• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Should characters have to be unlocked? Or should they already be available?

Revven

FrankerZ
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm honestly sick and tired of unlocking characters in Smash at this point.

Yeah, the ways to unlock them are creative, fun, and such but I just want to play the multiplayer. You can keep extra stuff as unlockables but characters... please make them all available day 1. Every fighting game this generation since after SFIV has had all the characters unlocked already. It's not a bad thing to just go ahead and have them all available for use straight away. I don't like using characters I dislike using to unlock the characters I want to use.

Unlocking characters is basically a thing of the past now with gaming. Players just want to get right into the game with their favorite characters. It's also really stupid to have us unlocking the same characters we've unlocked 2-3 times now already because of past games. It was already an all-out chore in Brawl. I didn't have any fun unlocking the characters in Brawl because most of the characters were ones that I had unlocked in Melee already. Most of the newcomers were already unlocked (which is sort of part of the problem, I guess).

That and it's also easier for tournament organizers. You don't have to worry about having completed save files. And generally, yeah, completed save files haven't been a problem before but if the competitive scene ever expands, having bigger tournaments becomes easier because then all you need are Wii Us and Smash 4s, no need to worry about having the save file whatsoever.

What do you guys think? Should Smash 4 abandon character unlocks? I really think it's time to, what with the internet and everyone finding out about the characters before unlocking them anyway. The surprise and magic just isn't there anymore, the fun part of it is partially gone because the way to unlock them is getting less creative (play SSE... play hundreds of matches... iirc all everyone did was one or the other, to get all the characters ASAP). So what's the point of it? Nothing, just holds you back from playing your favorite characters day 1.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Unlockable characters are exciting, and a staple of the Smash series.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I personally enjoy unlocking characters for the fact that you get a sense of accomplishment while doing so and that the game has a much more lasting appeal. And to correct you on something Falco, not all Fighting games since SF4 had all characters on the roster unlocked for you. Examples would be TvC, SC4 & 5, MvC3 and some others.

Revven

FrankerZ
Enjoy your game for two days.
Uh, this game is a multiplayer game. It's never been a single player experience. I'll enjoy it for months on end if the multiplayer is good, thank you.

I don't need character unlocks to needlessly extend the game's life to only prohibit my usage of my favorite characters on the first day.

Unlockable characters are exciting, and a staple of the Smash series.
Lol, this is what everyone says about any series that has had unlocks in previous titles but look at what's trending in those very same games. They're giving you everything day 1 because they know you've already unlocked X character a bajillion times because of the previous games.

Smash isn't suddenly special for having character unlocks. It could go without them and still be an amazing game.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Yeah,for months.
And wait for a new one for more than six years.

And have you readen Falchion's post and mine above yours?

And the 3DS version is a single player experience.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Even if I already know all the characters that are playable, it still feels nice that your current roster got a litte more expanded with more options then before as you play.

I say keep the unlocking criteria, I never really relied on the SSE and the multiple VS matches anyway, I go for the more creative ways first and then go for the SSE and VS for the more difficult to unlock characters.

Those who just want all characters straight away can just play a quick speedrun of the SSE or VS matches or just hack the game in order to get them all as soon as possible.

I never liked the "everything is available day 1" ways. When I played Super Street Fighter 4 on my 3DS I was pretty dissapointed that pretty much everything was already there at the very beginning which made the game boring for me pretty quickly. =/

So yeah, I say keep stuff hidden until you meet certain criteria. It freshens up the game imo. It's like getting free downloadable content.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If you guys are playing for unlocking content, you're doing it wrong. The reason why anyone plays any fighting game is for the multiplayer among other reasons. The big experience in playing any fighting game is finding out what you can do with what you've got.

That being said, there have been unlockable characters in recent fighting games. Mu-12 was unlockable in BBCS, then there were characters in MK9 that had to be acquired through the story mode. Now, we'll have at least Michelle, Kunimitsu, Ancient Ogre, and Angel as unlockables in TTT2. Of course, CS and TTT2 have purchasable unlock keys for these characters, providing you with the option to grind or not.

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
When i saw the name of this thread i was like "troll thread?" but just goes to show you dont judge a book by its cover falco really brought up some ligit points. I still dont support it but it was well put together

:phone:

Flayl

Smash Hero
I hope there's a bunch of unlockable songs, zany stages and trophies but I agree that it would be nice to have all the characters and the blander stages unlocked right off the bat.

Also please, don't make us unlock the extra rules. That's just dumb.

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't Unlocking characters is one of the best parts about the series. It gives you an extra something to do other than just fight and stuff. I don't think i would play classic mode if it wasn't for unlocking characters

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Personally, I have to agree with the ones against the OP's point. Why is it so bad or difficult to unlock characters? It gives us something to do with the game, does it not? I mean, yes, I would love to play as a character I want to main from the word "go", but if they end up having to be unlocked, then it makes it that much more rewarding when I do unlock them and get to use them. The unlocking thing for Smash Bros. has been a staple in the series three games running, and not many people I know have complained about it. So why stop now? It's what gives the game even more replay value than the multiplayer already does.

Also please, don't make us unlock the extra rules. That's just dumb.
I do have to agree with this one though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I just hope the method of unlocking the characters isn't blatantly easy yet repetitive like in Brawl's story mode.

But unlockable characters do give out some replay value to keep the interest of the play to keep going. Without unlockable, the game could become boring very quickly. Plus seeing the "WARNING: CHALLENGER APPROACHING" message pop-up after a match is pretty exciting to see every time.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
I have no problem with unlocking characters, as long as we unlock them in a way that isn't cheap and easy like Brawl's SSE. In Melee, one of my joys was seeing the "Challenger Approaching" screen at random (I knew not what characters were hidden) and then discovering who it was.

In regards to unlocking characters, I've had a fun idea for player who want more of a challenge in this area. Suppose when you start up SSB4, the game asks you if you want to play in "Easy" or "Hard" mode. The difference between the modes:
  • Easy: A normal amount of characters are available at the start and a normal amount of characters hidden. Nothing special.
  • Hard: All but the original eight SSB starter characters are hidden. In this mode, you must unlock every other character in order of their appearance in the series. You unlock Jigglypuff first since it was arguably the first character you could easily unlock in SSB64. Then you can unlock Luigi, Captain Falcon, and Ness in that order. Since Peach was the first announced new character for Melee, you unlock her first and then progress through the rest of the Melee cast, then the Brawl and finally the SSB4 cast of new characters.

The "Hard" mode would provide a fun challenge and sort-of "history of the featured Smash Bros. series characters.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The way I would handle this matter is the 50:50 system. Basically, 50% of the fighters would be starters, while the other 50% would be unlockables.

As for Adventure Mode, it should be set so that you must complete the main story before you can use the unlockables outside of that game mode. If you don't clear Adventure Mode's main story, then you'll have to take the harder route to unlock characters.

BSP

Smash Legend
Enjoy your game for two days.
The depth of the game comes from the versus mode. Having everyone unlocked from the beginning will not hurt the game's lifespan.

That being said, I wouldn't mind either direction. I agree with Flayl about unlocking extra rules, that needs to go.

@JavaCroc- that hard mode sounds extremely tedious and I wouldn't like it personally.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If they decide to do unlockable characters, then they need to do it in a way that's not out of the way, but not tedious. Things like clearing modes with specific characters are good examples of what to do. Things where you have to grind like how you got Marth in Melee should be avoided.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think it would be fun if you just started out with Mario and had to do simple things to unlock characters at first. Like beat Bowser in the first event match to unlock Peach. Maybe like JavaCroc said, you could choose whether you wanted to do unlocks this way or not.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
The depth of the game comes from the versus mode. Having everyone unlocked from the beginning will not hurt the game's lifespan.

That being said, I wouldn't mind either direction. I agree with Flayl about unlocking extra rules, that needs to go.

@JavaCroc- that hard mode sounds extremely tedious and I wouldn't like it personally.
That's why it's presented as a choice first thing when you enter the game. If you think it'd be too tedious, you just choose Easy mode.

If they decide to do unlockable characters, then they need to do it in a way that's not out of the way, but not tedious. Things like clearing modes with specific characters are good examples of what to do. Things where you have to grind like how you got Marth in Melee should be avoided.
Agreed. I don't even remember how I could have unlocked Marth in Melee now. Maybe I got bored and just happened to play Classic Mode with the other 10 character I didn't normally play as. :p

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Well to be honest it's more intersting to have to unlock all the characters.
Then just play with them the first time you play.

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
I just hope the method of unlocking the characters isn't blatantly easy yet repetitive like in Brawl's story mode.

But unlockable characters do give out some replay value to keep the interest of the play to keep going. Without unlockable, the game could become boring very quickly. Plus seeing the "WARNING: CHALLENGER APPROACHING" message pop-up after a match is pretty exciting to see every time.
Haha yes that was my favorite part like oh I'm about to fight someone.
the best challenger approaching one was meele they need to make it more like that
You should have to do things to unlock characters instead of just beating like the campaing.​

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
The thought of not seeing "Warning New Challenger Approaching" is heart breaking. Every game needs to have some motivation to keep playing. Even more than the motivation you'd have just because you're really into it. How on earth do some of you people not enjoy unlocking characters. That's one of the funnest things there are in the game.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Noway! I think they need to be even tighter with the content you start off with!
Start off with Kirby alone and the only stage you begin with is Battlefield.
XD

Kal

Smash Champion
For the masses, i.e., the players who don't take this game seriously, and won't play it for hundreds of hours at Smashfests, the replay value comes out of unlocking everything. I think a solution that involves downloading a Nintendo-made game save, or perhaps some sort of optional "unlock everything" on the disc, is the way to go: if you're casual and just like unlocking everything (and not knowing the complete roster beforehand adds excitement to your experience), then just don't use the game save.

I don't know for sure. Some people would argue it's better to just leave cosmetic stuff locked, and have everything else unlocked. Can't say I necessarily disagree there. Just a matter of preference. If this game is anything like Melee, I would prefer to have everything unlocked from the beginning, so I could jump straight into multiplayer.

Jet300

Smash Ace
Noway! I think they need to be even tighter with the content you start off with!
Start off with Kirby alone and the only stage you begin with is Battlefield.
XD
That will take all day to unlock all the characters and stages. And I don't want to play as kirby all day to unlock, Fox. :urg:

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
ok, you get pit too. compliments of Kid Icarus Uprising. Now you got 2 characters to work with. haha
No you should star with the top 4 characters......
Mario
kirby
link
pikachu
Those were the first four to be shown in ssbb and maybe play one fight with all of them to unlock the next character so fox or samus. Or win a fight with kirby and you get a chance to unlock meta knight. So the top characters are easy to unlock.​

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Unlocking characters and other stuff in the series is the reason that Smash Bros. is so addicting.

Removing the character unlocking will gonna kill the game, seriously.

Revven

FrankerZ
Unlocking characters and other stuff in the series is the reason that Smash Bros. is so addicting.

Removing the character unlocking will gonna kill the game, seriously.
You have to be joking me...

Unlocking characters is addicting? Really? If it was, you'd start the game over again to unlock the characters again and continue to do so in an endless loop.

smh

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
You have to be joking me...

Unlocking characters is addicting? Really? If it was, you'd start the game over again to unlock the characters again and continue to do so in an endless loop.

smh
Although it was on accident that I deleted my data in Smash Bros. 64 more than 5 times
I would like to say that it was worth every minute to see that CHALLENGER APPROACHING screen just one more time

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Although it was on accident that I deleted my data in Smash Bros. 64 more than 5 times
I would like to say that it was worth every minute to see that CHALLENGER APPROACHING screen just one more time
God I love that "Warning: Challenger approaching" notice throughout the series. Even if you expected it. It still feels really exciting! xD

I really hope they never get rid of it.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Unlocking the characters in Smash is just THAT fun. you head out in an objective and have a thrilling battle with the new character you might not know at all what kind of moves he/she offers, adding a new challenge. the "Warning: Challenger Approaching" is definitely classic. it's like the World 1-1 of the Mario games.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
No you should star with the top 4 characters......
Mario
kirby
link
pikachu
Those were the first four to be shown in ssbb and maybe play one fight with all of them to unlock the next character so fox or samus. Or win a fight with kirby and you get a chance to unlock meta knight. So the top characters are easy to unlock.​
I was joking man. If anything I think it would be fun to start with the starting roster for smash64. mario, pikachu, kirby, link, yoshi, DK, samus, and fox. Simply for a nostalgic feel which would be nice. I wasn't a fan of having like 20 people when i turned on brawl for the first time.

bombers14

Smash Apprentice
I was joking man. If anything I think it would be fun to start with the starting roster for smash64. mario, pikachu, kirby, link, yoshi, DK, samus, and fox. Simply for a nostalgic feel which would be nice. I wasn't a fan of having like 20 people when i turned on brawl for the first time.
oh haha but Actually ya to start with the 64 characters would be fun to give you the more classic feel and you get to see the challenger approaching thing more.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
what you suggest only works with Multiplayer-only games. this isn't Starhawk, whether you like it or not, unlocking characters is one of the biggest draws in Smash Bros. they aren't going to have all characters be defaults, they aren't going to have all stages be defaults. they aren't going to have all trophies or stickers be defaults. there IS a Single Player mode, it's not just Vs, online, and training. they have arenas, which do give rewards, and some of these rewards will be stages or characters-period. just because you cant do a Midnight launch tourney with the whole cast doesn't mean everyone who is walking into this game expecting to be surprised by all the hidden things inside should lose what made them like the series in the first place. in fact, this negative reaction t hidden characters is what would evolve into the controversy that Capcom stirred up, becasuse people kept *****ing. you don't like the hidden stuff? either get some cheat codes, get another game,or suck it up and deal.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
unlocking stuff adds replayabilty and makes the game more fun and gives you something to strive for. sometimes the trip there is better then the destination

Top Bottom