• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Melee's Top Tiers Stay Untouchable Through this Critical Turning Point in Project M's Life?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I've recently had a little debate on the Smash Bros. sub-reddit about Project M's balance under my handle on that site, u/newaythewind, which has compelled me to start this thread.

Since I saw the PMDT's October 18th blog post on design philosophy, I've had a burst of hope for Project M going forward. If the fundamental design philosophy underlying Project M's balance is subject to change, then most of 3.0's moderate issues are liable to disappear. Moreover, talk about adding depth has me downright salivating. Fortunate as all of this may be, it spurs discussion about a quirk the PMDT have abode since their inception, and that is their largely unwavering preservation of Melee's top tier characters in Fox, Falco, Marth, and Sheik. The persistence of this approach is relevant to what the PMDT have forwarded in their recent blog post. Practically, subjecting Melee's top tier characters to (the possibility of) fine tuning promotes integral balance, and more broadly, furthers the identity of Project M. No doubt, these are two objectives that resonate with a progressive design philosophy. This discussion is prime for this moment because Project M is both far from complete and apparently a sleeping contestant in the sweeping battle between Melee and Smash 4. If Project M is to find its self, now is the time we the community can help it the most.

Yes, most of Melee's top tier characters aren't top tier in Project M, but that's an inadequate argument for their preservation. Most of the heavily adjusted characters who have skyrocketed in viability through the course of 3.0's meta-game development are broken in at least one sense of the word. On the one hand we have characters with exceptionally strong basic utility - see Lucas, Mewtwo - and on the other hand we have characters who are unsatisfying to succeed with - see Link, Zelda. These aforementioned characters are at least better than some of Melee's top tier characters, but they are accordingly problematic. As I see it, most of Project M's issues are a trickle down product of preserving Melee's top tier characters. Since balance is slanted upward instead of inward, the domain of novel changes the PMDT can use to improve the rest of the cast is inherently smaller. Thus, we see engine-shattering strengths and scripted tools to drive viability. If these core characters are subjected to honest scrutiny, I imagine they'd receive changes, I imagine the rest of the cast would have to be less powerful, and I'm sure balance would benefit overall.

Yet, there is a subjective reason to preserve Melee's top tier characters, and that reason is obviously the players. Even subtle changes to a beloved character like Fox can understandably dishearten longtime Melee players. Nevertheless, now is the time to examine the reward for eschewing utter devotion to the whims of the die hard. Since the Smash 4 scene is actively scoring new players and the Melee scene is harbouring most of the old-school fans, Project M is presently able to make a name for its self as the premier competitive Smash title. I propose this niche is vital for the long term survival of Project M, lest PM forever play second fiddle to Melee. As an unexpected turn of events, I maintain that deeply interested Melee players will eventually convert to PM should it prove it can be better than Melee. Melee's meta is exponentially stagnating, and when it comes to a halt, Project M should be ready to receive migrating members from its bordering sub-community.

Now is when Project M can become more than just Melee within Brawl, it can be the sequel Brawl never was. Growing pains would radiate from head to toe if this approach is taken. For example, how can the PMDT keep Fox equally technical if they nerf his shine? Maybe they can, that's a design challenge. Maybe they just have to make him satisfying in some other way, that's a design challenge. Maybe Fox doesn't have to be nerfed at all, but honestly examining him is, you guessed it, a design challenge. It could take many iterations before something sticks, and that's just a fact about balancing so many variables. For Project M to come into its own it has to weather these difficulties. Since we'll probably never get another competitive Smash game from Nintendo, the burden rests on the community's shoulders to forward the competitive side of Smash. Crucial to any progress would be an honest examination of the familiar core. Thus, the PMDT should open the books on every character. If they want to genuinely abide by the blog they recently posted, I think they have to do this.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post was made by Canon on page 3 of this thread. I think it's a really convincing argument, so I've elected to add it to the OP.

every single horrible top tier in every version, from ivy to sonic, had their brokenness caused almost entirely from having tools against spacies

this is because when your options outbeat a space animal's, they will outbeat everyone else in the damn game, because fox doesn't have average tools, he has amazing, sometimes completely flawless tools. for christ sake, he has a projectile that covers an entire horizontal area and can be spammed without lag by shorthopping them. he has all the mobility in the world, yet he can just use it to keep away, forcing everyone else to approach for him by slowly pushing up damage with, again, a projectile that covers everything horizontally within a half-second

so then you get characters who can beat out lasers, right? maybe they're mobile enough to get around it like MK or sonic, maybe they just go right through them head-on like bowser's armor or mewtwo's teleport. except, whoops, now you made those characters effectively immune to EVERY OTHER PROJECTILE IN THE GAME, because if they can deal with lasers, a slow fireball or leaf blade don't mean a damn thing to them, since lasers are twice the effectiveness mario's neutralb ever could be, ending lag be damned

the unwillingness to actually fix these characters, instead just trying to build up balance around their instability, is exactly the cause of the toxicity of some characters people despise so much

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
but if we change fox and falco how will all the melee players who think PM sucks anyway because fox and falco are ever so slightly different continue to enjoy PM? ? ?

Zolom

Smash Apprentice
Terrifically well said. Will likely edit response when I have more time.

For now, I thoroughly enjoyed this, and encapsulated much of why I personally aimed to invest a lot of time and work into PM. I am confident it has the potential to the premier Smash title, given time and a lot of work. Well done!

skellitorman

Smash Journeyman
I doubt that Fox and Falco will not have their balance addressed eventually. It only makes sense, according to the PMDT goals, that they will be. I do agree that this patch is the perfect patch to do that, but either way, 3.5 will be awesome.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I do not think Melee top tiers should be changed majorly. Subtle changes. Removing invincibility off Fox/Falco's shine was a good thing to do. Removing Sheik's CG would have been good, if the PMBR didn't give it to other characters. Allowing Falcon to grab the ledge out of Raptor Boost was good. Allowing Ganondorf to waveland out of SH bair was good. Things like that are good.

However some characters in PM need to be adjusted to be like their Melee variants. Pikachu's throws for one thing.

Tlock

Smash Apprentice
5 of the 8 melee top tiers do not need to receive any changes in 3.5: Falco, Sheik, Marth, Peach and Falcon. These characters are viable and not toxic to the current PM metagame. Their play styles are varied and unique and need to be preserved as much as possible.

Fox needs PAL up-smash. His current up-smash is slightly over centralizing and toxic. Giving Fox PAL up smash would keep the current playstyle and metagame of Fox intact, but weakening his polarizing kill move.

Jiggs and ICs are an oddity in PM. Their play style and positive characteristics in melee did not transfer over to the PM metagame. Jiggs may be fine with the "fat" (or as I like to call toxic moves) that are being trimmed in 3.5 as well as the recovery nerfs. It may be a good idea to give her an additional move in the place of sing if she does need some more help to be viable in 3.5. I can't speak for what ICs need. They seem to be "broke" in 3.02. They have a very unique playstyle in melee and it needs to be conserved as much as possible going forward.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I am of the opinion that Fox and Falco need the invincibility and laser damage back. Those two can be comboed to death so easily. They are not over whelming or broken and I can't believe people still go on about them as if they are.

I also don't want to beat the top tiers because they are not as good as they were before. I want to be them because I am the better player. Much more satisfying victory.

Boiko

:drshrug:
Fox's usmash is way too strong, fast, and easy to combo into imo. Other than that, I think that most top tier melee characters are fine. Oh, besides Marth, he's bad.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
I do not think Melee top tiers should be changed majorly. Subtle changes. Removing invincibility off Fox/Falco's shine was a good thing to do. Removing Sheik's CG would have been good, if the PMBR didn't give it to other characters. Allowing Falcon to grab the ledge out of Raptor Boost was good. Allowing Ganondorf to waveland out of SH bair was good. Things like that are good.

However some characters in PM need to be adjusted to be like their Melee variants. Pikachu's throws for one thing.
Last I checked, quite a few of the throws were "nerfed" do to the positioning of throw releases in vBrawl, though I could be totally wrong and if so I'd like some correction.

Edit: @ Celestis Celestis , I for one don't think that's the best thing to add back in, Fox and Falco remain a dominating force even without those assets to shine and laser. If Fox and Falco were ever buffed from 3.0 *chortle*, those too aspects would not be the go to solution IMO. Fox's kill moves easily capitalize on knock back scaling, particularly up smash, so giving him a damage tool that makes it vital for the opponent to approach that shine demon who contains a one two kill combo out of an invincable move may be pushing the envelope.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Last I checked, quite a few of the throws were "nerfed" do to the positioning of throw releases in vBrawl, though I could be totally wrong and if so I'd like some correction.

Edit: @ Celestis Celestis , I for one don't think that's the best thing to add back in, Fox and Falco remain a dominating force even without those assets to shine and laser. If Fox and Falco were ever buffed from 3.0 *chortle*, those too aspects would not be the go to solution IMO. Fox's kill moves easily capitalize on knock back scaling, particularly up smash, so giving him a damage tool that makes it vital for the opponent to approach that shine demon who contains a one two kill combo out of an invincable move may be pushing the envelope.
I disagree with this. There are two Foxes. Mew2King and DEHF. Both play the character in Melee.
There are like no Falcos.

IDK why PM players complain about spacies still. They're nerfed first off. Second off your character likely has been buffed in various areas so they're able to 0-death spacies. Third y'all need to realize that nerfing Fox's up smash will likely throw him in mid tier. If anything Fox mains should be complaining that their character has like 2 kill set ups (one doesn't even work on half the cast because everyone is so floaty), but
Ness has PK fire anything/dthrow anything/dair anything
Mewtwo has Hover air anything/fair anything/dtilt anything/up tilt anything
Sonic has Down B anything (and this move is the freeest approach in the game)
Lucas has everything into anything

Spacies dont need more nerfs. Y'all just suck and need to get better. And this is coming from a non spacie main.

cmart

Smash Lord
@ victinivcreate1 victinivcreate1 Whatever changes may or may not be coming, your arguement is an example of looking at 3.5 through 3.02, in addition to using a fair bit of hyperbole. To reiterate:
"Our overview of the cast is a global one, and characters will receive due consideration regardless of current perceptions of their viability. As such, it is important to consider your character's changes within the scope of our goals for version 3.5, as opposed to viewing their changes in a 3.02 vacuum."

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
@ victinivcreate1 victinivcreate1 Whatever changes may or may not be coming, your arguement is an example of looking at 3.5 through 3.02, in addition to using a fair bit of hyperbole. To reiterate:
"Our overview of the cast is a global one, and characters will receive due consideration regardless of current perceptions of their viability. As such, it is important to consider your character's changes within the scope of our goals for version 3.5, as opposed to viewing their changes in a 3.02 vacuum."
Eh true.
Spacies still don't need nerfs though. None of the Melee top tiers do.

Boiko

:drshrug:
I disagree with this. There are two Foxes. Mew2King and DEHF. Both play the character in Melee.

IDK why PM players complain about spacies still. They're nerfed first off. Second off your character likely has been buffed in various areas so they're able to 0-death spacies. Third y'all need to realize that nerfing Fox's up smash will likely throw him in mid tier. If anything Fox mains should be complaining that their character has like 2 kill set ups (one doesn't even work on half the cast because everyone is so floaty), but

Spacies dont need more nerfs. Y'all just suck and need to get better. And this is coming from a non spacie main.
smh at this post. So fallacious...besides Lucas, lolol.

Exodo

Smash Ace
Im looking foward for ALLLLLLL the changes!!!! Changes are good especially universal ones(when many characters are touched)!!

Also hoping Sheik and Zelda will be getting a unique "PM exclusive" down B!!!

Bazkip

Smash Master

Are you implying that those are things that everybody thinks are fine? Cause people complain about those a ton too lol.

Ridiculous things should not be allowed to stay in on the basis of there's also plenty of other ridiculous things. They should all be looked at, and all be toned down/tweaked if need be.

Bleck

Smash Master
"Our overview of the cast is a global one, and characters will receive due consideration regardless of current perceptions of their viability."
so does that mean you're nerfing the spacies

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Third y'all need to realize that nerfing Fox's up smash will likely throw him in mid tier.
PAL Fox says otherwise. And especially with everyone up top getting the nerf bat along with the major changes to have less braindead combos (UTilt x 5 and DThrow x 5 and such), he'd just be following suit.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Hold up.

Aren't Melee characters supposed to feel like their Melee variants but slightly nerfed (or buffed if you were bad)?

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Pal fox is the more balanced version of melee fox, no one should be complaining about it

Also if they revert him to pal Fox I want to see them nerf his uair as well

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I'm still confused.

Our mains have been buffed, spacies have been nerfed, there are like 3 spacies users who only use thembecause Melee fundamentals (I mean even LEFFEN doesn't use Fox in PM< he uses ZSS and Mewtwo), and yet we're STILL complaining about Fox and Falco (well really just Fox who I'd argue is worse than Falco because none of us are TAS level, but it doesn't require TAS level skill to be great with Falco).

Celestis

Smash Ace
PAL Fox would kill fox. PAL Fox might do alright in the game. but this is not PAL Melee, this is PM.

Last edited:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I am confident when I say the biggest draw to melee for melee players are the spacies.

They're fragile, everyone can combo them, gimp them, and edgeguard them, but at the same time they can still win because they have the tools to do so despite their fragility. This is one of the biggest reasons Melee is so successful.

Keep spacies the way they are, so that the PM cast can still perform exciting combos and edgeguards on them, but they're strong enough to still be viable at a high level to compensate. Spacies are glass canon, especially so in PM where the punishes by many characters are much more significant than they were in the context of Melee.

Also, consider how strong the top melee characters were in the context of melee and how absolutely outclassed they are in PM while remaining generally unchanged (Sheik, Marth, Peach, ICs, Jiggs, Falco).

Last edited:

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
It may be a good idea to give her an additional move in the place of sing if she does need some more help to be viable in 3.5.
Keep your sick meaty hands off of my sing. It ledgecancels backwards.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Fox nerfs are being brought up because everyone's getting changes across the board to make certain elements less over the top. The context here is important. We're not talking about 3.02.

Pharo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pharaohh
I don't think melee top tier characters should be touched... They need to be preserved for what they are and mean to long time melee players. What changes they have made already to the melee crew is great imo. I am by no means a melee player either, I'm a scrub at melee and play PM most the time but I like being able to play PM and convert a lot of stuff over because the characters are very similar (I think melee to PM players might feel the same)

If they do touch them, I hope its very minor. people say foxes up smash needs nerfed but I don't see why, that would destroy him as a character.

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
I'm still confused.

Our mains have been buffed, spacies have been nerfed, there are like 3 spacies users who only use thembecause Melee fundamentals (I mean even LEFFEN doesn't use Fox in PM< he uses ZSS and Mewtwo), and yet we're STILL complaining about Fox and Falco (well really just Fox who I'd argue is worse than Falco because none of us are TAS level, but it doesn't require TAS level skill to be great with Falco).
It really feels like you're disagreeing just to disagree. :|
You continue to base arguments based on who uses it and what tier they are in, when I thought the idea behind project M and making all characters "viable" is to make everyone feel as strong as each other-- to practically remove the tierlist. I like that idea. If space animals aren't fitting the bill, I don't care if they're changed.

That's from an outside-looking-in viewpoint.

Be more objective about it.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
It's nitpicking at this point in time, but Melee characters still all received a few changes by default :
-Dacus (at least Falco's got a gatling combo, idk about the others)
-b reverse
-pivot grabs
-footstools
-shorter ledge occupancy
-changes to move staling
-grab armor
-that physics thing I've been reading about but never really understood

Some of which are buffs (new options), some of which are neutral (they profit from the lower ledge occupancy which lets them recover better, but at the same time they aren't able to edgeguard as easily either).
So yeah it's not like they only got nerfs. I've yet to see any Falco other than me do a footstool shine on a shielding opponent and it hurts my feelings.

edit : oh, 2500 posts, I really do spend way too much time on this forum.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Wait,what was PM based off again?
Brawl. :D If you want to be completely technical. Porting Melee Falco to Brawl if you want to be more exact. It blossomed from there.

In any case, the game is not trying to be Melee. It is it's own beast and it has been said repeatedly by devs that it is not called Project Melee, it's Project M.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
The game is heavily based off of Melee.

Except for, you know, the part where Project M is designed to have a balanced cast of characters.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
It's nitpicking at this point in time, but Melee characters still all received a few changes by default :
-Dacus (at least Falco's got a gatling combo, idk about the others)
-b reverse
-pivot grabs
-footstools
-shorter ledge occupancy
-changes to move staling
-that physics thing I've been reading about but never really understood

Some of which are buffs (new options), some of which are neutral (they profit from the lower ledge occupancy which lets them recover better, but at the same time they aren't able to edgeguard as easily either).
So yeah it's not like they only got nerfs. I've yet to see any Falco other than me do a footstool shine on a shielding opponent and it hurts my feelings.

edit : oh, 2500 posts, I really do spend way too much time on this forum.
Footstools are nice, but they're so underutilized due to the Melee players not knowing, and the input being so awkward to perform.

Marth's DACUS is useless, and when is Falco ever going to want to up smash? Peach's DACUS is nice, but she was 6th in Melee without it, so it doesn't do much for her anyway.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Damn Teneban, you forgot to mention RAR/Dash Turn Jump which is an amazing tool for Fox and Falco both.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
The game is heavily based off of Melee.

Except for, you know, the part where Project M is designed to have a balanced cast of characters.
I'd say it's more of a combination of the good parts of Melee and Brawl really. Just happens that Melee had a little more of value to draw from when crafting a competitive game.

Top Bottom