• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Show Me Your Vids! Falcon Video and Player Thread

Dekar173

Justice Man
I don't actually think they plan on uploading these to YT so here's a local we just had yesterday, placed 3/49 for singles and 1/19 for doubles. That's a decent turnout especially for our scene, but the entry fees were pretty damn low lol. Also finals kinda detracted from the turnout, Xmas time tourneys always suffer from that.

http://www.twitch.tv/garetro/b/596481392
33:15-44:06
1:05:00-1:20:28 2-3 sets
1:45:45-2:08:00ish 3-4 sets idk also loser's finals was bo3 since this was our first smash 4 tourney we really didn't know how long things would be dragging out, especially since we didn't know how many GC adapters we'd have.

Soooo many SDs by opponents <.< When the game's new that'll happen I guess but it does sort of take away from victories/defeats. I think in the next tourney if people keep it up I'll just reset sets when they do so.

My biggest problem is definitely punish game so far, and I've set up a few bad habits with improperly spacing aerials, leading to shield grabs and other punishes. I was struggling a bit in getting off the ledge against 'zard in singles, but we punched out some friendlies and I'm much more comfortable in the match-up overall now. I was unaware it'd be bo3 so I was trying out Mario in order to kind of reset my mindset/erase some of the horrid tendencies I'd been setting up on Falcon- I wasn't straying I promise >:)

We have some doubles sets up here too:

3:11:10-3:33:41 2 sets
4:27:45-4:37:55 grand finals, bo3 again sorry. I think they probably would've taken a round or two at least after getting some more momentum going/figuring out punishes and stuff if it carried on into bo5.

Also @ that sonic clip killing him at 39%, he was charging a smash so he takes extra knockback if its the same as Brawl (I'm pretty sure it's relatively the same maybe with new numbers/scaling).

Last edited:

Starkiller2

Smash Cadet
how does di affect this? i feel like i can never get dthrow to knee to actually combo against an actual person despite being able to do so in training
I've landed dthrow->knee twice on a competitive player, but neither time was actually a combo. His character jumped, but the knee came out in just enough time to stuff the jump. Both of these were also at VERY low percents on Rosalina, btw.

Dekar173

Justice Man
I got dthrow > knee on a ~100% bowser jr in tourney on saturday, it had to be a combination of poor DI and inaction though, it seems a bit slow watching it to be a true combo.

ken123103

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I just got back from NEC 15 in philly. I ended up getting 9th in the tournament which kinda sucks, but I got to play 3 matches on stream!

The archive is here at twitchtv and it starts at 4:55:50 : smashstudios/b/596447997 (can't post link since i'm new)

I face a good Wii fit trainer in casuals first then I play Chris G in tournament.

My next match is the top 8 qualifier against a good sheik, and that starts at 5:25:45.

Please give me any and all advice/critique. I think my falcon is pretty good, but needs some improvement.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Gale Boomerang shenanigans are always hilarious, hahaha. I remember seeing a similar video, but the Captain remained grounded and reversed the pawnch.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Greninja vs Captain Falcon:
Holy crap, I'm sorry for this post but that is painful to watch. That guy has never played Falcon before, right? No Uairs!? NOT USING CAPTAIN FALCON'S BEST MOVE?!

And when he successfully lands a dair and Greninja comes back, the first thing he does to rack up damage is... b-throw? I just couldn't watch the fight anymore, after that...

Moving on... there's a guy uploading videos of himself in For Glory, he's making a series called "Chronicles of a ****ty Captain Falcon main" (I think he's anything BUT ****ty...) and posting it on the Smash Subreddit. Give it a watch, I really like his style:

(the latest video in the series so far)

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Holy crap, I'm sorry for this post but that is painful to watch. That guy has never played Falcon before, right? No Uairs!? NOT USING CAPTAIN FALCON'S BEST MOVE?!

And when he successfully lands a dair and Greninja comes back, the first thing he does to rack up damage is... b-throw? I just couldn't watch the fight anymore, after that...

Moving on... there's a guy uploading videos of himself in For Glory, he's making a series called "Chronicles of a ****ty Captain Falcon main" (I think he's anything BUT ****ty...) and posting it on the Smash Subreddit. Give it a watch, I really like his style:

(the latest video in the series so far)
There were uairs for sure, but I get what you're saying. As a commentator, I can't simply state "THIS FALCON SUCKS!" :p I've got to be composed and treat the match as what it is - two players facing off against each other as strangers, where one is often better than the other. But seeing how the worse player adapts and grows, and eventually improves over time, is amazing and interesting. At least to me. I can't be overly critical, that's not my job as a commentator. I have to step back and help them see things from different perspectives to help them improve.

Higher level tournament matches are exciting for sure, but there's more to competitive play than what you see on tournament streams. Playing to improve is a big element of competitive play, and I'm trying to shine a light on and help players improve by holding up a mirror.

Commentators have to be alright with commentating low-to-medium-level matches, not just top-16 tournament bracket matches. They are more educational and entertaining then we give them credit for, as they are more relatable and incur more self reflection. When you watch a Captain Falcon who plays differently than you, and less effectively as a result, you notice how far you've come and you want to help that player learn what you have. That's where we the community steps in and helps out, resulting in a stronger competitive scene. That's why I'm doing these sorts of videos to begin with. :)

There's also an element of risky play evident in friendlies that you don't get in tournament matches, and that's where playstyles are made and developed. You have to encourage players to make mistakes and not criticize or insult them for playing suboptimally, because there's a good chance they're trying something new out or finding a flow with the character that works for them. There's a difference between using a character incorrectly and using fundamental mechanics incorrectly.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I get what you're saying, but let's just say that's not the level of play that I'm used to seeing in this thread. And of course we should help the newbie players, that's why this board exists. Sorry for my outburst.

Eriol-kun

Smash Rookie
NNID
Eriolkun
3DS FC
0619-3946-4344
I guess it's a bit offtopic but, what's a good capture card for the WiiU? I might consider streaming/recording because it will probably help me to get criticism on my plays and suggestions to improve. I wanna show you my moves with quality

ken123103

Smash Rookie
The tournament footage i posted earlier got uploaded to Youtube! Enjoy! Feedback anyone?

EDIT: added more!

Last edited:

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Here's some goodies from a tournament I went to 2 days ago. Lots of high level battles were had, hope you enjoy!
Round 1 Vs NG Magmar's Ness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dRyvYvC5Os&list=UUFJ48g9BcsNm8P7nWsz-97Q&index=13
Round 2 Vs Teejay's Fox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRzxjnMB8ak&list=UUFJ48g9BcsNm8P7nWsz-97Q&index=11
Winner's Finals against Neos's Rosaluma: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKgFH-AmYhA&index=1&list=UUFJ48g9BcsNm8P7nWsz-97Q
Grand Finals against Scatt's Megaman and Meta Knight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqWk0WbQSew&list=UUFJ48g9BcsNm8P7nWsz-97Q

If you have any advice for my Falcon, I'd love to hear it!

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Another match of the same Captain Falcon as before vs the same Greninja (where Captain Falcon had trouble against the better player - the greninja - but learning is important! :) )

Friendlies with strangers are very interesting, it's great seeing two strangers at different levels go up against each other and see them adapt as they continue fighting and learning how to deal with a character, playstyle, tactic, and/or strategy. You get a lot of interesting dynamics, and it's always unpredictable.

Last edited:

ken123103

Smash Rookie
Here's some goodies from a tournament I went to 2 days ago. Lots of high level battles were had, hope you enjoy!
Round 1 Vs NG Magmar's Ness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dRyvYvC5Os&list=UUFJ48g9BcsNm8P7nWsz-97Q&index=13
Round 2 Vs Teejay's Fox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRzxjnMB8ak&list=UUFJ48g9BcsNm8P7nWsz-97Q&index=11
Winner's Finals against Neos's Rosaluma: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKgFH-AmYhA&index=1&list=UUFJ48g9BcsNm8P7nWsz-97Q
Grand Finals against Scatt's Megaman and Meta Knight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqWk0WbQSew&list=UUFJ48g9BcsNm8P7nWsz-97Q

If you have any advice for my Falcon, I'd love to hear it!

Dude, your movement is so sick. I've been trying to learn foxtrotting/dash dancing back and forth but I can't get it consistently. Are there any tricks that I should know about or is it just lots of practice?

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
@ -Fatality-
Great gameplay! Just curious.... Do you play with tap jump off or on?
I play with Tap jump off.

Dude, your movement is so sick. I've been trying to learn foxtrotting/dash dancing back and forth but I can't get it consistently. Are there any tricks that I should know about or is it just lots of practice?
Lots of practice.

Here's some slightly older vids of me Vs Player-1's Diddy Kong from a recent tournament, any advice you guys give me would be appreciated, since learning the Diddy matchup is of paramount importance.
Winner's Finals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGc3ZoVKfws&list=UUjI60POez1Z6M9XhTdJ7XlQ
Grand Finals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8_7_oCS7XM&index=1&list=UUjI60POez1Z6M9XhTdJ7XlQ

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys! The Stockholm Brawlers hosted a small local tournament last weekend and the matches just got uploaded! Unfortuantly I only have 3 of my Falcon matches since I'm too hasty in the result screen and forget to save (I just want to get to the next match!). But here's the Grand Finals best of five set against a close friend of mine who mains Greninja.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZHa-_VqHis

Figure this can be good to look at for people who'd like to study Greninja. And any feedback on my Falcon play would be dearly appreciated. What I can work on, habits perhaps I didn't spot, etc.

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
is this your video? im putting together a montage for disrespectful falcon plays that's like 90% done and i'd love to include this clip if you could send it to me somehow (maybe dropbox). i could also mention you in the credits with your gamer tag if you want.

edit: speaking of which is there a way to send replay data? i have a capture card that ive been using.

Last edited:

♫ Zura ♫

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KatsuraRapYo
3DS FC
4914-3426-2583
is this your video? im putting together a montage for disrespectful falcon plays that's like 90% done and i'd love to include this clip if you could send it to me somehow (maybe dropbox). i could also mention you in the credits with your gamer tag if you want.

edit: speaking of which is there a way to send replay data? i have a capture card that ive been using.
Yes this is my video, I used my phone to record it, no capture card ;_;.
But yeah man you can use it, I have no problem, just include my Tag on it and everything.
I've never shared a vid before, how do I go on about to give that to you?

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
Yes this is my video, I used my phone to record it, no capture card ;_;.
But yeah man you can use it, I have no problem, just include my Tag on it and everything.
I've never shared a vid before, how do I go on about to give that to you?
i'll continue convo via pm so we dont clog the thread

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Yo!

I had my friend record and send me the replays of some of my bracket matches at Smash Intensifies ( the first Montreal major for Sm4sh, these are probably the only recorded matches from it on Youtube, since the stream **** ) from his WiiU. I got out of my pool in first place but then proceeded to only win one match in brackets. : (

Winners: (coughing courtesy of my ill friend!)
Techiyo (Megaman / Lucina) VS Dai (Captain Falcon) - 1
Techiyo (Megaman / Lucina) VS Dai (Captain Falcon) - 2
(Musta forgotten to record the third match, which he won)

Losers:
Smash Intensifies - Smash WiiU - TOJoe (Fox) VS Dai (Captain Falcon) - 1
Smash Intensifies - Smash WiiU - TOJoe (Fox) VS Dai (Captain Falcon) - 2

Got absolutely wrecked by TOJoe. Tips appreciated!

Last edited:

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hey guys! i've started up a little web series that's been going on for a little while now, and i'm finally doing some falcon videos.

i haven't really lurked this subforum yet but yes i am maining falcon right now and he is really awesome. i hope my vids contribute something unique and special to the falcon boards!

Raidex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raaidex
Short clip I got against a random online guy

nothing special, he's just reeeaaally predictable lol

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Short clip I got against a random online guy

nothing special, he's just reeeaaally predictable lol
Zero to death strings against predictable opponents are always impressive in my book, just because you earn massive style points. Specially in a ditto! :D

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Vids of me from a tournament last friday, would appreciate any advice you can give me.
Winner's Semis vs TheReflexWonder's Jiggs and Wario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyaHvHRjQYc
Loser's Quarters vs Scatt's Mega Man and Meta Knight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e5HAJ_VMYA
Loser's Semis vs Neos's Rosaluma: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv-GTandu7c
Loser's Finals vs UDLR Gabriel's Diddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b0khsm0WiM
Grand Finals against TheReflexWonder's Jiggs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZqyxq56p9U

Or, if you want to just see a cool combo, skip to 3:50 of Loser's Finals. :)

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
That's a pretty amazing Falcon, the only thing I think you're missing is more punish KOs with raptor boost. Only punish though, too risky otherwise which you likely very well know.

Really glad to see that uair to Knee being put to use vs Diddy, nice combo as well. Falcon can improvise a lot which you showcased there.

Raidex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Raaidex
thanks BigLord, I actually won a tournament about a week ago and a friend said he was recording a few matches of grand finals. still waiting on him to upload them, I'll let you know

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, everyone I was out for a bit. Got sick, and had work related issues. But I'm back and I will be updating this thread with all the videos this week, since is Christmas week. Plus, I finally got a wii u, and I have videos from tournaments I enter. Expect tons of updates.

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Sorry, everyone I was out for a bit. Got sick, and had work related issues. But I'm back and I will be updating this thread with all the videos this week, since is Christmas week. Plus, I finally got a wii u, and I have videos from tournaments I enter. Expect tons of updates.
Most excellent, welcome back!

Top Bottom