• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SHOW ME YOUR NEWS! - Gaming News PODCAST (Ep. 76 OUT!, New WEBSITE and iTunes!)

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Only out of necessity, I promise. Every mod that had to close a single one of those threads is sick of it.
It scared the **** out of me. BUT IT WAS NEEDED. THANK YOU YOUKO.

Too bad you guys recorded right before this crap ton of information was released :p

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
I have to be at the tournament by noon tomorrow. So sometime before then.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Man, Youko you scared the hell out of me with that new sticky. Maybe add a "not" in there somewhere and spare people the heart attacks.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Podcast is ready for you to download, cuz you guys are awesome. And I needed to get my butt moving on it anyway. So yeah, EPISODE 28 BLOGGED! Check it out on Smash News (formerly known as the Smash Blog)!

Ytoabn08

Smash Cadet
Same here, I didn't get into the podcast when there were characters coming out. I'll be interested to see their analysis of Olimar as a character.

turboether

Smash Cadet
first note for you guys doing the cast:

play pikmin 2 ;)

second note, good show.

alot of the discussion on olimar made me post on this though, mostly because you pretty much all admitted to not playing pikmin at all (for shame :p)

most important is the way olimar uses pikmin and how they act independently from him when thrown. considering all the fluff attached to the abilities and basic carbon copy of his moves from the pikmin games, i see no reason why the pikmin themselves should act differently.

when thrown, if a pikmin misses its target, it will sit on the ground in a neutral state. it wont even defend itself if attacked. the same thing happens if a pikmin is 'shaken off' an enemy. this will probably happen in brawl, too: if you miss, your pikmin will be prone, and when pikmin are 'shaken' or fall off a character after a set damage (im leaning toward the former, though the latter is just as likely) they will also become prone. the purple pikmin, as it 'slams into enemies' rather than latches, will probably deal heavy damage and knockback and simply bounce off and become prone, as well.

this is definitely where the pikmin will be attackable and able to be killed by opponents. i doubt they will be attackable when following olimar, but when prone they are defenseless. they can probably take damage when attacking an opponent, whose attacks will eventually shake them off into a prone state (or possibly kill them, which is just as likely). this leads to the durability of pikmin: it could pertain to how much damage they can take when prone before dying, or it could mean the amount of damage they can sustain while attached to an opponent before being shaken off or killed. the immunities are in most part fluff from the game, but the red pikmin will clearly be immune to fire based damage (marios fireball, bowsers fire breath, fire flower item, etc etc).

the pikmin callback special will, obviously, wake the prone pikmin and return them to formation behind you. the whistle has a set range however (see the glowy lights?), so if there are no prone pikmin in its radius, this is probably when the switch part of the move occurs. the whistle is a very fast move in the pikmin games, you are able to use it over and over in a short amount of time. i believe the whistle will be usable at the same sort of speed as the plucking (which seems pretty fast from the screenies). also note, that the whistle can call back pikmin that are attacking enemies as well, returning them to formation. timing will be a good skill to have when playing olimar, as shaken off 'prone' pikmin are open to attack, but called back pikmin may be immune to damage.

pikmin with flowers and buds in the pikmin games become faster and stronger. leaf pikmin move and attack slowly, while flower pikmin move and attack faster. i believe, in this case, that it will be a big part of olimars game to try to conserve pikmin as much as possible. this would mean alot of quick and frantic throwing and recalling, which will mean he'd need to stick pretty close to his opponents, so they dont kill off his more powerful pikmin and have him need to replace them with weaker and slower leaf pikmin all the time. this could be troublesome because olimar is bound to be super-light, and probably wont be able to take much punishment at all himself, so keeping pikmin between you and your opponent seems a big part of his game.

itll probably end up being canon to damage the enemy enough with your smaller pikmin and finish them off by throwing a purple pikmin, which id assume is olimars equivalent of a smash attack. olimar, on his own, only has a headbutt move in the pikmin games. its silly to assume this will be the only A attack he has, of course, but i dont believe he will be a character focused too much on his standard attacks, as he is, by background, incredibly weak.

anyway, thats the 'get to know your pikmin' lecture out of the way. all pretty simple stuff, obvious to people who have played pikmin. speculate away, keep up the good work.

Chi's Finest

Smash Lord
Podcast should hopefully be out tomorrow morning, Eastern Time Zone, due to my tournament attendance. Hopefully I get to meet a couple fans there, so w00t!
"Morning Eastern Time" Good thing you said that cause I would have thought you meant morning in Central Time. :p

I'll get to putting the new episode on BC in a little bit.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
Yeah, well, as opposed to tomorrow morning, GMT +0. SMYN is a world-wide 'cast, after all! :)

Cyberlink420

Smash Ace
NNID
cyberlink420
3DS FC
1461-6271-9006
SHAME ON YOU BOTH FOR NOT PLAYING PIKMIN 1 OR 2!!!

Seriously, you can probably find the games for only $20 or less nowadays. Go look for it; you won't regret it.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
Lol how come you guys didnt realize that all the pikmin died at the same time in the pic because OLIMAR died and when he dies they all die.

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
I would agree with alot of them but i would've added

Micaiah
Demiru
Hero/Heroine from Magical Starsign
Pokey Minch
Jody Summers
and Bomberman, so happy he was on someone's list

fantasyfreak999

Smash Rookie
I've played Pikmin before, and the purple flowers are just unique to the white and purple Pikmin. I think the bluish flower in the one screenshot is just a shadow effect. Also, the pikmin didn't have a lifespan in the games. The various stages of bloom only determined their strength, leaf being the weakest, then bud, then finally flower. Now, if the stage of bloom is random, that means that you have a possibility of plucking one of 15 types of Pikmin, the 5 colors in 3 stages of bloom.

Cless

Smash Champion
I've played Pikmin before, and the purple flowers are just unique to the white and purple Pikmin. I think the bluish flower in the one screenshot is just a shadow effect. Also, the pikmin didn't have a lifespan in the games. The various stages of bloom only determined their strength, leaf being the weakest, then bud, then finally flower. Now, if the stage of bloom is random, that means that you have a possibility of plucking one of 15 types of Pikmin, the 5 colors in 3 stages of bloom.
I know how the flowers work. I think in Brawl, since Brawl is not Pikmin, the flower will just be the life bar of the pikmin. It worked sort of like that in the games. The flower pikmin could be demoted to buds and leaves. Unless Pikmin die in like one hit in Brawl, in which case the flowers would determine the strength and it'd be like Peach's turnips.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
I died a little inside when they talked about Pikmin and, among other things, said that a Red pikmin had blue flower.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Judging from what you guys said about olimar and pikmin update. You guys really need to play pikmin.

Red, White, and Blue have white flowers (there is no blue flowers thats just the shadowing)

purple, white are New Dungeon pikmin from pikmin two so they have different traits and abilities from the original pikmin

Flower don't mean pikmin life-span it's just represents their strenght

blerb

Smash Journeyman
yeah, I think I'm missing a part of the download or something... I don't remember hearing about a red pikmin with a blue flower...

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Listening now. I always believed that the Alloys were Falcon, ZSS, Mario anf Kirby. It's pretty clear I think.

*continues listening*

Cyberlink420

Smash Ace
NNID
cyberlink420
3DS FC
1461-6271-9006
Just finished listening to the whole thing. Pretty good, but you guys desperately need to play Pikmin, not only to better understand Olimar's moveset, but because it's a ****ing awesome game.

Once again, though, I have to ask: is there any chance of at least one more roundtable trial? I mean, sure, I'd love to get a chance to be on SMYN, but really, any sort of guest on the show would be cool. Having a third person really helps to diversify things and give an alternative opinion to the usual ones.

Top Bottom