• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm not a huge Touhou fan, but I kinda like the series.
I don't have much experience and knownledge of it, but I would like some representation in Smash.

Anyway, I'm a "fan" of Marisa more than Reimu... Reimu is the main character and all, but I was introduced in the series with Marisa Stole the Precious Thing and all its meme variations as well (I see that I'm not the only one lol), and I played the fangames Super Marisa World/Land/New, so she's the first character that comes to mind when I think of Touhou.
Also, I think that a witch character in Smash would be cool and it would add some variety. No, Bayonetta doesn't count XD

If Reimu in Smash means that one day they may add Marisa as well, then I support.

zferolie

Smash Hero
There's also space for 3 more series in the Music screen.
Yeah made a post about that a few days ago on the forums https://smashboards.com/threads/the...e-confused-with-the-music-blog-theory.458802/

I don't have much experience and knownledge of it, but I would like some representation in Smash.

Anyway, I'm a "fan" of Marisa more than Reimu... Reimu is the main character and all, but I was introduced in the series with Marisa Stole the Precious Thing and all its meme variations as well (I see that I'm not the only one lol), and I played the fangames Super Marisa World/Land/New, so she's the first character that comes to mind when I think of Touhou.
Also, I think that a witch character in Smash would be cool and it would add some variety. No, Bayonetta doesn't count XD

If Reimu in Smash means that one day they may add Marisa as well, then I support.
Marisa as an AT doing the Master Spark? Maybe Yukari opening Gaps randomly around the stage?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
You mean the music menu shown in the direct?

(Holy crap, how is more evidence piling up the deeper I dig? This is unprecedented!)
Yeah. This rumor has some evidence for it. The leaker got Simon, Richter, K. Rool, and Chrom right, as well as Dracula being a boss and the existence of the Stage Morph feature. This rumor also supports the heavily plausible blog theory, as well as the music icon theory.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Oh man. Despite the crowd generally accepting that the LaPailleDor leak is fake, I REALLY want to believe it. It lines up with so many things.

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
I'd go as far as to say that this could potentially be the next Ninka/Vaanrose leak, and Vergeben is the next Gematsu. You know what they say, "history repeats itself."

Heck, what if we see another ESRB-style leak and Skull Kid, Isaac, Reimu, etc are in it?

By the way, I found another piece of evidence towards 80 characters. If you go to the Smash Bros. character page on the site, there are two blank spaces. Two characters added plus another 6 creates a perfect square with two more rows, with no blank spaces.

https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter/index.html

Last edited:

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
What if just for the memes, Cirno was the assist trophy? Or even better, what if we had another Castlevania situation where the Touhou stage has multiple characters appear as hazards?

zferolie

Smash Hero
What if just for the memes, Cirno was the assist trophy? Or even better, what if we had another Castlevania situation where the Touhou stage has multiple characters appear as hazards?
AT Cirno would be hilarious. And yeah if touhou had a stage(Hakurei shrine for sure) i can see many of Gensokyos residents popping in for some action in the fight. We know how much some of those characters like to enjoy themselves in dannaku fights. I would think they would enjoy jumping in for some smash action.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman

I love Marisa as well! Problem is, she's too different from Reimu to be an echo, and it'll be hard to justify 2 Touhou reps. Regardless, I can see her having similar gameplay as Reimu, but faster and more rushdown oriented. And like Reimu, she has a unique and iconic design. If Reimu gets in (and I'm not saying she will), I'm definitely jumping on the Marisa train.

Cirno would be great as an AT with icicle danmaku, but she has to have a blatant blind spot right on front of her for the memes.

Last edited:

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
There are a lot of really good Assist Trophy options when it comes to Touhou. My first thought would be Marisa appearing to perform Master Spark, but Yukari, Cirno, Sakuya or Youmu, or basically anybody else, would make for a really neat AT.

Also, I'd definitely support a potential Sanae Echo Fighter if Reimu got in. They both have somewhat similar amulet attacks, and have similar proportions and weapons. She could essentially have the same moveset, but with different attributes on many attacks, such as shorter range and no homing in exchange for more power, or something like that.

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Touhou is getting an echo fighter. I mean, it'd be interesting, but adding just Reimu would be pushing the boundries as is. It'd be too much for Touhou to get 2 reps right out of the game, when franchises like Sonic and Mega Man don't have a second rep yet.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I don't Touhou is getting an echo fighter. I mean, it'd be interesting, but adding just Reimu would be pushing the boundries as is. It'd be too much for Touhou to get 2 reps right out of the game, when franchises like Sonic and Mega Man don't have a second rep yet.
Boundries, HA

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Has anybody considered what music tracks we'd likely be getting from Touhou in the event that Reimu made it in? It'd probably be a similar case as Castlevania where the music team really likes the soundtrack and makes an incredibly large selection of remixes. So, narrowing it down to one song per game, my prediction would probably be something like this:

HRtP: Eternal Shrine Maiden
SoEW: Complete Darkness (inb4 Mima gets a trophy, which is more than ZUN's given her in years)
PoDD: Mystic Oriental Love Consultation
LLS: Bad Apple!! (though I'd personally want Alice Maestra)
MS: The Grimoire of Alice
EoSD: U.N. Owen Was Her (though I'd personally want Septette for the Dead Princess)
PCB: Necrofantasia
IaMP: Onigashima in the Fairyland ~ Missing Power
IN: Maiden's Cappricio ~ Dream Battle (kinda hard to have Reimu without her most famous theme. It'd likely be Lunatic Princess otherwise)
PoFV: Touhou Judgement in the Sixtieth Year ~ Fate of Sixty Years
StB: Tengu is Watching ~ Black Eyes (alternatively, it could be Wind God Girl, despite that originating in PoFV)
MoF: The Gensokyo the Gods Loved (really tough choice, since MoF is full of great songs, but this song consistently scores top ten in popularity polls, likely garnering a lot of attention. Personally, I'd want The Primal Scene of Japan the Girl Watched)
SWR: Catastrophe in Bhava-Agra ~ Wonderful Heaven (also, like the street fighter stage, it'd be really cool if it changed to Bhava-Agra as Seen Through a Child's Mind when on the last stock)
SA: Last Remote (another really tough choice like with MoF, and I'd have personally picked Nuclear Fusion if it were up to me. But it's all cool, since Last Remote is still a good song. Then again, it's possible that they could choose Hartmann's Youkai Girl, due to Koishi literally being the most popular character in the series after Reimu and Marisa)
UFO: Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind (probably the easiest choice on this list so far, despite UFO having a really good soundtrack overall. Odd)
Soku: Unknown X ~ Unfound Adventure (come on, what else could it be?)
DS: Bell of Avici ~ Infinite Nightmare (like with StB, you could also probably substitute The Youkai Mountain ~ Mysterious Mountain)
GFW: Magus Night (nah, forget UFO. This was the true easiest choice. And this is coming from someone who likes ALL the songs from GFW)
TD: Shoutoku Legend ~ True Administrator (strangely, I think that they'd go with this one instead of the more popular Desire Drive, though I'd personally prefer Old Yuanxian over both of them. kek)
HM: The Lost Emotion (no contest whatsoever)
DDC: Kobito of the Shining Needle ~ Little Princess (man, ZUN really knows how to make a good Final Boss track. Every single one of them is good. However, this one probably takes the cake for being the best of the best)
ISC: Cheat Against the Impossible Danmaku (though, like with StB and DS, you could probably make an argument for Reverse Ideology)
ULiL: Last Occultism ~ Esotericist of the Present World
LoLK: Pure Furies ~ Whereabouts of the Heart
AoCF: Tonight Stars an Easygoing Egoist (Live ver.) ~ Egoistic Flowers
HSiFS: The Concealed Four Seasons
VD: Lunatic Dreamer (I do think Nightmare Dairy is a better song, but Nightmare week was just... yeah. Meanwhile, Wrong week was a straight punch in the guts, making you think "WTF is happening?", so Lunatic Dreamer was a little more memorable IMO)

Bonus Track: Theme of Eastern Story (sorry, but it ain't Touhou without this song)

Last edited:

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
The only Touhou games I've managed to beat are 4, 7, 8, 11, most of 15. I've also played 6, 9, 10 and some of 12. (Though I've never made it to a secret boss in any game besides Lotus Land Story)

Here's the music list from that moveset idea document I typed back up in May.

Touhou Medley (Medley of the PC98 games?)
Bad Apple
Beloved Tomboyish Daughter
Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea
U.N. Owen was Her
Doll Judgement ~ The Girl Who Played With People's Shapes
Border of Life
Necrofantasia
Love-Colored Master Spark
Cinderella Cage ~ Kagome-Kagome
Lunatic Eyes ~ Invisible Full Moon
Gensokyo Millennium ~ History of the Moon
Flowering Night
Nuclear Fusion

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
No love for History of the Moon?!? For shame!!!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Got there are way too many Touhou tracks I want, but here are 2 of my favs.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
First Touhou games I actually played were PC-98 1 and 2, then TH7. This lovely shrine maiden is honestly my next indie hope if Shantae gets disconfirmed. Count me in!

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
PC98 Alternative Palette is a must. I'm happy for every single big of PC98 representation. Nice to see that being brought up here.

Narrowing down the vast amount of Touhou tracks (like Lasatar did with 1 per game) sure isnt easy.
They'll most likely have to leave out a lot of the good ones, which is a shame, but... one cant please everyone, sadly.
Just... just dont stick with only EoSD. Thats all I am asking for.

I'd love to have music straight from ZUN himself but I can imagine Tasofro doing arrangements, or even having the soundtrack be based on fanmade arrangements.
... though it would be pretty fun to imagine official Touhou arrangements being made from the people who make all the other arrangements for Smash Bros.

Last edited:

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
Name a more iconic duo. I'll wait

ico_reimu.png
ico_marisa.png

ico_reimu98.png
ico_marisa98.png

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of stock icons, I stumbled across this a few weeks back:
Reimu Stock Icon.png
No idea who made it or where it came from, but it's really good quality all the same.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Hang on what was the credible leaker? only one I saw was a 4chan one and I rarely trust those
Well, the leaker first claimed a number of things, including that Simon, Richter, King K. Rool, Chrom, Isaac, Black Shadow, and Ken would be playable, that Dracula and Gigyas would be bosses, that there was a feature that allowed players to play on multiple stages (aka Stage Morph), and event matches would be returning. He got Simon, Richter, K. Rool, and Chrom right, as well as Dracula being a boss and the existence of Stage Morph. He recently came back and claimed that Reimu, Ayumi Tachibana, Skull Kid, Medusa, and Ninten would be playable, as well as Zero-Two and Kyurem being bosses and the ability to switch between each game's Battlefield and Final Destination variant. This rumor supports two popular fan theories: the blog theory and the music icon theory.

Blog Theory: Someone managed to do the calculations involving the Smash Blog posts and found out the amount of characters they would still need to cover assuming that the blog's last post is on December 7th and that every fighter currently confirmed has been covered. The answer is 8. This rumor claims that we are getting 8 more playable characters (Isaac, Black Shadow, Ken, Reimu, Ayumi, Skull Kid, Medusa, and Ninten).

Music Icon Theory: Someone discovered that on the page for the music select screen (that was shown in the August 8th direct) there was space for 3 more new franchises. This is weird because you could do a perfect square with all the music icons currently in the game. This most likely means that we are getting 3 more new franchises, and they were hidden to avoid spoiling that they will be getting characters. This rumor does claim that three more new franchises are getting in (Touhou, Famicom Detective Club, and Golden Sun).

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, the leaker first claimed a number of things, including that Simon, Richter, King K. Rool, Chrom, Isaac, Black Shadow, and Ken would be playable, that Dracula and Gigyas would be bosses, that there was a feature that allowed players to play on multiple stages (aka Stage Morph), and event matches would be returning. He got Simon, Richter, K. Rool, and Chrom right, as well as Dracula being a boss and the existence of Stage Morph. He recently came back and claimed that Reimu, Ayumi Tachibana, Skull Kid, Medusa, and Ninten would be playable, as well as Zero-Two and Kyurem being bosses and the ability to switch between each game's Battlefield and Final Destination variant. This rumor supports two popular fan theories: the blog theory and the music icon theory.

Blog Theory: Someone managed to do the calculations involving the Smash Blog posts and found out the amount of characters they would still need to cover assuming that the blog's last post is on December 7th and that every fighter currently confirmed has been covered. The answer is 8. This rumor claims that we are getting 8 more playable characters (Isaac, Black Shadow, Ken, Reimu, Ayumi, Skull Kid, Medusa, and Ninten).

Music Icon Theory: Someone discovered that on the page for the music select screen (that was shown in the August 8th direct) there was space for 3 more new franchises. This is weird because you could do a perfect square with all the music icons currently in the game. This most likely means that we are getting 3 more new franchises, and they were hidden to avoid spoiling that they will be getting characters. This rumor does claim that three more new franchises are getting in (Touhou, Famicom Detective Club, and Golden Sun).
I think I remember that one, but I beleive I heard from the Medusa forum that the guy posting that from the french site was a fake, and they know who it was as only 1 guy on that french board pushed both Medusa and Reimu. I frequent there and I remember someone on that medusa thread mentioning this.

I was the someone that Made the music Icon theory :) Glade to see more people using it, But yeah, this leak would fit into the Music Icon theory, though would there be enough music tracks for an Ayumi icon? I like her as a character but not sure how much music there is. Still, a Minecraft stage with its own music icon could fit over that as well.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think I remember that one, but I beleive I heard from the Medusa forum that the guy posting that from the french site was a fake, and they know who it was as only 1 guy on that french board pushed both Medusa and Reimu. I frequent there and I remember someone on that medusa thread mentioning this.

I was the someone that Made the music Icon theory :) Glade to see more people using it, But yeah, this leak would fit into the Music Icon theory, though would there be enough music tracks for an Ayumi icon? I like her as a character but not sure how much music there is. Still, a Minecraft stage with its own music icon could fit over that as well.
Famicom Detective Club has several games. It's large enough to not get kicked into the misc. section.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Famicom Detective Club has several games. It's large enough to not get kicked into the misc. section.
Thats true. Its funny, I support Ayumi but blanking out on some of the music from the series haha

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
My only problem with the Jeuxvideo leak is no Geno..... I really think with 100% certainty that we are getting Geno. And unless Geno get's added on; I'm not really inclined to believe it? I mean it's not a bad roster; would definitely like to see Touhou bring the Indie Representation but yeah. That's my stance on the leak I guess.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
My only problem with the Jeuxvideo leak is no Geno..... I really think with 100% certainty that we are getting Geno. And unless Geno get's added on; I'm not really inclined to believe it? I mean it's not a bad roster; would definitely like to see Touhou bring the Indie Representation but yeah. That's my stance on the leak I guess.
Geno could still easily get in as DLC.

I'm convinced Geno will make it in too, base or otherwise.
I don't think you should completely disregard it, it's a really good roster, aside from the absence of Geno.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Geno could still easily get in as DLC.

I'm convinced Geno will make it in too, base or otherwise.
I don't think you should completely disregard it, it's a really good roster, aside from the absence of Geno.
It's not COMPLETELY disregarded... but I mean Geno is the only character atm with Sakurai backing so I'd be shocked if he didn't make base XD. I can see Banjo maybe making DLC, but Geno seems a lock to me.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
It's not COMPLETELY disregarded... but I mean Geno is the only character atm with Sakurai backing so I'd be shocked if he didn't make base XD. I can see Banjo maybe making DLC, but Geno seems a lock to me.
Yes that's very true. I can only hope that you're correct! :D

But, eh, I'd still rather all of the characters in the jeuxvideo leak, over just Geno.

zferolie

Smash Hero
For me the issue is Skull Kid. I am pretty certain he'll just be a boss(it can work, with him using magic, transformations, and then morphing part way through to Majora's wrath and stuff.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
For me the issue is Skull Kid. I am pretty certain he'll just be a boss(it can work, with him using magic, transformations, and then morphing part way through to Majora's wrath and stuff.
I'm still think he has a chance of being playable, it's not impossible or anything.

Though I admit, if it was fake (which would be very unfortunate :(), Skull Kid could have just been tacked on there so the leaker could have made it seem a bit more real, adding a character a lot of people expected anyway.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Honestly, the reason I liked that leak so much was because it was an actually interesting and surprising lot of newcomers. It wasn't just "Skull Kid, Geno, Dixie as an echo" repeated ad nauseum. I mean I'm biased because it had Ayumi on it who is one of my most-wanted but it was just a fun list. It made me consider Medusa in the game and now I'd be happy if she was in.

Plus the Reimu part was super funny to me at first because it was out of nowhere and then I got to thinking of all the benefits and fun and music she'd bring to the table and now I low-key-high-key want her in.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm still think he has a chance of being playable, it's not impossible or anything.

Though I admit, if it was fake (which would be very unfortunate :(), Skull Kid could have just been tacked on there so the leaker could have made it seem a bit more real, adding a character a lot of people expected anyway.
I mean I wouldn't mind skull kid as playable(unlike Steve), its just a gut feeling I have. I feel like he'll be the Ridley of this game, compaired to smash 4. People want him as playable but Sakurai feels he is only boss worth and boss would best represent him.

Honestly, the reason I liked that leak so much was because it was an actually interesting and surprising lot of newcomers. It wasn't just "Skull Kid, Geno, Dixie as an echo" repeated ad nauseum. I mean I'm biased because it had Ayumi on it who is one of my most-wanted but it was just a fun list. It made me consider Medusa in the game and now I'd be happy if she was in.

Plus the Reimu part was super funny to me at first because it was out of nowhere and then I got to thinking of all the benefits and fun and music she'd bring to the table and now I low-key-high-key want her in.
Yeah my wants mostly ignore the super hype ones(except ken as that sadly seems too real now. Wanted Akuma as an echo myself.) All my other picks have just been for characters I like. Reimu has always been a "I doubt she'll make it in but man it would be amazing" pick Mostly wanted a Touhou smash since this failed kickstarter

Top Bottom