• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shrine Maiden of Paradise ~ Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey guys I'm back. Interesting development in Smash news/leaks recently. Hopefully the shrine maiden is coming to the Brawl no pun intended.

Edit: Page 30 guys!

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Now that I think about it, Reimu is basically the Japanese equivalent of Shantae.

Is it possible that a major industry composer (ACE, Keiichi Okabe/Monaca, Yoko Shimomura, Rei Kondoh, etc.) is handling Marisa's theme, hence its absence in the list of music tracks the doujin circles supposedly worked on?

Last edited:

Exiliify

Smash Apprentice
Now that I think about it, Reimu is basically the Japanese equivalent of Shantae.

Is it possible that a major industry composer (ACE, Keiichi Okabe/Monaca, Yoko Shimomura, Rei Kondoh, etc.) is handling Marisa's theme, hence its absence in the list of music tracks the doujin circles supposedly worked on?
No she isn't. Shantae is nowhere near Reimu's level

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Or perhaps ZUN himself is doing it. That wouldn't leak in the doujin circles either. The idea of composers outside of the doujin circles is a fun idea though. Any hopes if that were the case?

Sysreq

Smash Ace
@papagenos has made a video about the current speculation atm, including our girl reimu

It's actually kind of encouraging reading the comments on that video since most of them are "Oh man, Touhou in Smash would be awesome!" or "Reimu would be cool" or "I'm fine with any of these three characters". None of the ones I read were really "Who is Reimu? Get her out of here."

I even read some comments that said they did some googling about Reimu and decided she sounded cool.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
No she isn't. Shantae is nowhere near Reimu's level
Probably should rephrase my statement. Of you can't compare the Shantae series to Touhou, especially with the latter series being older and having a larger fanbase, if that is what you're talking about. It's hard for me to put in words, but like Shantae, Reimu is an independent video game character who is a frequently recurring topic in the Smash speculation cycle. That is what I meant, I didn't mean it in terms of popularity.

Or perhaps ZUN himself is doing it. That wouldn't leak in the doujin circles either. The idea of composers outside of the doujin circles is a fun idea though. Any hopes if that were the case?
If there was one composer that I personally wanted to hear do a take on Touhou, it's Keiichi Okabe and/or Keigo Hoashi.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Touhou faam please don't give up hope. I too don't want to give up hope.

I just want a true female fighter in this pass. If it was all male I'mma boycott the pass. Nintendo won't have my money.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
If there was one composer that I personally wanted to hear do a take on Touhou, it's Keiichi Okabe and/or Keigo Hoashi.
Didn't recognize those names at first, but looking them up I can certainly agree. The influences of the Nier soundtrack could work wonders with Touhou songs.

D

Deleted member

Didn't recognize those names at first, but looking them up I can certainly agree. The influences of the Nier soundtrack could work wonders with Touhou songs.
I've personally never listened to the Nier soundtrack but I've heard good things about it. What's the sound like?

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Oh damn, it just occurred to me that if Reimu makes it in (especially if she's FP5), there will be so many memes and ****posts made lol. Especially yukkuri ones, I imagine. :nifty:

D

Deleted member

Oh damn, it just occurred to me that if Reimu makes it in (especially if she's FP5), there will be so many memes and ****posts made lol. Especially yukkuri ones, I imagine. :nifty:
Twitter is going to be sooo much fun if all this was real. Never had I experienced such uncultured salt since the SNK leak.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I've personally never listened to the Nier soundtrack but I've heard good things about it. What's the sound like?
At least when it comes to Nier: Automatas soundtrack, it's rather hard to describe. It can be calm, intense, catchy, heartbreaking, etc. It's rather futuristic in nature, and even uses a hypothetical language that combines all other languages as its vocals. Here is a pretty popular boss theme from the game.
How so?

D

Deleted member

At least when it comes to Nier: Automatas soundtrack, it's rather hard to describe. It can be calm, intense, catchy, heartbreaking, etc. It's rather futuristic in nature, and even uses a hypothetical language that combines all other languages as its vocals. Here is a pretty popular boss theme from the game.
IMG_20190902_103958.jpg

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
Tbh I am thinking that some of the more iconic themes (Beloved Tomboyish Girl, UN Owen Was Her, Bad Apple, Marisa themes, Flowering Night) might be saved for smash remix team or maybe even ZUN himself.

D

Deleted member

Tbh I am thinking that some of the more iconic themes (Beloved Tomboyish Girl, UN Owen Was Her, Bad Apple, Marisa themes, Flowering Night) might be saved for smash remix team or maybe even ZUN himself.
That's sick.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I'm going to be controversial here and say that I would actually prefer the songs I'm into go to some of the doujin groups unless they're specifically going to Shimomura. >_>

Particularly if they can get WAVE on board.

U.N. was on the list though under the Sunny Milk's Scarlet Mist Incident (which is... weird to use a remix as the basis of a remix, but whatever).

And all that being said, if they were saving some songs for an 'elevated' status with the Smash music team, the breakdown is still kind of weird since I'd expect Story of Eastern Wonderland, Necrofantasia, and either Spring Lane or Maiden's Capriccio would be amongst those.

Look... I guess in the end, the point I'm trying to make is, I want my freaking Chinese Tea.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
What about that will spawn a lot of memes? Especially in regard to the character you mentioned.
Uhh, idk, the fact that an indie series finally got in is some prime meme material. Here's a ****ty meme I made in 5 min with yukkuri reimu.
1571628326070.png

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Uhh, idk, the fact that an indie series finally got in is some prime meme material. Here's a ****ty meme I made in 5 min with yukkuri reimu.
Ahhh, I see. I will say, I don't think it will be as salty as it would've been if Reimu was announced or talked about pre more characters announcement, but I am sure it will still be there. I imagine Ryu will still be in though, especially if what I have heard from the Geno thread today pans out.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Ahhh, I see. I will say, I don't think it will be as salty as it would've been if Reimu was announced or talked about pre more characters announcement, but I am sure it will still be there. I imagine Ryu will still be in though, especially if what I have heard from the Geno thread today pans out.
I mean, I also think Ryu's chances are really high; that's just an example if Reimu ended up being FP5.

D

Deleted member

I mean, I also think Ryu's chances are really high; that's just an example if Reimu ended up being FP5.
Same. Though I would prefer him to be season 2. We need a true 100% female fighter in the pass goddammit

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
How likely do you think Reimu being FP5 is btw? I don't think it's super likely, partially because of what I understand is going around in the leaking community as of now and the regency of this Reimu stuff making me feel like she is a fair bit away.

D

Deleted member

How likely do you think Reimu being FP5 is btw? I don't think it's super likely, partially because of what I understand is going around in the leaking community as of now and the regency of this Reimu stuff making me feel like she is a fair bit away.
I'd say...75% if the music leak is to go by.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
As FP5 I think Reimu is probably 50% or lower. The leak said music was being made for Smash but no timeline. Assuming it's for FP5 is just jumping to conclusions.

D

Deleted member

As FP5 I think Reimu is probably 50% or lower. The leak said music was being made for Smash but no timeline. Assuming it's for FP5 is just jumping to conclusions.
In case you're wondering here's a timeline I got from the Saber Discord.
The_doujin_music_leak.png

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
That seems to be a problem papageno noted in his video when it came to Hero, Ryu and possibly Crash. People get this info and assume that must mean the character is next when there was no actual indicator for that.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
In case you're wondering here's a timeline I got from the Saber Discord.
I meant a timeline for the content; see EarlTamm EarlTamm 's post.
That seems to be a problem papageno noted in his video when it came to Hero, Ryu and possibly Crash. People get this info and assume that must mean the character is next when there was no actual indicator for that.
Exactly. We hear about the content, but we don't know when the content will be revealed.

D

Deleted member

I meant a timeline for the content; see EarlTamm EarlTamm 's post.

Exactly. We hear about the content, but we don't know when the content will be revealed.
Sorry for the misinformation. I was quite desperate.

It's all guesses for the meantime.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
There is something that I have seen brought up and I am also curious of in regard to the music leak, and that is the fact that Smash has typically not gotten the help of doujin creators for music remixes. As someone unfamiliar to this sort of thing, why do you guys think this would be the case for Touhou, and to such an extreme degree?

Sysreq

Smash Ace
There is something that I have seen brought up and I am also curious of in regard to the music leak, and that is the fact that Smash has typically not gotten the help of doujin creators for music remixes. As someone unfamiliar to this sort of thing, why do you guys think this would be the case for Touhou, and to such an extreme degree?
Touhou kind of revolves around the doujin spirit. ZUN, the creator, is very lax about the IP and lets fans have a lot of freedom with the characters, which has led to countless remixes of the music, fan games, doujinshi--you name it. It almost feels kind of appropriate in a way since Touhou has gotten as big as it has due to how passionate the fans are.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The thing that makes Reimu feel like FP5 if you take everything about the story at face value is the 4chan leak in Nov 2018. There's no possible way that would work for post FP5 (Unless Nintendo is really planning a Reimu reveal for China and plans haven't been on track for that to make FP5). It may be a straight up coincidence and I'm fairly positive that there's no real way for the 5ch guy to have piggybacked off of it. If the November leak was fake, then that does open up post FP5 much more readily.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Touhou kind of revolves around the doujin spirit. ZUN, the creator, is very lax about the IP and lets fans have a lot of freedom with the characters, which has led to countless remixes of the music, fan games, doujinshi--you name it. It almost feels kind of appropriate in a way since Touhou has gotten as big as it has due to how passionate the fans are.
That males sense. I knew about how lax he was with this sort of thing(That is why the amount of tracks is sorta believable to me. It's like a reverse Final Fantasy), but the whole fan angle thing was not something I considered too much. It is a rather sweet sentiment if true. I forget if something lile that was ever done in Smash before though.
The thing that makes Reimu feel like FP5 if you take everything about the story at face value is the 4chan leak in Nov 2018. There's no possible way that would work for post FP5 (Unless Nintendo is really planning a Reimu reveal for China and plans haven't been on track for that to make FP5). It may be a straight up coincidence and I'm fairly positive that there's no real way for the 5ch guy to have piggybacked off of it. If the November leak was fake, then that does open up post FP5 much more readily.
Considering how many "leaks" there are like this, especially on sites like 4chan, a coincidence may be possible. Not 100% sure though.

Sc_Ev0lution

Smash Journeyman
Touhou itself is a doujin series, not in the sense of being a derivative work (though it has its influences) but rather as made by an independent developer as a hobby, and the creator ZUN has from the start been very open to the involvement of other creators to iterate on Touhou. The series identity is inextricably linked with the Doujin Spirit.

Still, you raise a good point: making the enormous assumption Reimu is in, how likely is Nintendo to involve doujin circles in the first place? I've seen some people try to detract from Reimu's chances saying ZUN disproves of Nintendo's stance on doujin, when in point of fact 1) Nintendo is only hash about derivative works of their own IPs, 2) Nintendo is more than happy to include Touhou fangames on switch, and 3) Nintendo even included Touhou music in Jam with the Band on 3ds (Japan only game). So, working with ZUN is on the table, doujin games aren't bad to Nintendo on principle. But would Nintendo trust news of their secret dlc fighter to several groups of amateurs? idk, it's worth considering.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
All I care about is Necrofantasia being in. Hahaha

It’s my favorite Touhou song honestly. So I really hope the leak is real even more now. Getting Touhou in Smash in general was always something I’ve imagined but never thought would happen. This leak just gave me more hope.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Touhou itself is a doujin series, not in the sense of being a derivative work (though it has its influences) but rather as made by an independent developer as a hobby, and the creator ZUN has from the start been very open to the involvement of other creators to iterate on Touhou. The series identity is inextricably linked with the Doujin Spirit.

Still, you raise a good point: making the enormous assumption Reimu is in, how likely is Nintendo to involve doujin circles in the first place? I've seen some people try to detract from Reimu's chances saying ZUN disproves of Nintendo's stance on doujin, when in point of fact 1) Nintendo is only hash about derivative works of their own IPs, 2) Nintendo is more than happy to include Touhou fangames on switch, and 3) Nintendo even included Touhou music in Jam with the Band on 3ds (Japan only game). So, working with ZUN is on the table, doujin games aren't bad to Nintendo on principle. But would Nintendo trust news of their secret dlc fighter to several groups of amateurs? idk, it's worth considering.
The only thing Nintendo does crackdown on are derivatives of their games (Pokemon ROM Hacks, you could say Project M). Doujin stuff is completely fine, and like I've said, much indie stuff can already be found at the base game, so it's no jinx if they include Japanese stuff as well.

D

Deleted member

Clearly it was if the leak is legit, as Touhou stuff was leaked by them long before any Smash source could do it.
Or they probably don't trust surprises anymore since the Smash community loves its leakers and they said "Screw it, we'll do the leaking ourselves"

Top Bottom