• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should characters have to be unlocked? Or should they already be available?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What they could do is much like the stickers (but at a CD rarity level) have notes appear and you pick them up in battle. After wards you see a little notepad that tells you game secrets. It could be unlockable character hints, challenge hints, stage unlocking hints, or Easter eggs.
Maybe for one secret message example...

"The Mario Universe roster is almost finished. Conquer Classic Mode with what you have to get someone special."

Basically, the hint would become available when there's only one more Mario Universe character to unlock. Accomplishing the task that the hint offers will offer you the challenger match. For one unlockable input, utilizing this hint...

Rosalina: Clear Classic Mode as all of the other Mario Universe characters; Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Bowser Jr., Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Yoshi, Wario.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

"The Mario Universe roster is almost finished. Conquer Classic Mode with what you have to get someone special."

Basically, the hint would become available when there's only one more Mario Universe character to unlock. Accomplishing the task that the hint offers will offer you the challenger match. For one unlockable input, utilizing this hint...
I'd rather hints be as ambiguous as possible as to who's being unlocked.

jigglover

Smash Lord
MASG, I think your hint is fairly simple, I'd like a more obscure one, such as:
Plusle and Minun: 2 characters in one slot! You have one like it, but there's one more. Do these 4 have a connection?
But the idea of hints is absolutely brilliant, honestly, amazing.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
So you basically want people to go through a wild goose chase. While the first set of hints could leave you guessing, eventually you'll have to receive a hint that'll clarify what you need to do.

If you've played Sonic Adventure 2 and done any of Knuckles's and/or Rouge's stages, the hints that you'll get from the TVs will become more simple if you still haven't found the Master Emerald shard location. Of course, each shard only offers three hints.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I haven't played Sonic adventure 2, and I don't want a wild goose chase, I just thought it was a little too clear but, I may as well drop it.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Having an extremely ambiguous hint about something that may or may not exist is better than no hint at all.

...and there's also the internet and sites like this which will have the answers anyway.

:phone:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Having an extremely ambiguous hint about something that may or may not exist is better than no hint at all.

...and there's also the internet and sites like this which will have the answers anyway.

:phone:
The thing is, I'd like to know what I had to do to unlock characters without spoiling who they are ahead of time. That's why I want hints that are fairly ambiguous as far as who will be unlocked.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

I like this idea, but I think the hints should be more ambiguous. Things like "Mario Universe roster" should at least be avoided so as to make the hint too obvious.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything besides it involving a vague reference to star bits.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I like this idea, but I think the hints should be more ambiguous. Things like "Mario Universe roster" should at least be avoided so as to make the hint too obvious.

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything besides it involving a vague reference to star bits.
Following the hint idea that I mentioned before, maybe it could work as follows...

Hint 1: You're given an ambiguous message, regarding the character.
Hint 2: You're given a more accurate depiction of the character, which is usually a silhouette.
Hint 3: You're given a clue as to what you must do to unlock the character.

After you get the first hint, if you take too long to try to unlock the character, you'll get the second hint. If you still don't encounter the character after getting the second hint, you'll eventually get the third hint. However, you will never receive more than three hints for each unlockable character.

I'll first try this with Luigi as the unlockable...

Hint 1: A green hero is waiting to shine.
Hint 2: An image of Luigi in silhouette form would be displayed.
Hint 3: The entity is related to someone. Clear Classic Mode with the correct character to face it.

For the second attempt, I'll use Falco as the unlockable...

Hint 1: A very skilled pilot has entered the scene.
Hint 2: An image of Falco in silhouette form would be displayed.
Hint 3: The entity awaits for anyone who can win a 100-man match.

For the third attempt, I'll use Rosalina as the unlockable...

Hint 1: A new space resident is roaming the cosmos.
Hint 2: An image of Rosalina in silhouette form would be displayed.
Hint 3: The entity will reveal itself when Classic Mode is cleared with the proper characters.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Come to think of it, why not just have characters be a part of the challenges board? there would be a generic silhouette of a character icon(like what the stages had in Brawl), and you'd just be told what to do. you could also make them golden hammer proof.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Come to think of it, why not just have characters be a part of the challenges board? there would be a generic silhouette of a character icon(like what the stages had in Brawl), and you'd just be told what to do. you could also make them golden hammer proof.
In Melee and Brawl, unlockables often had at least two different ways to be unlocked, with one of the methods involving playing a certain number of VS matches. This is probably why the unlockable characters aren't inputted onto the Checklist.

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
The 'hints' thing is actually pretty interesting.
I'd definetely would want to see more of these ideas.
Like, for example:

The fiery stingray awaits your challenge
Silhouette of the challenger appears
The entity must defeat his rival! A certain hawk must defeat the big ones to find him

2nd attempt:

The purple man awaits to finally appear in the spotlight
Silhouette of the character appears
The entity will reveal himself when his partner has defeated the hand

I hope I didn't make them too obvious.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
This could be a new format for a haiku.

He waits in the presence of apparitions with a menacing grin for his turn.
Silhouette of the character appears.
His dot-stained smile will haunt your dreams when you destroy left and right.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Hint 1)Protective of his young, but feisty in a fight.
The all-stars will never shine as bright, as long as you use the blue human-like entity to the end.

Hint 2) A balloon is here, with a mic close at hand.
Shows a silhouette of the character.
Generations have come and gone, but a classic use of the classic generation is... classic.

Try and figure them out, then put them in spoilers and make sure to tell them what is in the spoilers before. I want to see if I made them too hard...

Jhonnykiller45

Smash Journeyman
Hint 1)Protective of his young, but feisty in a fight.
The all-stars will never shine as bright, as long as you use the blue human-like entity to the end.

Hint 2) A balloon is here, with a mic close at hand.
Shows a silhouette of the character.
Generations have come and gone, but a classic use of the classic generation is... classic.

Try and figure them out, then put them in spoilers and make sure to tell them what is in the spoilers before. I want to see if I made them too hard...
I have no idea who no.1 is but no. 2 is definetely
Jigglypuff

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I just though of that:
You pay for the hint to a Master and Crazy hand with a flaoting cooking hat who will (comically) make a chinese cookie...perfectly round.The cookie breacks like the Smash logo,and the little hint on the paper appear.You can buy as many cookies as you want before openning it.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I just though of that:
You pay for the hint to a Master and Crazy hand with a flaoting cooking hat who will (comically) make a chinese cookie...perfectly round.The cookie breacks like the Smash logo,and the little hint on the paper appear.You can buy as many cookies as you want before openning it.
Haha, sounds fun.
It almost makes me feel bad for the poor, poor soul that is "the Master" though, because if he's dressing his hands in chef outfits then you know he's hit rock bottom.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I think the hard mode is a great idea!!
like start off with the original 8 ( or maybe even choose 4 of them)
i personally would pick that one just for the satisfaction of getting characters you dont know are in the game.

and i think i have a great idea for subspace! its that you dont actually unlock it until you get all of the characters (excluding 3rd parties)
that way you have to do the melee way of unlocking things

Powerstars

Smash Apprentice
The characters to unlock in Brawl were easy, so when you got everything, it didn't feel like you really did anything. As such, the game got older faster.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
The Easy and Hard mode would be fantastic!!! I would choose Hard mode most of the time. I personally love unlocking stuff. Adding to the roster, stages, music and expanding in general is so very fun!! Removing unlockables would be similar to a metroid/zelda game starting out with all your fun little toys/gadgets/beams. Now what kind of challenge would that be?

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
unlocking stuff makes yew play da game more. and it's far to boring w/ out unlocking stuff
True, but then again when you get challenges such as playing through classic mode with every character to unlock someone. It becomes pretty damn repetitive.

Also, i just hope you don't unlock everyone through story mode this time. It really made the other game modes in Brawl big flops.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I agree 100%!!

instead, we should unlock alternate costumes from 1 player mode. That way people have something to unlock AND show for it.

Orenjichu1

Smash Rookie
I still think unlocking is a better idea

I rather enjoyed unlocking the characters. Just seeing the "Warning New Challenger" made me that much more excited to play the game. SSE was a bad way to unlock characters, but I did enjoy playing with my sisters and it was a fun experience, so I don't think they should take out SSE, but they shouldn't let you have all the characters like that.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I rather enjoyed unlocking the characters. Just seeing the "Warning New Challenger" made me that much more excited to play the game. SSE was a bad way to unlock characters, but I did enjoy playing with my sisters and it was a fun experience, so I don't think they should take out SSE, but they shouldn't let you have all the characters like that.
One solution would be that the unlockables would not be available outside of Adventure Mode when you get them during the story. You would have to unlock the characters the old fashioned way in order to use them anywhere else.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
One solution would be that the unlockables would not be available outside of Adventure Mode when you get them during the story. You would have to unlock the characters the old fashioned way in order to use them anywhere else.
Love this idea. However some wouldn't want to experience the adventure mode then. Which I really want expanded. It was so much fun!

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ok..

Start with all characters. Unlock new alternature costumes, you have to beat character wearing his alt costume to unlock it.

Everyone happy then?

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
I heavily disagree of having all characters avaliable from the start.

Stuff unlocking in Smash Bros. is one of the greatest reasons that makes the game series so addicting, better with an achievement system like KAR's Checklist, Brawl's Challenges and KIU's Treasure Hunt.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Make characters harder to unlock. Everyone just easyly unlocked all characters with subspace.
Make it like completing classic mode without continues on very hard, clearing classic with one live, clearing a 100% adventure mode, and return the bonuses from Melee like Sacrifical KO, KO 64, etc. ( and make a character unlockable after opening all them).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Make characters harder to unlock. Everyone just easyly unlocked all characters with subspace.
Make it like completing classic mode without continues on very hard, clearing classic with one live, clearing a 100% adventure mode, and return the bonuses from Melee like Sacrifical KO, KO 64, etc. ( and make a character unlockable after opening all them).
I wouldn't go so far as to force players to play super hard skill levels to unlock fighters. Not going any harder than Normal to unlock someone sounds valid enough. Also, being required to find every special bonus to get one fighter sounds quite ridiculous.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't go so far as to force players to play super hard skill levels to unlock fighters. Not going any harder than Normal to unlock someone sounds valid enough. Also, being required to find every special bonus to get one fighter sounds quite ridiculous.
Yeah I agree, I tried doing that in melee and I only missed one that I could not get I tried for hours and simply could not get it. That's way too hard.

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
I love unlocking characters. I just adore the feeling of seeing a freshly unlocked character take up a well-deserved place on my CSS.

That raises a dilemma, though. Should I keep myself in the dark regarding SSB4 news so I can be super surprised with every character I unlock? Or should I follow every single piece of information I can get? I really want to hang around Smashboards and discuss the new information (plus I won't be able to restrain myself), but I would love feeling the surprise of unlocking someone new.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Having just gone back and unlocked everything in Melee again, I can say while unlocking characters is (mostly) fun, SSB4 needs to find better ways to unlock stages. No more "play x number of matches" or "play X number of matches with character Y" or "get X trophy." Those were the most tedious and boring to unlock.

Speaking of stages, should FD/Battlefield have to be unlocked again?

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Having just gone back and unlocked everything in Melee again, I can say while unlocking characters is (mostly) fun, SSB4 needs to find better ways to unlock stages. No more "play x number of matches" or "play X number of matches with character Y" or "get X trophy." Those were the most tedious and boring to unlock.

Speaking of stages, should FD/Battlefield have to be unlocked again?
I'd prefer it if more stages were unlocked like Mario Bros. and Spear Pillar. Play an event match on the stage and it's yours. Or like Dreamland N64 by completing Target Test with all characters. I like those kinds of challenges.

No, definitely not. Those two are awesome neutral stages, as well as the only Smash-exclusive ones. At first, I was a bit skeptical of them being starter stages, but now I see that it worked out for the better.

Unless we can unlock past versions of Battlefield and Final Destination. I'd be willing to unlock those.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'd prefer it if more stages were unlocked like Mario Bros. and Spear Pillar. Play an event match on the stage and it's yours. Or like Dreamland N64 by completing Target Test with all characters. I like those kinds of challenges.
Yeah, the ones that actually require you to accomplish something meaningful are the best. I just hated the ones like Fourside/Big Blue that required a quota of matches or MK2, which was pure luck because you had to get this one trophy.

No, definitely not. Those two are awesome neutral stages, as well as the only Smash-exclusive ones. At first, I was a bit skeptical of them being starter stages, but now I see that it worked out for the better.
I personally agree, I was just seeing what people thought.

Top Bottom