• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Showing mercy

David Wonn

Smash Ace
At what points and in which situations do you show your opponent(s) mercy online? Also, when do you give none at all? I will give my scenarios to start out:

I most likely show mercy when...

1. I have an idle opponent in Team Battle. Sometimes it's not obvious right away if you like to get into the action immediately, as I do. I will back off if my opponent appears to be lifeless after I had initially attacked. I'll try to keep them on-stage and let my partner go one-on-one with the remaining opponent. I do this in hopes that the favors are returned when I am unfortunate enough to get stuck with that idle player. Of course that doesn't always happen, so there are natural exceptions to this rule.

2. I am dominating the match. This is evident when I am the only person with a positive score or if nobody kills our team at all. After a match or two like this, I am more likely to back off and switch to lesser used characters to even up the fight, and to give me some much needed practice where I am weak.

3. One player is getting ganged up on in Basic Brawl. I seldom ever enter Basic Brawl since it is rare to find a combination of skilled players, honorable players, and true free-for-all players. Even having just one player with one of the three attributes is rare enough itself. Therefore, I will not attack the player who is "crashing" the party, since I am all for that. If I'm lucky, I'll turn it into a 2 vs. 2 or a true free-for-all. The moment I see any of that "KO charity" or related garbage is the moment they have truly conceded that they suck, and I promptly disconnect the group with no questions asked.

4. An opponent picks Ganondorf. That does not mean I'm holding back, but I will refrain from some of the cheaper anti-Ganon tactics in hopes they will stick around another match so I can join in as Ganon myself. One of these days I'll get all 4 players to pick Ganon if I try enough....

"You'll get no sympathy from me" when...

1. I get an idle partner in Team Battle and the opponents attack without caring. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that I will lose, although ironically I have won these on occasion. I will definitely hang around long enough to ensure one of my opponents gets stuck with the idle partner. When (not if) this happens, I will show no ounce of mercy on either the live opponent or the one who is away. I might even stick around for one more to ensure the other player gets stuck with the idle partner and repeat the process.

2. Overpowered items are involved. Since I cannot tell for certain who picked them, I have to assume any one of my opponents did. I may even smack someone with the fan for the whole match just to show my disgust with their lousy choices. One exception might be if this scenario is combined with mercy rule #1. Then I'll just toss every item off the stage or eat them all as Kirby / DDD / Wario if I happened to pick one of them.

3. Taunters / teamers are involved. Fortunately they stick to Basic Brawl 99% of the time, so I don't have to deal with them much. But when they are foolish enough to attempt that childish stuff in Team Battle, I go after them relentlessly. That is, unless of course they pick someone fast like Sonic in the Hyrule Temple and think they can waste my time chasing them. In that case, I'll just double team against your partner and let you taunt all you want. :-) Either way, the taunters always lose. Always.

4. Chain grabbing scrubs are involved. Most of the time I run into these players that stick with Falco / DDD, I quickly find out that is all they know about the character. It becomes very evident with all the whiffed grab attempts as you get in close. I make sure they learn soon enough that there is more to the game than just grabbing. These players often get gimped quite easily and I capitalize on that as often as possible. I then rejoice as they promptly leave as they often do after getting unexpectedly owned for one match.

5. Someone picks a character with terrible recovery that heavily relies on tethers. This one might be slightly controversial, in that I have no qualms about edgehogging. I especially show no mercy as Ganon against an Olimar, but I don't encounter Olimars much online. Sometimes they are crazy enough to challenge me offstage when I use a character with a good ledge game, like Samus. Then they quickly forget that she has a tether too....

Given my personal "rules" as a starting point for discussion, what are everyone else's?

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
I show no mercy in Basic Brawl. With FC people thats another story.

Even if they are "idle" I still beat them down. If you had to go somewhere you should have left the room, period. No excuses. This is a battlefield, not a chatroom. Also you find deadbeats who just act idle on purpose. >__>
To sum up I never show mercy in Basic Brawl. I'm not going to limit myself. They WILL get kirbycided, they WILL get spiked, they WILL get edgehogged, and they WILL get gimped... hard.

I wasn't always like this, though. This is just how Basic Brawl made me.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I'm mostly a Team Battler

I show no mercy in Basic Brawl. With FC people thats another story. [...]
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly that the "rules" are different for Basic Brawl. Idle players in that mode are anyone's fair game, as if anything there is ever played fairly. Sometimes I will beat up on them; other times I won't, depending on mood. I probably didn't make it too clear in advance that most of my points would address Team Battle, which is what I play the most. That's mainly due to the overall lameness that goes on in Basic Brawl, which I only enter when I can't find good Team Battlers (or I'm really bored.)

satowolf

Oppa Gundam Style
I show no mercy in Team Battle more than I do in basic. i'm pretty lax there unless i'm bored and feel like doing a 1v3 or if i happen to leap into a FFA and side-b everyone with Zamus.

In With Friend's mode i'm kinda flexible depending on the person/people. I show sympathy when someone is idle or when someone is taunting. And I start getting competitive when everyone chooses their mains and go all out. :p

Jonas

Smash Champion
Like if I'm in the lead and my opponent messed up (because of lag or something), giving me an easy edgeguard to win the match, I might go "Arh whatever" and let him get back on stage.
"Mercy" in a video game is a strange concept to me though. After all, it's just a game, and I don't expect my opponent to be offended or hurt if I beat him.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
One misconception... I don't do KO charity because I suck, but rather cuz I'm lazy as hell lol. I know how to play the game full well.

Anyway, keep in mind that we need every possible edge we partyists can get, as the crasher(s) only need ONE win(followed by leaving the room immediately) in order to successfully troll out a party. The three partyists have significantly less incentive to leave after winning, as it likely took a while to get all of them together, so yeah, our only option is to attempt to force the crasher out. With a theoretically large number of games for the crasher to possibly win on, EVERY advantage matters.
Anyways, I'll usually guard AFKs when possible, and tone down my moves if an opponent clearly doesn't know what they're doing.

If it's abundantly clear that a non-partyist is just some random player who's not too good at the game and has no conception of what taunt parties or crashing them means, then I WILL do my best to disguise the match as a FFA by jabbing the other partyists or hitting them with light attacks every so often.

M-Wolf

Smash Apprentice
Lets see, I show mercy when...
2 people gang up on one person in basic brawl, especially if they're taking turns grabbing and hitting or jab locking together (unless the person decides to promptly turn around and try to kill me).
When there is an afk person on team battle. I'll do the same thing as david.
When a new player/newb (not n00bs) is getting pwned.
A taunter is begging me to help them (depends).

I don't show mercy, aka I'm going to **** your *** when...
Someone steals a KO.
Someone avoids combat until the others have a lot of dmg then tries to KO them.
Someone is being a slave driver in basic brawl.
Pit or MK scrouge.
Get a KO then run away the rest of the time.
Afk ppl in basic brawl. I switch to MK and use dtilt sting to trap them against a wall the whole round.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
Lets see, I show mercy when...
2 people gang up on one person in basic brawl, especially if they're taking turns grabbing and hitting or jab locking together (unless the person decides to promptly turn around and try to kill me).
When there is an afk person on team battle. I'll do the same thing as david.
When a new player/newb (not n00bs) is getting pwned.
A taunter is begging me to help them (depends).

I don't show mercy, aka I'm going to **** your *** when...
Someone steals a KO.
Someone avoids combat until the others have a lot of dmg then tries to KO them.
Someone is being a slave driver in basic brawl.
Pit or MK scrouge.
Get a KO then run away the rest of the time.
Afk ppl in basic brawl. I switch to MK and use dtilt sting to trap them against a wall the whole round.
This.

I REALLY feel bad if a crasher is being teamed, even though there trying to troll the party or whatever the heck you wanna call it, it's still really unfair. I only don't show mercy if he starts hitting me, if he does, I start ****** him/her.

I DO NOT show mercy when people are AFK or when i'm teamed with someone AFK and the teammates keep hitting him. It really pisses me off, but it also makes me mad at the person who is AFK, cuz if you're not going to be on, then don't do Team Battle. Don't make others lose just cuz you don't feel like brawling or whatever. ._. There's an exception if they don't know though, as i've seen people do that.

BSP

Smash Legend
When I'm falcon, no one gets any mercy. They just get knees.

But I guess I won't attack people who arent there. What's the fun in that?

David Wonn

Smash Ace
3 vs. 1 should already be enough advantage

[...] Anyway, keep in mind that we need every possible edge we partyists can get, as the crasher(s) only need ONE win(followed by leaving the room immediately) in order to successfully troll out a party. [...]
If 3 against 1 isn't already an advantage itself, I do not know what to say.

Anyway, there are certainly misconceptions on both ends. I don't just crash taunt parties to win one game; I find it more satisfying to continue until I make them all quit one by one. :-)

Moogi

Smash Apprentice
I've always found with most of the parties I've been in, if I attack a crasher, the others stay off to the side and do whatever they want. I admit 3 vs. 1 is unfair, but it's hard to control what everyone else does. If I decided to attack a partyist in a way to 'back off', 90% of the time they'd start attacking me back.

Though if the crasher goes around me and attacks the other partyists in the middle of our 1 vs 1, then there's no mercy.

As for n00bs... well, if they're just 'new' to Brawl but they actually try, I'm a little bit merciful, but Pikas/Lucas/Ikes who spam the same move over and over... well, no mercy at all.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar

Anyway, there are certainly misconceptions on both ends. I don't just crash taunt parties to win one game; I find it more satisfying to continue until I make them all quit one by one. :-)
I like you.

No homo.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Well, keep in mind that low odds of winning + theoretical infinite number of games = at least one win, so yeah.

That's not really crashing, then. That's more along the lines of going in for a fight.

A crasher's main goal is to troll. >.>

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Sometimes the taunters aren't so bad

I've always found with most of the parties I've been in, if I attack a crasher, the others stay off to the side and do whatever they want.
These are the taunt parties I like, where everyone else isn't looking for a 3 vs. 1, but a 1 vs. 1 with 2 spectators. Sometimes I'll even become one of the spectators myself. For this reason I can sometimes be mistaken for a taunter. Another way I can be mistaken for this is when I teamed with a crasher and the original taunters have since left, being replaced with new people. The line between taunter and crasher then becomes rather thin.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord

That would not happen when i'm around, I don't quit until I have to/the battles get boring. =P Crashers always come and get me cuz I pick Jigglypuff (mostly in first rounds) but when they see how good I am, they usually stay away from me. =P

These are the taunt parties I like, where everyone else isn't looking for a 3 vs. 1, but a 1 vs. 1 with 2 spectators. Sometimes I'll even become one of the spectators myself. For this reason I can sometimes be mistaken for a taunter. Another way I can be mistaken for this is when I teamed with a crasher and the original taunters have since left, being replaced with new people. The line between taunter and crasher then becomes rather thin.
I think I said this earlier, but yeah. I don't like when everyones fighting at once, cuz then they put thereself in the way to get hit and then get mad at the person, when there the ones in way.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
If they're AFK and idk what they're like i let'em be.

If they bother me i show no mercy at least until i get bored.

U.K.L.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0061-1001-8130
in a taunt party no if someone fight me ill fight in to 1 i make him leave 2 i get bored of him

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Theres something that bothers me about a player thats not actually there. Me, being an honorable person, tries to protect the lifeless player and succeeds. The player then starts moving and wat does he do to repay me? He goes after me! I then realize that the guy is a noob who doesnt play that good but if hes moving I wont show mercy wen they attack me. Especially if its someone I helped.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
I'am not even going to bother with Team battle only because my bad luck overrides the meter of things I hate when the match starts or on the players I encounter. I always play casually and never serious on them since I play Basic Brawl to relax and kill time. I always encounter different match ups every time I join a different groups.

Taunt Parties
I never bother to taunt. I just watch. Plain and simple.

3 Vs. 1
Not in my book. I don't assist in those. I just watch 2 people attack a basher or sometimes the 2 have a friendship alliance and will attack the next person that joins but they never bother me. I just watch. If the basher or random attacks me will intent of KOing then I fight back and if the other 2 get in the way "Oh well...don't get in the way next time." If I'm the one getting ganged up on I always go for the weakest player in addition to making them accidentally KOing their allies or making them take false hits.

2 Vs. 2
Oh boy...these are extremely rare for medespite how much Basic Brawl I play. When these happen I still stand by but attack when they attack me. I ignore my so-called-partner. If they double team me I always get the weakest player. Pretty much as I explained in 3 Vs. 1.

1 Vs. 1
Most of the time I'm just the watcher. Very rare it is me that is fighting a player one on one. Depending on the player if they show "respect" I KO myself when I KO them. If it is an "ego or a sensed non-losing type" player they won't star KOs very easily off me. Also if items are turned on and they are using them to crutch them to earning KOs. (Somehow the worst items are always turned on in these and the other types.)

Free for all
When everyone is fighting. I just attack who is attack me. The only way I steal KOs is if an high damaged player tried to attack me. I just stand by and wait for someone to try and attack me.

Overall I don't focus to win. Mostly to watch and fight any player that comes my way. Usually if they're skilled it is a big plus and I enjoy fighting them but only if they don't use items to assist them because they starve a KO or to win the match. I get annoyed a tad bit by bad players and when they turn on the worst items that KO way too early.

MuttonBasher

Smash Apprentice
The moment I see any of that "KO charity" or related garbage is the moment they have truly conceded that they suck, and I promptly disconnect the group with no questions asked.
^^^THIS. Crap like this degrades what BB should be about. I'm glad you see it too, DWonn.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Lately I've been having a change of heart on showing mercy. Mostly because lately the matches i get are if your badly owning someone one of the 2 watchers will assist them.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Lately Ive been wanting to brawl more and more so I make players brawl me by fgrabbing them XD. I'm starting to get tired of showing mercy. "They'll get no sympathy from me".
It's the BS hits I take from the watchers when I'm fighting someone. Falcon Punches, Fsmashes, Charged Beam Cannons from Samus, and the main one I worry about is the Oil Panic if he caught 3 powerful projectiles because if so it is a instantly KO from 0% in FD.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
It's the BS hits I take from the watchers when I'm fighting someone. Falcon Punches, Fsmashes, Charged Beam Cannons from Samus, and the main one I worry about is the Oil Panic if he caught 3 powerful projectiles because if so it is a instantly KO from 0% in FD.
I hate that too. Especially Snakes nades and nikita thingie. Even when they're trying to help me it pisses me off. I can take care of things by myself geez...

Sephy95

Smash Lord
In the beginning when I first started playing online, I would show mercy but then I'd get backstabbed. I will not stand for that any longer.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
In the beginning when I first started playing online, I would show mercy but then I'd get backstabbed. I will not stand for that any longer.
Reminds me of the couples that I run into in BB. Always red and the player is a Marth and the other is Zelda or Peach. They didn't attack me for a large amount of games then suddenly they thought it be good to team me.

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Reminds me of the couples that I run into in BB. Always red and the player is a Marth and the other is Zelda or Peach. They didn't attack me for a large amount of games then suddenly they thought it be good to team me.
Thats never happened to me. Sorta. I have also run into couples. Some will take care of brawlers trying to attack them. They'll also knock you away just for walking by them. It gets on my nerves so I just fight them both. I enjoy challenges.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Thats never happened to me. Sorta. I have also run into couples. Some will take care of brawlers trying to attack them. They'll also knock you away just for walking by them. It gets on my nerves so I just fight them both. I enjoy challenges.
I do that too. I think that is the only time I ever switch to red Peach. I like if the other player that gets knocked away helps.XD

Top Bottom