• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Melee's Top Tiers Stay Untouchable Through this Critical Turning Point in Project M's Life?

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Just give characters less combo starters/less overpowering ones. I mean Lucas has like 6 starters, Pit has like 5 etc.

In comparison, Mewtwo has like 3. Not saying he isn't jank (he's VERY jank) but these guys have wayyyy more than he does.

Either way they all should be fixed.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
I think what's really funny is that once some of these characters are "fixed" the whole community is just gonna find another 2 characters to ***** and moan about. The cycle NEVER ends on ANY game that's known to get any kind patches. Mark my words: Armada will win a tournament about a month after the release of 3.5, then everyone will instantly cry for nerfs for the character he picks.
It isn't so much nerfing specific characters that most here are arguing for but an entirely new attitude towards balancing the game that might require changes in movesets rather than balancing around them.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
It isn't so much nerfing specific characters that most here are arguing for but an entirely new attitude towards balancing the game that might require changes in movesets rather than balancing around them.
That's what "fixed" is referring to mostly. Nerf is the word people will use when someone wins a tournament.

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
That's what "fixed" is referring to mostly. Nerf is the word people will use when someone wins a tournament.
But the point is, we aren't talking about nerfing or adjusting movesets just because they win at tournaments. It's because by keeping movesets sacred and working around them, it warps rather than balances leading to the problems in the first place.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
IMO what should be done to Pit in 3.5

-Dthrow shenanigans fixed
-other stuff

And that's all I can recommend without overnerfing the character.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
One of the big things that scares me about 3.5 is how little people know Kirby's overall design is one of the worst, and wont get to be made better since it could be seen as perfectly fine, or just okay if you fix a few things. Puffs overall design is much better than Kirby's, Kirby may be better balance wise but its because of his bad design. Dash Attack/Suicide Stock the character is very similar to a slow Sonic (in that Dash Attack is just as polarizing as Spin Shot but worse, and the character is carried by their design) with a much worse moveset, bad mobility, dies earlier, less range, rock is basically MK's dair with more combo potential, and heavily relies on a very mobile relatively low endlag infinite command grab that can kill people at 0% with an edgeguard if needed... basically an aerial wobble. Like wtf is this character lol!? If spamming dash attack until you have the stock lead and then kirbyciding all remaining stocks is a viable strategy, you know somethings very wrong.

Puff just has a below-average moveset, a few really good moves, a few "useless" moves, a lacking ground game, and a very punishable if missed move that kills around 30%, but still relatively close to a fundamental based character which we want. Prob a few more things im forgetting. Dont get me wrong, her design is definitely not something to praise, just sayin its not as bad as people seem to make it since there are characters with much worse designs.
Chudat doesn't even use his dash attack and he's still amazing. And his rock is definetly not better than MK's dair lol And Kirby's inhale is not so bad. It's not like wobbling because IDK HE KILLS HIMSELF TOO. Kirby is not a bad character by any means or at least nowhere near the level of Puff. Puff literally has the ****tiest moveset in PM with 2-3 really viable moves depending on who you ask. The only thing about her that holds a candle to the rest of the cast is Rest and its polarizing as hell. If any other character had Rest, they'd be broken as crap because Rest IS broken as crap. It only "seems" like good design because its on a crap character. Kirby is like Puff without Rest, so I'd imagine he'd be balanced to stand his own, and a lot better in 3.5 with the recovery nerfs. I never thought Kirby's dash attack was that good anyway lol
IMO what should be done to Pit in 3.5

-Dthrow shenanigans fixed
-other stuff

And that's all I can recommend without overnerfing the character.
Sorry to tell you but according to the recent design blogposts, Pit is gonna get hit really hard. Recovery, cooldowns, his side b, etc. Leave it to ZeRo to get another top tier nerfed kappa

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Nvm, this isnt the place for this lol.

Last edited:

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Warning Received
A dumb thread/19 pages of pointless natter later and you just figured that out?
The title question was answered on the first page, IIRC. The answer was no.

Why is this still open?

Last edited:

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Spacies are hilariously not as strong in P:M.

I tried doing some awesome 20XX shine combos vs a ROB.
If you play rob, you know how that ended.

Pits down throw gets a follow up on like all kinds of DI, that should get fixed.

And fix mario pls too

Last edited:
Top Bottom