• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shield Breaking Tier

Zen Yore

Smash Ace
Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth
I was wondering if we could do a list about shield breaking tiers.
it could be interesting.

I will place chars in order for my opinion, then you can post yours and I'll update the thread, and add the reasons after.

Easy Shield Breaking

1. Kirby

Kirby is the easiest character to shield break with since his utilt is so quick and uses the opponents shield very easily.

E.g. : Utilt, Utilt, Utilt, Fsmash, Jab

2. Ness

It's very easy to shield break an opponent with Ness, since he can move while he breaks the shield with his uber-fast DJC.

E.g. : DJC'd Uair uair uair uair.

3. Luigi

If you do a dair on the opponent while he doesn't shield, he's finished. If he shields while you're dairing on him, he's still finished. His up b has huge damage on the shield.

E.g. : Dair-uair, Up B

4. Mario

Just like Luigi, but since he does not have a pingy up-b, you can still usmash.

E.g. : Dair-uair, Usmash

Clever Shield Breaking

5. Yoshi

Just like Ness, Yoshi can DJC, but his DJC is far from being as fast as Ness's.

E.g. : DJC'd nair, nair, nair, nair

6. Samus

Samus is floaty and cannot combo. However, she can easily shield break the opponent if she has full-charged gun.

E.g. : Full up b when opponent is shielding on a platform above you.

7. Fox

Fox is definitely the best character to combo with. His combo variety is huge ! Unfortunately, his shield-breaking abilities aren't awesome.

E.g. : Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine Shine Usmash

Hard Shield Breaking

8. Jigglypuff

Jigglypuff is great at comboing, but shield breaking withher his very difficult, since she is floaty, just like samus, and needs a great timing for perfect dair landing to keep a shield breaking combo going

E.g. : Dair, Dair, B

9. Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong is cheap, so are his shield breaking combos. If his Giant Punch is fully-charged, and fairs on an opponent shield, your good to go.

E.g. : Fair, Charged Giant Punch

10. Pikachu

Very difficult, his shield breaking variety is small.
E.g. : Dair, Usmash, Usmash, Upwards F-tilt

11. Captain Falcon
E.g. : Nair, F-tilt, F-tilt, F-tilt

12. Link
E.g. : Fair, 2nd hit Fair, Usmash, Jab

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Does Kirby's Dair-Utilt combo when breaking shields? Every time I do it, the up-tilt hits the opponent, not their shield (I'm not complaining :p). Am I mis-timing it, or is it just not possible?

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the easy ones... But Falcon should be mid tier (F-tilt should be diagonal up, it makes shieldbreaking easy)
and Fox hard tier. I think Fox's shieldbreak is one of the hardest to do in-game, if not the hardest. And I mean real shieldbreaks, not just shield pressure.
Yoshi is ok at clever, I think.
Maybe Luigi should also be clever because his shieldbreak is a bit situational. Luigi must already be at almost full height of his short hop to do it correctly.

Edit: I changed my mind, yoshi should be easy tier

DMoogle

A$
I've *never* played anyone who has been able to break shields with Fox's shine. Maybe it's just harder to get the timing right so consistently online?

And with Ness I think you mean d-air.

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
i think link is easier than pikachu and fox, and mario easier than luigi

let house chime in lol

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
I find that I break shields most often with yoshi.
It normally happens when someone is on a high percent, and I got them stuck on a platform above me.
They think I am about to u-air, n-air or b-air for the kill, and shield, but I use a d-air and shield goes kaboom.
Best unintentional mindgames ever.

DMoogle

A$
Luigi is easier than Yoshi and Ness, imo. D-air to u-air to up-b is a piece of cake. DJC is much harder to control.

I agree Yoshi should be moved up to Easy though.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
samus has a few options when it comes to shield breaking:

1.) i have been able to break a few shields with a few fsmashes

2.) another option that i have developed and have called it the "sammy double combo" is u-air up-B. can only be done from below the opponent

3.) and last but not least, i have broken some shields with just up-B in the **** tent

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
for 3rd 4th fifth

Id say the oppposite

Yoshi, then Mario, then Luigi

Yoshi has DJC down air and down air on platforms
Mario's easier thank luigi due to lower short hops and an overall better down air for shield hits.

P D

Smash Ace
captain falcon can sh double uair that sheild to breaaaaakage

Top Bottom