• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Honestly Skull Kid is too small to be a Boss.
I do kinda hate that counter argument. There is no rule for the size of a boss. I mean, if Eggman is a boss he himself will be the right size, but he would keep changing Mechs. Whats to say that Skullkid may start the fight small, but has a lot more manuverbility then normal fighters. Like constantly flying around. His magic would make him boss level, and he could then lose the mask at a point and then you fight the mask itself, which would grow and be larger

guitargamer57

Smash Cadet
It really makes me hyped to see other people excited for Reimu in Smash, and it's even better to know that there's a little more possibility due to that leak.

The characters, the lore, the stages, the music... The music! There's a lot Smash could gain just from having Reimu in it. She may not be as popular here in the west, but hopely Sakurai knows just enough about Touhou.

Another aspect I'm excited about is her possible moveset being about the spell cards. There's a good post in Reddit that analysies deeply about this, one which could be resumed in these GIFs: Normal attacks, Spell Cards.

zferolie

Smash Hero
It really makes me hyped to see other people excited for Reimu in Smash, and it's even better to know that there's a little more possibility due to that leak.

The characters, the lore, the stages, the music... The music! There's a lot Smash could gain just from having Reimu in it. She may not be as popular here in the west, but hopely Sakurai knows just enough about Touhou.

Another aspect I'm excited about is her possible moveset being about the spell cards. There's a good post in Reddit that analysies deeply about this, one which could be resumed in these GIFs: Normal attacks, Spell Cards.

Wow thats is am amazing gif there. really gives a good idea on one possibility she has for movesets

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman

It's great seeing new users showing support! While I'm not going to believe the leak for a second, I do appreciate the exposure it gave to Reimu, and how she can be a legitimate consideration for Smash. As for the moveset, a spell card system powered by grazing would be really cool. Just as long as it's a system that rewards risky play, while also preventing players from abusing it for stalling purposes. I would hate for Reimu to be the next Bayo xD.

guitargamer57

Smash Cadet
It's great seeing new users showing support! While I'm not going to believe the leak for a second, I do appreciate the exposure it gave to Reimu, and how she can be a legitimate consideration for Smash. As for the moveset, a spell card system powered by grazing would be really cool. Just as long as it's a system that rewards risky play, while also preventing players from abusing it for stalling purposes. I would hate for Reimu to be the next Bayo xD.
It would be like Cloud, where some players tend to wait until they get the Limit, something that would annoy some players (especially if the Spell Card attacks are powerful).
Whether she is top tier or not, it'd be like a dream come true.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
The main thing about the LaPailleDor Leak that we need to watch out for is whether or not it actually happened in the first place. According to the guy himself, a mod blocked the original thread, so there's no way of checking whether or not the thread actually happened. Additionally, a guy CLAIMING to be a mod of the site said that the thread never existed. So it certainly is possible for that post to have been photoshopped with a different date. However, we really don't have any decisive proof one way or the other.

If it wasn't faked, then it's 100% real. If it was faked, it's 100% fake. There's no middle ground, unfortunately.

Last edited:

guitargamer57

Smash Cadet
The main thing about the LaPailleDor Leak that we need to watch out for is whether or not it actually happened in the first place. According to the guy himself, a mod blocked the original thread, so there's no way of checking whether or not the thread actually happened. Additionally, a guy CLAIMING to be a mod of the site said that the thread never existed. So it certainly is possible for that post to have been photoshopped with a different date. However, we really don't have any decisive proof one way or the other.

If it wasn't faked, then it's 100% real. If it was faked, it's 100% fake. There's no middle ground, unfortunately.
It's almost as we didn't have anything to start with. Like any other leak, there's nothing one can do more than wait and be sceptical. Though I want to stick saying that Touhou deserves a representation in Smash, not only as an indie rep, but as the expression of bullet hell games.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I mean I wouldn't mind skull kid as playable(unlike Steve), its just a gut feeling I have. I feel like he'll be the Ridley of this game, compaired to smash 4. People want him as playable but Sakurai feels he is only boss worth and boss would best represent him.

Yeah my wants mostly ignore the super hype ones(except ken as that sadly seems too real now. Wanted Akuma as an echo myself.) All my other picks have just been for characters I like. Reimu has always been a "I doubt she'll make it in but man it would be amazing" pick Mostly wanted a Touhou smash since this failed kickstarter

Okay I'm going to be honest. At first I had no idea who Reimu was so I kind of wrote her off but after seeing that video, man the moveset potential looks through the roof. I now see how awesome a bullet hell style character will be and I'd love for her to get in. You guys have my support =)

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
Okay I'm going to be honest. At first I had no idea who Reimu was so I kind of wrote her off but after seeing that video, man the moveset potential looks through the roof. I now see how awesome a bullet hell style character will be and I'd love for her to get in. You guys have my support =)
Here's a video of how the official fighting games have portrayed Reimu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsKDEFEAkF4
Honestly, there are many directions you can go with the character, outside how she plays in the traditional fighters. A moveset I posted early on in this thread centered around setting up layers of projectiles and barriers to reference the bullet hell aspect of her games. Another moveset in this thread had a spell card mechanic where her specials could be powered up from grazing projectiles, which references the grazing mechanic in the original games.

The best part about these mechanics are that they are incredibly faithful to her original games, and they each bring something unique to Smash gameplay-wise. I honestly don't think there is another character that has better moveset potential than Reimu.

Last edited:

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
I just want you all to do me one favor. Don't spread the LaPallieDor leak areound in the event that it comes true. I want to see how crazy the Smash community would go if Reimu came in out of nowhere. Especially since 90% of the speculation community is riding the Vergeben train right now.

I also really like the gifset of Reimu's moves. I do still stand by my idea of her having a smaller hitbox and focus mode, though.

Last edited:

guitargamer57

Smash Cadet
I just want you all to do me one favor. Don't spread the LaPallieDor leak areound in the event that it comes true. I want to see how crazy the Smash community would go if Reimu came in out of nowhere. Especially since 90% of the speculation community is riding the Vergeben train right now.

I also really like the gifset of Reimu's moves. I do still stand by my idea of her having a smaller hitbox and focus mode, though.
It could be as chaotic as Isabelle's presentantion: everyone is going to think that no one asked for her. And maybe we could end up with a new part of the community excited just because of how unique she is.

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
I'd be going nuts. Keep in mind that I predicted Reimu all the way back in January. Two months before the March direct.

bandicam 2018-09-29 00-19-48-135.png

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You can add me to supporters if there's a list.

While I dont think there's much of a chance, I like touhou and reimu would be cool :)

Yangfly Leone

Smash Cadet
add me to the supporting list!
I would love to see reimu in an official smash game, and I think she would be the perfect "mehh, no one asked for this character" that would make the entire internet get either happy or angry also just imagine how cute it would be kirby after absorbing reimu, imagine a kirby with that cute ribbon, absolutely cute.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So, Reimu has been growing and growing in my head the last few days. I just need to make a large post about her now to get it all out there.

Moveset wise I think everything has been pretty set and said already. I do think as a fighter she should have 2 unique things about her:

Grazing: If she dashes on the ground or in the air(she would have a unique air dash mechanic as well), she can phase through projectile attacks. If that charges up some other part of her or thats it, doesn't matter. She needs to keep the grazing.

Great Air game: Reimu needs to either have multiple jumps, and/or a slow fall mechanic to represent her flying in the series. Maybe she's like Yoshi or Jigglypuff were their up B doesn't really give them more recovery, but they have insane normal jumping to make up for it, plus having the unique air dash mechanic will help with the lack of a normal Up B recovery. COuld also be an 8 way air dash mechanic(double tap on the control stil the direction you go.)

Those 2 mechanics should be a part or Reimus Moveset.

Now, for AT, I think I have the best choice.

Marisa.jpg marisaexstand.gif
Marisa would make a very fun AT. I doubt we would get more then 1 touhou, even with DLC, so having her as an Assist Trophy is her best chance. As an AT I thought of some fun things She could float around the stage on her broom, attacking people and stealing any items they are holding. She'll also grab any item on the stage as well. She'll fire some danmaku a few times as well. Once she steals enough, or after a set time, she'll fire a Master spark and foes, doing lots of damage. This seems quite fitting for her.

Now as for the stage. It has to be Hakurei Shrine for sure.

Hakurei Shrine.png

I think though we wouldn't be fighting on the ground, but above it, on a very large Keystone Tenshi created, with some floating around as well as other platforms.

I feel that other members of Gensokyo would be watching, either in the background or flying around on the stage itself as hazards. Gensokjyo residents love to watch and partake in Danmaku fights, so they would have a ball watching this. Some would probably jump in on the action as well. Like Cirno may fly in and start shooting iceicles around that are super easy to dodge, Ibuki may grow large and stomp onto the stage, Tenshi herself may break a keystone to mess with people, if Remilia is walking or floating across the stage and gets attacked, before she gets hit Sakuya appears and time freezese the person, then knifes them, ect. Some characters would only watch though, like The Eintei residence will be sitting having a little Mochi picnic, and Yukari watching above it all with a smile as Chen and Ran sit by her.

Speaking of Yukari...

Yukari.gif

I think she would be a boss in the story mode. She is the most fitting of a boss for Touhou honestly. It would fight with spell cards and Danmaku of course, and learning the patterns to dodge the attacks would be needed to fight her. She would also use her gaps to summon not just trains, but other objects from all the games represented in smash. So for example, she may open a Gap up and thowmps come crashing down, or she calls in an Ultra Beast from pokemon, or summons Ink bomb from the sky. She will also have Ran and Chen helping her out. As for why Yukari would join the bad guys? She found it fun. She also could be a key to the villains plan due to her Gaps allowing herself and the other villains free travel anywhere.

Now music.... Man there are so many. I feel like they could easily top Castlevania in terms of amount. In the spoiler below I'll list a bunch I feel must be in, either like that or new remixes... man, hearing some of these songs done in a full orchestra or remade by famous composers has me excited.

And much more then that could be added as well.

And well, thats what I really had to see for Reimu. :)

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well, the Smash playlist updated and the "new" tag on the fighters section of the website has been removed. This is a sign that a new character will be revealed soon.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well, the Smash playlist updated and the "new" tag on the fighters section of the website has been removed. This is a sign that a new character will be revealed soon.
Yeah. COuld ne a unique, could be an echo, could be both. Who knows. we need to wait and see

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, but the playlist that updated was not reveal trailers, but the character spotlight videos, which all characters have
But, I highly doubt that they would only announce an Echo. Assuming the JeuxVideo leak is true (which is likely), here's what we'll get for the remaining characters:

69: Skull Kid
70: Reimu
71: Ayumi Tachibana
72: Isaac

10e: Ninten
11e: Black Shadow
54e: Medusa
60e: Ryu

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
But, I highly doubt that they would only announce an Echo.
It depends on what if you beleive Sakurai's words on on. He said to expect a slowdown of trailers. Echos wouldn't get trailers, so its POSSIBLE we may get like a dump of 3 echos at once.

Or Sakurai was trolling us to surprise people with a direct next week, and then we get 2 unique and some echos, plus details on the spirits mode

Or we just get 1 standalone unique fighter.

Those are the 3 options I see happening.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
So, Reimu has been growing and growing in my head the last few days. I just need to make a large post about her now to get it all out there.

Moveset wise I think everything has been pretty set and said already. I do think as a fighter she should have 2 unique things about her:

Grazing: If she dashes on the ground or in the air(she would have a unique air dash mechanic as well), she can phase through projectile attacks. If that charges up some other part of her or thats it, doesn't matter. She needs to keep the grazing.

Great Air game: Reimu needs to either have multiple jumps, and/or a slow fall mechanic to represent her flying in the series. Maybe she's like Yoshi or Jigglypuff were their up B doesn't really give them more recovery, but they have insane normal jumping to make up for it, plus having the unique air dash mechanic will help with the lack of a normal Up B recovery. COuld also be an 8 way air dash mechanic(double tap on the control stil the direction you go.)

Those 2 mechanics should be a part or Reimus Moveset.

Now, for AT, I think I have the best choice.

View attachment 167919View attachment 167920
Marisa would make a very fun AT. I doubt we would get more then 1 touhou, even with DLC, so having her as an Assist Trophy is her best chance. As an AT I thought of some fun things She could float around the stage on her broom, attacking people and stealing any items they are holding. She'll also grab any item on the stage as well. She'll fire some danmaku a few times as well. Once she steals enough, or after a set time, she'll fire a Master spark and foes, doing lots of damage. This seems quite fitting for her.

Now as for the stage. It has to be Hakurei Shrine for sure.

View attachment 167921

I think though we wouldn't be fighting on the ground, but above it, on a very large Keystone Tenshi created, with some floating around as well as other platforms.

I feel that other members of Gensokyo would be watching, either in the background or flying around on the stage itself as hazards. Gensokjyo residents love to watch and partake in Danmaku fights, so they would have a ball watching this. Some would probably jump in on the action as well. Like Cirno may fly in and start shooting iceicles around that are super easy to dodge, Ibuki may grow large and stomp onto the stage, Tenshi herself may break a keystone to mess with people, if Remilia is walking or floating across the stage and gets attacked, before she gets hit Sakuya appears and time freezese the person, then knifes them, ect. Some characters would only watch though, like The Eintei residence will be sitting having a little Mochi picnic, and Yukari watching above it all with a smile as Chen and Ran sit by her.

Speaking of Yukari...

View attachment 167924

I think she would be a boss in the story mode. She is the most fitting of a boss for Touhou honestly. It would fight with spell cards and Danmaku of course, and learning the patterns to dodge the attacks would be needed to fight her. She would also use her gaps to summon not just trains, but other objects from all the games represented in smash. So for example, she may open a Gap up and thowmps come crashing down, or she calls in an Ultra Beast from pokemon, or summons Ink bomb from the sky. She will also have Ran and Chen helping her out. As for why Yukari would join the bad guys? She found it fun. She also could be a key to the villains plan due to her Gaps allowing herself and the other villains free travel anywhere.

Now music.... Man there are so many. I feel like they could easily top Castlevania in terms of amount. In the spoiler below I'll list a bunch I feel must be in, either like that or new remixes... man, hearing some of these songs done in a full orchestra or remade by famous composers has me excited.

And much more then that could be added as well.

And well, thats what I really had to see for Reimu. :)
Her having a unique air dash would be cool, and I can see it work by mashing the control stick forward or back while floating. This would actually give her crazy aerial mobility without needing to make her fall speed super slow.

I would also argue that the spell card system is iconic to Touhou, and that it should be implemented in her moveset in some way, but I can honestly see it being relegated to Final Smash materiall

zferolie

Smash Hero
Her having a unique air dash would be cool, and I can see it work by mashing the control stick forward or back while floating. This would actually give her crazy aerial mobility without needing to make her fall speed super slow.

I would also argue that the spell card system is iconic to Touhou, and that it should be implemented in her moveset in some way, but I can honestly see it being relegated to Final Smash materiall
yeah, and it could be a reason for her to not have Up B be a recovery, like with Yoshi and Jigglypuff.

Ah I mean her B's and smashes could use modified spell cards. I meant that grazing could or could not charge them, as the OP of the thread has in a potential moveset(or someone on the thread said)

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
What if Yuyuko and Youmu were connected to that Spirits mode in someway? What if they were the Touhou bosses? I mean, I would be down with Yukari, but still.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
What if Yuyuko and Youmu were connected to that Spirits mode in someway? What if they were the Touhou bosses? I mean, I would be down with Yukari, but still.
I can see them playing a part it the take the spirits name fully, though Yukari seems like the more well rounded choice as a boss, given her importance in the touhou lore.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
I think you all are forgetting the most obvious candidate for a boss

3B08C365-8BF0-46BA-A381-40FF5E5444A4.png

Unnamed Giant Catfish from Hisoutensoku

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think you all are forgetting the most obvious candidate for a boss

View attachment 168028
Unnamed Giant Catfish from Hisoutensoku
Yukari could just Gap it in and no non-touhou fan would even get it :)

So, how would a Reimu reveal trailer go, without giving away what it is for too early. I have a feeling it would maybe start a veiw of a land and a person we can barely see looking out after hearing some explosions, and sigh saying, "What, another incident?" And then the camrea zooms over to the sound where we see Bowser, Bowser Jr and either the koopalings or just Bowser minions attacking the land, fighting faries. They seem to be overwhelming when some of the minions get blown away by a ying yang orb and Reimu shows up, "What are you Kappa up to this time? Reimu says as her splash screen shows up. Then her gameplay shows off, and at the end Reimu is standing over a defeated Bowser, "Your Danmaku is quite bad... who is behind this incident," She then spots Yoshi just walking past, and Reimu flies off and attacks him. After the title shows up we see Reimu fighting Yoshi and Kirby, as the camera pans up and we see Yukari watching from above sitting on her gap, and it fades to black as she smiles.

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
We start with a pan of a road decorated with Cherry Blossom trees, and then we see a familiar face running along said path; It's Kirby. It then turns out that he's being chased by fairies trying to shoot him. He then is corned by Youmu, who proceeds to slice through Kirby and take his soul. (Sound familiar?)
We then hear a voice shout "Leave him alone!" The camera pans to a shadowy figure, who then reveals herself.

"REIMU BREAKS THE SEAL!"

zferolie

Smash Hero
You know this morning while driving an idea hit me. I know the chances of this is remote, but what if the Reimu Reveal... is done in Bad Apple style?

Like it does Bad apple but with smash characters till Reimu cuts through it to reveal herself. Think thats too out there?

TheRockingGoomba

Smash Cadet
You know this morning while driving an idea hit me. I know the chances of this is remote, but what if the Reimu Reveal... is done in Bad Apple style?

Like it does Bad apple but with smash characters till Reimu cuts through it to reveal herself. Think thats too out there?
I really don't think that they would do that, as Bad Apple is more of a Fan-Made thing. And they would probably want to reference official stuff.

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
It's time for me to once again discuss the LaPallieDor leak. See, I'm conflicted on what order the final newcomers would be.

If Ayumi is not revealed last, she would basically confirm the leak.

I'm personally thinking if we get a newcomer trailer this month, it will be Skull Kid. Though, there is a chance we could get Isaac instead. And then there's the hypothetical November direct. If that happens, will Reimu lead off the direct just like Simon? Or will she be the big end-off? And where would Ayumi fill into this? It would be unprecedented to get 3 newcomer trailers in one direct, as the maximum in the past has been 2.

October: Skull Kid
November Direct:
Start: Isaac
End: Reimu
(Show Ayumi after Reimu?)

And to those who say Ayumi would be a secret: remember, Sakurai said every character would be shown before launch.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Actually, if we're talking about the reveal order, LaPailledor listed them off in this order:

Isaac
Skull Kid
Ayumi
Reimu

So I'd wager that this would most likely be the reveal order. Would be relatively fitting as well, to have Reimu as the last newcomer revealed, don't you think?

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
Actually, if we're talking about the reveal order, LaPailledor listed them off in this order:

Isaac
Skull Kid
Ayumi
Reimu

So I'd wager that this would most likely be the reveal order. Would be relatively fitting as well, to have Reimu as the last newcomer revealed, don't you think?
Well, yeah. Reimu being the last character would make perfect sense. Though LaPalliedor's first leak listed the fighters out of order.

PurpleXCompleX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PurpleXCompleX
As much as I love Touhou, I just dont believe this LaPalliedor leak.

... As for the rumored Nintendo Direct, like you guys said, here a few points of speculations from my side:
Its a little bit off-topic though
- The "new" label for fighters got removed on the Website.
- Japanese Fighters Playlist on YouTube got Updated (the same thing happened twice before.
10 Days before the 8.8. Direct and
10 Days before the Isabelle reveal

Which is why i am very certain that we can expect a Smash Direct in the coming week. Personally, I think this may be the last one before the release of the game. (As November is like a month before the release of the game, and thus, highly likely for informations of the game to leak)

The Smash Switch Bundle (Smash Themed Switch Console bundled with a preorder download code of the game)
as well as the release of the rerelease of the GameCube Controller + GameCube Adapter coming in November (2nd i believe)

I kind of want to add the fact that a customer, even if it is Smash Bros and people would buy it anyways,
would much rather buy a console+game bundle when they know everything (content wise) about this game. (which we dont)

Even more speculation. Why would they release the GC Controller + Adapter this early before the release? Sure, you could use it for other games, but what if there is a possible "Test Smash" or other kind of Demo?"

Because of this, and the fact, that we may not get that many newcomers in the base game in the first place, makes me think that Reimus best chances are for DLC in the future. I'd still very much welcome a nice surprise reveal for the base game before release of course!

Things of Interest for Touhou fans: Autumn Reitaisai 5 (Biggest Touhou-only convention) is on the 2018-10-14
One can expect Touhou related announcements, official and/or fanmade games and other works there as usual

Last edited:

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
I feel it's too soon for another Smash direct. If anything, I think we'll get a trailer drop ala Robin.

I went back and checked, and most game-specific directs are done less than a month before a game's release.
*Mario Kart 8 Direct: April 30th (Release Date: May 29th)
*Smash Wii U 50 Fact Extravaganza: October 23rd (Release Date: November 21st)
*Splatoon Direct: May 5th (Release Date: May 29th)
*ARMS Direct: May 17th (Release Date: June 16th)
*Splatoon 2 Direct: July 6th (Release Date: July 21st)
*Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Direct: November 7th (Release Date: December 1st)

If I had to pinpoint a possible date, I'd say the following:
*November 7th (Wednesday)
*November 8th (Thursday)
*November 14th (Wednesday)
*November 15th (Thursday)

Also, Nintendo has never announced anything Smash related outside their own directs. At least in terms of characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom