• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
To be perfectly honest, as much as I'd like to see Ken or other members of the SF cast, I would prefer if they went in another direction. Namely, I really want to see Simon Belmont I'm the game. He is an iconic old school video game character and that is what smash was supposed to be at first, a celebration of old school icons.
YES! Since I am a SotN fanboy, I would love to see Richter on Smash. Hydro Storm for DAYS!

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
She's okay. At least for Lucina she didn't have to butcher any JP words. (i have no regrets)
She can handle those words in english, my problem with Laura Bailey with Chun-Li is that every time I hear her, I still Rise and expect her to say Sempai

BZero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
brand23
A bit off-topic but.. : Can somebody please explain to me why lvl 9 CPUs feel the need to roll spam, and spam grabs? It's honestly frustrating as hell.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
A bit off-topic but.. : Can somebody please explain to me why lvl 9 CPUs feel the need to roll spam, and spam grabs? It's honestly frustrating as hell.
Lvl. 9's are frame perfect. So any mistake you make that can be grabbed, you're getting grabbed. Any situation where they don't have to get hit, they'll take the defensive option.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
While they may spam that, the AI seems to have improved a bit since they perform actions the cpu didn't use to perform, like zair with Link. Seems that lvl 9 is constantly being worked on as well.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Man. I think my favorite taunt in the game goes to Ryu's d-taunt. Using it after killing with a true SRK and doing the taunt with 0 lag is so fun

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
>Hating on Laura Bailey

Probably hate :4lucina: voice too
Ryu is Kyle Herbert/Teen and Adult Gohan
Lucina is Laura Bailey/Kid Trunks
Lucario is Sean Schemmel/Goku
Coincidence?

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
Does anyone know how to pull off the powerful shoryuken? I can't seem to do it.
Either :GCR: -> :GCD: -> :GCDR: +:GCA:or:GCB:(or :GCZ: technically)

Or :GCDR:x2 + :GCB:/:GCA:/:GCZ:

Note that the grab button (z) will only let you do the tap version so for the strongest one hold A or B

Last edited:

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
Ah nothing feels better than to punish those online players who abuse the side rolls and dodges, than to give them a swift Tatsu to the face.

Oh you rolled away? *Heavy Side B* I'M STILL COMIN FOR YOU *****!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Ok so I was playing a friend offline yesterday and something really strange happened: he edge hogged me. Now, I swear I wasn't holding anything on the dpad, I wasn't holding down nor up.

I was extremely distraught after that happened and ended up losing the match, but that's not important. What happened? I went back to that star and tested the edge, the SRK, recovering facing the Ledge, away from the Ledge, everything. Ryu grabs the Ledge in every case. So just what happened here? Any theories?

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Ok so I was playing a friend offline yesterday and something really strange happened: he edge hogged me. Now, I swear I wasn't holding anything on the dpad, I wasn't holding down nor up.

I was extremely distraught after that happened and ended up losing the match, but that's not important. What happened? I went back to that star and tested the edge, the SRK, recovering facing the Ledge, away from the Ledge, everything. Ryu grabs the Ledge in every case. So just what happened here? Any theories?
Amazing! I know exactly why this happened but I've never seen it before. So whenever you take damage you're unable to grab the ledge for like 30 frames or so. He upBed you, you took damage but no knock back, then you upBed and fell before your ledge grabbing window was available. If you had waited a tiny bit longer to Upb you would've grabbed the edge. Very cool! Your friend being on the ledge had no effect here.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Amazing! I know exactly why this happened but I've never seen it before. So whenever you take damage you're unable to grab the ledge for like 30 frames or so. He upBed you, you took damage but no knock back, then you upBed and fell before your ledge grabbing window was available. If you had waited a tiny bit longer to Upb you would've grabbed the edge. Very cool! Your friend being on the ledge had no effect here.
That actually makes perfect sense. I was aware of this effect but I believed the window was over; it never occurred to me that I was still I'm cooldown. Damn was I shocked when it happened. Glad to have a logical explanation, thx.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm gonna be doing a group dedicated to fighting games to discuss all fighters in general.

Just send me an PM and I'll give out your invites

keronshb

Smash Cadet
NNID
keronshb
Switch FC
4854 8398 6875
I'm not sure how long I can take playing this game anymore. Been playing since 64 but only really took it somewhat seriously since Brawl since I never really liked using Wavedashing and the like in Melee. It's like I learn something pretty much completely about a mechanic, whether it's out beating something, learning what's safe on block on my side or on their side, etc and then it all ends up biting me in the ass later. It works on some people, but then I try **** on people and what should be safe on block for me ends up me getting shieldgrabbed for no reason, or me trying to counter a roll and it doesn't work, or putting in a SRK (been playing SF for much longer) and having a ****ty dash attack come out instead, etc.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm gonna be doing a group dedicated to fighting games to discuss all fighters in general.

Just send me an PM and I'll give out your invites
What's a PM? Probably should know this, but I dont.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Shouldn't this thread be stickied?
It was but then it was taken down to make room for other more important but less active threads, like the guide, Q&A, and the fundamentals. This thread is active enough that it won't really get buried, but the guides receive to activity and as such need to be stickied as to not be buried. That's the purpose of a sticky after all, to stop important but less active threads from getting lost.

SolarisCore

Smash Rookie
I find Ryu is just BROKEN. The first time I played him, I thought the controls would be wierd, but after fooling around for a bit I think I can play him better than Greninja.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I find Ryu is just BROKEN. The first time I played him, I thought the controls would be wierd, but after fooling around for a bit I think I can play him better than Greninja.
He's not broken at all.

I'm getting sick of people saying that about a lot of characters and things in many games I play. He has some definite weaknesses that hurt him pretty bad. He hits hard and combos well but his recovery is predictable and he is a very weird aerial game where he has to commit to his jumps.

Broken is what :metaknight: was in brawl. Not even :4diddy:was as bad as that.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I have noticed that the activity burst of this forum has now passed. So, now that teo weeks have gone by, we have all tested Ryu, misinformation has been dealt with, and many have tested him and then given up after realizing he isn't easy to play with and won't give you any free wins, who's left? How many of us will remain as regulars in these boards, have taken Ryu as a main (or main alt) and plan on sticking around and working?

As for me, I here to stay and do work.

Consider this a census if you will.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Not going anywhere until the way of Ansatsuken has been mastered.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'll be sticking around for a while most likely.

I suck at this game in general and so it doesn't really matter who I suck with. At least I can feel like I can actually I can train with Ryu by myself compared to other characters in this game lol.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
who's left? How many of us will remain as regulars in these boards, have taken Ryu as a main (or main alt) and plan on sticking around and working?

Consider this a census if you will.
I'm sticking around. Haven't said much, partially out of fears this place will turn into a copy of the Link forums, but I do play the character consistently.

Top Bottom