to you.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Yukkuri ****eitte ne!

forgot the censor was a thing, oops. :laugh:

Out of curiosity do you think Reimu is among the most likely characters for DLC or top 10, top 20 at minimum?
I'm fully convinced that Hayabusa and Doom Slayer are the likeliest characters to happen at some point, with everyone else being a total unknown. So far, there has yet to be any competent leakers with legitimate sources for their ridiculous claims. For instance, there's been like one single KOS-MOS leak last year that ended up being complete bogus. So unless Verge and/or Sabi make statements that very closely hint toward characters, I just assume that every character that has yet to make a presence is a potential qualifier. As Perfectchaos83 stated, Reimu seems the likeliest choice if Sakurai considers an Indie rep.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Marisa > Reimu though, fight me.
Why would I fight you for objective fact?

Anyways, as far as my own thoughts on Reimu go...

I'd argue the Spell Gauge from ULiL and AoCF would be nice addition (perhaps linked to Grazing) and perhaps the Spirit Gauge from the grounded fighters, which would allow Reimu temporary freeform flight (a la Hisoutensoku) to augment her recovery (It would essentially trigger on a third and fourth jump). Or even just a float akin to Peach/Daisy. Flying is kind of Reimu's thing (Well it's actually the thing of pretty much EVERY Touhou character, but Reimu especially).

As for how likely I think Reimu is? To put it simply, since the sans Mii Costume, I've been convinced that Reimu's chances are at an all-time high. Toby Fox has been a long-time fan of Touhou, and the fact that he's been shown to be on good terms with Sakurai (who is also a fan of shmups), means that there's a very high chance Reimu is at least being considered. I wouldn't say Top 10 per se, but JUST bordering on it. Like... 11th or 12th now maybe.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
Personally, I see that Reimu's chances are considerably high since she's one of the few big Indie Reps left to represent. After being offered Shantae as a Spirit, Shovel Knight as an Assist Trophy, and Sans as a Mii coustume (with a song), the only form of foreseeable representation left is a playable fighter.

For all wek now, Sakurai could have been planning Reimu for a relatively long time. I'm sure he's seen how popular Touhou is in his home country. It has a significant legacy and would represent a new genre in Smash.

Outside of Indie Reps, I'm sure she would be top 5 overall perhaps.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably in the minority when saying this, but I don't consider Reimu an indie rep. Touhou represents doujinshi and Japanese PC gaming far more than it does indies.

Sure, Touhou technically is an indie franchise, as it's made by a single person. But doujinshi has an entire cultural aspect to it that the typical indies like Shovel Knight, Shantae and Cave Story don't have. And while you can argue that Touhou has made a stronger impact than your modern indies, I think modern indies deserve the recognition as well for sticking with Nintendo even at their lowest point (the Wii U era) and for continuing to show strong support for the Switch. So yes, I think there's precedence for Reimu to get in alongside a character like Shantae. Although they're both made by small teams, what they represent is completely different when looking at the grand scheme of gaming as a whole.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I'm probably in the minority when saying this, but I don't consider Reimu an indie rep. Touhou represents doujinshi and Japanese PC gaming far more than it does indies.

Sure, Touhou technically is an indie franchise, as it's made by a single person. But doujinshi has an entire cultural aspect to it that the typical indies like Shovel Knight, Shantae and Cave Story don't have. And while you can argue that Touhou has made a stronger impact than your modern indies, I think modern indies deserve the recognition as well for sticking with Nintendo even at their lowest point (the Wii U era) and for continuing to show strong support for the Switch. So yes, I think there's precedence for Reimu to get in alongside a character like Shantae. Although they're both made by small teams, what they represent is completely different when looking at the grand scheme of gaming as a whole.
You're definitely right when it comes to her categorization and status as a video game character, but the reason the popular opinion declares her as an Indie character is the strange middle-ground she's situated in. The fan content associated with her franchise is a symptom of its strong fanbase, but the way that it's being handled plays out like a Public Domain property that encourages the fan content she comes with.

It's to the point that Touhou's fan-made content exists for the purpose of attracting a market where variety is appreciated. ZUN and the fanbase have done superbly at keeping things all together, but the unique nature of how his series generates its popularity without jumping toward well-budgeted status is what places it in that Urban Legend of limbo category. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how many collabs she's been in. We want her in Smash because let's face it: She's pretty much the Mouth of Sauron when it comes to crossover content; the undisputed Queen of Crossovers, above the likes of KOS-MOS and Morrigan Aensland.

Last edited:

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Yo, Jonny Atma AKA GaMetal has made a brand new Touhou cover! Check it out, it's great!

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Yo, Jonny Atma AKA GaMetal has made a brand new Touhou cover! Check it out, it's great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7mjP-7gbNI
If I may recommend for future reference, the ellipsis above your comment box (next to the emoji icon) has a drop-down menu. Under it is the "Media" tab, which is the crux of all shared link previews. When you copy youtube links and twitter posts, run it through that window and it will code the preview for your comment, allowing these links to show up in your comments without having to open up a new tab or redirect to the source pages.

EDIT: Keep the music coming! This one is another banger.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
If I may recommend for future reference, the ellipsis above your comment box (next to the emoji icon) has a drop-down menu. Under it is the "Media" tab, which is the crux of all shared link previews. When you copy youtube links and twitter posts, run it through that window and it will code the preview for your comment, allowing these links to show up in your comments without having to open up a new tab or redirect to the source pages.

EDIT: Keep the music coming! This one is another banger.
Oh, thanks for telling me! I was wondering how that works, I'll edit my post immediately

Thatchner

Smash Cadet
How would you guys feel if we ended up getting a Reimu Mii outfit instead? Not sure if the outfit would be for Gunner, Brawler or Swordfighter, but I think I'd still end up buying it if only to show support.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
How would you guys feel if we ended up getting a Reimu Mii outfit instead? Not sure if the outfit would be for Gunner, Brawler or Swordfighter, but I think I'd still end up buying it if only to show support.
I'd be fine with it if it would come with some banger music

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Of course I'd prefer if we got a fighter instead of a mii costume. But it's not like I'm gonna say no any Touhou content in Smash.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, between how largely fake the .json leak turned out to be so far and Milk-Bosatsu's claim that he doesn't think the leaked female character is Reimu (if that wasn't a joke), it doesn't look like she's in the pass, unfortunately. She may be a white whale depending on how long this DLC cycle keeps up.

I'd be fine with it. Like with the Goemon outfit, it would increase exposure.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I will say, between how largely fake the .json leak turned out to be so far and Milk-Bosatsu's claim that he doesn't think the leaked female character is Reimu (if that wasn't a joke), it doesn't look like she's in the pass, unfortunately. She may be a white whale depending on how long this DLC cycle keeps up.

I'd be fine with it. Like with the Goemon outfit, it would increase exposure.
I don't think that Milk guy knows anything tbh. Regardless of the leak I don't think that Reimu would be the last FP character anyway. They're probably gonna end this with a bang, a character like Sora or Dante, someone that people all over the world would get excited about.
It's not like the fighter pass matters that much anymore honestly. The reason I became so positive about Reimu is because more DLC is in development outside of the pass. Never expected to say this but I think her chances of getting in are more than decent right now.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't think that Milk guy knows anything tbh. Regardless of the leak I don't think that Reimu would be the last FP character anyway. They're probably gonna end this with a bang, a character like Sora or Dante, someone that people all over the world would get excited about.
It's not like the fighter pass matters that much anymore honestly. The reason I became so positive about Reimu is because more DLC is in development outside of the pass. Never expected to say this but I think her chances of getting in are more than decent right now.
Smash 4 DLC ended with Corrin and Bayonetta. That's honestly not a guarantee.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I agree that Corrin was pretty lame but Bayo? According to Nintendo she was the single most wanted character in Europe and #6 in the US I believe. Even if it wouldn't have been for the ballot at least the general audience would have known her name. Can't say the same about Reimu sadly.

Thatchner

Smash Cadet
I agree that Corrin was pretty lame but Bayo? According to Nintendo she was the single most wanted character in Europe and #6 in the US I believe. Even if it wouldn't have been for the ballot at least the general audience would have known her name. Can't say the same about Reimu sadly.
I'd have to agree. Not to mention, Corrin and Bayo were released at the same time, but they specifically chose Bayo to be the one to close out DLC. I'd like to think that it at least suggests they might like to end the Ultimate fighter pass (or even the last DLC character) with a bang.

I'm not sure if Reimu would be that last one in either case, but her chances are still better than they have ever been. I could see her being one of the characters that kicks off the non-fighter pass DLC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah.

For the umpteenth time, the focus on """hype""" picks is only towards those who have to be sold on getting the base game/DLC, while the end of the roster focuses a lot more on characters with experimental movesets that may or may not be an Easter egg for earlier gaming history. Out of every single Smash pattern that's been shattered, it's the one that's actually been kept consistent to this day. Yet fans continue to insist that things must end with a bang, that's not how it works. I mean, we just went through this with the base roster, the FP's fifth character could even be Bubbles from Clu Clu Land, for all we know.

At least the outcome's better than Capcom's embarrassing failures for some of their DLC.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Yeah.

For the umpteenth time, the focus on """hype""" picks is only towards those who have to be sold on getting the base game/DLC, while the end of the roster focuses a lot more on characters with experimental movesets that may or may not be an Easter egg for earlier gaming history. Out of every single Smash pattern that's been shattered, it's the one that's actually been kept consistent to this day. Yet fans continue to insist that things must end with a bang, that's not how it works. I mean, we just went through this with the base roster, the FP's fifth character could even be Bubbles from Clu Clu Land, for all we know.

At least the outcome's better than Capcom's embarrassing failures for some of their DLC.
Yeah, we have to assume the last character is a "Literal Who" to a large amount of the playerbase. Terry was pretty close though. I'd argue that him being Fighter #4 put him in Corrin's spot as far as controversial picks go (but for different reasons of course). It wouldn't be completely out-of-the-blue to assume someone like Dante or Phoenix Wright have a shot. They're very popular, but also potentially upsetting for fandoms who want an RE rep, a non-gimmicky fighter, or just a non-swordfighter in general. Either way, the last character will be a Base Breaker at worst.

Last edited:

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722

You definitely make a solid point, but I disagree with the idea of her representing Doujinshi and Japanese PC gaming more than Indies. Touhou itself inspired many other indie developers to concoct their stories with ZUN's characters, which is why we have a string of Touhou games on the Switch.

Not to mention how Undertale was heavily inspired by it. The actual games have a massive impact on the BH genre as a whole, and are also the reason the main the Doujinshi have gained so much popularity.
Reimu's presence as a character is fairly more recognizable than the Indie's mentioned as well, There is a lot dedicated to her in Japan, and even a flower named after her in China. She has a solid chance more than we may think.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Honestly i would be disappointed if Reimu got a costume rep instead. It would be great for Touhou to get some sort of recognition but the series has more things in their favor for a playable spot than a costume. Either way the music is still worth looking forward too.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
As stated, Milk-Bosatsu is probably fake. The story straight up doesn't add up. His source saw this character Last November/December in a way that they couldn't tell who it was. At the very least, that suggests a textureless model. Back then, Sakurai only stated that Characters 1, 2 and 3 were being developed. So the only way Milk's claim makes any sense is if the supposed character is Kasumi from Persona 5 and She was indeed planned as an alt for Joker before it ultimately got scrapped.

Smash has never ended on a Bang and even then, Reimu wouldn't be the end of DLC, so the need for the bang is completely unnecessary. I've also said it before in this thread, the announcement of more DLC before the Pass has been fully revealed is weird to me on almost every level. To me, it suggests a divisive character is coming, moreso than Terry was. That way said character isn't viewed as taking up the last slot before announcing more DLC like a more traditional fighting game would handle "season pass" announcements.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As stated, Milk-Bosatsu is probably fake. The story straight up doesn't add up. His source saw this character Last November/December in a way that they couldn't tell who it was. At the very least, that suggests a textureless model. Back then, Sakurai only stated that Characters 1, 2 and 3 were being developed. So the only way Milk's claim makes any sense is if the supposed character is Kasumi from Persona 5 and She was indeed planned as an alt for Joker before it ultimately got scrapped.

Smash has never ended on a Bang and even then, Reimu wouldn't be the end of DLC, so the need for the bang is completely unnecessary. I've also said it before in this thread, the announcement of more DLC before the Pass has been fully revealed is weird to me on almost every level. To me, it suggests a divisive character is coming, moreso than Terry was. That way said character isn't viewed as taking up the last slot before announcing more DLC like a more traditional fighting game would handle "season pass" announcements.
That seems smart. So far, every pattern for this game has had a "but wait, there's more!" announcement. It happened after :ultpiranha:, who's seen as the most baffling inclusion so far, so it makes one wonder how much they'll keep up this pattern and move the goalpost. Meanwhile, compared to this Capcom have a poorer time handling DLC gaps (one SFV season didn't have any older fan-favorites, just a bunch of newcomers including a Final Fight character no one asked for, while it took ages for season 4 to be announced after Kage came standalone).

In regards to Kasumi, I have a hard time convincing her supporters that she was only briefly considered and then scrapped, yet being included as an Echo or something is somehow still seen as likely to promote P5R.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Ahaha... So remember that stage I posted last week/page? Well, I realized too late that all of my custom stages were booted off the server, so I had to reupload them. I can imagine there was...confusion for some who looked for the stage and never got results for it. Well fret no more! The stage is back up with a new ID! I also have other stages if you look up KarMythos btw. Just sayin' [nudge-nudge, wink-wink]
Scarlet_Devil_Mansion_(Touhou_Project).jpg

Scarlet_Devil_Mansion_(Touhou_Project)_View.jpg

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
While it's not quite Smash, Rivals of Aether recently announced that players can create custom fighters and upload them onto the Steam Workshop, and amongst the myriad of custom fighters that have already been made (Which include two seperate variants of Goku, Mario, Sonic, Jigglypuff [but with Fox Lasers] and so on), there's actually a Touhou character there, that being One ms. Sakuya "ZA WARUDO" Izayoi.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1869125757

The person who made her is also working on creating Reimu in RoA, as well.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Yep! I don't know if this is the same person who made Sakuya but here is a little Reimu preview!
Even if Reimu doesn't happen to be one of the lucky DLC fighters at least we could potentially live in a world where the entire Hisoutensoku roster is playable in a platform fighter.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
With Undertale having gotten a nod, I'm beginning to feel like Reimu has an actual shot if we get another 10+ DLC characters, which is pretty wild. It's still an outside chance, to be sure, but she really ticks all of the boxes: relevance, popularity, long history, moveset potential, cool stage/music potential. She actually could make it.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Only just found this bad apple remix, and its great. I just cant even image how good touhou music in smash would be. I mean look how good the banjo remixes and and jusy imagine what they do with touhou ones.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Only just found this bad apple remix, and its great. I just cant even image how good touhou music in smash would be. I mean look how good the banjo remixes and and jusy imagine what they do with touhou ones.

fcking hell this is AMAZING

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous! Ambrosia for the ears... It honestly makes one wonder how far they'll go with the music if Reimu does make it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

I found this a few months ago and I absolutely loved it.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
For the people who like to imagine the Reimu reveal being Bad Apple themed, Le_ftright made a neat animation based on that.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
For the people who like to imagine the Reimu reveal being Bad Apple themed, Le_ftright made a neat animation based on that.
I would absolutely love it if it were based on Bad Apple, only issue I have is that it could drag on a bit. The Twitter post is neat, but I feel it's a bit boring. But it is a good take on it.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I think it would largely improve if it started off with the Smash characters first with their own unique transitions, like in the original video, then have Reimu come in at the end for the surprise.

It seems redundant considering the song and where it's leading up to, but consider the reactions behind Terry's trailer and people going, "Who the hell are these characters???"

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Yep! I don't know if this is the same person who made Sakuya but here is a little Reimu preview!
Even if Reimu doesn't happen to be one of the lucky DLC fighters at least we could potentially live in a world where the entire Hisoutensoku roster is playable in a platform fighter.
That isn't the same person as the one who made Sakuya, but they finished it just yesterday! Here's the release trailer.

What I'm most excited about is the fact that the creator of Reimu also declared their next project at the end there. Namely, the best Touhou protagonist.

Marisa>Reimu, fite me

Last edited:
Top Bottom