• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Show me your moves - Captain Falcon video thread

Ace55

Smash Lord
Every character board needs a video thread. Post your 2.5 Captain Falcon vids here and I'll organize them by character (alphabetically) and date (aka newest on top). When it becomes necessary I'll make a separate section for teams, and I'll distinguish between friendlies and tournies/MM's. Also feel free to use this thread to ask for and give critique on the posted matches. And yes the title lacks imagination, but it was an easy choice. So:

Show me your moves!

vs Bowser :bowser:

Iván vs Jorge [Match 1] [March 2013] [Tournament]

Vish vs Gimpyfish [February 2013] [Tournament]

Ryuker vs Ace [Match 1&2] [January 2013] [Friendlies]
Ryuker vs Ace [Match 3] [January 2013] [Friendlies]

vs Captain Falcon :falcon:

Strawhat vs Psychoace [April 2013] [Tournament]

Tai vs Denthorn [Match 2] [March 2013] [Friendlies]

Remo vs CTL [November 2012] [Tournament]

vs Donkey Kong :dk:

Cluelesslink vs Vee [February 2013] [Friendlies]

vs Falco :falcomelee:

Blade vs ChaserTech [Match 5) [February 2013] [Friendlies]

vs Fox :fox:

Strawhat vs NKGuy [Match 3] [March 2013] [Tournament]

vs Ganondorf :ganondorf:

Strawhat vs Loko [Match 1] [March 2013] [Tournament]

vs Link :link2:

Strawhat vs Ninja [Match 1] [April 2013] [Tournament]

Blade vs ChaserTech [Match 1,2,3&4) [February 2013] [Friendlies]

vs Lucas :lucas:

Mask vs Z~Z [January 2013] [Friendlies]

vs Luigi:luigi:

Remo vs CTL [November 2012] [Tournament]

vs Mario :mario:

Strawhat vs Loko [Match 2] [March 2013] [Tournament]

vs Marth :marthmelee:

Ace vs Ryuker [February 2013] [Friendlies]

vs Ness :ness:

Strawhat vs NKGuy [Match 1] [March 2013] [Tournament]

vs Pikachu :pikachu2:

Strawhat vs LA [Match 1] [April 2013] [Tournament]

vs Pit :pit:

Strawhat vs LA [Match 2] [April 2013] [Tournament]
Strawhat vs Ninja [Match 2] [April 2013] [Tournament]

Ace vs Ryuker [January 2013] [Friendlies]

vs Wolf :wolf:

DMG vs Alex [Match 1&2] [August 2013] Tournament]

Tai vs Denthorn [Match 1] [March 2013] [Friendlies]

Neko vs Dug [January 2013] [Friendlies]

vs Zero Suit Samus :zerosuitsamus:

Mask vs RingWormTheDestroyer [January 2013] [Friendlies]

vs Wario :wario:

Ryuker vs Ace [Match 1] [January 2013] [Friendlies]
Ryuker vs Ace [Match 1] [January 2013] [Friendlies]

Last edited:

Ace55

Smash Lord
You could go for more dairs on DK's upB since his ledgegrab range is pretty good but his meteor cancelling is nearly non existent.

And for the love of god tell Vee to use cargo upthrow instead of normal dhtrow.

Added to the OP.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
Hey, guys. My name is Strawhat and I'm a falcon/ toon link main in PM. (Falcon main in Melee). Anyway, I have two tourney matches where I play as falcon at Hobo 39 (monthly held in Houston Texas).
Thanks to Sethlon, I was able to watch these matches over and over. Thank again, Sethlon. :)

First match: Falcon vs Ganon/Mario http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF2m_xd4u-A
Second match: Toon Link/Falcon vs Ness/Fox http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZtjnWwn1AA

Im still wokring on fighting off tournament jitters, but Im getting there.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Feel free to tear me apart with criticism. lol
Tear you apart? Liked + subscribed!

Only pointers I can think of are upthrow all day vs Ganon/Fox. Vs Ganon it gives you regrabs/shNair at low%, upair/knee at higher %. Vs Fox it gives you more time to position yourself for the techchase so unless you're planning on dropzoning him go for upthrow. And maybe go a little easier on the side-B's but you already stopped doing them vs Fox once you got punished.

Sexy Falcon!

GeZ

Smash Lord
Hey, guys. My name is Strawhat and I'm a falcon/ toon link main in PM. (Falcon main in Melee). Anyway, I have two tourney matches where I play as falcon at Hobo 39 (monthly held in Houston Texas).
Thanks to Sethlon, I was able to watch these matches over and over. Thank again, Sethlon. :)

First match: Falcon vs Ganon/Mario http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF2m_xd4u-A
Second match: Toon Link/Falcon vs Ness/Fox http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZtjnWwn1AA

Im still wokring on fighting off tournament jitters, but Im getting there.
Christ dude, that match against Ganon was sick. Loved the regrabs and uses of Side B i'de never seen before. Kickass. If I can think of one thing I wish I'd seen more of it'd be Uair chains into The Knee, and Knee chains into more Knee.

Strawhat09

Smash Journeyman
Christ dude, that match against Ganon was sick. Loved the regrabs and uses of Side B i'de never seen before. Kickass. If I can think of one thing I wish I'd seen more of it'd be Uair chains into The Knee, and Knee chains into more Knee.
Thanks! Hobo 40 happened a couple weeks ago and I got a couple vids recorded... Got 3rd in singles and 1st in doubles with Oracle. Trying to take Falcon to a very high level in this game :p

GeZ

Smash Lord
Sick man. Literally applying **** I learned in your vs Ganon vid right now with my buddy who plays Ganon. I related you to this Street Fighter player I used to watch and really like. The similarities I saw were basically in that he would do a move (like an overhead/ grab/ anything) over and over again til the opponent countered it. You may not have done it in the same mindset, but your use of Raptor Boost reminded me of that, and I've incorporated it into my game thusly. Thanks again. Keep kicking ass.

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Hey guys, I'm Fatality, I mostly play Falcon/Ivysaur and am hoping to reach the top level of competition. I'm always open to suggestions on how to better my game, and I'll be buying a capture card soon, which I'll use to regularly update this page with my videos.
Without further ado, here's a PM 3.0 recording from Tipped Off 9, which is the only recorded match of me playing Falcon there.
Fatality (Falcon) vs Hyperdragon (Roy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id7cq_9QAZo

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Skip to 01:17 for me vs TheReflexWonder in Winner's Finals, then Grand Finals at Cute Cats 5 (Georgia Tech Tournament Series). I play Ivysaur in my Loser's Finals matches. Looking for feedback on how to get better with Falcon.
http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/505660829

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
Skip to 01:17 for me vs TheReflexWonder in Winner's Finals, then Grand Finals at Cute Cats 5 (Georgia Tech Tournament Series). I play Ivysaur in my Loser's Finals matches. Looking for feedback on how to get better with Falcon.
http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/505660829
On it, gimme a sec to watch and I'll update this with everything I notice and have to say.

So to start, I love your Falcon. There are only a few things I feel your missing from your game that are specific for the character, but a few more things that you'd benefit from incorporating that are more player based.

Falcon has an amazing grab game, but I don't see you put it to much use. Your combo game makes up for that in excess but it would still be something worth putting to good use.
You also roll too much. Falcon has a garbage roll and against a character that can tech chase you'll get blown up for raw rolling out of shield. Incorporate WD OoS instead as it's more safe and nets you better results. On the subject of rolling, it seems that you don't put much thought into your teching. Like you'll hit the ground and just choose roll to get up or quick get up and get put in bad situations for it. Maybe think more about what you're opponent has been prone to using when you hit the ground and tech counter to that?

As a player I'd like to see you inspect the matchup from a metagame perspective more. You're technically proficient but you don't go for any hard reads and you don't capitalize on your opponents bad habits. You win regardless, but it would improve your ability to deal with your opponent and not just their character.

I can go further into these or help with something else if there's something you'd prefer/ think you really need work on.

Last edited:

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Thanks for the input, as a whole, I'm relatively happy with how I played since I almost beat one of the best PM players in the world in Winner's Finals. But I didn't win, and the things you pointed out, in addition to some personal observations I've had upon watching myself play will hopefully push myself to victory next time. What I typically do in tech chase situations now, is to roll the control stick in circles so not even I will know where I'm going, the basis for me doing that, is so I won't have any tech habits to exploit. But I guess by doing that, I miss out on chances to capitalize on my opponents habits. I also need to force my opponents to respect my space more, Reflex picked up on that in Grands, as you can see him just walk me to the edge which destroys so many of Falcon's options. By putting up Nair walls, and other similar things I can do that. If there's anything else you noticed, I'm interested in what you have to say. This might sound pretentious, but I REALLY want to become the best PM player in the world, and am willing to go to any lengths to accomplish that goal. Any little thing anyone can do to help me with that, would be very appreciated. :)

GeZ

Smash Lord
That's not pretension man, that's drive, and it's a breath of fresh air to see someone really motivated to succeed.

This one is a bit out there, but it could help your game to get a better grasp of what works at what percents. You've got a very good flow to your combos, but there are some things that work in such specific situations that you don't develop the habit of using it in that situation and it never gets utilized. So figuring out what percent certain combo tools are more likely to work at is really handy.

Also once you get a better tech chase game down I'd love to see you put opponents in more situations where you can tech chase. Like when finishing a combo that you know won't kill, go for a Dair ender and fast fall after them so that you can dash grab or Raptor Boost chase their tech roll. If I think of anything else, I'll post it here, but overall, great work man. Keep it up.

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Those are all good points, I'll work with all of them at the next smashfest I go to. We have smashfests every week around here, and I also just got a Dazzle, so pretty soon this thread is going to be chock-full of my Falcon videos. People will also get a much better grasp of how I play once they see me playing a lot more different people and matchups. I've gotten to the point where my technical skill is high enough to where I can reliably do anything at anytime, so now I'm mostly focusing on developing my mental game and tech chases. The way I defensively adapt to my opponents is solid (sans rolling too much), but I still have yet to develop much of an offensive adaptation game.

-Key-

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya1wEN3YuNg
Here are some more of my moves. Yes, it's a really long video, but if nothing else, just watch 102:55 onwards, some tasty stuff there. Playing casual friendlies with a buddy.
That final combo at 1:03:37 though... wow. At the very end, the speed at which you went from juggling him in the air to getting down on the platform to then being back up in the air again for the final Knee was amazing. Sadly, I would drop the juggle at that point and miss out on the kill 100 times out of 100, but my tech skill is still very much a work in (slow) progress.

Even outside of that specific instance though, your movement overall is so impressive. I think you were accurate when you said that you can reliably do just about anything you want at any time, and that's such a critical foundation to have for Falcon. I wish I had some sort of helpful advice to tag on the end of this, but I don't really have anything to say other than keep up the good work and definitely post more videos when you can.

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
Wow, thanks a lot :) . I'm going to a tournament this Saturday, and I'll record as much as I can.

-Key-

Smash Cadet
I noticed that you also recently uploaded matches vs. Lucas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBi5d0SfALo). I picked up a couple new offensive strategies from those and will practice to incorporate them in my own game. However, I also noticed some areas of your play that I feel a more capable Lucas would punish hard. Perhaps you know to normally watch out for these things but decided to ignore them because you knew this player wouldn't use them against you, but I will provide some tips anyway just in case you or anyone else find them useful. I'm mainly going to focus on the match at 20:53 (Pokemon Stadium 2) because it seemed like the Lucas' best performance.

- Watch out that your edgeguarding doesn't leave you vulnerable to Lucas' Down-B. I didn't see Lucas ever use it in any of the matches, but it comes out fast and quickly turns the tables from you edgeguarding him to him edgeguarding you. If Lucas is off-stage and positioned below or level with the ledge, I don't even bother going out there because I know I'm going to get Down-Bed which then allows him to beat me to the ledge and Bair spike me. Whenever I get too aggressive with edgeguarding, this is what happens and it is always horrible. While you didn't get beat with Down-B at 23:37, you definitely were too aggressive and could've been punished or edgehogged even if you hadn't fast-fallen for the SD. Skipping the final Knee and Raptor Boosting back to the edge would've been a much safer option I think. If you put 22:05-22:11 on repeat for like 10 mins straight, that would basically sum up my experience with this matchup, and this is another example of how Lucas can easily punish Falcon if you aren't really careful with your off-stage positioning. I think Lucas probably could've Baired you at 23:00 as well if he was a hair faster and had thought of it.

- You were successful being very aggressive with your approaches because Lucas really couldn't handle your pressure, but there were times where I saw you approach and thought to myself "that should've been an easy shield-grab for Lucas." Using Raptor Boost anywhere outside of really close range or within a combo should result in a shield-grab for Lucas nearly every time, and Falcon Kick is not much better (while it can at least push you through their shield and behind them sometimes, it still leaves you within punish range for Nair or Bair OOS). Raptor Boost also gets wrecked by pretty much every aerial that Lucas has, so it really is a high risk/low reward option overall. Fishing for a grab is much safer, and Uthrow gives virtually the same effect as Raptor Boost. I mentioned that long-range Falcon Kick is punishable with a shield-grab if Lucas is facing you, but 23:10 is a great example of how it can also get you into trouble even if Lucas is facing away from you. At 23:37 you started using a lot of really long-range Nairs that could've been easily punished by a shield-grab.

- 24:17 is just a bad situation that Lucas can put people in. I can try to avoid this as much as possible but it still happens to me and it always sucks.

As far as the good things you did:

- Chaining with Dthrow is one of the main advantages Falcon has in this matchup, and you generally did a good job of using it throughout the many matches played. I think you could've used it more in the PS2 match I have been highlighting, because a lot of times you opted for Uthrow to put Lucas on the platform and then often didn't get much of a punish out of it.

- Uthrow to Knee is guaranteed at a pretty wide range of percentages. I'm not sure what the specific range is (and I really should figure that out), but it tends to work more often than not in my experience. You used this very well (notable for the final kill of the PS2 match), but I really liked that you also used Nair at low percentages because you knew Knee wouldn't kill and Nair would allow for a longer combo that would result in more percentage. Good stuff, and I need to do that more myself.

I hope this post didn't come off as being overly-negative, because you are definitely an excellent player and you dominated basically every other match in the 36-minute video (that's a lot of matches). And even in the PS2 match, you won despite the obstacles you faced and overall you had a lot of success throughout it. Your movement and flow were on point and you were able to consistently punish Lucas as a result. Nice job, keep up the good work, and keep posting more matches!

Top Bottom