• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should there be bimonthly tourneys for melee in CFL (poll)???

How do you feel about having bimonthly melee tourneys in CFL???

• Total voters

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was talking to Sheer, who was discussing with dguy, concerning the idea of having bimonthly melee tourneys. There seems to be a large enough interest in melee for tourneys to be held semi often AKA bimonthly. Sheer's suggestion is that we have all Brawl gigabits one month, and then the next a brawl/melee combo tourney. At this tourney though it would be brawl singles and melee singles. Some feel that only melee tourneys won't draw enough interest. Maybe if we do this idea and the melee singles does draw enough interest, THEN we could work towards all melee tourneys again (bimonthly of course). Or if there is enough interest and gigs agrees, we could have all melee tourneys right off the bat. This is why you should voice your opinion!!!

So basically vote on what you think concerning bimonthly melee tourneys!!!

If you have other suggestions concerning this idea, how often we should have them, what format if we do have them, etc. then please speak up!!!

Oh and you can only vote once (on one option unlike other polls) so please don't pick the last one just because it's funny, but end up actually wanting one of the other ones (I want this to be accurate)!!!

:colorful:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I'm just not sure an all melee tourney would draw enough interest anymore.

I think a combination tourney could work to the advantage of both games too. People who would never go to a brawl tourney (derf/exarch) might be willing to give brawl a try. And all the new brawl players might be willing to give melee a try.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
We should definitely continue doing Melee tournaments in CFL. Whichever format gets the most attendance is what we should use. I enjoy both singles and doubles in Melee, so I think we should try and work towards that. At first we probably will have to have Melee and Brawl tourneys in the same building on the same day to ensure attendance. I do like the idea of doing Brawl one month, then Melee/Brawl the next.

Frames

DI
I don't see why not, a lot of people have put time into melee, so there's no reason why it should just stop. If people want to keep doing melee tournaments, that's fine, every other month is good, but doubles in melee is fun so you should keep that.

Also, how much would these tournaments run, some people may not be willing to pay 15 or so anymore. Just a thought. :colorful:

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh truuuu, I can make another topic if enough people like the idea of bimonthly melee tourneys and Mwarhead agrees to the idea!!!

I'd have that topic be about how much it should cost for the melee tourneys!!!

:colorful:

derf

Smash Ace
yea when i made my poll (without brooomer poll powers) i thought about the possibility of melee only tournies. its not that i think melee only tournies wouldnt have any interest, but rather that brawl tournies have godly attendance right now because the game is so new/the influx of n00bs. i mean hard knocks had >100 people. when did ANY melee tourney have that many people? most of these people would enter brawl doubles too. so thats money gigs would lose compared to brawl singles/melee singles only.

so ill vote "yes" b/c i REALLY want melee tournies, but im ignoring the logistics of how this works from a time perspective. certainly combo singles only is a possibility, but like i said, gigs is losing money that way. in a couple months, when the newbies vanish, a brawl doubles/brawl singles/melee singles tourney may work, but right now i think its up to smashers themselves (like manko, linguini, and prac) to hold melee tournies :/

on a side note, because of the attendance, having pools at gigs right now (not that i'm going) is a horrible, horrible idea.

OTRU...

Smash Champion
I completely agree with derf, im down for melee and brawl in one tourney, but i dunno if its convenient for gigz, due to brawl's high demand.

I think it would be pretty cool if we could organize these events on UCF campus since we finally have the gaming club. It could be like a $5 buy in for each event. Just an idea, I dunno if its good or not.

EDIT: fred why are pools such a bad idea, wouldn't that be faster than a huge bracket?

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
I don't mind because I was an average Melee player. I might play and might not, but I guess if the pot gets high enough, I will join.

Equi

Smash Ace
Sick of Melee. And I did play somewhat competitively. I respect that other people still want to play it, but the game has beaten like a dead horse for me. I'm just plain tired of it. Brawl will become competitive, it has more depth than people give it credit for, not nearly as much as Melee, but still.

Going back to Melee will distact my newly found Brawl skills, IMO. I do still love Melee, but playing both games at the same time messes up my timing. I just can't stand concentrating on two games at once, call me a wimp, but I just don't want to do that for tournaments. But yeah. Good luck to everyone that goes back to Melee.

Everyone should just move on with one game or Florida is going to be left behind again.

derf

Smash Ace
I completely agree with derf, im down for melee and brawl in one tourney, but i dunno if its convenient for gigz, due to brawl's high demand.

I think it would be pretty cool if we could organize these events on UCF campus since we finally have the gaming club. It could be like a $5 buy in for each event. Just an idea, I dunno if its good or not.
thats a great idea man. i could see myself driving to orlando on a monthly basis

EDIT: fred why are pools such a bad idea, wouldn't that be faster than a huge bracket?
if youve got a 100 man tourney, and say 10 pools, then each pool has 10 people. each pool then plays 9+8+7+...+2+1 = 45 matches (handshaking lemma for you fellow math dorks). 45 matches/pool * 10 pools = 450 total matches before brackets even start.

if say you have 130 people and 10 pools, thats 780 matches before brackets start.

edit: so it occurs to me what i said earlier could be misleading. you could decrease the total number of matches by having a ton of tiny pools. for instance, 25 4-man pools adds 25*6 = 125 total matches, which is about in line with the total number of pool matches for a 40 man melee tourney with 5 pools (140). so basically, you could have pools if you want 4 person pools. its just that seems to me like it defeats the purpose of pools which is to have a safeguard against getting bracked-****ed. i mean now you'll randomly have a 4 person pool with skrach, icekid, and that DDD ****-machine where only 1 person gets out

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
Why is Derf so smart?

Oh, and...

Stop whining because you lose in Brawl, nubs.

Finch

Smash Lord
Brawl singles are boring as hell. I probably wouldn't even enter at a both tournament. But I don't want to say only Brawl doubles or melee only.

In any case, we really need to do melee tournaments.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
I think this is a great idea. We should continue to have some Melee tourneys. Brawl would be good too to attract and get another crowd of gamers interested in attending the tourneys.

Mwarhead

Smash Journeyman
I will take a poll when singles are starting this tournament.

We can certainly hold separate melee events. We may even be willing to host both in one day, but that all depends on how long Brawl Tourneys take - which is why for the first Brawl tournament (not being sure how many setups we will get) we will hold off on it for now.

Top Bottom