• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Show Me Ya Gimps! Pit General Disc.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
Does anyone else find the glide as less useful approach option than 2.1? I used to use it quite a bit but then I realized I don't use it much now. It just seems like it's only good as a recovery option now. Idk, that's just me

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
I love glide attack too. I just find it hard to fit in a glide when I'm not trying to recover

McNinja

Smash Ace
Hmm that leads me to this question:

When should one glide as an approach compared to just a plain shffl?

Is it merely a mix up option? Or is there an actual situation in which it fits best?

Bryonato

Green Hat
I like it as a mix up option. Due to the initial boost you get when you glide you can quickly place yourself above your opponent which can lead to a free dair/bair/nair. Most times when I glide to approach I'm probably gliding for less than a second before I either glide attack/aerial attack out.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Glide Attack is still a good move like it was in 2.1, just now, it is safe is you hit someone's shield with it, and it does have some good combo potential afterwards, which is weird in some cases. Especially the fact that you can combo a glide attack after some aerial moves, which is either just poor DI from the opponent, or just guaranteed if properly timed.

Few examples being: D-Throw > SH F-air > Regrab to D-Throw > Dair > Bair (The hit that sends them in the opposite direction) > Glide > Glide attack (Strict timing to land) > U-Air/Up-B (Depending on DI)

Glide > Dair > Fair > SH U-Air > Bair > Glide > Glide attack > U-Air/Up-B.

It can also be a good tool for recovering as well, if your opponent isn't expecting it. I wouldn't say there's a specific time to use Glide Attack, but it's rather fit as a mix-up option, especially if you can shield poke someone with it, you can get a pretty nice follow up.

BlinkIV

Avenger
It's really good, I love it in almost every situation that it's usable in, but sometimes you can't get too obvious with it, or else people will punish it.

iode

Smash Cadet
I find myself using the regular aerials, especially Dair out of offensive glides. Is there anything particularly special about the Z-attack out of glide?

Bryonato

Green Hat
It's very safe. Low knockback, low startup/endlag and it leads into a lot of other moves. The hitbox on it is also nice; like a happy medium between fair and dair.

iode

Smash Cadet
After playing around with it, I realized it also auto cancels, right? It's not an A aerial meaning it doesn't have an L cancel, but it cancels itself, as if it were L canceled at all times.

BlinkIV

Avenger
It's got really low ending lag, and it auto cancels if it's done of a ledge.

I wish we had a frame data thread.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Nice combo, I have a combo myself that's similar, but it takes them upwards instead.

After the U-Smash > U-Air > Weak spot U-Air > Up-B. It kills pretty early on some stages, so it's efficient to use.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Has anyone found a use for the dair spike? I feel like its too weak a spike to be used as a finisher unless you are far away from the edge. I guess you could use it to edgeguard if you were really precise. Also, which is better oos, dair or up b? Does it depend on the opponent?

BlinkIV

Avenger
It's a good tool to use, you can combo into it, and use it for reset purposes (Aka D-Throw > D-air Spike > Re-grab/D-air again/N-air), the easiest way to combo into it, is after an arrow at a good percentage. Something like..F-air > Arrow > D-air Spike. The best way to combo the spike is definitely from the arrow hits.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Wow. I never would have thought of that. It makes perfect sense though. Since the arrows have a nice amount of hitstun, landing the spike should not be too hard.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Yeah, Pit has a wide variety of combo potential, almost any of his moves can be followed into another one of his moves, you've gotta have an open mind, and a good mind-set when playing Pit.

BlinkIV

Avenger
U-Throw = Not too useful, mainly used against floaty characters, and it's a throw if you want to maintain space.

B-Throw = Good for Space Animals off-stage, no kill power, nice amount of throwback

F-Throw = Kills around 150-160% (Depending on the stage), can't CG it like you could in Brawl.

D-Throw = Life

SpiderMad

Smash Master
So just D-throw all day, there's no need to mix it up with the other throws if they DI (away right?). What do you usually do after a d-throw

Nguz95

Smash Lord
So just D-throw all day, there's no need to mix it up with the other throws if they DI (away right?). What do you usually do after a d-throw
The most common follow-up against fast fallers is a fair, but floatier characters allow for more flexibility. At low percents I like to usmash floatier chars. I do the same as a kill at high percents with the spacies. That might just be me though.

BlinkIV

Avenger
You can U-Smash from a D-throw for any character, it's just more effective against people who fall faster, since you can still follow up after the U-Smash.

Main combo from D-Throw is just gonna be a F-air, or a SH U-air, but after a F-air at low %'s, you can re-grab.

Something like..D-Throw > SH F-air > Re-grab D-Throw > F-air > F-air > SH N-air (It'll take them off-stage) > Gimp

D-Throw > SH U-air > F-air > F-air > Arrow > Anything.

Like I said though, you gotta have an open mind all the time when doing combos, or his throws.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
What's the best ways to get grabs? Does his JC Grab beat out his Dash grab by a meaningful margin or should I not care (like for Zelda's case)

Is there any general tips or secrets about playing as Pit, because I just spam stuff like CF and then hope my powerful f-smash and d-smash get'em when I run out of space for arrows (but then they usually shield and so I need to grab more). I noticed d-smash doesn't hit on the inside of pit.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Yeah, I always JC his grab whenever I can, it's not too big a difference like Marth or Snake, but it's fairly good to JC it.

Grabbing combos and grab follow ups are always a great way to score some damage and kills, or just any way you can convert a move into another.

There aren't many too many secrets about Pit, aside from his U-Smash being crazy strong, his throws being amazing, his Up-B being an awesome kill move (Weak U-Air > Up-B = Xeven special), D-Throw > Up-B (If they DI wrong) for a good kill, his arrows has good follow ups, good for retaining space, etc.

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Uthrow chain grabs fast fallers at 50. Also at higher percentages like 80 it combos in to fsmash.

Pits grab game is like sheiks. Uthrow and dthrow have their uses. Near plats I uthrow 100% of the time because waveland, and usmash cover so many options. Middle of stage I dthrow until 50 vs fast fallers, then start going for uthrow regrab then uthrow dair on no di/di in, or fsmash on di away.

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk 2

CORY

wut
BRoomer
if they just di away, run-smash is almost free up until very high percent.

if they di up-away, then you can pretty much guarantee the fair-followup.

no di (or di towards you), just do whatever you want : D

most characters can get hit by up out of dthrow at around 100, not sure if di upaway will save them. if you force them into a bad spot and dthrow facing the ledge, it's still almost win-win for you, since you can go deep and gimp them if they di away, or just upb kill if they don't.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
What should I do for do whatever I want

Do you guys JC with X/Y or tap jump?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
i tend to just usmash because it's brainless, but the followups from that are limited. if they're directly above you, fair probably wouldn't work, but that would be ideal as you can oftentimes lead into another grab off of it, or at least get them closer to the ledge.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I'm just glad you are still around to help people like me out. Pit is a strange character. He is really good, but nobody wanted to pick him up because they didn't recognize him. I think Uprising is the cause of his increasing popularity.
On another note, I have been watching Armada to see how he gimps the spacies, but I had a few questions. I know you can chain the fair pretty easily against the spacies, but can you do it with floatier characters, like Peach and Jigglypuff? Also, are you sourspotting the fair to get more off, then finishing with a sweetspotted one?

BlinkIV

Avenger
Uprising did shed a little light on Pit as a character, which was pretty cool, but I don't think more people will pick him up until they start seeing solid/consistent tournament placings with him. Heck, I'm surprised more people didn't pick him up because of watching Armada beat Mango.

Chaining Fairs is easy on most of the cast, I normally don't chain Fairs much on Spacies, I sometimes go for other combos, like..I love using D-air in combos and following up from that, spacies are just free to whatever Pit has when he gets a grab. For floaties like Peach, Zelda and Jiggs, I never go for chaining Fairs, unless it's low %, when you get like 2 after a D-Throw. Otherwise, mainly U-Air strings against them (Keeping them in the air is ideal), and if you're at the right %, hit them with the Xeven special. (Weak U-Air > Up-B) for a strong kill.

Nguz95

Smash Lord
That actually makes way more sense than what I was doing. I love using dair too, but I always tried to use it as a lead-in to fair and bair or an up-b. Watching all of the matches on the video thread is showing me how important keeping your opponent in the air is with Pit. I have noticed how often all of you use the arrows in midair to shoot the opponent straight up to make finishing with an aerial easier and more consistent. I need to uair more, and I need to try out the Xeven special too. Is dair a good tech chase option? Or is nair better?

BlinkIV

Avenger
D-Air is a better tech chase option, it leads into more follow ups, whilst N-air can risk either: Not getting all the hits, opponent DI'ing out of it, etc. U-Air is really good, sweetspot or even sourspotted, it's really a good move that can either out-prioritize or straight beat some other moves. Ness D-air for example: Using U-air before he does his D-Air will almost always win.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Tell me everything to know about glide, I don't understand it other than I press side-b and do nair and pretend I'm still playing Ike

Top Bottom