• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Show me your moves - Captain Falcon video thread

Steel Banana

Smash Cadet
Here's me against one of training partner's Lucas. I won most of them but I don't feel that I played my best at all and he was making a lot of mistakes that he usually doesn't (like failing to edgeguard Falcon). I think my problems are mostly tech-skill oriented, but I always appreciate feedback. (Also, if you have feedback for my friend, I'll let him know)

Youngblood vs Ruin: youtube.com/watch?v=DtbXPlpwiKc

(sorry, it wouldn't let me post a direct link since I've only posted a few times..)

Last edited:

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
Here's me against one of training partner's Lucas. I won most of them but I don't feel that I played my best at all and he was making a lot of mistakes that he usually doesn't (like failing to edgeguard Falcon). I think my problems are mostly tech-skill oriented, but I always appreciate feedback. (Also, if you have feedback for my friend, I'll let him know)

Youngblood vs Ruin: youtube.com/watch?v=DtbXPlpwiKc

(sorry, it wouldn't let me post a direct link since I've only posted a few times..)
man you look like a rusty falcon imo it's mostly combo dropping. falcon can chain just about anyone ( to my knowledge ) in grabsz or just up airs but you look like you just need some practice

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Not sure if this is the place to ask this, since I couldn't find a Falcon social.

I'm wondering, what is the generally agreed upon best version of Falcon? Did he have anything notable in previous versions (i.e. like Charizard's 2.5 infinite glide) that has since been taken out? I'm making a custom version of P:M with the best versions of all characters in it. Thanks again!

artofskjet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
napperflames
3DS FC
4141-3810-2708
Not sure if this is the place to ask this, since I couldn't find a Falcon social.

I'm wondering, what is the generally agreed upon best version of Falcon? Did he have anything notable in previous versions (i.e. like Charizard's 2.5 infinite glide) that has since been taken out? I'm making a custom version of P:M with the best versions of all characters in it. Thanks again!
it's not the place to my knowledge but i think one of the Falcons 2.5 maybe could turn around a million times in a falcon punch but i don't know which version

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Last edited:

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Dguc-logQ

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BlnSZhZEC-I

Sorry for the triple post. I'm doing this on my phone. It wouldn't let me post more than 2 vids per message. P.s. im so glad people are still taking falcon to high levels in pm! I thought falcon had disappeared from pm due to a lack of presence on streams and such. Glad to know that's not the casw. Haven't really focused on the falcon threads, and going back and reading my old posts is super nostalgic. Anyway, I'm ranting. Carry on.

D

Deleted member

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9Dguc-logQ

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BlnSZhZEC-I

Sorry for the triple post. I'm doing this on my phone. It wouldn't let me post more than 2 vids per message. P.s. im so glad people are still taking falcon to high levels in pm! I thought falcon had disappeared from pm due to a lack of presence on streams and such. Glad to know that's not the casw. Haven't really focused on the falcon threads, and going back and reading my old posts is super nostalgic. Anyway, I'm ranting. Carry on.
Thank you for helping keep Falcon alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

yohoos

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
I got 2nd at a 75 man Georgia Tournament a week ago, here's some Falcon footage!

Vs Z's Link and Wolf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO7SU73vqAY&list=PLmOE4XgHqBjq5o00hmpDgRIw-LyykzmVX&index=15
Winner's Semis Vs CR2 DP's Mario's Mario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nl9ek6VtUc&list=PLmOE4XgHqBjq5o00hmpDgRIw-LyykzmVX&index=28
Winner's Finals Vs TheReflexWonder's Squirtle and Wario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn8IbbHl1EM&index=33&list=PLmOE4XgHqBjq5o00hmpDgRIw-LyykzmVX
Loser's Finals Vs DP's Mario's Luigi and Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsvKfrcWGjE
Grand Finals Vs TheReflexWonder's Squirtle, Wario, and Luigi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY6MLTXT2mo
Casuals Vs Mr. Bones's Bowser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_GJ7NHEA70

Last edited:

SupremoRemo

Smash Cadet
I got 2nd at a 75 man Georgia Tournament a week ago, here's some Falcon footage!

Just watched your Grand Finals set vs Reflex (great set btw and congrats on 2nd!). Just wondering, why did you choose to counterpick Sky World? I know for me, personally, I hate that place-mainly because of the bad recovery options. Was it out of personal preference? or some other specific reason?

And on another note, how did you feel about the CF Wario MU. I was at this week's Xanadu (I'm from MD/VA) and Bass Coney and I like to play plenty of friendlies and he plays a great Wario. I know he was complaining about how Falcon can just throw out a hitbox and stop anything Wario tries to do in the air but I argued that Wario's Fair and Nair beat out most of what CF has to offer. Ontop of that, Wario's bite is arguably his gayest move. Nonetheless, I know Coney was leaning more towards Falcon having the upper hand due some of his complaints (although we did go back and forth in wins), but I still think Wario is a tough MU considering he's one of those trickier characters to combo; but i wanted to know what you or anyone else thought. Thanks!

gasparinmaximus

Smash Rookie
Here's me against Minnesota's best Falcon player, aside from my super ballsy failed edgeguards, what was I doing wrong?

You play well (like combo at 9:40, 10:02); you're just impatient: U-smash at 9:50, D-air at 9:56, jumpOOS at 9:58, D-air at 10:01, falcon kick at 10:10, double jump at 10:13, side-b at 10:59 and 11:04, U-smash at 11:09, double jump at 11:25 (that d-tilt is beautiful though).

Within 10 seconds, you had two opportunities to gimp him. He messed up with that dumb knee at 10:24. Just take the ledge. His patience at 10:25 with that wall-jump up-B wouldn't matter. You recognize that you have to respect him, which is good on your part. However, you follow with an unsafe N-air at 10:29. He often double-jumps onto the stage, so respect that space; test him with f-tilt. He punishes with a back throw (good), and follows with a really bad B-air. Once again, this is now your edge-guard. Just take the ledge. At 10:31: you D-air. Forget D-air-- if it hits, it can get wall-teched, meteor-canceled, etc. Make him feel like he's in trouble by just waiting to see what he does. If you take the ledge away, he has to land on the stage, which can be punished by a stomp to knee or single-hit N-air to grab. SO MANY OPTIONS out of those two moves.

Now, at 10:35, U-smash would only cover the tech-chase if he teched in place. You can U-air to cover all his options on WarioWare, double jump N-air to cover tech-in-place and roll away, or just double-jump waveland and respond to his decision while he's on the platform.

On Final Destination, you double jump too early at 12:00. Just up-b and save your double jump in case he hits you. That way, you don't get gimped. At 12:07, you get nervous and jump backwards, which wouldn't reward you. He's too mindful to let his invincibility run out. He's waiting for this, and rolls onstage. Test him with your spacing on the ground. You don't need to leave the ground to be threatening. When Falcon isn't moving, he's scary AF. At 12:10 he jabs your shield to get a response out of you. He tries to dash-dance grab, which is something that he tried 3 times in a row in an earlier match. Now he knows that when you're backed up, you like to go up and descend with an attack. Careful: if he were paying attention he could in the future dash-dance knee where you'd be in a full-hop and set up an edge-guard. Great spacing at 12:12. Now, right after you dip out, he does the same thing you did: full hop to establish the threat of a descending aerial. Once again, this gets punished by dash-dance grab or aerial. 12:14, grab would have rewarded you more than a N-air. I have a habit of throwing out hitboxes too, but the grab is infinitely more rewarding. You do exactly what you should've done earlier at 12:16, and follow up really well, with those two grabs. Nice attempt on N-air grab, he was just too close to the ledge. Good punish on his poorly-spaced N-air at 12:20. U-throw F-tilt is beautiful, and you follow it up with dash attack. YES. Then, WTF, you Go DeEp WhEn It WoN't ReWaRd YoU. Now you both have to recover. You'd have been able to kill him if you'd grabbed the ledge. Also, even if he can make it onstage, he's forced to land onstage with terrible endlag, which you can punish with stomp or grab. This is part of what decides this match. You could've evened up stocks here by doing simple ****. Instead you pull a beautiful combo out at 12:34. What's funny is, you could get the same combo out if he landed onstage with his up-b.

Now, he gets nervous because that combo was dope, and does a raptor boost, which you punish pretty well, minus the almost-gentleman. You could just chain-grab him. Good patience on your double jump at 12:49. Once again, at 12:57, JUST TAKE THE LEDGE WITH SIDE-B. You're lucky he didn't make it back and establish a stock lead. 13:13, same story: just take the ledge. You could have swung the momentum in your favor (and he doesn't play well under your momentum). Again, you take the stock away with a dope combo. Now, you back yourself into a corner at 13:30 by running past center-stage, and he takes advantage by throwing out a knee to gentleman. You got nervous at 13:35 with an early recovery, and he punishes you. Playing properly in a situation like that just takes time and practice. At 13:50, you're not going to get away from N-air. Keep stage control and shield. He's going to aerial anyway, so you can maybe punish with a grab. At 34%, you could've ended the game with a combo by U-throw. At 13:56, you let the fact that you have one stock and are off the stage get to your head and up-B out of your double jump too early. He might've gotten a soft knee, but his hard knee only happened because you were impatient.

You still have nerves getting to you, and it totally showed when, for example, you were on Smashville and decided to jump back into the fray with a N-air. You're on the platform and he wants a knee or up-air--bait him out there and capitalize with a B-air. Just chill out.

He never picks up on this, but you almost always roll on stage. A waveland grab every now and then would work well for you (you can totally do it--that Hax ish you pulled on Wario was dope).You probably already know about your aerial falcon kick (9:45 hurts my soul).

Now, when entering from the air, D-air covers too small an area when descending (10:21, for example). I think single-hit N-air sets up well and is safe on shield at the right distance. Especially in falcon dittos, single-hit N-air confirms a grab, and with up-throw, you can set up a combo (and with your skill, probably a stock.)

You're good, you just play too fast and got nervous. Stick to reliable edge guards with B-air and U-air, f-tilt, D-air on stage Falco-style. See the Hax and Lord match at TNE for good edge guards. For recovery punishes, look at 0:59 in the Lord S2J match at TNE.

Good luck!

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Congrats on the nice placing!
Now to the advice, I would start working on trying to diversify your neutral game a good bit, you're doing a lot of the regular stuff pretty well, but there's a lot of other potential stuff that you're not really using, like running jabs, RAR, pivot grabs, empty hops, shield drops, and just more aerial zoning in general.
Your spacing on a lot of moves against shields also seems to cause recurring issues with you, as I saw you getting frequently punished after mis-spacing a lot of stuff on shields. Falcon is very capable of doing stuff safe on shield, just gotta execute.
Your combo game seems a bit stiff, almost as if you've already decided how you're going to follow up on people before you combo them, rather than the more optimal choice in making decisions on reaction to their DI.
Otherwise, just try to learn more about the game in general, and gain a deeper understanding of not only your options in given scenarios, but also your opponent's. You've got potential man, keep up the good work!

Last edited:

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Here are vidoes of me from Smash of Ages, a regional tournament in Georgia.
Stream archives: http://www.twitch.tv/alabamasmashleague/b/558784853
The following are bracket pools matches, me vs Jahranimo's Olimar at 42:49, winner's semis against Gig's Fox at 01:23:00, and Winner's Finals against Scatt's Sonic at 02:04:35, there were no Grand Finals for pools at this event.
Now to bracket matches: Winner's Semis against Player-1's ROB and Diddy at 04:05:38. The rest are on Youtube.
Winner's Finals against TheReflexWonder's DDD and Wario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS3XpsqIXiI
Loser's Finals against Kip's Lucas (match starts like 30 seconds in): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjq-DLwb-_c
Grand Finals against TheReflexWonder's Wario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joFjdLJ4Ako
Please give me any advice you can think of.

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Just started playing the captain in tournament a few weeks ago. I really like him so far and his movement is so fun. I know that there are a lot of things I can still work on, though. Don't have any tournament footage, but I have a few friendlies with my boy CnB | Chandy, the resident Top 3K of Austin. Any critique is appreciated.

http://www.twitch.tv/austinpm/b/561954077?t=3h12m58s

SupremoRemo

Smash Cadet
Congrats on the nice placing!
Now to the advice, I would start working on trying to diversify your neutral game a good bit, you're doing a lot of the regular stuff pretty well, but there's a lot of other potential stuff that you're not really using, like running jabs, RAR, pivot grabs, empty hops, shield drops, and just more aerial zoning in general.
Your spacing on a lot of moves against shields also seems to cause recurring issues with you, as I saw you getting frequently punished after mis-spacing a lot of stuff on shields. Falcon is very capable of doing stuff safe on shield, just gotta execute.
Your combo game seems a bit stiff, almost as if you've already decided how you're going to follow up on people before you combo them, rather than the more optimal choice in making decisions on reaction to their DI.
Otherwise, just try to learn more about the game in general, and gain a deeper understanding of not only your options in given scenarios, but also your opponent's. You've got potential man, keep up the good work!
Thanks man! Yeah I had absolutely no MU experience against Wolf, so that was my first time really playing one... not helpful that it was a tourney match haha. I think I also really have a problem with shield pressure; as in I kinda freak out when I'm getting mad shield pressure and I end up rolling or doing something dumb or just DI'ing bad--you may have seen that when June started spamming some lasers and following up with moves I just didn't know how to react. I think that was the same way when LLOD was playing me with his Lucas...
I'll def take your advice though and up may game in those areas you pointed out!

Really appreciate it!

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Fatality, do you not like u-air to knee off stage? You always double u-air. Also you seem to u-smash or d-smash too much (and missed all of them against that falcon, getting punished most of the time). I'm also not so sure about using falcon kick as a method of getting to the ground unless you can for sure hit the enemy with it. It seems predictable...

Lastly: Is shield-dropping easier in PM than melee or the same? I heard gentleman is a lot easier, but is there a specific PM way to gentleman?

Last edited:

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Fatality, do you not like u-air to knee off stage? You always double u-air. Also you seem to u-smash or d-smash too much (and missed all of them against that falcon, getting punished most of the time). I'm also not so sure about using falcon kick as a method of getting to the ground unless you can for sure hit the enemy with it. It seems predictable...

Lastly: Is shield-dropping easier in PM than melee or the same? I heard gentleman is a lot easier, but is there a specific PM way to gentleman?
That video of me playing against the Falcon doesn't really mean anything, I was goofing around and just trying to be stylish instead of trying to win. I do lots of U-air to knee off stage, but only when I know it's a combo. At earlier-mid percents, or when I'm not optimally positioned, hitstun ends and they can hit me before I knee them, U-air is a lot faster, so I can still hit them before hitstun ends in situations where knee often couldn't. Regarding Falcon kick to get to the ground, I just use it as a landing mix up, the more mixups you have, the better, even if in a vacuum they seem easy to stop. To gentleman in PM, literally just press A three times, it's that simple! Shield dropping feels a little different in PM than Melee to me, but I only play PM nowadays and I just lightly press down on the control stick in shield till my control stick touches the bottom of the grooves on the controller.

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Thanks man! \owo/

For the record my Falcon is F rank: fraudulent/flashy. He's one of those characters I find really awkward to use back and forth from netplay to offline, so he's less consistent and not as solid as my G&W yet.

Last edited:

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Thanks man! \owo/

For the record my Falcon is F rank: fraudulent/flashy. He's one of those characters I find really awkward to use back and forth from netplay to offline, so he's less consistent and not as solid than my G&W yet.
Ahh, well there's always going to be room for that niche of "super flashy dude of awesomeness", like Bizarroflame, and Dark.
Not everyone's goal is to be the best after all, you're probably a big crowd favorite back home, really fun to watch.

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723

KimSuhanmu

Smash Rookie
Here's me against Minnesota's best Falcon player, aside from my super ballsy failed edgeguards, what was I doing wrong?
hey man i saw you posting on the who is the #1 falcon thread. honestly from a noobie perspective looking at all the great falcon players there are it looks like you slayer and strawhat seem to be the best there is.

From what I'm seeing, strawhat all around seems to have the best spacing with his aerials which allows him to not get shield grabbed easily and he keeps up good shield pressure

You have really fluid combos, probably the best combos from the 3 of you ESPECIALLY with platforms

and slayer just seems to have insane tech chasing ability and is very consistent with it too.

If you watch that set he tech chased you sooooo much for re-grabs and other stuff, whereas whenever you were mostly trying to read his rolls or get ups.

Since strawhat's shield pressure / neutral game is so good I think he would beat you and slayer out though.. just my guess

I could be wrong because again,... i'm just some noob looking at vids trying to learn how to play falcon but that's what it seems like to me. Take it or leave it.

KimSuhanmu

Smash Rookie
Oh didn't see you posted TO10 vids, i was wondering how you did there, thansk for links gonna watch now

KimSuhanmu

Smash Rookie
I honestly wonder about falcons viability but I hope you can make something happen for him to bring him way into the spotlight. Watching your set vs Esam makes it feel like an insanely difficult character to play because of projectile characters, but other times it seems like such a breeze just comboing someone into a knee for a stock

Steel Banana

Smash Cadet
Here are some videos of me from a weekly last week. Lately, I've been winning a lot but losing to the top players in my area (DFW). I can take games off of some of them but RARELY take sets. I feel like my game is missing something mentally. There's something that I can't seem to grasp, but I don't know what it is.

The first two videos are wins, so the Winner's and Loser's Finals will be more helpful to watch. I've been having a lot of trouble fighting Shokio recently, so feedback on the Winner's Finals video would be extra appreciated.

Youngblood vs Azer (Snake)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4On2GoOEGI

Youngblood vs RUIN (Lucas)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONjfI5Hs4AA

Youngblood vs Shokio (Roy) [Winner's Finals]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vglzyq4rgo8

Youngblood vs Artimus (G&W) [Loser's Finals]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYsvBNHoo3U

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
Here are some videos of me from a weekly last week. Lately, I've been winning a lot but losing to the top players in my area (DFW). I can take games off of some of them but RARELY take sets. I feel like my game is missing something mentally. There's something that I can't seem to grasp, but I don't know what it is.

The first two videos are wins, so the Winner's and Loser's Finals will be more helpful to watch. I've been having a lot of trouble fighting Shokio recently, so feedback on the Winner's Finals video would be extra appreciated.

Youngblood vs Azer (Snake)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4On2GoOEGI

Youngblood vs RUIN (Lucas)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONjfI5Hs4AA

Youngblood vs Shokio (Roy) [Winner's Finals]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vglzyq4rgo8

Youngblood vs Artimus (G&W) [Loser's Finals]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYsvBNHoo3U

One of the reasons that you were having trouble with Will Smith is because you kept on going in with nairs and he had caught onto that. Falcon's nair is extremely susceptible to crouch cancelling and Roy is a very crouch cancel heavy character. Shokio pretty much just held down for a lot of the neutral and got a lot of free dtilts and giving Roy free down dtilts is always bad. Try to throw in some cross up dairs to beat out people who are looking for crouch cancels. If you hit them while they are grounded, the stomp will keep them in stun long enough for you to get a grab.

As for more general things, you're not taking full advantage of all the movement options that Falcon has. You would waveland on all of the platforms whenever you took a stock, but you never used platforms whenever you were actually fighting. Try using Falcon's great platform mobility more in your game. As of right now, you sort of default to dash dance shffl nair in neutral. Try to use all the options at your disposal. You could be going for more empty jumps, waveland baits, falling aerials off of or through platforms, or even just dash dance grabs in neutral.

Top Bottom