• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shortcuts: Thinking Smash

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
"He just plays smart."

Something we've all heard a thousand times, and it seems being able to be a smart player, one of the most crucial aspects of Smash, is reserved only for those of us destined for greatness. How do you play smart? It's hard to define, but I think I may have come across something that will help players progress in the field.

I was reading Patrick Chapin's Magic: The Gathering book (shameless advertising: Next Level Magic - I highly recommend it), and he came across a topic I hadn't really seen discussed too much in Magic before: shortcuts. After letting it sink in for a while, I realized something; this same basic idea is applicable to Smash.

For those who haven't read the book (don't worry, you don't have to in order to understand this), the basic idea is that at any moment in the game, there are any one of a thousand options you could choose. So how do we know which ones to choose? Some situations may seem obvious to us, especially those who practice all the time, but it basically comes down to knowing which options are relevant to the situation at hand. Like I said, many of these seem obvious, but I think it is still important to know how we think in order to make better decisions more often.

Let's take an actual game example. I'm playing Brawl, using Bowser and my opponent is a Meta Knight. We're on battlefield, with both characters roughly under their respective platforms on each side of the stage. What do I do? Naturally, I wouldn't just randomly Up Smash, as I'll be punished, but in a fast paced game like Smash, I don't have a whole lot of time to decide what I am going to do. I could F Tilt. I could short hop an approaching F Air. I could short hop a retreating F Air. I could run at him and shield. I could walk away. I could run away. I could roll away. I could use an empty short hop, fast fall, air dodge to the ground and reverse Up Tilt. I could use a retreating Firebreath. I could imagine that you've got my point already. It would be nice to be able to pause the game and analyze the situation a bit before deciding, but I think we all know that isn't going to happen. Shortcuts allow you to quickly choose from the best options. If you have the right shortcuts in each situation, you'll be able to react quickly and effectively.

So what exactly are shortcuts? Well, I like to think of them as the options that each best perform a goal. A couple of good ones to use as an example would be, "Which is my safest option," and ,"Which option has the largest potential upside." These are both good things to know at any given point. Going back to the Bowser scenario, the safest option would probably be to retreat with a short hop and shoot a puff of Firebreath. It doesn't have much potential upside damage wise, but Bowser is nigh impossible to hit unless he's guessed what you're doing correctly. The largest upside may be to run backwards and try to pivot grab his approach, which will take advantage of Bowser's impressive grab release options and may net you a kill after you CG MK to the edge. Now, shortcuts won't magically make you play smart. However, I feel that they are a great tool for practicing. When you're playing against people or watching video, look for what options you (or others) go to in specific situations, like the long range neutral state in the Bowser vs. MK scenario. Pose questions. What should I have done? Why did that work? How can he counter that? I can't tell you every shortcut; that would be impossible. But once you are aware of how you think, you can develop your own shortcuts and increase your own ability to think in fast paced action. Maybe you have really good spacing and would rather F Tilt just outside of his range.

So what kinds of shortcuts should I be trying to come up with? Well, the two above are good ones. I'm also a fan of, "Which attacks are best in this matchup?" Certain shortcuts, such as the safest option and matchup bests, are good fallbacks when you may hesitate or are unsure of what to do. They give you time to work and learn to read your opponent without risking too much. Something like, "What's the best way to get to the center of the stage," is always good to know when you're at a high percentage. Speaking of, I'd like to move to another point.

Like I've said, there are far too many shortcuts to even remotely list them here. They narrow down your options and remove the irrelevant and stupid things from your head. However, you're still going to have too much floating around up there if you try and remember all of them at once. This is where networks (call them what you will, it's just the first thing that came to my head) of shortcuts come in handy. The more networks you develop, the more quickly you will be able to recall each chunk of options. Don't get too specific too quickly though. Start out with something easy, such as offence, defense, and neutral. Once you get your basic networks down, start to divide. For example, I'll go with Brawl Bowser again. In offence, you may have F Tilt, F Air, Jab, Klaw, Grab, and Firebreath. Later, once you start using the right moves, break it down. Maybe you have long ranged offense with spaced F Tilt, spaced F Air, and Firebreath and close ranged offense with Jab, Klaw, and Grab. If you practice with your shortcuts in mind, your muscle memory and ability to think quickly will take over in tournament play.

However, don't just read this and go, "Ok." I started an entire thread for a reason. What are your shortcuts? Think about your game and share some networks with all of us!

Nixernator said:
TBH you should add in quick recall techniques (such as using patterns to be able to memorise more than 7 things at a time), I like to remember spacing, combos, edgeguarding and have almost videos stuck away inside them. I am currently trying to make a "Zoning" memory block. Now this will be different for most people since I have a fairly visual (apparently almost photographic) memory, I remember videos and pictures extremely well. Having these able to be recalled in certain situations reminds me of good options.

After using these for a while your memory blocks become muscle memory, so thinking spacing makes you immediately space your moves.
Anybody get that?
Good point here. Having networks helps because you are chunking info, but you should use something to help you remember it. I think mnemonic devices are a little slow, but perhaps something similar to the 1-sun method? Basically, find a name for a network, and then say the name and go down the list of options under that name. So Nixernator, your spacing network (for ZSS) would be Down Smash just outside of range, retreating Side B, and making sure he can't get in close. So, practice sometime and just repeat the options (aloud or to yourself, it shouldn't matter). After a while, saying spacing should automatically bring those three choices to your head. Then, when you want to space in a match, repeat spacing to yourself and you should automatically have those options ready. Abbreviate names as well. Down Smash just outside of range is a bit long, so maybe missed D Smash or something.

Also guys, when you list networks, try and explain why you do the moves, not just the moves. I'm going to keep using Nixernator as an example. Listing retreating side b is a good option, but why? I'm guessing that's your safe shortcut. Your high reward shortcut is the D Smash because of all of the stun. Why run away? I hope I'm getting the point across, please tell me if I'm not.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I guess you could say I just play smart.

BTW the quote in the beginning is really sexist. Are you saying girls are stupid and aren't capable of playing smart?

SuSa

Banned via Administration
It's not being sexist entirely, tell me the ratio of boys to girls who play Smash?

Now tell me the ratio of those who are considered Pro's. :/

I can't even think of a female Pro off the top of my head....

Anyways, nice topic.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I guess you could say I just play smart.

BTW the quote in the beginning is really sexist. Are you saying girls are stupid and aren't capable of playing smart?
"He or she is just a really smart player," is long and awkward, and "(S)he is just a really smart player," doesn't look very good. :ohwell:

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
"He/She is just a really smart player".

bobson

Smash Lord
"He" can acceptably be used as a gender-neutral pronoun in cases like this.

Alternatively, use "they."

Edit: Not to mention that "She just plays smart" is demonstrably not something we've all heard a thousand times, given the male:female ratio of Smash.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Probably is.

Anyway, I guess some of my "shortcuts" are:

- Pivot grabbing after a Dthrow at low percents against big characters/ space aminalz.
- SH Nair OoS against characters that I know have good aerial movement and can punish grounded OoS stuff.
- Standing Up-Bs when trying to punish moves with little lag.
- Nair to arrow cancel

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
nice to see we're staying on topic and not arguing about something childish.

edit: and then sasukebowser posted and messed up my troll lol.
oh well

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
LOL that was a troll's dream right there. Starting a debate/discussion about something random that I don't care about AT ALL with a simple sentence.

Good job guys.

Browny

Smash Hater
IMO it all comes from simply knowing as much as possible about the game.

you should know all of your options and all of the enemies options as well, just as important. I pretty much always work of a risk : reward basis. dont get hit as they say, might not always be applicable vs the likes of MK, but definitely do not give the enemy opportunities to hit you with high damage attacks as much as you can. Its kind of obvious with things like Falcos chaingrab. you'll see some people who platform camp like crazy and will refuse to touch the ground and take 30% by lasers if neccesary, I think its a better option than running a 50:50 to damage him and take a lot from the CG

§witch

Smash Lord
LOL that was a troll's dream right there. Starting a debate/discussion about something random that I don't care about AT ALL with a simple sentence.

Good job guys.
Except, you know, it wasn't a good troll. A good troll pisses people off, this just made people think your vag typed a sentence for you.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
IMO it all comes from simply knowing as much as possible about the game.

you should know all of your options and all of the enemies options as well, just as important. I pretty much always work of a risk : reward basis. dont get hit as they say, might not always be applicable vs the likes of MK, but definitely do not give the enemy opportunities to hit you with high damage attacks as much as you can. Its kind of obvious with things like Falcos chaingrab. you'll see some people who platform camp like crazy and will refuse to touch the ground and take 30% by lasers if neccesary, I think its a better option than running a 50:50 to damage him and take a lot from the CG
The point was more than just knowing your available options; it's being able to access them in a manner that actually allows you to use those options. If you take to long to think about what your options are, they won't even be relevant by the time you make a decision. By move from group to group, you can quickly think of all of your relevant options and make faster choices.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Going back on topic...

My shortcuts for Mario would be Utilt lock any heavy character when at low percent and fireball approach the faster characters.

Fireball or retreating Dair if opponent is aggresive.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
So you're saying that you should have little blocks in your memory full of moves and tactics that are applicable? But these blocks have to be able to be accessed easy.
TBH you should add in quick recall techniques (such as using patterns to be able to memorise more than 7 things at a time), I like to remember spacing, combos, edgeguarding and have almost videos stuck away inside them. I am currently trying to make a "Zoning" memory block. Now this will be different for most people since I have a fairly visual (apparently almost photographic) memory, I remember videos and pictures extremely well. Having these able to be recalled in certain situations reminds me of good options.

After using these for a while your memory blocks become muscle memory, so thinking spacing makes you immediately space your moves.
Anybody get that?

Edit: Lol I'll use my networking now
For Spacing: I remember a specific match, mainly against GnW (who happens to be my main practice against) of ZSS retreating Side-b outspacing many different moves (most vividly, avoiding Dair and hitting GnW in teh middle of FD), also hitting Dsmash at its maximum range (Hitting GnW out of an approaching Bair on halberd).
Combos: My Dsmash combos (ie >Dtilt, Uair juggles kill combos), Suit piece aggro (from GnW vids on youtube mainly, and I think one is Dazwa vs Fatal?).
Edgeguarding: I remember Bair'ing a Snake in Cypher off YI, Dsmash>Bair stagespike GnW on FD again, and Side-B gimps against MK on delfino.

Throwback

Smash Lord
I think this is a post about knowing your options, more than anything. I don't have much to add since the OP really did make me think 'ok'.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Except, you know, it wasn't a good troll. A good troll pisses people off, this just made people think your vag typed a sentence for you.
Ummm....

I'm a guy..

That's why I said "I don't care about this AT ALL"

There was nothing really to troll there, I was just spamming. Would it please you if I said "a spammer's dream" If so, I don't give a **** because you're not important.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Ok guys, I thought Nixernator brought up a good point, so I quoted him in the OP and added an extra section for those of you who already read it and weren't just randomly going to read the whole thing again.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
_milktea wasn't bad at all at Melee, but she wasn't a pro. She did team with PC Chris a few times though.

SOLID is the worst example of female smash player, obviously.

§witch

Smash Lord
Ummm....

I'm a guy..

That's why I said "I don't care about this AT ALL"

There was nothing really to troll there, I was just spamming. Would it please you if I said "a spammer's dream" If so, I don't give a **** because you're not important.
I know you're a guy, I was making a joke captain suffragette.

I'm not important? Who the **** do you think you are? I'm pretty sure you have no more worth than anyone else on this site, considering this site means **** all. If you think that your little pretend friends that you have here make you important, go ahead; live in your delusions.

Top Bottom