• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shotokan Dojo - Ryu Social Thread

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
There are some things in life that are just wrong, but the body makes you do it.

See JigglyPuff slowly getting closer.

You're with 80%, Jiggly is 90%.

It gets closer.

You are uncertain of your action.

You will get rested, and you know it.

It's even closer.

My mind is tellin me no.

BUT MY BODY!

MY BODYYYYY!

IS TELLING ME YEEEEHEEES!!!

I Shoryukened.

I missed.

Jiggly uses REST.

It's super effective.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
There are some things in life that are just wrong, but the body makes you do it.

See JigglyPuff slowly getting closer.

You're with 80%, Jiggly is 90%.

It gets closer.

You are uncertain of your action.

You will get rested, and you know it.

It's even closer.

My mind is tellin me no.

BUT MY BODY!

MY BODYYYYY!

IS TELLING ME YEEEEHEEES!!!

I Shoryukened.

I missed.

Jiggly uses REST.

It's super effective.
I have to say, I lolled.

@ ShinnyMetal ShinnyMetal It's all practice. Just practice and you'll be able to do it in a match. The problem are the nerves. Nerves betray you.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I have to say, I lolled.

@ ShinnyMetal ShinnyMetal It's all practice. Just practice and you'll be able to do it in a match. The problem are the nerves. Nerves betray you.
Nerves always betray. Link is the first fighting game character that I could actually do the crap I needed to. Roy is kinda at that point for me too. I really wanna pocket Ryu though. He's so fun

Freaking Vergil...I could have even made fancy combo videos for him but good luck on ever seeing me use that crap.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
@ PokemonyeWest PokemonyeWest

Man,

After double testing Elessar's throw chart, I think you should add it up on your guide. All throws are safe kills on 200%, except forward. May come in handy for newbs in tight situation, as for pros alike.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
@ PokemonyeWest PokemonyeWest

Man,

After double testing Elessar's throw chart, I think you should add it up on your guide. All throws are safe kills on 200%, except forward. May come in handy for newbs in tight situation, as for pros alike.
Only reason I didn't include those was because I felt it was unrealistic. I guess I should add it for posterity's sake.

Not saying they were hard but that I couldn't do them in a match
all you need ise Helm Breaker > High Time > QCF+AA Kappa

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
http://smashboards.com/threads/terminology-reference-list.406955/

I went ahead and did it because I wasn't satisfied with what we had.
Your glossary is good for SF players looking to transition or pick up Ryu here, it'll allow them to know quickly which attacks are what. It'll also help non SF players to understand when those terms are being used, so it is a good glossary and useful. I still think though that as a smash community we should try to stick to smash terms since they are universal to the game we play and are actually more descriptive of the move being done. For example, saying h Jab, or strong Jab, is more descriptive and universal for Smash players than st.hk. St.hk doesn't tell you how to perform the move like H Jab does. See, if you're playing SF, the st.hk does tell you how to perform the hit, much like h Jab, but in Smash it doesn't.

That's my only issue with using SF terms when discussing Ryu in a smash game.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I'm usually against posts containing no words. But in this case, I'll even give you my like. We'll played.
Sometimes, a pic is all that's needed, bro.

Ken with a multi-hitting sideB as well as other tweaks would be sweet.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Sometimes, a pic is all that's needed, bro.

Ken with a multi-hitting sideB as well as other tweaks would be sweet.
I agree. Tour pic describes me perfectly since I am against clones, but Ken semi clone would be too sweet.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Ken Clone would be cool.

Multi hitting Tatsu
Worse Hadouken
Multi Hitting Shoryu (With fire effects and better startup)
Shinryuken and Shoryu Reppa for Final Smash (close and far respectively)
Step Kick as opposed to Ryu's Weak F-Tilt
Overhead/Thunder Kick as opposed to Ryu's Strong F-Tilt

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Ken Clone would be cool.

Multi hitting Tatsu
Worse Hadouken
Guren Senpuyaku would make more sense than Shoryureppa imo.

Ken Clone would be cool.

Multi hitting Tatsu
Worse Hadouken
Guren Senpuyaku would make more sense than Shoryureppa imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Your glossary is good for SF players looking to transition or pick up Ryu here, it'll allow them to know quickly which attacks are what. It'll also help non SF players to understand when those terms are being used, so it is a good glossary and useful. I still think though that as a smash community we should try to stick to smash terms since they are universal to the game we play and are actually more descriptive of the move being done. For example, saying h Jab, or strong Jab, is more descriptive and universal for Smash players than st.hk. St.hk doesn't tell you how to perform the move like H Jab does. See, if you're playing SF, the st.hk does tell you how to perform the hit, much like h Jab, but in Smash it doesn't.

That's my only issue with using SF terms when discussing Ryu in a smash game.
I concur for the most part but I have been seriously tempted to use stuff like cr.lk, cr.mk, cr.hk and have even slipped up a few times and know there are/will be other people wanting to, and will, use SF lingo because it just feels better for them (like Emblem Lord's post in the fundamentals thread, which I'm sure is/was confusing for people not versed in SF, I was confused by some of the terminolgy he used because I'm still a relatively new (read only some months playing and that is still only by myself) modern sf player).

It is just an attempt to make things less confusing among the boards for when multiple different types of terminology is used.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Hey pals, I have updated my guide twice today per your suggestions!

and -0 landing lag. lp srk all day
Hell, give it negative recovery frames. Shoryukens inside Shoryukens.

I concur for the most part but I have been seriously tempted to use stuff like cr.lk, cr.mk, cr.hk and have even slipped up a few times and know there are/will be other people wanting to, and will, use SF lingo because it just feels better for them (like Emblem Lord's post in the fundamentals thread, which I'm sure is/was confusing for people not versed in SF, I was confused by some of the terminolgy he used because I'm still a relatively new (read only some months playing and that is still only by myself) modern sf player).

It is just an attempt to make things less confusing among the boards for when multiple different types of terminology is used.
It's a noble effort but trying to translate SF notation to Smash is like trying to translate SF notation to... Marvel vs. Capcom? For lack of a better example.

Like, in those games, Ryu has all the moves he has in SF but no one refers to his L > M > H as Far Stand. Jab > Cl. Stand. Medium Kick > Far St. HP because that'd lead to confusion. Plus with people already in such a tizzy about what terminology to use, throwing this hat into the ring I feel exacerbates the issue.

Like Elessar said, it's probably going to be useful for SF Players migrating to Smash. But it'll confound Smash Players.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515

I agree, and I'm not trying to dissuade you or anyone from using SF lingo, just trying to explain why we should stick, specially for guides, with smash terminology. I just find that it'll make picking up Ryu easier for non SF versed players.

Anyways, I did say that you SF - Smash glossary is useful for that reason it bridges them.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Ken Clone would be cool.

Multi hitting Tatsu
Worse Hadouken
Nintendo - This... Please? PLEAAASE????????

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Was thinking about how stocks compared to rounds in Street Fighter, then realized they're more comparable to how
Darkstalkers works.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
But they're taking out all the 1-frame links in SFV anyways, so what do now?

Also, :GCDR:x2 = DP
When I found that out in the middle of a match with a pal, he replied "Good God it's super 2 turbo all over again"
Insta-punish anti air for days.
Well if this works then its pretty much over for any good MU we have. Easy DPs will be insane

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Was thinking about how stocks compared to rounds in Street Fighter, then realized they're more comparable to how
Darkstalkers works.
Man, for how middlingly decent I am at Street Fighter, I am absolute ass at Darkstalkers. Bought the Online Edition when it came out on PS3 and I just...

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I downloaded Ryu yesterday. I notice alot of good (and bad) things about him.

Hurricane Kick: No start up invisibility frames when you input the move or forward b. So trying to use the move when recovering from off stage can get you spiked.

Hadoken: It can also be used when pausing your fall, then fellow up with an option.

Other then that, I find Ryu to be the most tech character by far. But I think it's way too early for me to say that.

I'm still learning Ryu at the moment.

:pow:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I downloaded Ryu yesterday. I notice alot of good (and bad) things about him.

Hurricane Kick: No start up invisibility frames when you input the move or forward b. So trying to use the move when recovering from off stage can get you spiked.

Hadoken: It can also be used when pausing your fall, then fellow up with an option.

Other then that, I find Ryu to be the most tech character by far. But I think it's way too early for me to say that.

I'm still learning Ryu at the moment.

:pow:
For anything that you need don't forget to check out guide (PokemonyeWest's guide should be more useful)

http://smashboards.com/threads/a-good-wind-ryu-guide.406904/

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-wandering-warrior-a-ssb4-ryu-guide.406811/

And drop by the fundamentals and the meta thread.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I just feel like he has the most misconceptions made about him (both in weaknesses and strengths) then I have seen for any other character yet.
I see and understand, but not necessarily agree. Many chars have had as many misconceptions, such as little Mac when the game first came out.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
I just feel like he has the most misconceptions made about him (both in weaknesses and strengths) then I have seen for any other character yet.
I wouldn't call that misconception. Ryu is new to Smash, and the first in the whole series to have unique mechanics regarding his skills and even normals. I think it's pretty common to have such debate and questions about something people never experienced before. Besides, I don't take this to the negative side. It's pretty relevant that people actually liked Ryu, maybe we will see more unique fighters with this kind of mechanic.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
But they're taking out all the 1-frame links in SFV anyways, so what do now?

Also, :GCDR:x2 = DP
When I found that out in the middle of a match with a pal, he replied "Good God it's super 2 turbo all over again"
Insta-punish anti air for days.
They can try but there will still be some 1 frame links. so diagonally down twice =dp? cool

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Just used ryu (i got a eshop card today.)

Yea i used him and hes going to be a great inclusion

Hes like a D tier on 3ds

But with a controller on the wii u an S tier easily. (May take some practice first though.)

Nintendo - This... Please? PLEAAASE????????

Not smash 4 but smash 5 ryu could get ken as a clone if ryu makes it in smash 5 dlc or non dlc.(but i hope he gets semi cloned though.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom