• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shouldn't Tiers be based largely on matchups?

Sirami

Smash Cadet
So, right now tier listing is based mostly on tournament results. I understand the need to base a list on statistical data, but I think the wrong data is being gathered.

A tier list is supposed to be a list of what characters are viable for tournament play, and how viable they are. A characters viability is a large reason as to why they place where they do in tournaments, this is true, but placing well in tournaments isn't what makes a character viable.

When attempting to study what characters are good, the list should be based on why those characters are good. Until that happens, the tier list will be skewed by character popularity.

The reason a character is good in tournament play is because of how viable they are in specific matchups. Anybody that's been to a tournament will tell you how important picks and counterpicks can be. This is why on highly developed games (like SF2ST) top players end up being able to play a variety of characters (pick counterpick will BREAK you if you don't play it!). MK is good because his specific matchups against the rest of the cast are almost always favorable. Snake is good for the same reason.

That's the "why" that should be behind tier list studies. Current tier list studies look at the end result of the why. Why is it important to observe the actual "why"? Well, because it can reveal things that the current tier list study does not.

It is possible to gather statistics on specific character vs character matchups. Record the match data of the semi-finals and finals of tournaments running under a standard ruleset, specifically what character wins against what character; compile the match data into win/loss ratios, and ding, you have yourself... at least something interesting.

Underplayed characters data will no doubt be skewed at first. Example: It could be a fluke that there's only 20 tournaments recorded with Wario vs MK matchups and that 12 of those 20 matches were won by Wario. Maybe the MK players simply weren't using him to the fullest potential, and still won the tournament. Still, this kind of data will raise an eyebrow or two, which would lead to more Wario vs MK matches, which would make the data more accurate.

After enough time has passed, this kind of statistical study would guide players in a way that current tier list and opinion based matchup threads simply cannot. That's why I think it's worth while.

+Good for metagame.
+More accurate means of determining characters' true potential.
-More data to crunch.
-Low tiered characters data can be skewed or non-existant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's another way to look at it. Think of professional sports. How do you know that a player is good? (The player is the character in this example). You look at things like batting average, number of line-breaks, number of interceptions, ect. Even if the player is playing on a bad team (underplayed character), his statistics will shine through if he's a good player.

Matchup statistics are the closest you'll find to batting averages, flies caught, number of assisted outs, strikes thrown ect.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
I think they didn't base it on match ups because the match ups can change.
for example when the game first came out
MK vs. Ganondorf, now Ganon is a lot slower and the match up may have been like 95-5
over time new things are learned and may become something like 70-30
sorry if I'm just babbling on about something I just got confused on.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
iirc, the SBR-B doesn't care about matchups, mainly because they're a product of character board opinions.

Tournament results prove more than matchups ever will.

@Project D: No, you're wrong.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
It would be an interesting project to make a matchup chart based on tournament results. Example, instead of just listing who placed what in tournaments, listing what characters win/loss ratios were against specific characters.

If people were organized enough to collect that data, that should make for an extremely accurate tier list and matchup chart.

Well, it was just a thought.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
Oh and obviously, the win loss ratios of the finals in whatever tournament should be given the most weight (either that or be the only statistics considered)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
That's actually a bad idea. Because there are bad players out there using good characters. A good deal of that information could be wrong.

If they did start up that system, it wouldn't carry a lot of weight.

Tournament Results: 98%
Sirami's suggestion: 2%

Browny

Smash Hater
Matchups cant be used to any accurate extent.

want an example?

Someone says Sonic has horrible matchups vs top tier. therefore he should be low/bottom tier.
I say they are all winnable and not that hard at all. Whos right? The unbiased observer opinion, or the biased opinion of someone who actually PLAYS the match in-game?

Its really not that easy

Sirami

Smash Cadet
If they are bad players, would they be in the finals of tournaments?
If bad players getting into the finals of tournaments is a problem, that should skew the current tier list even more than a statistical matchup based one. (only grab data from tournament finals for matchup comparisons).

Explain how that's a bad idea again?

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You said 'win:loss" ratio for every character. If it were the grand finals of a tournament, chances are, it'll usually be MK, Snake, Dedede, Falco, or some high tier up there.

It's a bad idea because you're only proving the current system right.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
Matchups cant be used to any accurate extent.

want an example?

Someone says Sonic has horrible matchups vs top tier. therefore he should be low/bottom tier.
I say they are all winnable and not that hard at all. Whos right? The unbiased observer opinion, or the biased opinion of someone who actually PLAYS the match in-game?

Its really not that easy
If statistics show that Sonic regularly loses in the final matches of tournaments regularly to MK, than the statistics would be right; right?

Of course, if a character doesn't regularly make it to the final matches in tournament play, that could be due to already established player bias, but no moreso a problem in this example than it is already with the current method.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
You said 'win:loss" ratio for every character. If it were the grand finals of a tournament, chances are, it'll usually be MK, Snake, Dedede, Falco, or some high tier up there.

It's a bad idea because you're only proving the current system right.
I have no doubt that MK, Snake, and D3 have good matchups against most of the cast. I think that this is what makes them viable for tournament play. Who wins a tournament is influenced by what characters are good, but isn't the reason they are good. The reason characters are good, is because they play good against a lot of characters, make specific characters unplayable, and all in all have favorible matchups.

A theoritical example of what that kind of study might show is that Snake isn't too hard to CP (lowering his potential in tournament play) and that MK might actually have a bad matchup (not making him quite as god tier).

If people discover that Wario has a statistical win/loss ratio of 56% against MK in tournament finals, it would draw attention. More people would "try" Wario against MK, and if it was a fluke, the data would even out as the people trying it wouldn't succeed as well as they had liked.

All in all, not only would it help to further develop Brawl's metagame, but over time it should make a statistically sound tier list.

Actually think about it pls. I'm not asking anybody to do it. I'm just asking you to think about it.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
In essence, what you're saying actually backs up the concept and roots of the tier list. Matchups determine tournament showings, which determine Tier List placings.

Shamanized

Smash Rookie
Yestarday a Ganondorf on WiFi beat everyone with a lead of at least 2 kills for each match. We were all fairly good too, and I was playing as Lucas. I hardly ever lose as Lucas on Wifi... I was going to cry. I just felt the need to mention that here.

Shamanized

Smash Rookie
Ganondorf is the lowest tier so I assumed if the tier list was correct in its existence the worst character of the game shouldn't win as much as he did. I'm sorry I knew my comment was random but I felt I should share it regardless.

Just adding to any anti-tier evidence that this thread was already accumulating.

Shamanized

Smash Rookie
You're right, the Ganon was better. But according to tiers that shouldn't happen anyway especially when I'm using a character that I hardly lose with whether playing on WiFi or with people IRL. Not to mention the Ganon had previously been playing as Pit and wasn't nearly as much of a threat as he was when he was Ganon.

I don't want to stray off topic longer than we already have. But I also don't see how Wifi "means nothing." A brawl match is a brawl match.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Oh my god some people....

Wi-Fi has lag. Lag ****s up some characters more than other. Like Marth, Marth can't space for **** on Wi-Fi. Ganon isn't much worse on Wi-Fi.

Tiers don't mean a bad character can't beat a good one, it just means it's harder.

I know my ****, trust me.

Shintarru

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1676-4016-3956
If tiers were based on matchups, fox would probably be a higher tier.

Shamanized

Smash Rookie
...Obviously I would consider that maybe the match was unfair or screwed up because of lag. If those matches I played yesterday had any lag at all, I would never share it as evidence against the tier list!

But they honestly had no lag to speak of. You can believe that or not. And please don't assume just because I've begun posting here all of a sudden I'm this total noob who just started Brawling. I too know my "****." But I'm not here to prove my worth, I'm here to share information. Data is data. Just ignore me if you disagree.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Oh my god some people....

Wi-Fi has lag. Lag ****s up some characters more than other. Like Marth, Marth can't space for **** on Wi-Fi. Ganon isn't much worse on Wi-Fi.

Tiers don't mean a bad character can't beat a good one, it just means it's harder.

I know my ****, trust me.
Shamanized, you're absolutely wrong, if you're trying to say what I think you are in the first place.

As Solid said, Wifi proves nothing. Just because you got your *** kicked by a Ganondorf, wouldn't mean he's not the worse.

Shamanized

Smash Rookie
Fine I'm wrong. I can deal with that. But if Wifi means nothing to you because of the lag, I recall there being NO lag yesterday during those matches. So I want a different excuse as to why Wifi means nothing.

And have you ever gotten your *** kicked by a Ganondorf? As your best character? No? Well you know it's certainly possible right? Right... So when that does happen, you'll be questioning the tier list more so because of it. This is just logical.

JOE!

Smash Hero
people were kicking *** as Falcons back when he was the "worst", does it magically chnage now that ganon is?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
And have you ever gotten your *** kicked by a Ganondorf? As your best character? No? Well you know it's certainly possible right? Right... So when that does happen, you'll be questioning the tier list more so because of it. This is just logical.
No, I'll accept that he's better than me.

If you lose to a bad character it means the player is better than you.

End of discussion.

Shamanized

Smash Rookie
My only confusion is still the fact that the person playing as Ganon was better than me in skill alone. Though when he was playing as Pit, a much higher tier, he was not as much of a threat.

Now you know why I felt the need to bring it up. Because according to the tier list, that kind of thing is not logical.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
My only confusion is still the fact that the person playing as Ganon was better than me in skill alone. Though when he was playing as Pit, a much higher tier, he was not as much of a threat.

Now you know why I felt the need to bring it up. Because according to the tier list, that kind of thing is not logical.
I'm guessing you didn't have enough matchup experiance against Ganon, and more matchup experiance against Pit.

Or, he wasn't good at Pit.

2Sko

Smash Cadet
MK vs. Ganondorf, now Ganon is a lot slower and the match up may have been like 95-5
I somewhat agree with Project D, Tounrament results can change too...
Like M2K can bomb any second and MK can drop, might not be a lot, but he can, MK doesn't have the best matchup on everyone...

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

You're relying too heavily on the tier list.

I've said this twice already:

Just because a character is lower than a certain character on the tier list, it doesn't mean that the lower character cannot beat the higher character, it means they must try harder.

His Ganon is probably better than his Pit, I don't really see how that's very confusing.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The tier list changes as well.

iirc, the SBR-B doesn't care about matchups, mainly because they're a product of character board opinions.
So, what about the people who are in the SBR, but partake in match-up discussions? And there's something interesting about the SBR, saying that Sonic was a low-tier, and for the last two tier lists, he was a low-tier, but this time, he sky-rocketed +8. Isn't what is being discussed by the SBR also their own opinions? Are you saying that the SBR thinks that every room is just making up stuff and it carries no merit?

Tournament results prove more than matchups ever will.
Such as?

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I think the reason the Smash tiers are made the way they are is because the SBR doesn't want a stagnant tier list that may not reflect how high level tourneys go (example: SF3: 3rd Strike's Yun has the best overall match-ups, yet Chun Li dominates the game to the point of EVO 08's Top 8 consisting of mostly Chun Li's).

My .2

OrangeMewtwo1337

Smash Cadet
i get what your saying, I pretty much agree with this.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
The problem is:

If you base a tier list only on Match-Ups a tournament unviable Character could be #1

Example:

Think of a character that defeats everyone here:
A: Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Pikachu, Olimar, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Kirby
B: Lucario, Zero Suit Samus, Toon Link, Pit, Donkey Kong
C: Peach, Luigi, Fox, Wolf, Sonic, Sheik
D: Bowser, Zelda, Pokémon Trainer, Ike
E: Lucas, Mario, Ness, Yoshi, Samus
F: Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Link, Ganondorf

With 90:10 to 100:0

But loses to:
S: Meta Knight, Snake, Wario, Falco, Diddy Kong, King Dedede
10:90 to 0:100

The so said Character would have AN AWESOME match-up average but loses to most seen characters in tournament. Would you say anymore that this character should be #1 ???

So we have to weight some match-ups more than others and that is exactly what makes the most of the tier list.

MK defeats everyone. Snake defeats nearly everyone, but 2-3. Wario goes even with almost everyone, some very low character do have Weird grab release chains on him but this doesnt matter that much, because these characters arent tournament characters anyway (Btw we know Wario can get greatly around grabs...) and a lot of people think Wario could overtake Snake in future because his better Match-Ups against the higher tiered characters (with exception marth, but Snake has MK / DDD / Olimar and goes even with Pikachu / Diddy / Falco... and pls nobody comes now and says "XY is even / adventage" or something, everyone knows the match-ups are still in process <,<).

I think you got the point why a tier list can not be ONLY based on match-ups, we have at least to weight them to get exactlable results.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
The problem is:

If you base a tier list only on Match-Ups a tournament unviable Character could be #1

Example:

Think of a character that defeats everyone here:
A: Marth, Mr. Game & Watch, Pikachu, Olimar, Ice Climbers, R.O.B., Kirby
B: Lucario, Zero Suit Samus, Toon Link, Pit, Donkey Kong
C: Peach, Luigi, Fox, Wolf, Sonic, Sheik
D: Bowser, Zelda, Pokémon Trainer, Ike
E: Lucas, Mario, Ness, Yoshi, Samus
F: Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Link, Ganondorf

With 90:10 to 100:0

But loses to:
S: Meta Knight, Snake, Wario, Falco, Diddy Kong, King Dedede
10:90 to 0:100

The so said Character would have AN AWESOME match-up average but loses to most seen characters in tournament. Would you say anymore that this character should be #1 ???

So we have to weight some match-ups more than others and that is exactly what makes the most of the tier list.

MK defeats everyone. Snake defeats nearly everyone, but 2-3. Wario goes even with almost everyone, some very low character do have Weird grab release chains on him but this doesn't matter that much, because these characters aren't tournament characters anyway (Btw we know Wario can get greatly around grabs...) and a lot of people think Wario could overtake Snake in future because his better Match-Ups against the higher tiered characters (with exception marth, but Snake has MK / DDD / Olimar and goes even with Pikachu / Diddy / Falco... and pls nobody comes now and says "XY is even / adventage" or something, everyone knows the match-ups are still in process <,<).

I think you got the point why a tier list can not be ONLY based on match-ups, we have at least to weight them to get exactlable results.
The example character you've given would be an extremely viable character, for CPing everybody besides S class characters, but yes, I see your point.

Grats on giving the best argument in this thread.

If it was 90:10 against all those characters, and 10:90 against the current S class characters, his rating would be 2850. 2440 would be MK's rating, if the current matchup theory was statistically accurate.

On one hand though, if there were a character with that good a matchup against that much of the cast, they really would be a "must know how to play" character, as it would lead to practically free wins against all but 7 characters.

If you lost the first match in a set, and you know how to play the example character given, your opponent would HAVE to pick one of the magic 6 to stand a chance of winning. And if they know how to play the example character, you would then again have to play one of the magic 6 or else you would lose the final match of the set for free.

So what do you think? Would that kind of character deserve the top spot, for being a practical required alt? Forcing people to play 7 characters in the second match of every single set is a pretty good reason to play that character.

(You won't win the final match with him, but you have to learn him anyway).

Again, great reply Master; easily the best in this thread.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
Characters in Brawl don't make up the match-ups

The people do.
Suppose you're equally skilled at using an X-Bow as you are using a shotgun and a sniper rifle. You've had an equal amount of training in all three, and are a crackshot with all of them. You know how to clean them and handle them all very well.

You're standing in a 10 by 20 foot hallway with somebody that's going to try and kill you. He has a X-Bow. To your right, you see a loaded shotgun. To your left, you see a single shot scoped sniper rifle with some spare bullets. Behind you, you see a X-Bow. Which do you choose?

You're standing in the center of an open football field. At one of the goal lines, there is a man who is going to try and kill you. He has a X-Bow. To your right, you see a loaded shotgun. To your left, you see a single shot scoped sniper rifle with some spare bullets. Behind you, you see a X-bow. Which do you choose?

Not every character is going to be equally suitable for every situation and when your opponent chooses a different character this changes your situation.

Suppose your opponent switches to a sniper rifle. Now which do you choose in those situations? In the hallway, picking the X-Bow is probably a viable choice, even if it's not the best one. In the field, you had **** well better choose the sniper rifle if you think he's a good shot.

Seriously, the concept of matchups is simple. In SSBB, the matchups aren't as extreme as they are in the above examples, but character X simply IS better or worse than character Y in terms of utility at dealing with character Z.

I'll say it again: A character's utility in dealing with other characters is what makes them good.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
No, a character's utility in dealing with EVERY character makes them good.

Marth for example beats or goes even with all but three characters, and ONE character (MK) makes him inviable.

Top Bottom