• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Pressure Research Project (updated 8/13/07) - Now With Color!

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I was thinking Fox might be able to cross-up wityh wavedash from shiled. I was doing it a few times vs a friend. I would WD outta shine behind him and grab.

Also if two grabs occur at the same time won't they just cancel each other out or is that true about he player 1 thing? If it is, then....

GHEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!

But it doesn't matter too much because most of the attacks thrown in a match will have varying priority so that rule concerning priority won't take affect too often.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
the priority thing is true. You can check M2K's stat list if you feel the need. But i've only ever seen clear evidence of it twice. ever.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I knew about the rule already. I just thought that when two grabs connected then both combatants would be flung part.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I thought you guys might want to know, a simple nair to shine to firefox takes out a good 3/4 of an enemy's shield.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I thought you guys might want to know, a simple nair to shine to firefox takes out a good 3/4 of an enemy's shield.
Not that i'm taking this entirely seriously, but the charging flames do prevent escape. For your estimate, does that require you to hit them with the main part?

Randizzle

Smash Ace
so does that mean that you can break a shield with nair shine ff or does the fire just burn you as soon as the shield shrinks to such a level? Because if it does, that would be quite hot (no pun intended).

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I think he was saying Niar>shine>jc firefox. Which is legitimate pressure up until the part where the charge burn ends. Might catch people by surprise too.

hey... What's so fail about it?

edit: @ Emblem Lord: Turns out, a shinegrab is not shield grabable

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
scotu: I know. I already discussed this with M2K when we were in PA over the weekend.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
you can dodge roll while the firefox is active and then punish badly
I've done it on a few occasions, and I have never been punished. Considering the firefox has no lag and you have a quick getaway even if they do think to auto-roll by c-stick buffering, it is unlikely you will be severely punished.

Marth doesn't even have time to roll and dash attack unless he rolls immediately after the shine.

Of course, anyone that firefoxes at someone on a repeated basis is a fool, but it is a surprisingly effective tool. Use it the same way a Marth player can use the back throw to make an opponent waste their jump; don't do it several times a match, and don't make it a staple of your gameplay.

Not that i'm taking this entirely seriously, but the charging flames do prevent escape. For your estimate, does that require you to hit them with the main part?
When I do it, I generally do it on the outside of their shield because that is generally where my shine is positioned. When the firefox starts, it hits towards the center of the shield. It rarely shield pokes them unless they are DIng their shield down/up and away.

What I like so much about it is that when Fox full jump approaches, if the enemy is in their shield they often stay in their shield until Fox attacks, thus lowering their shield even more than the standard attack would.

They CAN auto-roll at certain points in the firefox, but it happens so fast rolling is generally not an option that comes to mind.

The only time I have ever broken a shield with the firefox has been when I did a nair to shine, shine again, then JC to a firefox, and then hitting them with the actual firefox attack. This would not really happen at high level play, as most would know to roll or would have such low shield that the firefox would hit them.

I'd also like to note that certain characters with large grab ranges can actually grab Fox out of his firefox while he does this if they are spaced correctly or if their shield is light enough to push them away so they don't get burned.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Something interesting that i found is that for every 4 frames your shield is not up, it regains 1 frame of being up (not light shield).

SCOTU

Smash Hero
i'm not sure M2K has all these frames memorized. It's not worth memorizing these frames, it just worth looking at, to see what you can do, and when to do it, then remember that. Even I don't have all these frames memorized.

robyextreme

Smash Ace
Thanks for the information.

I've pretty much covered all technical stuff with fox except multishining.

My record is only 5 multis without leaving the ground, 8 with falco. :]

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Congrats. 5's more than enough to do consistantly, and it's more about the speed than the # anyway. (which is why i went from a consistancy of around 10 to about 5, but 3-4x the speed.)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
If you'll notice, much of this goes to show *why* pressuring shields is a waste of time, and is more about how to escape other peoples shield pressure on you. You'll also notice that i argue pretty strongly against pressuring shields in favor of shine-grabbing, or just being more defensive about it. You might also notice that i recently denounced Falco's pillar as useless and a mistake to do (they could be doing something better/ safer).

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You pressure to force a reaction, then punish. You don't pressure for the sake of pressuring.

Brookman

Smash Hero
You pressure to force a reaction, then punish. You don't pressure for the sake of pressuring.

You don't need to hump someone's shield to pressure them into rolling, and it's not impossible to be grabbed while pillaring. Pillaring is a stupid thing to do, there are much safer ways to apply pressure safely, and you have much better options when someone is in their shield. I think you should know that.

That's a good thing about playing marth, you don't worry about having to be technical and pressuring shields, you just grab them.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Brookman: lol. Well, it's good to talk, but alot of things are viable in theory.

In truth pillaring has it's place. And any good Falco won't abuse it. They will mix-up with grabs and other tricks. And yeah, you don't have to pressure shields to get someone to roll, but who said I was talking about a roll specifically? I said reaction. This could be anything from a misstimed shield grab to a jump.

By getting in someone's face you put them in the hot seat.

Think fast or die.

Know what I'm saying?

BTW I'm sensing a little attitude in that post of yours. I been getting alot of that lately when from you when you comment on my post. There something you wanna say to me?

Also I like pressuring shields with Marth. It's fun. Also Foxes pillar is not good. Falco's is better. When I talk about pilaring I'm tlaking about Falco usually. And a good fox and falco will mix in multi-shines, grabs and other crap with his pillar.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Brookman: lol. Well, it's good to talk, but alot of things are viable in theory.

In truth pillaring has it's place. And any good Falco won't abuse it. They will mix-up with grabs and other tricks. And yeah, you don't have to pressure shields to get someone to roll, but who said I was talking about a roll specifically? I said reaction. This could be anything from a misstimed shield grab to a jump.

By getting in someone's face you put them in the hot seat.

Think fast or die. Know what I'm saying?

BTW I'm sensing a little attitude in that post of yours. I been getting alot of that lately when from you when you comment on my post. There something you wanna say to me?

Also I like pressuring shields with Marth. It's fun. Also Foxes pillar is not good. Falco's is better. When I talk about pilaring I'm tlaking about Falco usually. And a good fox and falco will mix in multi-shines, grabs and other crap with his pillar.
Donkey Kong's down b has it's place too. Almost every move or technique in this game has a purpose, and you're right, GOOD players know how to mix it up, but the really good players don't need to come into topics and read about tricks like pressuring shields. I don't post cause the good players read these forums, I post because players who want to be better read these forums, and because I want to be better, too.

If someone mistimes a jump or shield grab that just means YOU got lucky. Of course there's the whole risk reward aspect to it, but against the better players it's just not as good to do really, cause they won't mistime a shield grab or jump. That's what makes them good. I said roll specifically cause it's pretty much the safest thing to do, given that a quick player will react and follow you if they expect it etc etc etc. That's where the whole think fast or die aspect comes into play.

I know you're plenty smart, and I definitely don't have anything against you, I've only met you once or twice, and not even formally. It would be kinda petty to hold a grudge against someone cause of how they post. I'll try to be less cockish about responding to people, but it's kinda fun, you know what I'm saying?

I'm just objectively being contradictory, with a hint of ****. It just so happens you post a lot more than most people, so I have more opportunity to be contradictory towards you. Don't take offense, cause I don't intend to offend anyone, just run with it and have fun.

How do you pressure shields with marth?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ok, I see where you are coming from.

As for how I pressure shields? Usually with a d-tilt then cancel into something. Or shuffled fair and then dash cross-up since people tend to shield grab instincively. So shuffled fair to dash cross-up is usually a free grab. It happens quick so I can usually net an easy grab combo too.

Pressuring shields with Marth is stupidly easy since he is in no danger what so ever while doing it. He just has to space well. Generally he does one or two well spaced moves. He is fast enough to chase a roll on reaction. Although you can usually tell where someone is going to roll based on where they are on the stage.

Mostly when I say pressure I want to get someone to try to shield grab when it's stupid to do so. With Marth it's pretty easy. With Fox and Falco it would be harder just because people tend to shield grab alot less.

There are other things Marth could do of course. But for it to be effective your opponent would have to sit in the shield which they won't do for more then two hits most likely. Although if I want to be evil I'll just wavedash to d-tilt the whole time. Good with proper spacing, which the wavedashing will give me. I'm crouching so I can automatically CC. D-tilt is cancellable. They can't rush me otherwise they take a hit. Jump-ins are farily easy to punish on reaction thanks to d-tilt being cancellable.

It's all good.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Can fox pillar like falco ??
Yeah but he doesn't make the same shield stun as falco does and it isn't a great technique is just something to mix up sometimes or just to have fun with it, look good doing it etc. Most good players will prefer just a grab after dair or dair>jc shine>grab.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Dair>shine>grab is one of the safest/ best things to do. Shine>jump away is another good one. Shine>full Hopped nair is decent. When i'm messing around, i'll shine>full jump>FF>land>shine>repeat.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
is waveshining past a person's shield at less risk from shield grabs than a dair pillar? i'm wondering how many vulnerable frames you have there before you are past their grab in general.

also..have you gotten much use out of the buffered C-stick jumps out of shield scotu? i'm curious if i should try those instead of just trying to master the timing of shield grabs normally.

though i'm guessing i should always be buffering jumps out of shield into aerials? right now i just try to jump out..which is probably stupid

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Dair pillars are dumb and always get you grabbed. a waveshine past into either a bair or a pivot grab work well. I used to buffer jumps for a short time, then just went more towards shffling manually instead.

and you never want to shffl into a shield.

Top Bottom