• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Short Hop" or "Small Jump"

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
Seems Sakurai claims the short hop to be called the 'Small Jump'

Question is, will anyone starting using that term, or still use Short Hop since they're used to it?

Myself...I'll say whatever comes first.

Crystallion

Smash Ace
Well, it has been called "short hop" for a long time now, so I don't think "short hop" will be changed into "small jump", it sounds way cooler that way ;) I don't really care, I guess I will call it by both names

MrLegend

Smash Apprentice
I'd rather use small jump. Since Sakurai is giving them names, I don't see why not. We are doing it for Tether Recoveries. The only reason we stop using official names is if they are mouthfuls like reflector.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
Small jump, if only because "short hop" is a redundant statement. Unless someone here knows how to do a "long hop".

EpitomeX

Smash Cadet
Seems Sakurai claims the short hop to be called the 'Small Jump'

Question is, will anyone starting using that term, or still use Short Hop since they're used to it?

Myself...I'll say whatever comes first.
'Short Jump' makes more sense, as a jump by connotation is usually long, whereas a hop is comparatively short.

However I'll stick with short hop, as it's what I'm used to and I say the fans get veto on decisions like this, so too bad for Sakurai.

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
imo it feel more like a half jump raather than small

anyway the same question could be asked about
"Ukemi" and teching

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
'Short Jump' makes more sense, as a jump by connotation is usually long, whereas a hop is comparatively short.

However I'll stick with short hop, as it's what I'm used to and I say the fans get veto on decisions like this, so too bad for Sakurai.
yeah sakurai is late in naming some of the basic techninques

Black/Light

Smash Master
I will use Small Jump.

Not only did Sakurai himself name it that but the term "short hop" always sounded really stupid to me. A hop its self is short so a short hop wouldn't even be a hop as much as a pop bearly at tippy toe level which makes the term a redundant statement.

Milln

Smash Champion
The word "Short" is what is making everything sound better.
Short Hop
Short Jump
vs.
Small Hop
Small Jump

Short just comes out better. I'll probably use Short Hop and only replace Hop with Jump if everyone declares it so.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
keep in mind sakurai is japanese and that the english site is basically a translation of the japanese site. Their terms are pretty simple because of that.
Excluding the obvious fact the name (Short Hop) is a double positive (or whatever it would be called)

Hop means short jump...

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Anyone who makes the argument that since Sakurai named it, it should be called that, should now get used to calling teching Ukemi lest they don't like being hypocritical. >_>
I'll use Short Jump since it is the official name now, and ill use Ukemi too. Althought it may have a weaboo ring to it, it just sounds better.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
SHFF or SJFF (no L-cancel, remember, unless if its Lucario if I remembered correctly)

SHL or SJL

You choose...

kainsword

Smash Journeyman
Small jump, if only because "short hop" is a redundant statement. Unless someone here knows how to do a "long hop".
Yes, actually. Captain Falcon can jump over a relatively long distance with a small, vertically speaking, hop.

Short Hop is a better name in my opinion, other names he proposes may be used. I think Teching and Short Hop will remain in place of Sakurai's crap names, and the others will be assimilated.

Ukemi is probably the worst name he used. It can't easily be used as a verb, because it's a noun. Meaning we would use phrases like "I got stomped by Falcon, but by Ukemi-ing I was able to get out of the way of the second stomp."

Teching is much more user-friendly in this aspect, besides the fact it has more history, 1 less letter to type, and is only 1 syllable, compared to Ukemi's 3 syllables.

Oh, and hi Kelexo! I didn't notice that you posted this at first. I'm that guy on your X-Fire friend list that you rarely talk to. =\

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
"Ukemi" makes more sense than "tech." i'll probably use both terms, but it will take a while to get used to the new one.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Bleh, I've been using Ukemi for a while, I don't know wat that wasn't the norm hahah. I never knew why it was called 'teching.' Short Hop hoever, will stick with me.

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
Sakurai didn't name these terms in English. Nate Beedledorf just translated them for us. Do you really want Nate Beedledorf to dictate your lingo?

Mama

Smash Ace
Simple answer. Because the "pros" and tourney players use the term short hop. Most of the people who were against any for of advanced technique will clamor for small jumping. And I find it funny that the some argue "Short hop? then what is a long hop?" Well whats a big jump?

Anyway the fans have already named this technique so they'll stick with it. Sakurai's word is not law to my like the people who like to plug "the way Sakurai intended" as often as "Melee 2.0"

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I hate the term "short hop" because people try to pass it off as an advanced technique. It's not. It's a basic element in just about any game that involves jumping. Are you trying to tell me that "Super Mario Bros." was a highly technical game?

gn0m

Smash Cadet
Short hop or small jump - a truly important question indeed! Regardless of what term people will choose to use, I am happy that this important matter is finally discussed!

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
I hate the term "short hop" because people try to pass it off as an advanced technique. It's not. It's a basic element in just about any game that involves jumping. Are you trying to tell me that "Super Mario Bros." was a highly technical game?
this man is correct, it's just analog jump (hold it down longer for bigger jump) as apposed to a digital, hit jump = standard hight jump.

I think it's funny, everyone is talking like this is a new name but I bet they've been calling it this since the original smash. It could be a rough translation but I doubt it. Everyone is like "our term is older fools" but I bet it isn't, we were just ignorant about the official name until now. Why so resistant to change? Noobs cry about them all being real moves, but it's equally hilarious to all the pros saying " that name is the gay, I will cry and call it whatever the hell I named it" I mean seriously?

Top Bottom