• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Dang, I was hoping I could explian some of the Pikmen misconceptions but I guess some of you guys already got to it. =P

Also, I have some ideas brewing on how SSE will play. If you're interested just PM or something.

Also also, I'm relatively sure that today's Challenge mode update is a throwback to Kirby Air Ride. Air Ride had a Challange mode that worked very similar to this one.

BlackKnight76

Smash Apprentice
I played the first Pikmin all the way through (havent tried the sequel yet unfortunately, should though) and I do not remember the flower indicating health, only potency. And yes, this was brought on by the lifespan of the pikmin. Furthermore, I do not think the pikmin will merely expire, they will probably have hitpoints and will be easily killed by an opponent, although fighting 6 of them will probably suck unless you have some sort of AoE attack.

I see Olimar being a very effective damage dealer, but seems like he may have problems with killing moves, much like metaknight, though we can not really tell how effective these pikmin-fueled smash attacks really are unless M-Dawg does an impromptu A-attack update or when the game comes out.

courte

Smash Lord
i find it interesting that you guys throw a warning in front of your roster saying don't make fun of naysayers, saying this is fun speculation--then state it as universal fact each CLONE character's chances are 0% i.e. doc roy pichu... just the comment of the week for me :chuckle:

SurooshX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SurooshX
I'm surprised NO ONE noticed that the Fighting Alloy Team is based off of Meteos, one of Sakurai's other creations.

Froilen

Smash Apprentice
Youko, Why are you so pesimist aboute the ruster? ONLY [CAPS]36[/CAPS] character?!?! they toke aboute 2 years of develoment and only added 10 more characters?(and SE, stikers, FS, miselanius Wi-Fi play, stages, AT...)

pesimists roster>leaks rosters<mind gamnes<WTF characters>SP pseudo roster>Youko Roster<Rooster:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

courte

Smash Lord
I'm surprised NO ONE noticed that the Fighting Alloy Team is based off of Meteos, one of Sakurai's other creations.
really now the whole alloy team?? i think most people recognized the horns on yellow as a tribute to the geolytes, and thus made a topic on it, but to say NO ONE is a pretty big statement

SurooshX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SurooshX
*oh...well I'm glad SOMEONE noticed, lol.

Youko, Why are you so pesimist aboute the ruster? ONLY [CAPS]36[/CAPS] character?!?! they toke aboute 2 years of develoment and only added 10 more characters?(and SE, stikers, FS, miselanius Wi-Fi play, stages, AT...)

pesimists roster>leaks rosters<mind gamnes<WTF characters>SP pseudo roster>Youko Roster<Rooster:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:
*Your spelling is atrocious...hehe.

*And as for the color pedals, red, blue, and yellow Pikmin have white ones, while white and purple are pink. They're like that just because they are, they mean nothing.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Nate Bihldorff is the primary localizer, if you will for Nintendo of America. He is the man responsible for translating the updates on the American DOJO.

grud315

Smash Cadet
FACTS ABOUT PIKMIN - I hAVE PLAYED BOTH GAMES:

The red pikmin was very strong, and when an enemy used a fire breath move, they would remain alive.

The yellow one would fly farther becuase of his flappy ears, liek gliders. They were immune to electricity, and they also could utilize bomb rocks, little exploding rocks found in the world.

The blue ones were very strong, and, THEY COULD SWIM. If any Pikmin was about to drown, they would be the lifeguards.

The purple one was extremely powerful, like 10 smaller ones.

The white pikmin was extremely weak in terms of health, in fact, they would be SACRIFICED in thegame! If an enemy at one, they would be posisoned, and over time, the enemy would die.

Some Pikmin have different color tops, beucase of a special nectar found in teh game. If the Pikmin eat nectar, their petals trun yellow, and they run MUCH faster.

Del Money

Smash Champion
Nate Bihldorff is the primary localizer, if you will for Nintendo of America. He is the man responsible for translating the updates on the American DOJO.
Oh ok. I'm not sure if anyone else had noticed, but are the UK English DOJO updates a word-for-word match with the American English? I never thought to pay attention, but I'd assume that they were.

Also, I think it kinda sucks that leak validation has become the main focus of discussion on these boards as of lately. I know there's no real alternative and that it pretty much is the hot topic this close to release, but I honestly had more fun many months ago engaging in wild (but not too absurd) speculation only to have Sakurai prove me wrong in a later update. Oh well, I'm a patient person and we've only got like 10 days at the most left before we essentially know everything. Only thing I want kept secret for me is the Subspace Emissary story so I'll basically have to detach myself from SWF after release. As for the roster, that need not be kept from me.

I didn't realize that Ep 28 was over 2 hours long. I only listened to like 30-40 minutes of it before falling asleep so I guess I'll get to the rest of it right now.

Smash Ace
About the idea of creating two separate “general discussion” rooms for Brawl, at 2:27:10 in Episode 28:

I like the idea in principle, but I think that the proposed names (competitive/casual) would cause serious issues. As everyone has noticed, the words “competitive” and “casual” are very polarized right now. I’ve seen way too many posts yelling at people on the grounds that they only care about winning and fairness but not having fun, and conversely a fair number of people calling others n00bs after very well thought-out posts advocating for the change (or removal) of an advanced technique.

The names also make it sound like you’re segregating the boards into a “casual people only” and a “competitive people only” area. You clearly aren’t, from the descriptions: new ways to edgeguard with items would go on the gameplay-oriented board (the competitive one), despite the fact that, assuming items are not allowed in tournaments, mostly casual players would be interested in it. On the other hand, threads about fun ways to suicide or your most dramatic kill are of interest to almost everyone, but would be on the casual board. This wouldn’t be an issue, except that even otherwise-reasonable people appear to behave insanely when faced with the two C-words. I can PM you (KiKi) with examples if you wish, but it’s not really necessary and posting them hear would be completely inappropriate.

If other names are used (say "Brawl Gameplay" and "Brawl Chat," although the latter still needs work), I'd be fine with the diea. It would be a useful filter. I’m normally interested in only one of the two types of threads, depending on my mood, so I find the distinction helpful.

DISCLAIMER: Please, please, please do not turn this into a C-word thread because of my post. I would feel very guilty. I’m also not saying that everyone behaves irrationally around these terms, or that everyone fits neatly into a “competitive” or “casual” category.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
FACTS ABOUT PIKMIN - I hAVE PLAYED BOTH GAMES:

The red pikmin was very strong, and when an enemy used a fire breath move, they would remain alive.

The yellow one would fly farther becuase of his flappy ears, liek gliders. They were immune to electricity, and they also could utilize bomb rocks, little exploding rocks found in the world.

The blue ones were very strong, and, THEY COULD SWIM. If any Pikmin was about to drown, they would be the lifeguards.

The purple one was extremely powerful, like 10 smaller ones.

The white pikmin was extremely weak in terms of health, in fact, they would be SACRIFICED in thegame! If an enemy at one, they would be posisoned, and over time, the enemy would die.

Some Pikmin have different color tops, beucase of a special nectar found in teh game. If the Pikmin eat nectar, their petals trun yellow, and they run MUCH faster.
some of this is true, some is a little exaggerated, and part is just untrue.

youko, i made a minute long recording. do you want it, or just want to mention it on your own?

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
Again with the Ness skepticism... =/

I do believe Ness will be in SSBB. Saying that Ness is out because of Lucas' moveset is not very safe. Take into consideration that Ness' moveset was based on Paula. Ness' moveset for Brawl will be redone to fit with his original series characteristics; Ness can be redone in SSBB, because Lucas has a very SSB-Ness moveset. You may be asking, "Why redo Ness's borrowed moveset to give Lucas a semi-borrowed moveset?" Simply, because Lucas is cooler than Paula. Additionally, giving Ness a not-completely-faithful moveset would be acceptable. The movesets and attacks etc of all of the EarthBound/Mother characters are varied and diverse, and this second unfaithfulness of Ness' moveset could be very beneficial to SSB.

The greatest evidence against an SSBB-Ness is the "up until now" quote. But, Sakurai did say "Is it possible he can surpass even Ness?!" How the hell are we supposed to find the answer if Ness is not even in Brawl? Hmm... I do not know.

On a similar point: I do main Ness. I do love Ness. Simna, and all other Ness enthusiasts, do not violently attack me (and do not weep) when I say "I would not have minded if Ness was removed." Uhh... I would not have minded if Ness was removed, simply because Lucas is so similar.

^_^

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I know that guest spots are going to become scarcer from now on, so I figure I should throw my hat in for a shot at the Roundtable sooner than later.

I've been a massive fan of Smash ever since I saw SSB64 advertised in Nintendo Power. I've played Smash 64 to death, and Melee almost as much. I eagerly look forward to Brawl and read every update punctually moments after I wake up every morning. If this helps at all, my major is Mass Communications, though I'm admittedly taking my first class on the subject this semester.

I definitely believe I could provide a mature and (hopefully) entertaining insight on the week that was Smash.

Thanks a lot for considering all the applicants,

BraveDave88

2nd Stamp

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I know that guest spots are going to become scarcer from now on, so I figure I should throw my hat in for a shot at the Roundtable sooner than later.

I've been a massive fan of Smash ever since I saw SSB64 advertised in Nintendo Power. I've played Smash 64 to death, and Melee almost as much. I eagerly look forward to Brawl and read every update punctually moments after I wake up every morning. If this helps at all, my major is Mass Communications, though I'm admittedly taking my first class on the subject this semester.

I definitely believe I could provide a mature and (hopefully) entertaining insight on the week that was Smash.

Thanks a lot for considering all the applicants,

BraveDave88
I acknowledge this guy.

Blindman

Smash Journeyman
The fake OC, because I'm nothing like them.
Ugh. We need another pep talk Youko!

Two good things I can think of:

1) I don't care about spoilers anymore. 1 month+ is too long to avoid, so I don't care anymore.

2) I think that months along the road, I'll realize I was glad they delayed it. Just to make it that much better like adding Female PT and Zamus at the start. There's no excuse now.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
I think that months along the road, I'll realize I was glad they delayed it. Just to make it that much better like adding Female PT and Zamus at the start. There's no excuse now.
Or Knuckles and Megaman?

I'm just saying that I agree with Panda on the Knuckles front.

But seriously I'm pretty sure the delay has something to do with WFC, and perhaps inability to get it to work. A week delay in Japan, if it is the final delay, would not come so quick before the date and be for such a short period of time if it weren't absolutely crucial (not to mention not reparable with a firmware update) and absolutely game-breaking.

Either that or they invited Captain Jack to beta-test and he found a sploit that made wavedashing look like a neutral B.

courte

Smash Lord
i can see how this is a problem for you youko, the day after you make a close a thread regarding the big topic... i hope no one accuses you of jinxing it

Sariku

Smash Master
Guys, stop talking about the delay. It is NOT delayed a month. It is delayed a week. You forget, Japan is where this game is heading first, so a month for here is probably from shipping the game discs or such.

I agree, this is probably gamebreaking. They already have commercials in Japan and people are already playing through a close-to-final-version of the game. What it was, who knows (Lulz at the Captain Jack part).

Only Youko and I can be pissed off. Youko, as he just has that much more work to do. Why me though? WELL, MARCH 9TH IS MY BIRTHDAY. THAT IS SOOO WRONG. I will have to share the game with my friends now, AND I can't play with Sonic. So unless it's your birthday, or you are doing a GOOD PODCAST on this subject, just get over it.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
to the pikmin flower theory...

Flower Color=Health indicator??
Judging from what you guys said about olimar and pikmin update. You guys really need to play pikmin.

Red, White, and Blue have white flowers (there is no blue flowers thats just the shadowing)

purple, white are New Dungeon pikmin from pikmin two so they have different traits and abilities from the original pikmin

Flower don't mean pikmin life-span it's just represents their strenght

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
Only Youko and I can be pissed off. Youko, as he just has that much more work to do. Why me though? WELL, MARCH 9TH IS MY BIRTHDAY. THAT IS SOOO WRONG. I will have to share the game with my friends now, AND I can't play with Sonic. So unless it's your birthday, or you are doing a GOOD PODCAST on this subject, just get over it.[/CENTER]
Well, my birthday is March 8, yet I'm not angry at all. Maybe because I feel it was too funny or I'm patient. Definitly the second one I believe.

Anyway, this gives me more time to work on my Melee game, and Sariku is right. we shouldn't complain. Infact, we should be grateful that it wasn't just plain canceled, because you all would know that would really piss ya off.

Think of it this way. extended time = more chances for confirmed characters.

Blindman

Smash Journeyman
Guys, stop talking about the delay. It is NOT delayed a month. It is delayed a week. You forget, Japan is where this game is heading first, so a month for here is probably from shipping the game discs or such.

I agree, this is probably gamebreaking. They already have commercials in Japan and people are already playing through a close-to-final-version of the game. What it was, who knows (Lulz at the Captain Jack part).

Only Youko and I can be pissed off. Youko, as he just has that much more work to do. Why me though? WELL, MARCH 9TH IS MY BIRTHDAY. THAT IS SOOO WRONG. I will have to share the game with my friends now, AND I can't play with Sonic. So unless it's your birthday, or you are doing a GOOD PODCAST on this subject, just get over it.
I just hope he does keep up with them. I feel like it's the only thing holding me over cuz the DOJO isn't giving us anything (Pikmin took 2.5 months). Also, I know someone who's coming home from Iraq just before the middle of February. I feel bad for him cuz Smash was one of his favorite games and he'll probably have to go back before March again, so don't give us that "entitled to be angry" crap.

Egret

Smash Journeyman

So unless it's your birthday, or you are doing a GOOD PODCAST on this subject, just get over it.
I lol'd

I can't really relate to people living in North America since I won't be playing the game till I get back in June anyway but I'd say they certainly have a right to be annoyed.

Blindman

Smash Journeyman
Well this gives us a chance to empathize with Europe.

The thing I wonder is if the whole of Smashdom will forever resent the Distant Planet stage?
We did that in December. Now's our time to complain. XD

Besides, this means it'll most likely be further "delayed" (realeased later than it as supposed to be originally for you picky people) in Europe, sadly.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Sometimes it feels like I'm working on a podcast for a cursed game. Rawr.

Top Bottom