• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

MarioBrother2

Smash Cadet
Great job!

Great job Youko. I have listened to your podcast since Week 1, and it's amazing. I have on request: When Brawl comes out for Japanese, I want to be listening to SMYN but I don't want any spoilers if you guys hear any thing.If you don't care, it's OK(which will probaly happen).Again, great job on the podcast.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
...Yeah...considering that SamuraiPanda and I are big proponents are finding out whatever we can about the game, we'll probably want to talk about WHATEVER'S out there. So I cannot guarantee a spoiler-free podcast in the LEAST, sorry.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
...Yeah...considering that SamuraiPanda and I are big proponents are finding out whatever we can about the game, we'll probably want to talk about WHATEVER'S out there. So I cannot guarantee a spoiler-free podcast in the LEAST, sorry.
Not to mention, the podcast would also lose a large chunk of its mainstream audience as well. I personally would disdain a spoiler-free podcast. To me, that defeats the whole purpose of even having the podcast.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I'll probably be off the Internet by that time. But...I don't know if I will be able to resist!

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Erm the podcast is cut off in the 1 hour 7min? I couldn't hear samurai panda's theory. Can someone fix this?

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
at the end of the episode. very great.

Buzz, i knew you'd be great. you helped the podcast flow and it never got dull. it was cool to have sugarpoultry in a few points, and, i don't mean to offend, but your wife sounds hot! Nice!

so overall, roundtable was great. now, i wouldn't of given it that low of a score because i actually got a lot out of Friday's update, but it was great, as always

i liked rumor central, even though not much was given. but Buzz, i found a few points to go against SP, but i won't post it here, since he'll probably make a thread about it, and i'll argue there. so great

only complaint...Youko, how could you forget that it was ME that challenged you to the giggidy thing? i hope you rectify that mistake and claim in here that it was me who challenged you!

didn't listen to the viewpoint. sorry, but you were DULL! very mono-tone sounding, and it was really short, so didn't listen

so yes, then the easter egg. really, not much to say, except i actually do know what they say when the creators' heads pop in (big Mortal Kombat fan here). they say "Toasty"

but yes, overall the podcast was great! i might actually try again to be on the next Roundtable trial, but it depends. my finals are actually done, but i may leave for a week or two. but when you leave Youko, you guys are still more than welcome to add me in for the Roundtable, since i'll have a ton of free time til January *wink wink*

EDIT: off-topic, i know, but sugarpoultry, fellow Zelda fan (well, fanatic would be a better word) right here! but funny story. i have a friend who is just like Buzz. I've beaten TP twice since i got it Nov. 19 of last year. my friend, who lives in Idaho, hasn't beaten it once! last i saw, he just beat the 3rd TEMPLE!! yeah, i don't know his deal. hey sugarpoultry, if you're ever south of Pocatello, and you find my friend Xevelous (he actually does have an account here), slap some sense into him, will ya?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Erm the podcast is cut off in the 1 hour 7min? I couldn't hear samurai panda's theory. Can someone fix this?
You should either download the file again (meaning your file corrupted partway through) or check your audio player (meaning your program just bugged out before getting to that part). I downloaded the file, and it worked just fine. Is anyone else having trouble?

Cless

Smash Champion
No, the whole thing worked fine for me.

I want Samurai Panda to put up his thread so that I can put my poorly constructed reasoning against his theory in it, and I still want to play him in JUS.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
...Crap. I was having a total brainfart then, and it was before the actual podcast too. My sincerest apologies, Colbusman. You pwn all speedy Quagmires.

RDK

Smash Hero
So from what I'm hearing, there were more than 3 people on the Roundtable? It's still downloading, so I haven't had a chance to listen to it.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
After having a thumbs down to Samurai not knowing the 23 reference, I had a thumbs up to him saying Geno will be in, but quickly turned it back down when I heard the screen was the starting roster :( Buzz was really good throughout the episode, but I think he lacked a bit on his counter argument and could have had a few better points. Good episode, as usual.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
After having a thumbs down to Samurai not knowing the 23 reference, I had a thumbs up to him saying Geno will be in, but quickly turned it back down when I heard the screen was the starting roster :( Buzz was really good throughout the episode, but I think he lacked a bit on his counter argument and could have had a few better points. Good episode, as usual.
Yup. Buzz really sucked. Buzz really wasn't expecting such a huge and well thought out theory. :(

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Yup. Buzz really sucked. Buzz really wasn't expecting such a huge and well thought out theory. :(
Well, Panda did actually have a good argument for his thoughts.

Shame on sugarpulty for being a hardcore Zelda fan and not having any idea that Y. Link is 10-11 years old.

Thumbs down #18 goes to the Brawl viewpoint. I thought it was very yawn.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Well, he's not 6 or 7 I know. I don't even know if it's confirmed or not, but since OoT, the common acceptance of ages by fans is 10, and 17 of the ages between the Links.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Ha! And I was 10 when Ocarina of Time came out. What a coincidence. Sadly, I didn't beat it until I was about 17 (when it came out on Gamecube).

Cless

Smash Champion
What? That means that you didn't have to suffer through the Water Temple. I'm am almost positive that that temple was hard only because I was a wee lad when I played it.

Smash Ace
A Rebuttal to the Conspiracy Theoracy

I am convinced that the roster shown may be the starting roster, but not that it is the starting roster. To do that, you have to argue first that it is reasonable for it to be the starting roster, which SamuraiPanda did very well, and also that it is unreasonable for it to not be the starting roster. I'm using italics way too much, so I'll try to stop.

I don't think that we have enough information to make a guess as to whether we start with the shown characters.

The only argument that it must be the starting roster (rather than that it may be it) that I recall was that someone watching Brawl news casually may not be aware of the E for All demo, so they would naturally assume that the shown bunch of characters are starters. If they aren't, they would think "WTF? I thought that I could play as Sonic right from the start :urg:" First, I don't think that Sakurai would necessarily care. His updates haven't been exactly crystal clear; a few of them ("up until now") have caused a great deal of confusion. Additionally, casual people who didn't pay any attention to E for All probably aren't interested in analyzing each DOJO update to see what little tidbits of information have been leaked. We are, and I would bet that he is aware of it. It would follow, then, that the little details that we love so much to over-analyze are aimed towards us.

As far as I remember, everything else argued that it was a reasonable starting roster, but not that any other starting roster was unreasonable. Correct me if I missed something.

It's reasonable that Sakurai didn't want to show the starting roster, and if that's the case what would he put up? The E for All roster, of course; using anything else would be odd. What did he put up? The E for All roster. No contradiction there; this theory is sound too.

Both are reasonable, so we cannot say that one is probably true. QED.

I have a couple (minor) points that go against the Conspiracy Theoracy relating to Subspace Emissary. These aren't exactly argument-breakers, but they are interesting.

First, you can play as either Mario or Kirby in that beginning battle. We don't know (as far as I am aware) beyond reasonable doubt that this is the beginning of SE, but it looks likely (Sakurai said that Petey Piranha is the first boss). Perhaps you unlock Kirby afterwards whether or not you choose to play as him. See this video, and my screenshot.

Second, Peach and Zelda appear to have somewhat interchangeable roles, depending on which one you save. I would find it odd if one was hidden and the other not, assuming that they are not both unlocked before the first boss.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I'm listening to the episode again, and I could completely relate to you, Youko. I go to sleep every night saying "It's gonna be an item, assist trophy or Sonic's Final Smash." When I'm right, I'm all "H_lls yeah!" (even though I'm crying on the inside). However, when I'm wrong...we usually get something like "Pokemon from previous installments" or the December 3rd update >.>

RDK

Smash Hero
@2.72

What you guys have to remember is that Sakurai said himself that he was going to reveal all of the characters because the surprise would be ruined by internet and online anyway. So right now, we can only speculate as to what the real roster is. I'm guessing it's the one he has set up already, plus characters that haven't been revealed yet.

However, the odd absence of Kirby doesn't sit right with me. I don't think Sakurai would make him an unlockable, so that theory doesn't really work either.

Maybe they didn't put some of the known characters in the demo because they're still working on them. IDK.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Well, he did say he would reveal the secrets, but he didn't say when. Based on SamuraiPanda's translations, it looked like he was hinting at doing it after the release: "like smashfist."

Playat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Playat
3DS FC
0473-7807-1815
This is a very good podcast episode. I think SamuraiPanda's conspiracy theory on the starting roster that was shown on one of the updates and it does makes sense.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
@2.72

What you guys have to remember is that Sakurai said himself that he was going to reveal all of the characters because the surprise would be ruined by internet and online anyway. So right now, we can only speculate as to what the real roster is. I'm guessing it's the one he has set up already, plus characters that haven't been revealed yet.

However, the odd absence of Kirby doesn't sit right with me. I don't think Sakurai would make him an unlockable, so that theory doesn't really work either.

Maybe they didn't put some of the known characters in the demo because they're still working on them. IDK.

-Zelda couldn't be in because they wouldn't reveal anything with Sheik ebing in or not being in.
-Snake wouldn't be in because I don't think they were doing 3rd party charcters in the demo, but threw Sonic in, as stated on the Dojo, as a way to make up for the delay.
-Lucas probably wasn't in because he may have a Ness Pallete swap shirt/hair, and at the time of E for All, it wasn't revealed yet that Ness was out.
-Pokemon Trainer just seems liek he would stand out a bit, so they probably didn't want to throw him in yet.
- Kirby: ????? Maybe soemthing with his hats or something?

Those are just my quick thoughts.

Boofer

Smash Ace
I think SamuraiPanda's conspiracy theory on the starting roster that was shown on one of the updates and it does makes sense.
DON'T SAY THAT! IT IS NOT SO!

LOL, but yeah, he actually does pose a decent argument, which is why this will make for an interesting discussion once he gets time to make a thread.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
I actually agree about hoping that Samurai is wrong, but not about what characters are there, but about the format. Call me a freak, but I'd prefer an organized screen like they had in Melee, rather than random characters place in unusual slots. I reckon I'll get used to it, but it's just one of those little things that annoys me. I guess I'm too used to the placement of all the characters from Melee and Smash 64.

Boofer

Smash Ace
I actually agree about hoping that Samurai is wrong, but not about what characters are there, but about the format. Call me a freak, but I'd prefer an organized screen like they had in Melee, rather than random characters place in unusual slots. I reckon I'll get used to it, but it's just one of those little things that annoys me. I guess I'm too used to the placement of all the characters from Melee and Smash 64.
Most likely it IS going to be organized. This was one of my arguments against Panda. Honestly, it's not really a great argument because a "conspiracy theoracy" supporter could say that those will be the starters but the order will be different.

But still, if you actually believe that we have the exact starting character select screen, I'd say that the organization bit really goes against that theory.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
Most likely it IS going to be organized. This was one of my arguments against Panda. Honestly, it's not really a great argument because a "conspiracy theoracy" supporter could say that those will be the starters but the order will be different.

But still, if you actually believe that we have the exact starting character select screen, I'd say that the organization bit really goes against that theory.
Yeah for some reason it just doesn't sit right with me, seeing Bowser way down on the bottom, Diddy in the second screen rather than next to Donkey Kong, etc. The placement just irks me for some reason. It probably has to do with me always trying to be organized.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Whoops. I just checked melee's select screen before you unlock secret characters. I just noticed that initially, Pikachu was placed in between Mario and Bowser. WTF? Even though that was the only thing that seemed to be out of order, I'm gonna have to say that organization isn't a very good argument when it comes to the starting roster.

Cless

Smash Champion
I'm still holding onto my terrible argument, but I really wouldn't mind it if that was the starting roster. I was gonna run through SE when I got the game anyway.

Top Bottom