• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

Thatchner

Smash Cadet
Even if this rumor ends up fake, it's still nice to see so many people supportive of wanting Touhou in Smash! Personally, I'm at a point where I don't mind who gets in, because I'd be excited to see them in action either way. Whether it's Doomguy, Tracer, or another FE character, I'll be happy. But, I will admit, seeing Reimu in the game would be one hell of a great surprise!

zferolie

Smash Hero
I will say, it seems like Reimu has never been discussed or noted in the leaking circles in general, at least from what I have gathered from a known person within said circles.
Honestly was terry talked about much before nintendo leaked that themselves? Same with Persona. I feel that most leak circles tend to look at more popular western characters save for dragon quest

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Terry had the occasional smash wishlist discussion. (not even debates on chances or anything. Just people talking about who they wanted) Reimu, like Persona, never really had much of that. So her getting in the public eye really helped.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Honestly was terry talked about much before nintendo leaked that themselves? Same with Persona. I feel that most leak circles tend to look at more popular western characters save for dragon quest
Thing is, it appears that these leaking circles seem to keep a ton of info to themselves. We just had a big user on the Geno thread confirm that there is 4 or so other characters that the circle thinks are likely that has not made it into the public consciousness. After what happened with hinting in the past for them(A lot of chaos happened as a result of the lead up to Banjo), they have become very secretive about this sort of stuff until things are looking rather certain.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Thing is, it appears that these leaking circles seem to keep a ton of info to themselves. We just had a big user on the Geno thread confirm that there is 4 or so other characters that the circle thinks are likely that has not made it into the public consciousness. After what happened with hinting in the past for them(A lot of chaos happened as a result of the lead up to Banjo), they have become very secretive about this sort of stuff until things are looking rather certain.
I think keepimg things secretive is fine, as the hype of the reveal is nice and sakurai seems to like that too. I would like to know more about hard deconfirms then leaked confirms honestly

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think keepimg things secretive is fine, as the hype of the reveal is nice and sakurai seems to like that too. I would like to know more about hard deconfirms then leaked confirms honestly
Same, to an extent. I very much appreciated the clarification on Ryu and Crash when it came to the 5FP, among other things.

You know, if Reimu were to get in, what do you guys think would result in the community fan work wise? I have always looked forward to the fan art that spawns from the crossovers of Smash, and I imagine Touhou would excel 10 fold in that aspect.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Same, to an extent. I very much appreciated the clarification on Ryu and Crash when it came to the 5FP, among other things.

You know, if Reimu were to get in, what do you guys think would result in the community fan work wise? I have always looked forward to the fan art that spawns from the crossovers of Smash, and I imagine Touhou would excel 10 fold in that aspect.
Oh, the fanartists would definitely go nuts with crossover stuff.

Rikarte

Smash Ace

If Reimu were to get in I really hope someone does a Bad Apple-ish music video with all the Smash Ultimate characters. A complete version of this would be beyond glorious!

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion

Considering 1/4th of the fandom talks about the games/music, 1/4 discusses the implied horrors of Gensokyo, 1/4 is comprised of yuri/crossover shipping, and the other 1/4 is crossover fanart in general? Well... To quote an old rule of the internet:

"Rule of the Internet: If it exists, there is a Touhou crossover of it"

I can see certain artists like Mefomefo draw something with Terry Bogard thanks to his popularity with Latin America and Mexico, Yoruny going back to Link after the last encounter he had with Flandre, 'S' and whoever was involved with Touhou Mother might address the last time Ness and Reimu interacted, then there's stuff like MegaMari which can prompt something between Mega Man and Marisa like a certain piece of fanart from several years ago. Even Banpai Akira and the whole Touhouvania stuff! Just imagine getting Dante in the future before OR after Reimu's potential inclusion? That's just begging for Smash fanart with all parties involved, and maybe even the Belmonts thrown in for good measure! Really, the sky's the limit!

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If Reimu were to get in I really hope someone does a Bad Apple-ish music video with all the Smash Ultimate characters. A complete version of this would be beyond glorious!
I don't know if Smash had enough characters to replace all the original characters in that video back then, but it certainly seems feasible now.
Considering 1/4th of the fandom talks about the games/music, 1/4 discusses the implied horrors of Gensokyo, 1/4 is comprised of yuri/crossover shipping, and the other 1/4 is crossover fanart in general? Well... To quote an old rule of the internet:

"Rule of the Internet: If it exists, there is a Touhou crossover of it"

I can see certain artists like Mefomefo draw something with Terry Bogard thanks to his popularity with Latin America and Mexico, Yoruny going back to Link after the last encounter he had with Flandre, 'S' and whoever was involved with Touhou Mother might address the last time Ness and Reimu interacted, then there's stuff like MegaMari which can prompt something between Mega Man and Marisa like a certain piece of fanart from several years ago. Even Banpai Akira and the whole Touhouvania stuff! Just imagine getting Dante in the future before OR after Reimu's potential inclusion? That's just begging for Smash fanart with all parties involved, and maybe even the Belmonts thrown in for good measure! Really, the sky's the limit!
Why do I get the feeling I don't want to know what Gensokyo is? Anyway, there is definitely tons that could be worked with from the combination of Touhou and Smash. From my rather limited Touhou perspective, I already see stuff being done with the Legend of Zelda and certain Touhou fairy characters, Kirby has a ton of material due to things like its propensity for shmups and Marx already being a common comparison to Flandre, the interpretation of how Reimu escaped being dusted by Galeem, yuri shipping in general, the list goes on. If there was a likely future character inclusion that I think would pair well with Touhou stuff, it would be Geno for his varying projectile moveset. Probably a bit biased on that, as he is my most wanted, but I would love to see it.

Really, Touhou in Smash seems like a really great way to kickstart some amazing Nintendo related things.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Why do I get the feeling I don't want to know what Gensokyo is?
Gensokyo is just the setting of Touhou; basically a section of Japan sealed away by a mystical barrier as sort of a preserve or reservation for Youkai, Fairies, and Gods whose existence depends of the faith or fear of humans, and since modernity has swept aside mysticism they are relegated to their own bubble. Any "implied horrors" is just the fanbase speculating on character backstories or the implications of the given backstories.

btw, did you know in Touhou there are several wars between the Earth Youkai and an advanced civilization on the Moon? Or that there's a super strong Fairy from Hell that dresses like the American Flag? Or that a scientist from the outside world attempted to invade Gensokyo but upon her defeat she gifted the heroes a robot maid and a sentient intercontinental ballistic missile? For as much of the implied Touhou lore can be sad, what we're given is just so amazing.

Troykv

Smash Master
Gensokyo is just the setting of Touhou; basically a section of Japan sealed away by a mystical barrier as sort of a preserve or reservation for Youkai, Fairies, and Gods whose existence depends of the faith or fear of humans, and since modernity has swept aside mysticism they are relegated to their own bubble. Any "implied horrors" is just the fanbase speculating on character backstories or the implications of the given backstories.

btw, did you know in Touhou there are several wars between the Earth Youkai and an advanced civilization on the Moon? Or that there's a super strong Fairy from Hell that dresses like the American Flag? Or that a scientist from the outside world attempted to invade Gensokyo but upon her defeat she gifted the heroes a robot maid and a sentient intercontinental ballistic missile? For as much of the implied Touhou lore can be sad, what we're given is just so amazing.
It's just like the real world, but with magical girls

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

That is a rather interesting concept. So what I am getting is that the world of Touhou functions on the idea of "More faith=More power" and the barrier is protection from the lack of faith weakening the creatures to a dangerous degree.

I can tell I am going to like looking into this series. I love weird stuff like this, and heck, this isn't even the first time I delved into learning about a doujin series(The series in question is Akstsuki Blitzkampf). Touhou is much bigger beast to learn about though.

Why an American flag though?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I don't know if Smash had enough characters to replace all the original characters in that video back then, but it certainly seems feasible now.

Why do I get the feeling I don't want to know what Gensokyo is?
The main setting of the games. There's this portion of the fanbase that likes to portray the lore as this hugely ****ed-up Crapsaccharine World (sometimes full Crapsack) where everyone is Morally Ambiguous at best and violently misanthropic at worst. Just search up "Touhou" and "Horror_(Theme)" together in a certain website and you'll see what I mean. Even Pixiv has a tag for it. It's called "Truly Scary Gensokyo".

There is no Robot and Monster and Touhou crossover, so that rule has already failed
To be fair, there are other rules on the list that don't exist either. These things aren't foolproof.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
That is a rather interesting concept. So what I am getting is that the world of Touhou functions on the idea of "More faith=More power" and the barrier is protection from the lack of faith weakening the creatures to a dangerous degree.
Pretty much

Why an American flag though?
Ok, so, basically it's just the Plot of Touhou 15 LoLK. Long story short, the American flag design in canon is to scare the Lunarians, since y'know America landed on the Moon. Out of canon, ZUN felt the Lunarians was analogous to China, and so he thought since the modern opposite/enemy to China is America, the vanguard leading a Lunar assault should embody America. Yes, this means both Earth and Hell have each separately tried to invade the Moon.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
The main setting of the games. There's this portion of the fanbase that likes to portray the lore as this hugely ****ed-up Crapsaccharine World (sometimes full Crapsack) where everyone is Morally Ambiguous at best and violently misanthropic at worst. Just search up "Touhou" and "Horror_(Theme)" together in a certain website and you'll see what I mean. Even Pixiv has a tag for it. It's called "Truly Scary Gensokyo".
Okay, I can see how that can result. I haven't seen too much of this concept outside of some fan art, but I think I am going to kinda avoid that for a bit.
Ok, so, basically it's just the Plot of Touhou 15 LoLK. Long story short, the American flag design in canon is to scare the Lunarians, since y'know America landed on the Moon. Out of canon, ZUN felt the Lunarians was analogous to China, and so he thought since the modern opposite/enemy to China is America, the vanguard leading a Lunar assault should embody America. Yes, this means both Earth and Hell have each separately tried to invade the Moon.
I really love this plot, if just for the amazingly simple logic behind it. My only curiosity about this right now is when bunnies factor in, because that is typically the case whenever the moon is involved in Japanese media.

This also makes me wonder what headcanon would result if both Reimu and Doomguy got into Smash, with Hell being connected to Mars and all.

Rikarte

Smash Ace

Why do I get the feeling I don't want to know what Gensokyo is? Anyway, there is definitely tons that could be worked with from the combination of Touhou and Smash. From my rather limited Touhou perspective, I already see stuff being done with the Legend of Zelda and certain Touhou fairy characters, Kirby has a ton of material due to things like its propensity for shmups and Marx already being a common comparison to Flandre, the interpretation of how Reimu escaped being dusted by Galeem, yuri shipping in general, the list goes on. If there was a likely future character inclusion that I think would pair well with Touhou stuff, it would be Geno for his varying projectile moveset. Probably a bit biased on that, as he is my most wanted, but I would love to see it.

Really, Touhou in Smash seems like a really great way to kickstart some amazing Nintendo related things.
In order to fit everyone in they would have to heavily increase the amount of characters actually, hehe.
I think Geno and Alice would get along really well due to her interest in dolls as well as both of them using rainbow colored magic. Both also help people who get lost in forests... thinking about it, I can't believe I've never seen a crossover picture of the two.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
In order to fit everyone in they would have to heavily increase the amount of characters actually, hehe.
I think Geno and Alice would get along really well due to her interest in dolls as well as both of them using rainbow colored magic. Both also help people who get lost in forests... thinking about it, I can't believe I've never seen a crossover picture of the two.
Wait, on the Smash or Touhou side? I imagine having the Smash side be equal or higher to the number of characters who appeared in that video is more important for a recreation.
I imagine they would pare very well! Looking into her on my end, it seems she is slightly based around Alice in Wonderland, which I find could also pair interestingly with the fact that Geno is slightly inspired by Pinocchio.

Last edited:

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Wait, on the Smash or Touhou side? I imagine having the Smash side be equal or higher to the number of characters who appeared in that video is more important for a recreation.
I imagine they would pare very well! Looking into her on my end, it seems she is slightly based around Alice in Wonderland, which I find could also pair interestingly with the fact that Geno is slightly inspired by Pinocchio.
Touhou. I've never actually counted but I'd say the Bad Apple video has approximately between 30-40 characters which isn't nearly enough to fit in Ultimate's enormous cast.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Touhou. I've never actually counted but I'd say the Bad Apple video has approximately between 30-40 characters which isn't nearly enough to fit in Ultimate's enormous cast.
Yeah, that is quite the difference amount. It's not like all the Smash characters would naturally fit in with such a dynamic video though. Like, how would someone insert Mr. Game & Watch in a way that felt natural?

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
My only curiosity about this right now is when bunnies factor in, because that is typically the case whenever the moon is involved in Japanese media.
Rabbits and the moon have long been associated in Asian mythologies and folklores, but the shortest answer is just as in Europe you'd look up to the moon and see a man, in Asia you'd look up to the moon and see a rabbit. I've linked a wikipedia article for further reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_rabbit

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Yeah, that is quite the difference amount. It's not like all the Smash characters would naturally fit in with such a dynamic video though. Like, how would someone insert Mr. Game & Watch in a way that felt natural?
There are so many creative people within the Touhou fandom, I totally think somebody would be able to come up with something that looks good. And honestly to me G&W especially feels like a perfect fit for a shadow art video like this since he's essentially just a 2D shape.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
It feels so weird how the Reimu speculation evolved this cycle. I've been keeping track of the Reimu rumors for a while and I never expected she would have ever gotten the mainstream speculation she got in the past week or so. I hope that some of the more open minded do try out Touhou whether it be fan games or official games. I would like to see this 'small' franchise grow even more.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
It feels so weird how the Reimu speculation evolved this cycle. I've been keeping track of the Reimu rumors for a while and I never expected she would have ever gotten the mainstream speculation she got in the past week or so. I hope that some of the more open minded do try out Touhou whether it be fan games or official games. I would like to see this 'small' franchise grow even more.
It really is crazy the power Smash has to advertise and get people interested in things. If Reimu does get in, Touhou will most certainly see a jump in fans.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I wish I could get one of those fumo plushes... they're so cute, but they seem very expensive. Anyways, I support. She seems to have some very interesting and unique moveset potential.

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
For the people who may think the Doujin Leak is dead, i will be remaking the summary of timelines i already made earlier with new updated information that points to Reimu's inclusion as the fifth fighter or her inevitable inclusion post-pass. Hoping i can clear up some misinformation that has been going around the community recently involving Reimu and the leak.

However, in the case of the new leaks, like the "Drunk Cat" from 4chan that claims Reimu will be added Post-Pass as a fighter as well as Ryu Hayabusa, i will not include them unless they are confirmed to not be fake.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
For the people who may think the Doujin Leak is dead, i will be remaking the summary of timelines i already made earlier with new updated information that points to Reimu's inclusion as the fifth fighter or her inevitable inclusion post-pass. Hoping i can clear up some misinformation that has been going around the community recently involving Reimu and the leak.

However, in the case of the new leaks, like the "Drunk Cat" from 4chan that claims Reimu will be added Post-Pass as a fighter as well as Ryu Hayabusa, i will not include them unless they are confirmed to not be fake.
FYI, here are the posts I made back in August when the leak happened and the conversation I had with perfectchaos83 perfectchaos83 about the image in question.
The image was never meant be "his" leak.
This is coming from the AoCF Switch leaker. The poster ID (of sort) matches.
Apparently Touhou for Smash rumor is really going around among doujin communities.
The leaker himself thinks the rumors are 70% fake but some are frequently said.

Reimu & Yukari are coming to Smash as a duo. Yukari's moves are from AoCF.
Yukari works like Arsene but she'll stay forever after Reimu earned certain damage %.
Reimu's projectile Yokai Buster has super long hitbox.
Sanae & Kanako are in too. Not sure they are a color swap or an echo.
The stage will be Seirensen (the ship from UFO).

Reimu with Yukari, Yokai Buster, and Seirensen part are rumored repeatedly according to the leaker.

http://rosie.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/famicom/1564768609/827
If I had to guess, they don't want any baka gaijins

Curiouser and curiouser... In any event, I used a JP proxy and managed to look a bit through what he said. Granted, I'm only able to use a machine translation, but it seems that he's done talking about it and doesn't want to get caught.

EDIT: Looks like this was posted by the guy and he deleted it. According to 4chan it's moveset and frame data.

I don't think the pic is related to smash.
He uploaded it to show how loose things are there. This image is leaked from someone working with Touhou officials.

The concept of Reimu & Yukari is very interesting.
If the collab is specifically for AoCF, then it makes perfect sense.
Only thing bugs me is Sanae & Kanako part. I don't think they can work either as color swap or echo.
Which makes the rumor very fishy to me.
The leaker is now saying all that Reimu & Yukari tag team and Sanae & Kanako echo were all his fantasies. May be he has been hearing things other than that supposed track lists, but we shouldn't be focusing on those claims.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Sorry for double post.

I should've translate all his posts back in August.
Yeah, that image was not a leak from him.

Post No.844:
Yukari moves like AoCF.
Youkai Buster has super long-range hitboxes.
The stage is Seirensen.

These things I hear a lot.
Other than that, I made things up to sound interesting based on random rumors.
https://www.logsoku.com/r/2ch.sc/famicom/1564768609/844

Post No.818
Guy working for the official is making this public half in joke, they're hopeless.
https://i.imgur.com/J5wGlh4.jpg [deleted by him right after but this was the image]
https://www.logsoku.com/r/2ch.sc/famicom/1564768609/818

Last edited:

Thatchner

Smash Cadet
FYI, here are the posts I made back in August when the leak happened and the conversation I had with perfectchaos83 perfectchaos83 about the image in question.
The image was never meant be "his" leak.

The leaker is now saying all that Reimu & Yukari tag team and Sanae & Kanako echo were all his fantasies. May be he has been hearing things other than that supposed track lists, but we shouldn't be focusing on those claims.
Sorry for double post.

I should've translate all his posts back in August.
Yeah, that image was not a leak from leak.

Post No.844:
Yukari moves like AoCF.
Youkai Buster has super long-range hitboxes.
The stage is Seirensen.

These things I hear a lot.
Other than that, I made things up to sound interesting based on random rumors.
https://www.logsoku.com/r/2ch.sc/famicom/1564768609/844

Post No.818
Guy working for the official is making this public half in joke, they're hopeless.
https://i.imgur.com/J5wGlh4.jpg [deleted by him right after but this was the image]
https://www.logsoku.com/r/2ch.sc/famicom/1564768609/818
So I'm a little confused, and I guess a little out of the loop. Is the person who supposedly leaked the Reimu and Yukari tag team stuff the same person who "leaked" the music list going around in the doujin circles?

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
So I'm a little confused, and I guess a little out of the loop. Is the person who supposedly leaked the Reimu and Yukari tag team stuff the same person who "leaked" the music list going around in the doujin circles?
Not 100%, but very likely to be the same person.

D

Deleted member

I'm telling you guys, if the leak was truly fake, then it was just a big advertisement board for "Support Reimu in Smash". If the leak was real, well, good for us.

Rikarte

Smash Ace
I'm telling you guys, if the leak was truly fake, then it was just a big advertisement board for "Support Reimu in Smash". If the leak was real, well, good for us.
That's how I view it too. I didn't have any hope for the leak from the very beginning but seeing Reimu being in the spotlight of Smash speculation for a few days was really nice. It's also great to see the majority of the Smash community being open minded about her.

D

Deleted member

That's how I view it too. I didn't have any hope for the leak from the very beginning but seeing Reimu being in the spotlight of Smash speculation for a few days was really nice. It's also great to see the majority of the Smash community being open minded about her.
Fake leaks in general are merely ads. They want to lull people into believing then-unconfirmed stuff, and when it's not real, they just make the run for it.

I hate this system though. Using obvious lies as means to get your character in? That's so not appropriate.

And here we are in a game that gets leaked on a daily basis.

Thatchner

Smash Cadet
Not 100%, but very likely to be the same person.
Alright, I understand then. Thanks for the clarification!

It's still a weird situation. Because this is also the same guy who "leaked" AoCF coming to Switch, right? If so, then I can understand why people are putting this rumour all into question.

At the very least, I think it's opened more people up to the possibility of Reimu in Smash, which is always nice. However, since this gained some traction, we'll probably see plenty of other fake leaks coming around featuring Reimu. We've already got that Kos-Mos one, so I'd expect we'll see more.

D

Deleted member

Alright, I understand then. Thanks for the clarification!

It's still a weird situation. Because this is also the same guy who "leaked" AoCF coming to Switch, right? If so, then I can understand why people are putting this rumour all into question.

At the very least, I think it's opened more people up to the possibility of Reimu in Smash, which is always nice. However, since this gained some traction, we'll probably see plenty of other fake leaks coming around featuring Reimu. We've already got that Kos-Mos one, so I'd expect we'll see more.
To quote the late Miriam Defensor-Santiago:

"I feel like Indiana Jones in the Temple of Doom."

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
My only curiosity about this right now is when bunnies factor in
To put this one simply, the Moon Rabbits are basically the primary infantry of the moon people- albeit extremely ineffective because they're usually pretty timid. One such rabbit, Reisen Udongein Inaba, got spooked during the moon landing so much that she fled to the earth, and ended up joining with a couple of fellow refugees from the moon, including the series' equivalent of THE Princess Kaguya (Y'know, from the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter?).

Kaguya's not even the only notable historical/mythological figure ZUN has used, either. Another character who links Touhou to traditional Japanese stories (In this case, a historical figure) is the character Toyosatomimi no Miko, a Taoist hermit who happens to be the true identity of the famous japanese politician, Prince Shoutoku.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What do you guys think a Touhou stage would be like? Location, layout, hazards, cameos, etc. I know the shrine is often the location mentioned, but I have no clue how things would be laid out or to what level the bullet hell elements will appear as.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
What do you guys think a Touhou stage would be like? Location, layout, hazards, cameos, etc. I know the shrine is often the location mentioned, but I have no clue how things would be laid out or to what level the bullet hell elements will appear as.
I could actually very easily see it being a walkoff (unfortunately) set directly in front of the shrine. I tend to imagine there'd be a bunch of characters lounging around in the background, with a few popping in as stage hazards with spellcard attacks or other shenanigans (maybe Yukari, Kasen, Remilia, Mamizou, and Youmu, just to toss out a few names).

Top Bottom