• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should characters have to be unlocked? Or should they already be available?

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
I wouldn't go so far as to force players to play super hard skill levels to unlock fighters. Not going any harder than Normal to unlock someone sounds valid enough. Also, being required to find every special bonus to get one fighter sounds quite ridiculous.
It is not ridiculous, it's challenging! I hate to buy a game and in one week I already have every fighter unlocked! I wish something really challenging and hard to open a character, this will make me fell so good when I finally unlock someone! OK, I assume that opening all bonuses is to mudh, but at least half of then. There are somethings that are too hard to open what... trophies, stickers? THIS is ridiculous! Characters need to be more challenging to unlock!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I still don't get why people view unlocking stuff as such a big deal. Yeah, it's fun, but I wouldn't mind having all my characters unlocked from the get go. I multiplayer games for long term enjoyment, not short term enjoyment like unlocking stuff. But hey, at least I don't have to pay for it (looking at you, Capcom).

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I still don't get why people view unlocking stuff as such a big deal. Yeah, it's fun, but I wouldn't mind having all my characters unlocked from the get go. I multiplayer games for long term enjoyment, not short term enjoyment like unlocking stuff. But hey, at least I don't have to pay for it (looking at you, Capcom).
Well it's the short-term unlocking joy to long-term able to play with everyone whenever. Treat it liek a single player campaign until everything's unlocked and then it's a swell time the entire way!!

I also think they should rearrange who is unlockable/starter. For example; we shouldn't start out with all three kirby characters. Personally I think Dedede should be unlocked, but if its meta kngiht thats fine too. And i think we should start out with marth and ness because luke and ike came second. And Wario should be unlockable. no real reason for the last one. Just my personal opinion :awesome:

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
It's not like it's that big of an inconvenience. Although perhaps the devs can implement some complex cheat to automatically unlock everything for those who really don't feel like bothering.

I can't say that unlocking stuff extends the life of the game by more than a few days or a week, though, but I still like it. I always feel so good when that message pops up to tell me that I've unlocked something new.

I also like the CHALLENGER APPROACHING screen a lot more than I should. (The Melee one, I mean. Brawl's is ugly.) I would go so far as to have a secret folder deep in my hard drive filled with pictures of said screen.

That's just hypothetical, of course. It's not like I would ever really do that. Hehe. Is it hot in here?

Yeah, the ones that actually require you to accomplish something meaningful are the best. I just hated the ones like Fourside/Big Blue that required a quota of matches or MK2, which was pure luck because you had to get this one trophy.
Indeed. Most of the Melee methods for stages were pretty weird and annoying.

I also think they should rearrange who is unlockable/starter. For example; we shouldn't start out with all three kirby characters. Personally I think Dedede should be unlocked, but if its meta kngiht thats fine too. And i think we should start out with marth and ness because luke and ike came second. And Wario should be unlockable. no real reason for the last one. Just my personal opinion :awesome:
I totally agree! I say Marth, Ness, and Falcon should be starters in the next game. Ike and Lucas should be unlockable (if they come back).

As for the Kirby characters, I'd be fine with unlocking Meta Knight and Dedede if Waddle Dee gets in the game as a starter character by some miracle. If (and most likely when) that doesn't happen, I'd be happy to just unlock Dedede.

I don't really agree with Wario, though. But like you said, that's just a matter of opinion. :)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It is not ridiculous, it's challenging! I hate to buy a game and in one week I already have every fighter unlocked! I wish something really challenging and hard to open a character, this will make me fell so good when I finally unlock someone! OK, I assume that opening all bonuses is to mudh, but at least half of then. There are somethings that are too hard to open what... trophies, stickers? THIS is ridiculous! Characters need to be more challenging to unlock!
The thing is though, you HAVE to have All-Star Mode unlocked in order to get all the bonuses, and the only way to unlock All-Star Mode is if all the unlockable characters are unlocked.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't think unlocking every character should be super difficult, but not super easy either. Make me feel like I earned it, but don't frustrate me too much. Of course, achieving that balance is the key, isn't it.

Edit: I like how Melee did it, having characters be some of the easier things to unlock, and then giving trophies for the more challenging tasks.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I totally agree! I say Marth, Ness, and Falcon should be starters in the next game. Ike and Lucas should be unlockable (if they come back).

As for the Kirby characters, I'd be fine with unlocking Meta Knight and Dedede if Waddle Dee gets in the game as a starter character by some miracle. If (and most likely when) that doesn't happen, I'd be happy to just unlock Dedede.

I don't really agree with Wario, though. But like you said, that's just a matter of opinion. :)
Dah! Forgot Falcon! He's the other one I was thinking of!! Don't know why, I just feel like he should be. Thanks!!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I totally agree! I say Marth, Ness, and Falcon should be starters in the next game. Ike and Lucas should be unlockable (if they come back)
I liked how Melee made Ness and Falcon plaable by defaault, but somehow I think that maybe the original hidden characters will be kept hidden as an homage to the original. Heck, maybe they'll do the same thing with the Melee and Brawl unlockeables.

Mulecc

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1788-6477
Personally, I kind of like unlocking the characters, but that's just me. It gives you more of a goal to achieve and it doesn't take too long really anyway.

ShadowSmasher98

Smash Cadet
I think unlocking characters is pretty fun, though I think that all the newcomers and some veterans should be starters, whatever it takes to even it out, unless the roster has an odd amount of chars. (obviously)

:phone:

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I just hope they don't pull of a Mewtwo Unlocking method from Melee, I mean 40 hours? Too much.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I just hope they don't pull of a Mewtwo Unlocking method from Melee, I mean 40 hours? Too much.
First off its 20 hours

2nd off, you plug in 4 controllers, set game to 1 stock no time limit. Leave game running for 5 hours. Come back and have the guy you want to fight as the winner. Mewtwo unlocked.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Something which I had in mind was to have the main protagonists of the series be starters, while the other characters from that series be unlockable (for example, have C. Falcon be a starter and S. Goroh be unlockable if he's in the game or, have Marth be a starter and Ike/Roy be unlockable, etc.)
And speaking of unlockables, I just want Captain Falcon to be a starter again, I don't wanna waste time trying to unlock my hero when I could be kicking *** with him instead.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
And speaking of unlockables, I just want Captain Falcon to be a starter again, I don't wanna waste time trying to unlock my hero when I could be kicking *** with him instead.
This is why no unlockables would be best. Not everyone has the time

jigglover

Smash Lord
Something which I had in mind was to have the main protagonists of the series be starters, while the other characters from that series be unlockable (for example, have C. Falcon be a starter and S. Goroh be unlockable if he's in the game or, have Marth be a starter and Ike/Roy be unlockable, etc.)
How would this work for sole series representatives? Would it just be random characters to be starters, or have all brawl and smash 4 sole series reps unlockable and the rest starters?

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
If people play 1000s of matches of smash, I'm almost certain that they have the time.
Some people have lives, and now that the most of us are older we'll have more responsibilities in our lives by the time SSB4 comes out. So playing nonstop VS Matches to unlock characters is going to take us much longer. :troll:

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
How would this work for sole series representatives? Would it just be random characters to be starters, or have all brawl and smash 4 sole series reps unlockable and the rest starters?
I suppose that characters such as Wario, Yoshi, Little Mac, Shulk etc. could be starters, while retros/third-parties could be unlockable.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
First off its 20 hours

2nd off, you plug in 4 controllers, set game to 1 stock no time limit. Leave game running for 5 hours. Come back and have the guy you want to fight as the winner. Mewtwo unlocked.
Oops! It's been a long while since I've went through the unlocking process that I forgot.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Some people have lives, and now that the most of us are older we'll have more responsibilities in our lives by the time SSB4 comes out. So playing nonstop VS Matches to unlock characters is going to take us much longer. :troll:
Yet my Dad played through Oblivion, Skyrim, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout 3, and for any who know it: Phantasy Star Online.
the one player can take about 6 hours. This one would probably take a little longer, but there's time. Even with lives (were all living) there's time to sit down and enjoy some good ole SSE.
troll me and i forget what it means to be sarcastic sorry

Madame puff

Smash Journeyman
I like finishing a match then all of a suddenly the challenger Approaching screen would pop up.

For some reason for me, it was really exciting. :3

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Challenger Approaching is a classic thing and it gets me hyped up.

I would hate to see it go. Plus unlocking the characters in Vs. mode is a lot more fun than just having them all available.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Whenever i start Brawl all over, (cause I've done it a few times now) i only try to earn characters before starting the Subspace Emisary. cause really the story mode is kind of boring to begin with and to earn almost every character through that kind of sucks to. makes me feel like i didnt earn them

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
And the fact that you had to fight the new challenger in order to unlock him/her made it even more of a challenge, maybe not that much considering the A.I in the previous games are silly. But at least it's better than just meeting the character through a silly story mode with no story and just see a message pop up letting you know you unlocked the character.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Please don't nake characters unlockable like in the Subspace Emissary! This was the worsth idea ever!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Please don't nake characters unlockable like in the Subspace Emissary! This was the worsth idea ever!
Well again, the game can be made so that any unlockables that you get in Adventure Mode can't be used outside of Adventure Mode. You'd have to unlock that specific character the old fashioned way in order to use him/her anywhere else.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Well again, the game can be made so that any unlockables that you get in Adventure Mode can't be used outside of Adventure Mode. You'd have to unlock that specific character the old fashioned way in order to use him/her anywhere else.
Excellent solution! Should have been the case in Brawl.

I prefer to unlock the characters "the old fashioned way". With your idea, the adventure will continue with an expanding roster, but we get to unlock the characters in an alternative way if we want to play them in multiplayer.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
Honestly, the unlockable content in Smash is what I believe holds most of its lasting appeal and overall fun. Sure, the game is primarily centered around multiplayer, but that's why we have the option to unlock characters through playing multiplayer matches. Is having to quickly play through adventure mode or look-up the simple unlock requirements for certain characters really a big problem?

Unlocking characters and other content gives a sense of accomplishment. I myself feel pleasantly surprised and hyped up whenever the Challenger Approaching screen appears for the first time for each character. Although, I do agree that unlocking more veterans who have already been unlocked before is pretty redundant and unnecessary. Unlockables should be mainly newcomers.

I just hope the requirements for unlocking characters aren't as incredibly simple, quick and obvious as they were in Brawl. Unlocking every character in less than a month really shortened the game's lifespan for me. You could easily unlock most characters through adventure mode or by playing a total of 450 Vs. matches (in Melee, it was 1000. THAT was the perfect amount).

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
or like if you unlock them in the adventure mode it gives you a hint of how to unlock them for personal use

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Personally, I didn't mind unlocking characters through the SSE, but since a lot of people don't, why not make a compromise and have only a few, specific characters be able to be unlocked in the Adventure Mode?

Perhaps the Big Bad of the story mode can be a newcomer villain, and beating the story mode would unlock him, in addition to being able to unlock him through regular gameplay? This route could also be taken with the third-party characters.

Eh, just a thought.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I'm liking where this is going, unlocking to play in adventure and then unlock outside would be so much mroe fun! It's like twice the unlockables!!

grizby2

Smash Lord
how is it easier for tournies? by the time people start tournies for sm4sh, you would think they've unlocked all the characters by then.

the people that go to tournies i mean. :glare:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
You should have to unlock the character before you play as them in story mode. Don't have Ness yet, fight Porky as Lucas. Don't have Marth yet, you can only play as Meta Knight.

:phone:

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
is gud for getn ppl hookd b4 they get hookd

liek

ppl who dun appreciats melee will luv it by teh tiem they unlock moo2

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'd say it's fair to make all veterans unlocked from the start, and let you unlock the newcomers normally. That way you avoid excessive unlocking, but get to keep the excitement of discovering each new character.

SteliKingOfSpeed

Smash Cadet
I think we need a fair balance of a veterans and new characters if we go for a 50 character roster, but if we are around 40 I believe it should be the Original 8 starters and a few newer veterans and new characters to rack it up to 16, this would mean that there still would be a lot to unlock and Melee fans would be happy that there is more to unlock and hopefully will be much tougher ala Melee.

On my YouTube channel I made a starting roster that looked a bit like this:

As you can see I've gone for balance and kept the traditionals away. I do hope this will happen.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
I'd say it's fair to make all veterans unlocked from the start, and let you unlock the newcomers normally. That way you avoid excessive unlocking, but get to keep the excitement of discovering each new character.
Not all veterans will be starter characters.

Luigi and Jiggz are most likely going to be unlockables, again. It's like their tradition in Smash Bros. :p

Top Bottom