• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should Custom Mii's Be Seprated From Fighter Customs?

Would you allow Custom Mii's in a non-custom tournament?

• Total voters

Peppermint1201

Smash Journeyman
NNID
orangeguy1201
3DS FC
0361-7301-1534
Seriously though, Logistics for now. Customs are way too much work for the TO and the player. If Nintendo implements some sort of patch or DLC that unlocks all customs automatically, I'll warm up to the idea a little more.

For now though, Anti customs guy going to bed.
I agree. I don't want this to turn into a customs on/customs off debate but I, despite being pro-mii, am in the customs off camp atm since they will likely hurt our game in the long run and they throw accessibility completely out of the window.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It's not a fair experience if Mii mains have to play a gimped version of their character especially when the game allows it in all modes minus For Glory. If you're not opposed to sets other than 1111, I don't see the issue in letting them just use all of them, there's very little Mii mains, the majority of them use similar sets when using EVO sets. Just let it rock unless major issues arise. If the issue is just not wanting to learn how to fight more specials, that's a very weak argument.

I agree, but, I also don't think restricting a character when the game allows it is a good way to make a ruleset though.
Again, I'm opposed to having multiple sets moreso than I am opposed to not using 1111. Like, I think 1111 should be the standard. Would I pack up and quit if something else was standard? Not at all. I just think it isn't fair if three characters are allowed more movesets than the rest of the cast. Most characters are worse off without their customs, but that doesn't mean I should make customs legal on my rules.

I'm already restricting the game by not allowing customs in the first place. I'm simply explicitly stating that Miis are included in this rule.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Saying stuff about viability or 'offending Mii Fighter mains' is totally invalid and irrelevant. We are not concerned with how viable the characters are. Not one bit. Guess what, there are players who play Lightweight Palutena, who is a totally different character than normal Palutena. We aren't making concessions to the 'poor Palutena mains' either.
You missed the point.

If you say in your post that you're legalizing 1111 because you don't want to screw over Mii Fighter mains, then I feel that saying "Mii Fighter mains prefer to have the character banned over having a garbage standardization you created because you're a bad TO" is a perfectly fine response.

If I were arguing for Mii Fighters allowed to have their moves, it's really as simple as saying "Mii Fighters are allowed to use their default", which is every move. It's not even a debate, really. TO's just have to realize that America is behind on the Mii Fighter legalization train. Gotta get up to speed with Japan and (some of) Europe.

If I accommodated every player that felt offended by my ruleset, I'd be a horrible TO.
If you're adding a rule into your ruleset specifically to screw over Mii mains and then say it's an attempt to not "shaft Mii Fighter mains", then you're already on the road to being a bad TO.

CursedJay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CursedJay2
Yeah, you could just imagine how much of a slap in the face it is when you invent a character's metagame, everybody copies off of you, you are the only mii brawler that is successful in tournament, the game allows you to use your character. But then they tell you to use 1111 only because lol **** you. Oh and we wont give you custom moves either, or anything.

Just, **** you Dapuffster for everything you contributed.
Yeah, I can imagine how something like that would offend you. I have no problem allowing Mii customs because they arent a pain in the ass to get and you can run them instantly on any system.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Yeah, you could just imagine how much of a slap in the face it is when you invent a character's metagame, everybody copies off of you, you are the only mii brawler that is successful in tournament, the game allows you to use your character. But then they tell you to use 1111 only because lol **** you. Oh and we wont give you custom moves either, or anything.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I've met you at Hitbox and had no problems with you, but I don't think putting in work on a character should mean that you should be allowed to play it. You invented Mii brawler, sure. It's still a custom set you're using though (in my opinion, of course). If I had a customs tourney, I'd have no problem with you playing 2122 Brawler. But if I ran a non-customs tourney, you'll have to play 1111.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
Again, I'm opposed to having multiple sets moreso than I am opposed to not using 1111. Like, I think 1111 should be the standard. Would I pack up and quit if something else was standard? Not at all. I just think it isn't fair if three characters are allowed more movesets than the rest of the cast. Most characters are worse off without their customs, but that doesn't mean I should make customs legal on my rules.

I'm already restricting the game by not allowing customs in the first place. I'm simply explicitly stating that Miis are included in this rule.
Right, but the difference is that the game allows an exception to Miis, it does not provide an exception to other characters. Palutena is definitely worse without customs and she even has the benefit of all her customs being unlocked from the start!

I don't think you should go against in-game logic unless it's harmful to the meta. It screws over Mii mainers for an arbitrary rule that isn't present in-game. I'd have a different opinion if Miis took forever to make or if Miis were broken.

Thanks for what you contributed to the Mii meta. I usually don't post much on Smashboards despite being on here awhile, but I felt the need to speak up since I love using and seeing the Miis in competitive play.

Last edited:

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Because I have already spoken my stance to others before you. And they respond without the intent of belittling the person, unlike you.
Do you wish to take this string to PMs?

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
If you're adding a rule into your ruleset specifically to screw over Mii mains and then say it's an attempt to not "shaft Mii Fighter mains", then you're already on the road to being a bad TO.
You could say banning customs screws over lots of characters too. Thanks for your input I guess, but I'm not going to allow an exception to a rule because it hurts the feelings of some players. If you don't like your character without customs at a non-customs tournament, use a different character or don't play.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Right, but the difference is that the game allows an exception to Miis, it does not provide an exception to other characters. Palutena is definitely worse without customs and she even has the benefit of all her customs being unlocked from the start!

I don't think you should go against in-game logic unless it's harmful to the meta. It screws over Mii mainers for an arbitrary rule that isn't present in-game. I'd have a different opinion if Miis took forever to make or if Miis were broken.
I respect your opinion on the matter, but I personally don't care about if the game allows it. Items are unfair so we ban them. Some stages are unfair so we ban them. Having 9 possible movesets in a non-custom environment is unfair so I'll ban it.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I'm sorry you feel that way. I've met you at Hitbox and had no problems with you, but I don't think putting in work on a character should mean that you should be allowed to play it. You invented Mii brawler, sure. It's still a custom set you're using though (in my opinion, of course). If I had a customs tourney, I'd have no problem with you playing 2122 Brawler. But if I ran a non-customs tourney, you'll have to play 1111.
Well, I do hope that you understand that if that were the case and I came to one of your non-customs tournaments. I'd ask all the tournament participants first to see if they were okay with me using 2122 Mii brawler. If the majority voted yes. I'd use it regardless of your rules. Then you'd have to kick me out.

I dealt with cancer, I can deal with you/

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well, I do hope that you understand that if that were the case and I came to one of your non-customs tournaments. I'd ask all the tournament participants first to see if they were okay with me using 2122 Mii brawler. If the majority voted yes. I'd use it regardless of your rules. Then you'd have to kick me out.

I dealt with cancer, I can deal with you/
I'm sorry you feel that way. Unfortunately, players do not override the TO and you'd be DQ'd for using a custom moveset.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Why are you still being that way

You said you want to be a TO but atm

Personal Views > Being a good TO

If you want to go into what isn't fair in this game we can, but we won't because that would take awhile.

There is nothing wrong with legalizing the sets and seeing what happens. Experimentation is important and listening to your players is important and ignoring how you feel personally to make a proper ruleset is important.

So far you seem to not want to do any of those. How will that make you a good TO?

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
I respect your opinion on the matter, but I personally don't care about if the game allows it. Items are unfair so we ban them. Some stages are unfair so we ban them. Having 9 possible movesets in a non-custom environment is unfair so I'll ban it.
It's not unfair though? The game allows it, and they aren't broken or harmful to the meta like certain stages and items. If it's just a simple "have more options than other characters", it's a silly reason to ban them from using their other movesets when the game allows the exception. Is allowing 9 or more possible movesets for Miis harmful? I don't think so. Plus you can't just ban things if they are unfair, they have to be harmful to the meta like say Order Tackle + Amplifying Reflector in doubles prepatched.

****, you know how many things I'd ban if I just felt it was unfair? I'm originally a Marvel 3 player so you could imagine how many things I'd ban in that game if you are familiar with it.

Last edited:

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
I'm sorry you feel that way. Unfortunately, players do not override the TO and you'd be DQ'd for using a custom moveset.
I am sure the players would probably want a new TO after that

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Why are you still being that way

You said you want to be a TO but atm

Personal Views > Being a good TO

If you want to go into what isn't fair in this game we can, but we won't because that would take awhile.

There is nothing wrong with legalizing the sets and seeing what happens. Experimentation is important and listening to your players is important and ignoring how you feel personally to make a proper ruleset is important.

So far you seem to not want to do any of those. How will that make you a good TO?
Experimenting is fine. But my views are what I would make standard. If I held weeklies or biweeklies like Hitbox, I'd experiment. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of running tourneys that often. I'll have to let them do the science for me.

CursedJay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CursedJay2
A TO serves the players before anyone else, including themself. I hate customs, but if I hear a reasonable plea to allow Custom Miis and my community is willing to help, I would be happy to oblige. Keeping the players happy is my biggest concern.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Thanks, I guess. Feel free to take it to a PM if you have anything more to say on this specific matter.
Nah, that's about it. I've said what I've needed to say. You've said what you needed to say. I told you what would happen if I came to one of your tournaments and that's exactly what would happen. There's nothing more to it.

Im going to try to get some sleep now and find a different hobby.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
A TO serves the players before anyone else, including themself. I hate customs, but if I hear a reasonable plea to allow Custom Miis and my community is willing to help, I would be happy to oblige. Keeping the players happy is my biggest concern.
Sure, and I respect that. But like I said before, I don't get to run tourneys as often as somewhere like Hitbox. I don't have the luxury of experimenting and so I'll stick with what I know works and let someone else do the science on customs to work out the kinks. If they can find something that really works and doesn't seem to cause problems, I'll adopt it.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Experimenting is fine. But my views are what I would make standard. If I held weeklies or biweeklies like Hitbox, I'd experiment. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of running tourneys that often. I'll have to let them do the science for me.
Your views are your own, you shouldn't push your views on your players like that. You are the type to run a 2 stock tournament in a 3 stock region because you don't view 3 stocks as healthy to the game personally. Ignoring your players makes you a bad TO

Regardless of how often you can TO doesn't mean anything and they have also done the science for you and there have been no problems at Hitbox.

Pushing your views on others is wrong and you know that. Just because you are the TO think its best for your tournament doesn't mean its good for your players.

CursedJay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CursedJay2
Custom Mii fighters are not a logistical issue as they take very little time to actually set up. It's pretty easy to incorporate into the standard.

Custom palutena isnt a thing and will never be a thing, but the Miis I'll make an exception for.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Your views are your own, you shouldn't push your views on your players like that. You are the type to run a 2 stock tournament in a 3 stock region because you don't view 3 stocks as healthy to the game personally. Ignoring your players makes you a bad TO

Regardless of how often you can TO doesn't mean anything and they have also done the science for you and there have been no problems at Hitbox.

Pushing your views on others is wrong and you know that. Just because you are the TO think its best for your tournament doesn't mean its good for your players.
I actually like 3 stock and may end up trying it out.

Being a TO requires me to push my views on the players at times. A TO needs to be able to go against what people ask sometimes. Again, if players wanted items, I still wouldn't allow them. Not at a big tourney at least.

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
Custom Mii fighters are not a logistical issue as they take very little time to actually set up. It's pretty easy to incorporate into the standard.

Custom palutena isnt a thing and will never be a thing, but the Miis I'll make an exception for.
Like I said, Custom Palutena would be awesome to have as a thing, but there's no in-game logic to allow this. If we were to add an exception to the in-game logic, that would realistically open the doors as an argument to customs for everyone. (Which I'm also for, but a different scope for this topic)
I do not feel the same thing applies to Miis as the game provides a clear exception.

Being a TO requires me to push my views on the players at times. A TO needs to be able to go against what people ask sometimes. Again, if players wanted items, I still wouldn't allow them. Not at a big tourney at least.
Items have clear data on why they're harmful and ban worthy to the meta, I do not believe Miis have had their fair shot, not in the very least.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
And by the way, you guys aren't my players. My region is for the most part pretty opposed to customs. We don't have customs tourneys basically at all. (Don't take my first sentence as a "YOU'RE NOT MY SON!" statement, I'm just saying.)

Last edited:

CursedJay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CursedJay2
You let your perceptions of right and wrong influence your decisions. If the community wants it and its reasonable, put the responsibility on them. It not being fair shouldn't really bother you. Try to detach yourself from what you view to be wrong or right and just go with the flow sometimes. Granted if a request is silly you can just overrule it, but TOing is a public service, so I like to give the public some reasonable say in what goes on.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR

That is fine to try and push somethings but to outright ignore a majority vote on something that won't hurt your tournament at all? Not good TOing in my eyes. They say "hey Miis aren't that bad, lets let them use their sets" and you say "no because of how I personally feel and your view doesn't matter to me" and then boom end of discussion

Regardless of how your region is, idc if your region is opposed to customs. That is not important to this conversation but at this point we are all at a stand still.

From what I have gathered, the only reason Miis can't use their sets are because of personal views and that's saddening honestly.

I do appreciate all the conversations we have had from everyone in this thread but it really gone in long circles at this point/

Personally, atm, this thread has shown that the biggest reason is personal views

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
My region doesn't like customs in the first place. In my region, if I allowed custom Miis, I would be met with some resistance actually from my players. I think I was thinking in a sandbox during this discussion and I probably would allow them if a good majority specifically wanted them. I was mainly talking from a position of if I had zero opinions from anybody else and I had to make the ruleset on my own.

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
And by the way, you guys aren't my players. My region is for the most part pretty opposed to customs. We don't have customs tourneys basically at all. (Don't take my first sentence as a "YOU'RE NOT MY SON!" statement, I'm just saying.)
Also even though we aren't your players...

Just know a fellow aspiring TO, Top Player and actually Smash players who are both Mii and non Mii mains are telling you that placing your views on this is wrong. You should really take a hint and look at that

CursedJay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CursedJay2
My region doesn't like customs in the first place. In my region, if I allowed custom Miis, I would be met with some resistance actually from my players. I think I was thinking in a sandbox during this discussion and I probably would allow them if a good majority specifically wanted them. I was mainly talking from a position of if I had zero opinions from anybody else and I had to make the ruleset on my own.
Even so, I'd prep for them. They'd never necesarily be used, but at the very least I'm able to cater to the specific needs of the players.

Also, if your region doesnt like customs, theres no reason you should feel like you need to enable them. I'm just saying that if a majority of your community wants custom Miis and it's logistically reasonable, theres very little reason to refuse.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Side note, I had a thought. You know how we allow players to choose any stage as long as they agree? What about something like this:

"All Miis must use a 1111 set. You may use a custom set if your opponent agrees to it."

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
Going by the game's definitions now, yes Mii Fighters are considered and designed as custom characters, but they allow an exception to let them use all their custom moves in modes even when the Customs toggle is off.

They are not broken or terrible to manage logistically for a tournament, so I see no reason not to follow the in-game exception unless proven otherwise. Thoughts?

Especially since they allow 3 unique characters and allow Mii mains to be happy, I'd love to hear why this would be a bad thing to our meta to just allow it in, like the game does.
Also posting this again since nobody has tried to really argue this.

If you allowed Miis, I could imagine some would complain, but the majority wouldn't even use Miis anyway. /shrug

Allowing them is a benefit to Mii mainers, and isn't harmful to the meta unlike certain stages/Sudden Death rules/etc.

Side note, I had a thought. You know how we allow players to choose any stage as long as they agree? What about something like this:

"All Miis must use a 1111 set. You may use a custom set if your opponent agrees to it."
Miis are better without 1111 sets since they were designed to have varied movesets. No opponent who knew how Miis work would agree to it because Miis are better outside of 1111. It's not a good rule.

Last edited:

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR

That would work if the Miis were traditional but they aren't

CursedJay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CursedJay2

This creates problems. If a player prepares using a custom set and is told by their opponent they can not use it, it puts them at an instant disadvantage. The custom Mii meta alone isnt large enough to be unreasonable to learn, taking maybe 3 days of playing to figure out.

This is JUST in the case of the Miis. The custom meta is a literal mess outside of this.

Last edited:

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
What do you mean?
Have you used say, a 1111 Mii Brawler before? The moveset makes little sense and does not complement their A moves much at all. I think that + the game allowing them to use all their specials in all modes -FG means they were designed for this. This is why a lot of Mii mainers just say it'd be better to ban them out right.

Plus what CursedJay posted above.

Last edited:

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
True, I see the problem in that.

I'm going to bed now. Perhaps I'll have a different opinion in the morning.

Or perhaps I'll have nightmares of Dapuffster telling all my friends I'm a bad TO because he isn't allowed to break the rules.

Last edited:

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
Lets take Mario for example, turn his customs off and his specials are essentially the same meaning he doesn't have to adjust his playstyle much because he is still fundamentally the same character

Lets take Mii Brawler now, I now have completely different specials, I just lost all my kill power because the player i meet in WF wont gentlemen Mii BRawler. That now means i went from playing a High Tier to a Low tier and now have to adjust completely. None of my B-moves are the same or similar

Mii Brawler without his variations is a worse Diddy and Little Mac. No point in playing that character when i can play either of those since 1111 is literally worse in every aspect

2ndComing

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LazyAnmtoR
True, I see the problem in that.

I'm going to bed now. Perhaps I'll have a different opinion in the morning.

Or perhaps I'll have nightmares of Dapuffster telling all my friends I'm a bad TO because he isn't allowed to break the rules.
Sleeping on this will give you a better understanding

And you won't have dreams of him breaking the rules, you will have nightmares of you ignoring your players views and them leaving your tournaments to die.

The player is more important than your personal view, remember that

Top Bottom